Start by marking “The Border Lord and the Lady (The Border Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Border Lord and the Lady (The Border Chronicles, #4)

The Border Lord and the Lady

(The Border Chronicles #4)

From the New York Times bestselling author - the fourth passionate romance in the Border Chronicles series.

Lady Cicely Bowen, daughter of the Earl of Leighton, is sent away by her father when her jealous stepmother threatens her safety. Soon the exiled Cicely becomes best friends with Lady Joan Beaufort, the king's cousin - and when Joan is married to King James I of Scotl
Published October 6th 2009 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about The Border Lord and the Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Border Lord and the Lady

Tegs
Dec 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
This story could have been so good up until the half way point. That said, it took me a lot in the first instance to get past the heroines father and evil step-mothers story at the start - a 100 or so pages that did nothing but bore me. Then the hero is killed off (wtf?) before another hero is introduced. And worse off the heroine is comparing lovers (not in a good way) during sex with the new husband that she doesn't even like! Pa-lease! Not my kind of romance story - not at all!
Rebecca
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Bertrice Small's books, and especially enjoy The Border Chronicles series. This is the 5th book in the series that I have read (I read some of them out of order), and while I could see some similarities in the plot to other books in the series (mostly A Dangerous Love), the story line was still engaging and interesting enough to keep my attention and offer some elements of surprise.

Ms. Small's books have a lot of historical information packed into them, and that is one reason wh
Karla
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A historical romance romp, this book was actually better than I expected in many ways. I think what I liked most about it was the plot, which actually had some good twists to keep you wanting to read more among the predictable romance elements (which, don't get me wrong, are fine... I wouldn't be reading the genre if I wasn't okay with it!). Another element I enjoyed was learning about a place and historical period that I didn't know that much about. The author had obviously done her homework an ...more
Sandy
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. In fact, I liked it so much I finished it in one weekend and it's over 400 pages.

My only problem with Small's work is her descriptions of genitalia. Phrases like "steel rod", and "love bud" just seem ridiculous to me. Particularly since even in the 1400's they had actual euphemisms for penis, vagina and clitoris and she could have used those, since the rest of the book is fairly accurate to the period.

Other than that, this book is a great example of the genre -- A H
TJ
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
This is such a hard one to rate. I loved it and hated it. I love the story of Cicily as we follow her life. I love that it is historically correct while staying interesting. I love that it helped me understand the challenges a woman faced during the 15th century. I hated that Ms. Small felt she needed to use crude, base language whenever she described sex. While not completely averse to its use within some contexts, this story flowed in such an elegant way that the repeated F-word (among others) ...more
Patchouli Flowers
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
A disappointing book. The language is stilted and immature. The characters are undeveloped, thus you can't relate to any of them. I am very bemused at how a book like this managed to get published.
Jonel
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Small doesn’t simply describe specific scenes, but rather lays out entire towns and regions. She describes everything in detail while making it part of the action. The tale has many suspenseful moments, while remaining romantic in oh so many ways. She throws twists and turns at the reader, many of which are quite surprising yet all of which add greatly to the growth of the characters and of the storyline itself. Small also does a brilliant job of covering a large amount of time quickly without t ...more
Tina Theresa
Jan 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
First time reading a Bertrice Small book. And my last. It was boring. I can never keep track of all the Kings and who they marry, and Which son is legitimate or a bastard. I just don't care. The hero bride-naps the heroine. And I think "Finally!" Then the hero is killed. Wtf!!!! I'm done at 64%.
Brooke
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Blah... This one made me more angry than the third one! I can't say much without giving the plot away... But it's sad. I started to hate the heroine halfway through the book... She's a little bit of a brat and extremely fickle. I was happy with the ending but the good does not outweigh the bad in my opinion.
Sani
Oct 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
i never read for this Author ...this was my first book ...and to be honest my last...her description is full of details to the maximum. ..I bought it to read romance in historical era...not a detailed history book, and what about the death of the hero, really in the middle of the book she killed the hero, I am really disappointed
Chikkin Came'first
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
this is the book where hero dies halfway in the book, seriously WTF? barely got through to the end, skipping heavily
Judith Sherrod
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Border Lord and the Lady

Bertrice Small has woven an excellent take of fiction interlaced with Scotlands proud and stories history. Clan land must stay in clans possession. Therefore when Laird Ian died another member of the same family or as near in blood as could be found was appointed Laird. That the clan didn't want to loose the widow, a match was made to keep everything as it had been,, except for the laird.
Heather
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Cecily became friend the jo later queen of scot s abducted by Ian a boarder Lord whom was as quoted a love suck fool she finally agreed to wed but was killed not long afterwards. Then walks in her husband's cousin now to be her husband will she accept fate

I loved the boarder chronicles . Beatrice small to me is the queen of medieval Scottish romance novels her work will live forever for future generations to adore .
Patricia A Meyers
Great!

