Start by marking “Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon #2)” as Want to Read:
Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon #2)

Knight of Darkness

(Lords of Avalon #2)

For centuries Varian du Fey has been the assassin for the infamous Merlin. However, because of his heritage, Varian has never been truly accepted as one of the Knights of Avalon. Lancelot may have been his father, but is mother is one of Morgen le Fey's closest allies.
Published April 3rd 2008 by Piatkus (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of Darkness

Sophia Triad
Varian and Merewyn

Such a beautiful love story between two people that were not very lucky with their lives and they don't trust easily!

"Is there not something you would bleed for?"
"No," she said fervently. "Nothing. Why should I? No one would ever bleed for me."
One corner of his mouth turned up in a smoking smile. "Then we're the same, you and I."
"How, so?"
"No one would ever bleed for me either."

Varian is the son of Narishka (an evil Adoni who will not hesitate to torture her son in order to
Molly Mortensen
Talk about two characters with tragic back stories! They were both better than those from the first book though and they really grew on me as the story unfolded.

Blaise was back! He really needs his own book.

I actually didn't mind the cursed to be an old hag thing. (She was mostly young though.) But the rest of the storyline was nothing special, lots of trudging through a haunted forest.

There was a mysterious character who stepped in to help the hero in the very end of the book. He felt rather
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Lords of Avalon series by Kinley MacGregor. Varian duFey swore allegiance to Merlin but has never been accepted by the other knights. Merlin sends him to collect the body of a tortured and murdered knight and runs into his "beloved" mother, Narishka duFey. She kicked him out as a child but now has decided he has a use. So she tries to convince Varian to return to the evil Camelot and serve Morgan le Fey. When he shows a kindness to an old crone it gives his mother an idea ...more
valee
This installment wasn't as good as the first one for sure. What I loved the most about the first one was the amazing plot, the great main characters as well as the secondary, and their personalities. You had a very brave and strong warrior who was supposed to be the most evil creature but once he met his heroine he just simply loved her and was able to change. I know it may sound corny but it really wasn't because it was amazingly written.

But this story was cheesy. It was like reading a mix with
Melinda
This is the second book in the Lords of Avalon series by Kinley MacGregor also known as Sherrilyn Kenyon. I don’t believe there are any more books in the series but the idea and at least one of the characters (Blaise) are continued in the last two books that were released of the Dark-Hunter series, Son of No One and Dragonbane.

Long ago, the realms of Avalon and Camelot were separated from the realm of man. After King Arthur was defeated and killed, the evil Morgen Le Fey took over Camelot while
Gina
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it! To quote again: Unputdownable! In the first chapter, I was instantly hooked, and I had a damn hard time trying to put this book down! The characters have distinct personalities, especially Varian, and I loved the banter between characters. I loved his 'take shit from no one' attitude, it suited him well. And the way he instigates... this book makes you laugh while holding your breath to see what happens next. And darn it, after checking out her website, I didn't realize that ...more
Mara
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
The mix of pseudo-arturian lore, chick-lit cheesyness and pnr wasn't to my tastes. The resulting dish wasn't sure what it wanted to be.

There's nothing of the bad-ass antihero the blurb promised. The plot was weak (as it lacked the foundation on which to be build, namely a story. There were only glimpses of it.)

I can't even say it was steamy < grin >. And I agree the never-ending quotes were annoying.
Gary
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first installment but still very much worth the read four stars for this one
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Susan (susayq ~)
I really, really, really liked this! In fact, I liked it more than the first one in the series. It had me laughing so hard in some parts...like when Merewyn fell into the pit of despair and was sooo woeful and complaining, or when Blaise was quoting Monty Python's Holy Grail (and he's a Holy Grail Knight who can time travel and that's how he knows Monty Python). There's a good moral lesson in this - to look past the appearance and into the heart of a person to judge them and love them.

I look for
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I have to laugh... Even on the first page, there was a total flub, although FUNNY AS HELL!

