Start by marking “Rights Of Man And Common Sense” as Want to Read:
Rights Of Man And Common Sense

Rights Of Man And Common Sense

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The authorities in power in England during Thomas Paine’s lifetime saw him as an agent provocateur who used his seditious eloquence to support the emancipation of slaves and women, the demands of working people, and the rebels of the French and American Revolutions. History, on the other hand, has come to regard him as the figure who gave political cogency to the liberatin ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Rights Of Man And Common Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rights Of Man And Common Sense

Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Paine takes time out from championing a equal society to stick a middle finger up at Edmund Burke. Frequently.
Angela Castille
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This copy had a detailed introduction/biography of Paine. I learned some facts that weren't included in my Western Political Theory classes in college. The copy also had a very nifty timeline that encompassed the author's life, as well as the political and literary developments of the era.

The pamphlets themselves are always good to read. I enjoyed the refresher on how Paine's thought processes helped solidify those of the authors of the Declaration of Independence.
James F
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read Howard Fast's Citizen Tom Paine for a challenge a couple months back, I decided for the banned book challenge to read some of Paine's own writings, especially The Rights of Man which was not only banned but nearly got Paine hanged in England. As I said in my review of the novel, Paine is my favorite among the "founding fathers"; he was one of the few leading figures of the Revolution who was from a working class background, and unlike most of them remained a revolutionary throughout ...more
Alex Lee
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law
Paine is to Plato as Rights of Man is to The Republic.

Both justify a particular social order on universal principles. They use the language of philosophy to determine a fairness for a certain material arrangement.

In this sense, universals are just ways to en-coach authority behind some idea that can act as a metric for fairness.
The Greatest Radical of a Radical Age

Paine turned Americans into radicals, and we’ve remained radicals at heart ever since.

By Harvey J. Kaye

You want to understand American experience? You want to make sense of why you despise injustice, inequality, and oppression? You want to know why you yearn to turn the world upside down? Read Thomas Paine’s revolutionary pamphlet, Common Sense.

In fewer than fifty pages, Paine not only inspired Americans to declare their independence and create a republic, he
Adam Gutschenritter
Parts of this are very quotable and his arguments are convincing, if often sarcastic. Still, the style of this makes it difficult due to it being different then 2018 language.
Paul Parsons
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a time in which our freedoms are threatened from within by an overreaching Federal government, it is helpful to read the thoughts of those who lived during the times of our founding. Thomas Paines' political essays written in the late 1700s decried the English form of hereditary rule vs. the newer form of representative government recently established in America. The concerns, however, are the same today; that of overtaxation and intrusion into our personal lives of a governing body out of to ...more
The most progressive of the "founding fathers". Although he is a bit fond of strange extrapolations from mathematical data to prove social points (a weakness of the Enlightenment generally) the volume is an entertaining and educational read. The volume also includes Paine's short work, Agrarian Justice, with a plea for comprehensive social provisions for the old, the young, the disabled, and the unpropertied based on an interesting version of an estate tax.
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I read the Rights of Man, and I was surprised how much Paine relied on biblical reasoning to justify emancipation of the 13 colonies. As far as the Rights of Man is concerned, I didn't finish the two pamphlets, and so I'll have to go back at some point. One interesting point from the first one of these, however, was the close connections that Paine showed between the American revolution and the French.
Gurushakti Noriega
I thought that what was pertinent in 1780s is pertinent now. The subjects Paine touched upon are still very real, but the faith he put on representational government and constitutions seemed a bit supernatural. Centuries later we are still grappling with unjust taxation and global conflicts.
Cyndie Dyer
I can't give this book a rating. I admit to some skimming and some boredom. But I am very glad I read it. Mr. Paine shares some of my opinions: trickle-down econmomics doesn't work, we need to take care of our poor, our seniors and our veterans, and religion has no place in government.
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the end this is really a petty argument between two men, and mostly about each other, but in the midst of all this, are some incredible notions.
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
The old arguments are still relevant.
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classics. Should be taught in every school.
James Violand
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
The great propagandist of two revolutions, Paine told it like it is. An excellent rendition of the rights of the common man against oppression. Well worth and annual reading.
Annette Renaud
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Paine's Common Sense opened my eyes to a better understanding of human kind and my own pentient to live free. A definite read for everyone.
Shaimaa Suleiman
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't handle the irony.
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am just overwhelmed by his intellect. Much of his writings are above my pay level but then comes the most astute and glorious thoughts on a subject. He is brilliant.
May 29, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • On Practice and Contradiction
  • Terrorism and Communism: A Reply to Karl Kautsky
  • The Bookshop / The Gate of Angels / The Blue Flower
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina
  • Ancient Mysteries
  • Government in America: People, Politics, and Policy
  • Workers' Councils
  • Fool Me Twice: Obama's Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed
  • Critique of Everyday Life, Volume II
  • The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The CIA's Directorate Of Science And Technology
  • The Plague, The Fall, Exile and the Kingdom, and Selected Essays
  • Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use  Avoid
  • Variations on a Theme Park: The New American City and the End of Public Space
  • The Declaration of Independence
  • Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality
  • The Idea of Communism
  • The Architecture of the Italian Renaissance
Thomas Paine was an English-American political activist, author, political theorist and revolutionary. As the author of two highly influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution, he inspired the Patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Britain. His ideas reflected Enlightenment-era rhetoric of transnational human rights. He has been called "a corset maker by trade, a journalist ...more
More about Thomas Paine...