Worth the time to read. I highly recommend this series to anyone who lives a good romance. You won't be disappointed.
Alicia
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book pulled me in from the beginning and intrigued me. I felt the characters depicted had amazing depth and challenged some conceptions I had about that particular time period. This was what you want a historical fiction book to be: a cross between reality and fiction. The scenery was depicted in rich, vivid detail. I felt as if I was a part of the story from the very beginning.
The struggle and joy Cicely found in her life throughout the novel was so honest. She was a passionate, outspoken
Moira
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
No jo, občas si nějakou tu zaláskovanou slátaninu chci přečíst i já. Proto spoléhám na Smallovou. Četla jsem od ní pár knih a pokaždé to mělo hlavu a patu a dokonce i slušný děj, což se o jiných podobných knihách říct nedá. Avšak tahle kniha? T_T Čekala jsem více, možná jsem dokonce chtěla udělat re-read jedné knihy, kterou už jsem od ní četla. Avšak nějak jsem to popletla - nejspíše to nebyl Pán z hranice, ale Paní z hranice... nebo Nevěsta z hranice? Hraběnka z hranice? Ta jména jsou si všechn ...more
Naksed
A typical Bertrice Small historical romance set in Scotland in the 15th century during the reign of James I. I feel like Small is most at her element when setting her stories during this time period and country. It was a satisfying story in the style that Small fans have been accustomed to: a sweeping saga, a strong heroine, meddling Royals, a bit of a history lesson, and of course her purple prose. Added to it is a wink at her previous novel Betrayed, whose characters make an unexpected cameo. ...more
Kate
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'd never read a romance when I picked this up at a used book store while on vacation, and I can say now after a few more books that I'm not a fan of the genre in general, but this book really didn't sit well. There were far too many plot factors that were unnecessarily long and over-detailed, almost reading like a history book rather than a novel. Killing off a main character in the middle of the book was unexpected and could have done a lot better if the remainder of the book kept the same pac ...more
Marjorie
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Having never read a Bertrice Small novel but had heard that they were full of sex, I was pleasantly surprised with this wonderful story of a lady who finds love twice. Yes, there was sex, but not to the extreme.

Lady Cicely Bowen is raised in the royal household and becomes friends with Lady Joan Beaufort who marries King James I of Scotland. When the entourage travels to Scotland, Ian Douglas falls head over heels in love with her, resorting to kidnapping her because of her other suitor. She co
Feyfire
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This historical romance was so good it kept me up reading throughout the night. Cecily grew up in the Queen court along with Joan who married Scotland's King James I. Laird Ian falls instantly in love with Cecily and kidnaps her just before she was to receive another proposal. A plot development I didn't like about 3/4ths of the way though kept this from being on my favorite’s shelf. I've read all Bertrice Smalls books because I like her style of writing with constant action and very steamy. Lik ...more
Andrea
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
worst book of the series...

This book felt like a roller coaster, and not a good one.

This book started off bad, then slowly got better... and just when it was good, it got very bad again... by the end it had gotten a little bit better, but was still not great.

The "Anal" scene was tasefully done, but don't think it was necessary in this book. I know it happens, but was it necessary to put it into this book, especially since the other 3 books have not involved that.... did it make it better, no.
Rachel
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Story could have had alot going for it. Then ending just did that, ended. I would have loved to see at least what Cece third child was. Im kinda tired of how all the women love them men, but won't say it. Them men love the women but they won't say it. Grrrrr. And the going back and forth thru the series to different time settings is confusing. I like when they are in order, like the O'Malley Saga. But I will continue on reading the next 2 cause im devoted like that, lol.
Linette
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, This book was alright. It was definitely not my favorite in the Border Chronicles. I do think the other books like A Dangerous Love were better. That is, of course, my opinion.
So this girl, Cicely, is fostered to the Lady Joan Beaufort. And is under the care of Queen Joan. Lady Joan married King James of Scotland. For love. And, so she chooses Cicely to come with her. Andrew Gordon and Ian Douglas are entranced by her beauty. It was okay.
Amanda
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't know why I continue to read Small's books. She's a good writer, but she puts too much death in her books. I read romance for the HEA and I don't always get it with her. I do like the history in her stories. I've learned more about British and Scottish history from her books than I ever learned in school.
Holly
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance

I can't resist a Scotland/England border romance and I enjoyed this one. I was pleasantly surprised that many of the secondary characters were well fleshed out and I think that contributes greatly to the story. The ending did seem a bit rushed though. I will definitely be reading the next 2 books.
Liz
Apr 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This book started good and it just did not keep my attention. I was at page 125 and just really lost interest. I might try it again some other time. It did not start bad but I just could not get into it.
Denise
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This was some historical fiction in the 15th century with Scotlands James Stweart the 1st. It was a good love story and mixed English and Scotish history a bit that I have read about and that was interesting. A bit of wife 'stealing', border raiding and waring as usual in this time period.
LInda L
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm kind of prejudiced about B.Small's books -- I've been a fan ever since the beginning. AND own most, if not all of them. She always manages to make them seem new and fresh. This was no exception.
Donna Campbell
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 22, 2015 05:02PM
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • A Restless Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #1)
  • Isle of Lies (Scottish Duo, #1)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors, #1)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLerie Clan #7)
  • The Decadent Duke
  • Viking in Love (Viking I, #8)
  • The Devil of Jedburgh
  • How To Handle A Highlander (The Sutherlands, #3)
  • Knight's Treasure (Isles/Templars, #5)
  • A Thief In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #3)
  • The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1)
  • The Wrong Highland Bridegroom (Campbell Sisters, #2)
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more

The Border Chronicles (6 books)
  • A Dangerous Love (The Border Chronicles #1)
  • The Border Lord's Bride (The Border Chronicles, #2)
  • The Captive Heart (The Border Chronicles, #3)
  • The Border Vixen (The Border Chronicles, #5)
  • Bond of Passion (The Border Chronicles, #6)