Start by marking “By Any Means Necessary: Trials And Tribulations of the Making of Malcolm X” as Want to Read:
By Any Means Necessary: Trials And Tribulations of the Making of Malcolm X

By Any Means Necessary: Trials And Tribulations of the Making of Malcolm X

The director of Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever describes the troubles he encountered while making Malcolm X, a film based on the life of the slain African-American leader. Original.
Published December 1st 1992 by Hyperion (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about By Any Means Necessary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Any Means Necessary

Start your review of By Any Means Necessary: Trials And Tribulations of the Making of Malcolm X
Paul Bryant
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spike gives a rough-and-ready commentary on the whole process of making his crucial movie Malcolm X, between September 1990 and just before it opened on 18 November 1992. The book itself was issued a couple of weeks after the movie opened and it’s a shame they didn’t wait just a few weeks so Spike could have commented on its reception.

But he sure enough comments on a whole lot anyhow. I have never read a book like this before, where well known real people are berated, badmouthed, cursed at, calle
Dwayne Ackley
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A Great book by Spike Lee and Ralph Wiley about the making of "Malcolm X". An unbelievable film that came way too close to not getting finished. One of my favorite films.
Dankwa Brooks
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know why I bought this book about the film ‘Malcolm X’ (1992) but if you ever want to know how hard it is to get a film made in Hollywood ESPECIALLY a period piece epic, this is the book you should read. Even if you’re not that interested in how a movie is made, it is STILL an interesting read as a tale of “Trials and Tribulations”.

By Any Means Necessary is not just a means to piggyback on brother Malcolm’s famous phrase, but it crystallizes exactly the mentality Mr. Lee had in min
Matt Sautman
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this five stars, but somewhat like my review of Brokeback Mountain, I feel that I would give separate ratings based on the screenplay and what accompanied it. The screenplay here is a solid five stars. The way James Baldwin, Lee, and the rest of the screenwriters involved bring Malcolm to life through this script is stunning and transitions throughout his life with an incredible fluidity. I would rate the rest of the material here four stars, for the following two reasons: while the ...more
Jessie Drew
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing because of its honest way of discussing filmmaking, studios, and the subject of the movie itself. Essays from the core team that worked on the film lends to the book’s authenticity and if I may say, charm. Essential reading for cinephiles and non-cinephiles alike. I read the entire book, including the screenplay, in one day.
Jasmine Langdon
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Hathaway
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Spike left the diary approach behind for a more constructed personal narrative regarding his experience with making Malcolm X. With that construction comes a larger degree of self-consciousness so some of the more illuminating thoughts regarding his writing on earlier work, like She's Gotta Have It, are harder to come by. Those looking for the full experience of what it was like for Spike to make Malcolm X, there's a much better account in That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It. The inclusion of ...more
Jonathan Anderson
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The making of section doesn't end as much as stop (a complaint which is quickly becoming a cliche of mine), and I would've liked a bit more fleshing out of the process of getting donations from people to help finish the film, but overall yeah, this is about as warts and all and as open as I've seen a book about the making of film get. Spike's one of my favorites, and I really should find the books about his other films now.
Daniel Sloyan
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my prize for donating to his kickstarter. I love books about making movies, especially when they're written by people who were there. It does have some interesting aspects, but I wish he included more tales from the actual filming instead of about Malcolm X's real life and talking to those that new him. It was interesting to read the perspectives from other people involved with the film such as the producer, composer etc. An interesting read I just wish it had more details
Alejandro Camacho
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book talked about the movie that they made for Malcolm x he is a leader that has been killed for changing the world like it is now so read this book if you want this book is good. It talks why and how they killed him and how his life was in the past. I was thrilled by this book it was a good book it showed photos of the movie with Malcolm x in it.
"Greg Adkins"
Apr 26, 2017
Clint Maas
Nov 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.