Start by marking “Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice” as Want to Read:
Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice

Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice

(Oishinbo #6)

A quest for the ultimate menu! R to L (Japanese Style). "The Joy of Rice" In this volume of Oishinbo, Yamaoka and company look into the single most essential food in Japanese cuisine: rice. Cultivated for millennia, a staple meal in itself and the basis of countless other dishes, rice is an important component not only of the Japanese kitchen but also of Japanese culture. ...more
Published November 17th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice

First Second Books
You guys! These books -- it's like a manga version of an extremely surly, fictional version of Anthony Bourdain does Japanese food.

They're awesome!
Sesana
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, food
Only a Japanese book could have the exact same character advocate local, organic, sustainable farming and commercial whaling. In the same chapter, no less. At any rate, not my favorite volume, but definitely as detailed and passionate about food as the previous ones.
Erin L
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish I knew more about the various regions of Japan as the characters discuss where certain rices come from as well as many other details about rice. Did you know there's an ideal humidity for storing rice? I do now :)

Good book with fun stories although because they were all published separately and are being grouped together in books by food type, timelines can be a bit confusing.
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reading all about gohan (rice) who would think it could possibly be that interesting? I've now got a serious craving for some RICE BALLS!

Rice is taken for granted as an every day food but the way this manga teaches you about different ways to prepare it makes you realise HOW important it is to the Japanese people. However, I was a little surprised to read some sexist comments...Taking how old this manga is I just rolled my eyes and moved along but I can't help but think IF it was written for a
Lydia Presley
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, foodie, manga
Finally we get back to the root of what I was enjoying in some of the early volumes of this manga. In this volume we learn about Rice (surprise, surprise!). We learn what makes good rice, and bad. Why brown rice can taste so dry and tasteless. What makes a good "rice ball". In addition to these lessons there is another showdown between Yamoaka and his father.. and to tell you the truth, I love these showdowns the most.

As always, the part of the book I've been enjoying the most has been in the mi
Louise
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, comic, food
The chapters get formulaic, but I can't help enjoying the content. It's hard to believe these comics have been around since the 80s because they're so relevant to the food culture of today. Most chapters highlight the importance of environmental eating, small farms, and mindful eating.

I do wish that the volumes were ordered in original publication order, though, instead of organized by subject because it makes the overall plot and dynamics of the characters really confusing when the chapters are
Felicia
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm reading these out of order. But the lessons imparted about rice, and what constitutes GOOD rice and HORRIBLE rice is so interesting (and funny). The main character can be a total douche though. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Ying
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
look at that title! i should have written this!
Luke
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
We're getting to the pointy end now. This is the penultimate volume of Viz's collections of extracts from Oishinbo, and so it's time for something subtle. Something both representative of Japan and its culture, and of hearth and home. Something to get excited about.

Something like rice.

Yeah, you heard me. And that's perhaps why this volume received only three stars from me: it's interesting enough, and certainly contains some specifically scientific discussion that harks back to the parasite ch
Jason
I don't know why I put off reading these for so long. Every time I start one, I get engrossed in the subject matter and can't seem to put it down. I learn SO MUCH about Japanese food and culture, and the short stories that communicate the information are perfect vehicles for it. Who knew you could identify rice grown in different regions by taste alone? I've never been a big fan of rice but after reading this I have a much greater respect for it!
Romà Giménez Jori
Este volúmen es fundamental para comprender la cocina japonesa en toda su amplitud, pues el arroz es la base de la alimentación nipona, y aquí aprendemos mucho sobre él a través de sencillas y entretenidas historias. Diría que la historia en la que se nos presenta un okaboshi que va a ser fundamental en distintos relatos, ya apareció en el primer tomo de la colección, y eso me molestó sobremanera al leer el libro. Por lo demás, muy recomendable.
Finlay
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: japan
As formulaic as all the others. But I'm inspired by some of the onigiri choices.
DoodlePanda
Interesting read about the history of rice in Japan!
I like the story and the characters too, all in all a great read.
Steven
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute series!
Gloria
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I particularly love this one, as I particularly love rice!
Alyson Fortowsky
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oishinbo, al la Carte is one of a hundred-plus volume manga adventure series about Japanese food, written by Tetsu Kariya and illustrated by Akira Hanasaki.

The premise: a group of journalists from a famous newspaper are putting together an Ultimate Menu feature embodying Japanese cuisine. The a la Carte volumes are excerpted from the longer original series, so the books end up being series of loosely-related illustrated short stories touching on the topic of a certain food.

I can't talk enough ab
Michael
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like that they organized the book in courses and gave us enough info on the characters to keep me interested in their back stories. The real joy was finding all about rice and the part it plays in Japanese cuisine and culture!
Rosa
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, food, 2010
Billy
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's very Japanese and I mean that in a good way. I don't read a lot of manga, but I appreciate it as a medium and I love reading from right to left. It alters your thinking but becomes quite natural.

