Start by marking “Passenger to Frankfurt” as Want to Read:
Passenger to Frankfurt

Passenger to Frankfurt

Главный герой романа сэр Стэффорд Най, дипломат. Он летит из Малайзии в Лондон, но в связи с плохими погодными условиями самолет делает вынужденную посадку в аэропорту Франкфурта. В зале транзитных пассажиров франкфуртского аэропорта Най встречает молодую женщину, которая обращается к нему за помощью. Она просит Ная отдать ей его плащ, билет и паспорт, дабы она могла пройт ...more
Published January 1st 1972 by Fontana (first published September 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Passenger to Frankfurt, please sign up.
C. F. I believe poor Agatha was failing more than a bit by the 70's. If you're interested, look up on the NPR site for "Agatha Christie and Nuns Tell a…moreI believe poor Agatha was failing more than a bit by the 70's. If you're interested, look up on the NPR site for "Agatha Christie and Nuns Tell a Story of Alzheimer's," which ran on Radiolab, and on Morning Edition (6/1/10). I've been an Agatha fan since the early 60's, and I found the story fascinating (I find most of Radiolab fascinating). Mrs. Christie (Mallowan) was in her peak in the 40's & 50's, though she certainly had winners in the 20's and 30's, and even in the 60's. What a mind!!(less)

Peter
Oct 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"I hate to say it, but this was terrible. Dear Agatha was really losing it. Laughably, this is subtitled ""an Extraganza"", but it's more like a disaster.

Passenger is one of her thrillers, although the word hardly applies. Set in 1970, it starts out promisingly with unambitious diplomat Sir Stafford Nye accepting a daring proposal from the beautiful and enigmatic Countess Renata in the Frankfort airport. The next 100 pages are engaging as he tries to track down this woman, avoids som
Ahmad Sharabiani
Passenger to Frankfurt, Agatha Christie
When a bored diplomat is approached in a bleak airport by a woman whose life is in danger, his interest is aroused. In a moment of weakness, he agrees to lend her his passport and boarding ticket. Suddenly, his own life is on the line. Passenger to Frankfurt: An Extravanganza is a spy novel by Agatha Christie first published in the United Kingdom by the Collins Crime Club in September 1970.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه ژوئن سال 1994 میلادی
عنوان:
Simona Bartolotta
“Does anybody care to look at history nowadays?”

Passenger to Frankfurt is best known for being maybe the weirdest thing Agatha Christie ever wrote. I can understand why many would find it weird, but personally that is not the first word I would think of using. I think Passenger to Frankfurt won itself such unflattering epithet mostly because it comes from the mind of one of the most loved and acclaimed mystery writers of all times, an artist whom the public has learned to trust unconditionally, a pen so reliable it can do no wrong. In m/>Passenger
Moonlight Reader
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-women
I am ranking all of the Agatha Christie mysteries from worst to best. This book is 66/66.

Passenger to Frankfurt was published in 1970, very late in Christie's career. In fact, there are only 5 books that were published after P2F - Nemesis, Elephants Can Remember, Postern of Fate, Curtain and Sleeping Murder, and of those five, both Curtain and Sleeping Murder, were written many years prior and held for publication until the end of Christie's career.

Reason for the ranking: Passenger to Frankfurt is an execrable book that was only published because it was written by Agatha Chricareer.
Reason66/66.
Passenger
Anushka
Sep 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Also find this review on - Don't Stop Readin'

What in the world was this! I disliked this book from the very first page itself.
I'm no one to question Agatha Christie but this book was totally ridiculous. It was supposed be to espionage but was reduced to an utter pile of fail. I really, really don't want to disrespect the Queen of Crime but Passenger to Frankfurt was boring, and along with being pointless it was also plotless.

It started off with a diplomat being asked to lend his iden
BrokenTune
Jun 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
You can create a third world now, or so everyone thinks, but the third world will have the same people in it as the first world or the second world or whatever names you like to call things. And when you have the same human beings running things, they’ll run them the same way. You’ve only got to look at history.’ ‘Does anybody care to look at history nowadays?’

The thing is, I actually enjoyed the first half of the book.....then it became more and more convoluted and bizarre.

