Start by marking “Chickerella” as Want to Read:
Chickerella

Chickerella

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
When Chickerella's new stepmother and stepsisters move in, life in the chicken coop takes a turn for the worse. Chickerella won't even be able to attend the Fowl Ball, that is, until her Fairy Goosemother appears. The unusually stylish Chickerella dazzles the prince in her eggsquisite gown, but at the stroke of midnight, she must race home before the spell is broken.
Published April 1st 2006 by Holiday House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chickerella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickerella

The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeCinder Edna by Ellen JacksonAdelita by Tomie dePaolaYeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie
Cinderella Stories
103 books — 304 voters
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
Farmyard Fun
145 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

RLL22017-Mary
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Chickerella is a fractured tale of Cinderella. The main characters are the step mom, evil step sisters and of course the chicken. It starts off by Chickerella's father getting remarried to a hen from a different farm. The father goes away and the chick is stuck with the step mom and evil step sisters. She did all the chores and was always made fun of. One night as the evil step sisters went to the Fowl Ball; where the chicks fairy goose mother showed up and granted her wish of going to the ball. ...more
Malissa
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Because maybe the prince does't really want to get married either! ;)
Amy
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, humorous
This is an "egg-cellent" retelling of the Cinderella story.
Katie F
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so cleverly written! The word choice was very attentive to detail and fitting the theme of “chick”. A few of my favorite lines from the entire book were almost immediately when the authors Jane and Auch write “Chickerella was eggscited to have a new family” and then “Before long, the stepmother sent Chickerella’s father off on a wild goose chase. Then she proceeded to redecorate”. These lines are both comical and clever and they stick to the typical plot of Cinderella in which the ...more
Jordan Schwab
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chickerella is a fractured tale based on the fairy tale Cinderella. I have always liked the tale of Cinderella and I am from the country so when I saw this title, naturally I picked it up. The illustrations are not really illustrations, but rather "sets". This aspect also caught my eye.

When you pick up the book there is a dust jacket with Chickerella in her favorite color dress striking a pose on a dark blueish purple background. The title is in pink and is in a rather girlish font. When you ope
(NS) Laura Jackson
Chickerella’s single father married a hen, who had two daughters, from another farm. The stepmother sent Chickerella’s father on a wild goose chase and he never returned. The stepmother then sent Chickerella to live in the springhouse and do all of the chores. While living in the springhouse, her eggs were becoming transparent and were made of glass. Then the stepsisters announced that the prince had invited them to a ball. Chickerella helped the stepsisters get ready for this ball, wishing she ...more
Kristie Wurglitz
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
Chickerella's single father marries a hen from another hen. At first things seem great, until her new family turns her into a servant. She is no longer allowed to live in the main coop anymore or eat with her step family, but must cook and clean and do all the work at her new home lifestyle; she isn't even allowed to go to the Fowl Ball, that is, until she meets her Fairy Goosemother who helps her make a gown and go to the Fowl Ball. She gets to dance and meets the prince. Upon leaving she leave ...more
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Genre: Fantasy

Review:From School Library Journal
Grade 1-3–"Chickerella had a wonderful chickhood until one night when a fox got into the coop and carried off her mother." Thus begins a new fractured fairy tale in which Chickerella lays glass eggs and everyone wants to go to the prince's Fowl Ball. Though Chickerella has no interest in getting married and only wants to see the fancy gowns, her stepmother will not allow her to go. To the rescue comes the Fairy Goosemother, who has a penchant for f
Hannah Moles
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Chickerella is an, as you could guess, fractured fairy tale based on the original story, Cinderella. Though I think the idea of recreating stories is fun and adds new renditions of old classics, I'm not sure I really enjoyed this specific story. Mary Jane and Herm Auch did a wonderful job on their illustrations that must have taken forever. With each character made separately and with new emotions, as well as costumes and new backdrops, I can't imagine the effort they put into the book. With tha ...more
NS-Christine Johnson
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
This is an interesting take on the classic story of Cinderella! All of the main characters are chickens and roosters, and Chickerella's stepsisters are named Ovumelda and Cholestera! Chickerella is forced to do chores and make clothes for her two evil stepsisters. She doesn't even sleep in the coop anymore. When the prince announces he is having a ball to find a bride, the two stepsisters put Chickerella to work. When they finally leave for the ball, Chickerella gets a surprise from her Fairy Go ...more
Christina
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a charming and photographic tale of fowls gone wild. The traditional Cinderella take is retold with myriad feathers and scrap fabric samples. Words like 'eggciting" and " eggzample" are invented to add to the satirical feel. The photographs of hand-crafted chickens that illustrate this fun text are memorable for their unabashed tackiness. Chickerella lays precious, and translucent, glass eggs while the prince, who really wasn't looking for wife (that was his mother's idea--he loves fashi ...more
Dawn
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
We may be reading Ella Enchanted for Grade 3 book club. This was a great way to lead into the discussion about different versions of stories. We also have read The Bremen Town Musicians in Open Court. One of the members of our class found a Grimm's Fairy Tales in the library that had it as well. After watching a video, we learned that versions of stories really vary!