How does one describe Oishinbo? Honestly, I am sure of its original format, episodic comics. Here, it is a compilation of stories featuring rice and its importance in Japanese culture and history. I love Oishinbo's treatment of a staple beyond mere sustenance - there is an appreciation and love for
Michele
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun, interesting, informative! What more could you want in a Manga! Ok I don't normally read manga but you dangle a delicious dish and I'm intrigued. I'm glad. No wonder more people in Japan read manga than news papers! There's al kinds. I'm already turned off of the news so this is a healthy substitute. Now I know a delicious way to cook scallops, how to find out if I'm really growing and eating organic or looking like I'm. How to tell if my brown rice is organic or has pesticides. I alredy kne ...more
Sarah Simmons
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
My interest in Oishinbo is for purely foodie reasons; slice of life manga holds little interest for me. This being said, while I enjoyed this volume and the wonderful tidbits of Japanese cuisine knowledge, I feel torn. I feel that these eleven chapters, while informative, don't do justice to the totality of Oishinbo. We're talking about a manga that has been running strong (via serialization) since 1983, that has 107 collected volumes to its name...and we're only given 7 compilation volumes. Whi ...more
Susan
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
These collected stories are defined by their topic (this book is about rice, for example), but the original manga was told in a different order. The problem with this is that while the food is a unified topic, the relationships in the story (which is a significant part of the story) are a mess. In one chapter Yamaoka and Kurita are barely flirting, and in the next they are planning a wedding. It drives me nuts, and is very hard to follow.

And who writes a book about rice and doesn't explain how i
Stewart Tame
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great fun, as always! One drawback to reading these "selected highlights" translations of Oishinbo: since each volume features stories selected dealing with a specific food, the formulaic aspects of the writing really stand out more prominently than, perhaps, they do in the original manga. This is still a delight to read though. The translation notes at the back of the book are, as ever, extremely helpful in explaining things that happened in chapters not appearing in this translation that the r ...more
Ari
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Manga can be this fun!"

Here is another amazing addition to the Oishinbo series. This time the focus is on rice, a staple food for Japan, China and a great many Asian countries, and I used to think of it as plain and simple. “Oishinbo: The Joy of Rice” led us to see how the different way to prepare rice can make it a total deluxe; it presents the intricate connection between rice and culture, way of living, and our responsibility to the environment and future generations of human. Wow… and I am
Scott
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Rice gets the Oishinbo treatment here. The plotting sometimes seemed a little lamer than usual, but then the plotting is this series is frequently lame so that's a fine distinction. As always, the real draw is the culinary and cultural view, and it should come as no surprise just how large a role rice plays in the Japanese world.
Mattias Appelgren
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The Osihinbo-series is still an interesting and fun way to learn some basics and history about Japanese cuisine. But they tend to get a bit samey, samey to me. As in Yamaoka is always set up in some sort of challenge where he always triumphs with his expert knowledge about Japanese food. Although his father is always there to show him who really knows best.
Suhailah Iskandar
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rice.. the staple to all i guess. Because I'm Asian, rice is part of my life and reading it makes it more fun. Discovery of the varieties of rice & the proper preparations with awesome drawings. I love the fued between Shiro and Yuzan.. Ego level sky high..
Fresno Bob
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
my least favorite of the bunch so far, maybe because I'm not Japanese and don't have the cultural affinity to rice. Sure, I like rice, but there is no food that I identify with culturally the way the Japanese do to rice
Geoff Sebesta
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not reading this series in order, because why bother?

It is nothing short of astounding the way their illustration team draws different types of rice and rice dishes. Their mastery of food illustration is subtle and complete.
Emily
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite volumes. I really liked that there was one really early story; I felt like it helped me understand some things I hadn't been connecting. Lots of great information on the food, too, which is the main thing I like.
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 7
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 19: The Moon in Our Hearts
  • Not Love But Delicious Foods
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 04
  • Toriko, Vol. 02
  • Message to Adolf, Part 2
雁屋哲
Manga writer and essayist extraordinaire Tetsu Kariya graduated from prestigious Tokyo University. Kariya was employed with a major advertising agency before making his debut as a manga writer in 1974, when he teamed up with legendary manga artist Ryoichi Ikegami to create Otoko Gumi (Male Gang). The worlds of food and manga were forever changed in 1983 when Kariya, together with artist Akira H

Oishinbo (7 books)
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 1 - Japanese Cuisine
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 2 - Sake
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 3 - Ramen and Gyoza
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 4 - Fish, Sushi and Sashimi
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 5 - Vegetables
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 7 - Izakaya: Pub Food
“The Chairman ignores the individual personalities of his workers and uses them like cattle or horses. That's the basic principle of capitalism, you know.” 1 likes