Start by marking “Morlock Night” as Want to Read:
Morlock Night

Morlock Night

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  645 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
What happened when the time machine returned?

Morlock Night is a memorably different excursion in science fiction - a gripping classic adventure in past, present and future - with some startling surprising!
Published 1989 by Grafton (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Morlock Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morlock Night

☮Karen
I read this for a challenge. It was a challenge.

This is Steampunk, as I go with legs  kicking and arms flailing into a genre that two weeks ago I'd never even heard of.  Time machines; the infamous Merlin the Magician; an apocalyptic invasion;  long walks at night, not to mention a submarine ride, within the underground sewers of London.  What the heck.

Imagine what would happen if a gent from 1892 England invented a Time Machine, traveled millions of years into the future, and then died there.
Andrew
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So what do I make of this book - good question and one I am not sure how well I can answer - especially so since I do not really want yo give the story away. However one thing I will say is that there is an introduction by Tim Powers which actually explains some of the points I picked up and the similarities to one of his books I read some years ago.

So the book, well first of all I didn't feel t was a sequel as such to the Time Machine (did I feel disappointed since I had gone out my way to read
Marvin
Aug 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The idea of a sequel to H. G. Wells' Time Machine is irresistible. Morlocks stealing the time machine and invading England of the 1890s? Fascinating. If only someone other than K. W. Jeter wrote this. Someone who actually had respect for the classic science fiction story. Instead we get a jumble in which the original plot of the Time Machine is jettisoned for a mishmash concerning King Arthur, Merlin and the lost city of Atlantis. Even then this could have been salvageable if not for Jeter's poo ...more
Ian Tregillis
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the roots of steampunk fiction
This book wasn't for me, unfortunately. I'm a little surprised, and more than a little disappointed, to have to say that.

As a reader I'm attracted to big, wild, crazy ideas. If the ideas are cool enough, I'm more than willing to look past the parts of a book that don't work quite as well. And this book -- one of the original steampunk novels, written by the man who originated the very term -- practically boils over with wonderful ideas. A direct sequel to H. G. Wells's The Time Machine? Sign me
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
How could I possibly resist The Time Machine sequel? If I were to label this in comparison to the present and popular steampunk books, it would hardly pass as one. I would not compare them though. This is steampunk. Hell, the author coined the term!
The story starts right after the dinner the narrator attended in The Time Machine. Edward Hocker leaves with Dr. Ambrose and gets dragged into a fight for saving mankind and Time itself.

There are more tropes in this story than it is necessary, but
David Merrill
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd sequel to H. G. Wells' book, The Time Machine. Jeter interweaves Wells' creation with Arthurian legend and Atlantean lore. On top of that, Morlock Night is one of the earliest examples of Steam Punk. The author of the afterword credits Jeter with not only the coining of the term but also the founding of the genre. He forgets James Blaylock's The Ape Box Affair predates this novel. It's hard to believe they along with Tim Powers started a sub-genre with their books that became so ...more
Sean O'Hara
What a mess this book is. It reads like a comic book written by two or three different people, none of whom ever spoke to each other about what the plot's supposed to be. I mean, okay, a sequel to The Time Machine's a cool idea, but then Jeter throws in King Arthur and Atlantis for no good reason. He disregards the whole point of the original novel to introduce intelligent Morlocks who capture the time machine and use it to invade the 19th Century. Why? Shits and giggles, I guess. We're never gi ...more
Tim Pendry
This is a jolly old romp, written in 1979, but it doesn’t deserve the praise heaped on it by Tim Powers in his introduction and implicitly in the intelligent backgrounder by Adam Roberts at the end.

Powers’ own ‘Anubis Gates’ (1983) is vastly superior as one of the originating texts of ‘steampunk’

‘Morlock Night’ quite simply does not stand up to scrutiny as the equivalent of, say, ‘Neuromancer’, the genuinely well written founding novel of Cyberpunk.

Roberts does, however, usefully point out th
Elizabeth K.
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: SDMB thread
Shelves: 2013-new-reads
I'm not sure how to rate this, because this book was hilariously hack. It was a quick, fun read in a high camp sense. I wonder if anyone has ever done a graphic novel version of this (the fact that I'm not even interested enough to look this up probably says something), because it seems like the kind of thing that would work even better with visuals, the Edwardian guy gaping at the Morlocks swarming all over London with an "OMFG!" look.

So yeah, it's a sequel to The Time Machine in which the Mor
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Having read "The Time Machine" and Stephen Baxter's brilliant and amusing "The Time Ships", I just HAD to read this. What a shame. The story has much potential but unfortunately it's padded out with an element of fantasy, King Arthur and the search for Excalibur, that really does not belong and, in my opinion, ruins it.
It turns out that K.W. Jeter wrote the story as part of a project relating to the Arthurian legend, and NOT as a hommage to, and development of, H.G.Wells' story. To claim it as o
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Flaming London
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
Kevin Wayne Jeter (born 1950) is an American science fiction and horror author known for his literary writing style, dark themes, and paranoid, unsympathetic characters. He is also credited with the coining of the term "Steampunk." K. W. has written novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universe, and has written three (to date) sequels to Blade Runner.

Series:
* Doctor Adder

Series contributed to
More about K.W. Jeter...

“Over the vistas broke a cold gray light, such as seen in those false dawns that are neither night nor true morning, when the world and all its contents seem but shapes of mist, formed in vain hope and desire... If you awake from troubled sleep at such a time, you can only sit by the window and think of those that have been lost to you, those that followed your parents into those cold and heartless regions below the grass, silent and dark. Eventually, morning comes and the world resumes its solidity, but another tiny thread of ice has been stitched into your heart forever.” 6 likes
“I believe it " announced Tafe complacently.

"That my dear " said Ambrose "is because you grew up in a rough and violent world here just managing to live from day to day is easily considered a miracle. You are able to accept the truth no matter how astonishing its guise. Whereas our friend Hocker here is steeped in the overweening rationalism of his time and could mentally dismiss a mastodon in front of him if it happened to be wearing the wrong school tie.”
3 likes