In a historical romance, I never imagined one of the charaters would say "No Shit, Sherlock!" That would be a "Duh" comment geared towards someone stating the obvious deduction with sarcasm toward their brilliance noting the Sherlock Holmes Jab. Not some King Arthur character?? I loved it, though, and it started the book off great for me!

Just another peaceful quick romance fix to fill time. Worth the minu
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
I am in love with Varian. This book was so far my favourite! I loved the story, the characters and the ending! Everything about it was fun and exciting to read. It was very sweet story with a lot of love between Varian and Mewryn! Can't wait to read the next book! ;)
PepperP0t
Varian du Fey has been serving Merlin as a knight of the round table as an assassin for Merlin, though he was born to Lancelot du Lac and Narishka, an Adorian that sits at Morgen's right hand. Due to the circumstances of his conception, Varian wasn't shown kindness or love and was kicked out of his home and away from Morgen's court.

Varian dislikes the work he's given, he isn't mistreated but he isn't well liked or trusted because of his parents. Reluctantly taking his latest assignment to take
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Where do I start? The Lords of Avalon series I would have to say is the best spin on Arthurian myth thus fair. This book brought so many emotions. I wanted to cry, I was laughing, and just gripping the book with angry. Varian DuFey son of Sir Lancelot and the Adoni Narishka right hand women to the Morgen Le Fey (all around evil bad ass). He has been through hell and back with his upbringing and being a Knight of Roundtable. He walks on the edge of the light and the darkness. Then comes a women w ...more
Fangirl Musings
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a TRULY unique plot
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: No one; discovered Sherri on my own
AL
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This is Varian's and Merewyn's story. Varian is the son of Lancelot and Narishka (an Adoni) and Merewyn is a human princess who wanted to escape from marriage to an old kind man. One night she made a bargain with an Adoni and that Adoni was Varian's mother, Narishka. She is evil and right hand to Morgen. Let's just say Merewyn was trapped with Narishka for centuries but when Varian and Merewyn met, their story became full of awesomeness. We get to meet Emrys, Nimue, the valley where ...more
Julie
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arthurian legend, magic and romance - all stuff I like and brought together in a readable way. The book is second in a series. I read this one first, but book #1 is much better. The explanation of the world/setting is not very clear. I was left wondering about the knights' use of modern slang and the constant Monty Python references until a good way into the book. (The first book of the series eases the reader into the world in a much more absorbable manner.) The Monty Python and the Holy Grail ...more
ErinReadsTooMuch
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an author of the month reading challenge, and I found a new author I love!! This book was great! The characters were likable, the banter was witty, it was a nice mix of modern/historical/fantasy/romance. How could you not like that? What really sold me was the Monty Python references and quotes in a Camelot/Avalon setting. Awesome. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!
Denise
Oct 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, paranormal
I liked the first book better. She took liberties in using 20th century slang in this book but never really told us why. If I hadn't read the first book I wouldn't have known that they can time travel although they didn't do any in this book. I thought it was lazy of her to use so much slang and not stick with the 'talk' of the times the stroy was set in. These books are an intersting take on the Kinght's of the Round Table, Avalon, and King Authur.
Adriana
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This book is full of great world building and even better characters. Varian is an excellent leading man and any book with Blaise’s dry sarcasm in it is always fun.
The only thing that bothered me a little was how mushy it could get at times. There’s a fine line between romantic and saccharine, and Kenyon toed it many a time in this volume.
Nessa
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A SOLID 3.5 STARS!

WHILE I DO ENJOY THE PREMISE OF THIS STORY, I AM A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED THAT THE H/h interaction wasn't as deeply satisfying on a connective and emotional level. Sure, there was romance and passion....but at times like this you question yourself 'What is romance?"