The illustrations in this story are amazing! We could have read through this book and pointed out interesting things for 30 minutes
(NS) - Heather Hayman
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this new spinoff of Cinderella in a similar story involving chickens, Chickerella is forced to live with her step mother and step sisters after her mother is taken by a fox from the coop. The familiar storyline leads to their home taking a turn for the worst with Chickerella being forced to complete the chores and prepare the food. With so much to be done, Chickerella won't be able to attend the Fowl Ball until her Fairy Goosemother appears in time to save the day. Chickerella dazzles the pri ...more
Alexandra Inmon
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Minnoia
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a nice fractured fairy tale book based on "Cinderella." The characters are all changed to ducks, but it follows the same story line as Cinderella. On example of how the story is changed is instead of a glass slipper, the prince is seeking whoever laid the glass egg. The book uses creative language to help make the story unique to chickens. For example, uses eggtravagant. The illustrations are very colorful and would be considered silly for most children.
I would use this book as a read-
Briony
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Wow, this is an interesting book. I was actually unsure of what rating I wanted to give it. There is some humor sprinkled throughout the book. Chickenrella's step-sisters are Ovumelda and Cholestera. However, the redundant use of "egg" became slightly irritating, and I'm pretty sure that the step-mom fed the dad to the wolves. Furthermore, the "illustrations" are wacky. They are almost too distracting.

I did, however, enjoy that Chickenrella and the prince didn't want to get married and that Chic
Emily Sirota
This book was very interesting. It was a very cute spinoff of the original Cinderella, the author used very funny replacements from the original Cinderella. This book has very cute photos that are realistic and colorful. These really catch the readers eye and keeps them interested in what they're reading. Over all I think this book is super cute and something different, and gets the reader insterested.
Sandy
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was quite a surprise at the end. My daughter loves Cinderella, so I grabbed this at the library because the photos looked hilarious and it appeared to be Cinderella themed. I don't want to put the ending into my review because I'd like people to be as pleasantly surprised as I was. Bravo to the author! This is a great twist to the classic story for girls to hear. I plan to buy a copy of our own when I return this to the library.
Meltha
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one was way too fun. I'm starting to wonder if there's a whole subgenre of chicken-Cinderella mashups after Brett's Cinders. This one is just wacky, though, loaded with egg puns and using cute little mannequin birds dressed up in formal wear. The detail in the photographs is really well done; at one point, Cinderella's father is reading her "Peeping Beauty," which is apparently another poultry-based book by the Auchs. The ending is hilarious and also a lot of fun.
Erin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the story, but I'm not wild about the pictures. Both Chickerella and the Prince go to the ball just to see the gowns. In the end, they both, along with the Fairy Goosemother, start a fashion line and work happily ever after.

The photos seriously can be a bit creepy as they're all of chicken doll forms covered in feathers. They remind me of old viewfinder pictures for some reason.

Okay for preschool storytime.
Stephanie Christy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a silly version of a classic Cinderella story. In this book Chickerella lives a happy life until her father marries a wicked women with two daughters, Ovumelda and Cholestera. The illustrations are very silly that the hens are dressed in fashionable special affect clothing. Even though the pictures are very silly, the message in the book is interesting. Instead of getting married and living happily ever after, they open up their own fashion line called Chickerella.
Heidi-Marie
Feb 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
The illustrations in this book were scary. I don't think I would want to read this to my child. Too busy and bizarre. And some of the play on words and the adaptation of making this a chicken Cinderella would get completely lost on the young audience. I can appreciate, however, how much work it must have taken for them to create the book.
Emily Steffen
Any reader that loves Cinderella will love 'Chickerella', a slight spin-off. While it does follow the same story line as Cinderella, it goes off track at times. However, these small changes are what make the story unique and funny! The pictures of this book are also very interesting and eye-catching!
 (NS) Maria
Oct 10, 2009 rated it liked it

This story has great illustrations and it's a typical Cinderella story. It's about a chicken named, Chickerella. Chickerella's new stepmother and stepsisters move in the chicken coop. Chickerella is forced to cook and clean for her new family. Chickerella is upset because she cannot attend the Fowl ball. When her fairy goosemother appears things begin to change.

Cordelia Dinsmore
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book just worked for me in every way. My granddaughter loved the pictures with all the glittery fabric and the silly expressions. I loved the humor, although I realize very small children wouldn't get it. Nevertheless, it was a fun and unique rendition of the classic story with clever adaptations to fit the target age.
Mary
A very zany retelling of Cinderella. All of the characters are chickens and Chickerella and the prince are into fashion. Many chicken references throughout the book will be lost on kids not aware of farm life. Adults will need to read the book themselves before reading it to kids because of many made up words. All in all a very funyy story.
Amy
Sticking with the folk/fairy tale adaptation theme, this is a version of Cinderella. The note on the colophon regarding the art is worth reading as it explains how the chickens were made.

This one doesn't end like the typical Cinderella story. (view spoiler) Yup. This one fell flat with me.
Cana
Aug 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Mommy says: Auch has rewritten a number of fairy tales from a chicken's perspective. In Chickerella, as in her other books, Auch heavily loads the narrative with poultry puns. It went beyond annoying to downright distracting, to the point where I refuse to read any more of her books. Argh!
E.M. Kaplan
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
One of the most unintentionally disturbing renditions of the Cinderella tale ever. Picture this -- Cinderella fleeing the ball at midnight with no time to stop for the glass egg she's laying. Makes me think of Kids in the Hall.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
So ok, can you really screw up Cinderella? Well the answer is yes, this story was just strange in so many ways. I might he liked it more if it had a different title, but it was just an poor take off of Cinderella.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sootface
  • Betsy Who Cried Wolf
  • Cinderella's Rat
  • The Korean Cinderella
  • Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story)
  • Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella
  • The Way Meat Loves Salt: A Cinderella Tale from the Jewish Tradition
  • Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale
  • The Gift of the Crocodile: A Cinderella Story
202355
Mary Jane Auch also writes as MJ Auch.

The thought of becoming a writer never occurred to MJ Auch as a child. Her only literary efforts in those days were the plays which she and her girlfriend, Noreen, wrote for their marionettes. They produced these extravaganzas in Noreen’s garage and organized the neighborhood boys into a sales force to sell tickets and refreshments.

Summer visits to both of MJ’
More about Mary Jane Auch...