Ok, a bi
Colleen
Aug 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunnit
Weird, weird, weird. You could tell based on the preface and the strange pleading to the reader that this COULD all happen and that Christie had stewed long and hard on this, but really it was her way outside her element. The book is like an old woman's paranoid treatise, so guess mildly interesting just for that odd window to Christie's view of 1970.

I kind of skipped thru the Benvo part, because it didn't really make sense and was a terrible idea. Then the revelation of Juanita (who I actually
shanghao
Dame Agatha, like her alter-ego Ariadne Oliver with apples, might've chewed on too many plot lines and misplaced some of the half-baked ones here.

Apples everywhere

This novel started out with fun intrigue and Stafford Nye, a mischievous court jester of sorts in Britain's political circle, seemed like an interesting character.

Too bad he had to get himself involved with espionage and revolutions et al, all becauseclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Apples
Brooklyn Tayla
I can't not give this 5 stars. It was definitely one of the most puzzling books I've ever read, but I loved every minute! A riot of fabulous characters, too. (Though that's expected with AC) ;)
Mara
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library
Woof. This is far and away my least favorite Christie. I'm still processing all the ways that this is terrible, but yeah. Not good.
Vikas Singh
Jan 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
First published in 1970, it is the second last novel Agatha wrote before her death, her last novel being Postern of fate published in 1973. To me, this is one of her weakest novels. She has tried to address to many contemporary issues in the novel starting from anarchy, youth unrest, dictatorship, vain politicians and danger of megalomaniacs. But she fails to weave them together in a strong, singular plot. The end is the weakest link. If you have loved her writings, you will be disappointed to r ...more
Narrelle
Dec 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Christie attempts a James Bond style story, complete with outré villains and globe trotting protagonists. It's almost spec fic with its near-future revolutions and social engineering.

Sadly, it's overblown, vague waffle predicated on a premise of OMG YOUNG PEOPLE! and I BLAME NAZIS!! Most characters speak in almost the same voice, though Aunt Matilda and Stafford Nye manage to rise above the general mess. The villains may be outré but that's no substitute for actual characterisation.

Only a few
Randell Green 🇬🇧
Man oh man, this was bad. Back and forth monologues (instead of dialogue) that often took up a full page. Not exciting and felt jumbled. I do like some of her other books, but yikes this was painful. Ended up skimming last 50 pages. 📖📚📖
Leslie
I feel sad giving only 1 star to an Agatha Christie novel, as I have found almost every other book I've read of hers really intriguing. Passenger to Frankfurt is definitely of a different genre than the rest of her novels. It is more a book about politics and social commentary than the typical whodunnit that she is known for. I really couldn't get into the plot, nor could I even understand what was going on half the time because the story seemed to jump around a lot and lose focus. The only reas ...more
Emily
I have read some fantastic Agatha Christie books but this one was all over the map and I think tried to hard to be more than what it was. Not sure why the disconnect but I had to go back and reread parts over again because the flow of the story was just off. Not a favorite.
Shiloah
No murder, but a good spy story.
Texbritreader
Aug 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A Cold War spy thriller/mystery from Agatha Christie and a perfect example of the author at her worst. After a far fetched but decent opening gambit, the first part of the novel descends to a catalog of the trouble with "young people" circa 1970, and a lot of improbable conspiracy theories about what was behind then current political and social movements. Christie was clearly at odds with the values and ideas of the era and it infects her book with a strange, paranoid flavor that seems very funn ...more
Laurel Young
Elizabeth Tangora
Jul 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Super, super weird, even for a Christie novel. For one: no mystery, just a bizarrely convoluted story of international 70s-style intrigue involving a well-born British guy who likes wearing capes, a nefarious plot to get students to overthrow all governments, Wagner's Ring symbolism, an evil Nazi blonde hunk, and (spoiler!) Hitler living a secret life in Argentina where I guess nobody recognizes him in even one instance over the course of 30 years. Oh, and a wedding at the end! (I won't say who, ...more
Phayvanh
Jun 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the reason Madame Christie isn't known for her political intrigue novels. There is no suspense here. But not because she has no plot. But because she has no idea how international spies talk or act or think. Their conversations do not amount to anything. For this reason alone, the book sucks.

I got half way through before I realized that Christie was figuring out the story on the page. None of the original details that support her best works, none of the mind boggling twists and turns th
Abhishek
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
By the time I finished the book I was astonished by the turn of events. This was the first novel by Mrs. Christie that hasn't gone well with me. And I think for that Mrs. Christie herself is to be blamed entirely. Firstly for choosing espionage as the center theme for this book. And secondly for writing this book.

Well if anything, one thing is assured and that's espionage is not Mrs. Christie forte. As much as I appreciate Mrs. Christie's work, this book fails to impress at all.
MrsER
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie’s fans might not enjoy this book so much. It departs completely from Mrs. Christie’s style. (Actually, I find a lot of The Big Four in it.) First of all, it is a spy thriller—but not like other and older Christie’s spy thrillers. It reminded me a lot of Buchan’s books—especially The 39 Steps. So, if you don’t like old-fashioned spy thrillers, step away from the bookshelf! If you read Buchan and liked it, you will enjoy this book. Mrs. Christie was highly criticized, even ridicule ...more
Ms. Smartarse
I love Agatha Christie's mysteries. They generally glue me to the book, until I've finished reading then. Not this one, though it had its moments.

The gist of it: Stafford Nye an excentric and "failed" diplomat, decides to save a woman's life. During a delayed flight in Franfurt, he meets a mysterious woman, who asks him to let her take his identity. He agrees, and they fabricate a story of how he lost his passport, and drank drugged beer.
Obviously, the entire government is up i
Nina
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
It's a #reread and this post contains a lil' bit of spoiler. Once I read #passengertofrankfurt and I'm sorry I had to DNF it. It was far from enjoyable for me. Then there's this #oneagathachristiebookeverymonth and I felt encouraged to read it once more.
At the beginning it was okay and bearable. Perhaps because this time I put more effort and #bacabareng gave a boost.
When Sir Stafford was ushered by Mary Ann to join the meeting with Big Belinda and some of the most impo
4cats
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Passenger to Frankfurt is not your typical Christie crime novel. In fact it isn't a crime novel, it is a spy/thriller written in 1970. Having looked at other reviewer's I can see that alot of readers don't love this novel, no Marple, no Poirot and no murder. However, I found it entertaining and very pertinent when looking at what is happening in America today. This novel deals with unknown wealthy, powerful people who encourage social unrest and violence. The unknown people are far right, fascis ...more
Dane Cobain
This is different - this is no crime novel, it's a tale of espionage in a much darker vein than many of Christie's earlier work. As her 80th book, written at the age of 80, it shows a different side of Christie that not as many people know about.

Unfortunately, it's not the most memorable of Christie's novels, and while I've read worse, I haven't read much worse from her. Passenger to Frankfurt is mediocre at best, worth a read if you can't get enough of Christie but otherwise now rea
Grey Wolf
This was a strange book. The first time I read it when I was 17 I was all like "Wow, Agatha Christie has written an alternate history story about NAZIS!" and then I read it again a couple of years ago and all of its flaws shone through.

The plot starts off reasonably simple but soon gets crazily convoluted. The logic of many of the characters' positions is hard to grasp. And the solution decided upon to deal with the emergency is more extreme than the Nazi revivalists are themselves!

Carolyn F.
Audiobook

Paranoid much? This book seeks to explain that the Vietnam war protests, drug use and student unrest during the 1960s was all the result of a hidden group trying to take over the world and bring the Nazi's back into power. And you're stupid if you didn't see it coming. I guess I'm stupid. Not my favorite. Although Hugh Fraser did a great job which raised by rating by one star.
Ivana Azap Feješ
OK, it was good as a concept, but... maybe I am dumb, but I did not quite get the end game... but that is just me :/
Panda Incognito
If I had read the Goodreads reviews of this book, I would never have read it, but I had it from the library and had already begun it when I realized how over-the-top, unrealistic, underdeveloped, and odd this book would be. Because I am a stickler for finishing books, and because I hoped that this one would improve, I read the rest, but it was unsatisfying. The book was boring, and the political intrigue plot was inadequately explained for something portrayed as so enormous. Because it was shown ...more
Agatha Christie L...: December 2016 - Passenger to Frankfurt 22 81 Jun 19, 2017 11:53AM

• The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Burden
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Spinsters in Jeopardy (Roderick Alleyn #17)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Mr. Campion's Farthing (Albert Campion, #20)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery, #12)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in translation.
“One mustn't refuse the unusual, if it is offered to one.” 1 likes