OUR HERO is the by-product of Lancelot and the evil witch Narishka, who is on Team Morgen. To say they were both opposing sides of the field is laying it a little thin. They were both natural enemies. Varian's concepti
Shawn
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A secret unfolds as we learn the heir of the Pendragon line, love, trust, and forgiveness. Vampires are at the heart of a mothers hate, and a son who chooses to do the right thing. King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and Grail Knights are all dead, or are they?

More insight on Merlin and Morgan after Camelot. Fun reading. Love rides deeper than looks. We need to remember that one day we all will age. "How deep is your love?"
Cameil Ramouche
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book love the witty Ness

I love the banter and the witty Ness between the different characters and different species of the book I also how the two.main character come together I like the journey the author takes us on to show our heroes and heroines figuring out each other and make sacrifices to save each other or to be with each other. Love what I've read so far.
Angela
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite "guilty pleasure" reads was written by Kinley MacGregor, which is why I was so terribly disappointed in this story. The characters are confusing, the dialogue is excruciating, and the setting(s) was ridiculous. I felt like she was trying to include too many elements in one novel, and nothing tied together smoothly (or at all, really).
Lauriekap
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite series - I WISH she would continue the series
Irene
OMG! Loved, loved, loved it!
Shelley
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book too. Maybe not quite as much as the first one but it was still great. Now I just want to know when the third one will be released or rereleased. I can't find it anywhere!
Kris
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Kenyon can do no wrong. She can tackle any myth, any story, any genre bending tale, and make it her distinct work of wonder. Done.
Liza Robertson
A good series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Katelyn (Lost as Alice, Mad as the Hatter)
One word: hilarious! I absolutely loved this book! It started on the very first page with an assasin of Merlin's (the new Merlin) biting wit and sarcasm.

"There is a traitor amoung us"..."No shit, Sherlock. There is always a traitor among us."

Okay, so I should probably start with what this story is about. This story is about what truly happened to Camelot and how the struggle between good and evil continues to this day. Merlin is not the crusty old man we remember advising Arthur and Camelot is
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Phantom in the Night (B.A.D. Agency, #2)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)

Lords of Avalon (7 books)
  • Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1)
  • Son of No One (Dark-Hunter, #23; Hellchaser, #5; Were-Hunter, #8, Lords of Avalon, #3)
  • Dragonbane  (Dark-Hunter #24; Lords of Avalon, #4; Were-Hunter, #9, Hellchaser, #6)
  • Dragonsworn (Dark-Hunter, #26)
  • Dragonmark (Dark-Hunter #25)
  • Stygian (Dark-Hunter, #27)
“One day your prince will come. Mine took a wrong turn, got lost, and is too stubborn to ask for directions.” 113 likes
“See!” she snapped at him. “You men are all brutish. You force your strength and will on us as if we matter for naught and then you wonder why we don’tlike ”—she spat the word at him—“you. Really? Is it any wonder? Why would any woman want to subject herself to the male ego? Why?”

She looked down at his body as a sudden heat came into her gaze that made him instantly nervous. “Sure, you’re a handsome beastie with kissable lips when they’re not bleeding. You’re fair in form with big, bulging—” He actually cringed in fear of the word “cock” coming out of her mouth again, but luckily she averted her thoughts as her gaze met his.

For the first time the despair left her voice. “Your eyes are so beautiful.” She ran one finger over his brow, making him instantly hard for her. “Did you know that?” Then the gloomy tone returned as she dropped her hand from his face. “Of course you do. You’re a worthless man. Just like all the others.”

“Yeah,” Blaise teased. “You’re worthless, Varian. And what on him bulges again, Merewyn?”

Varian glared at the mandrake, who merely continued to laugh at him.

“Everything. His arms, his legs, his—”

“Enough, Merewyn,” Varian said from between clenched teeth.

“Well, you do bulge. I’ve seen it.”

“We’ve all seen it,” Merrick said, his voice filled with humor, “And it’s sickening.”

Varian glared at the triplets, especially the ferret, who was laughing and rolling around his brother’s neck. “When she is over this, I’m going to kill all of you.”

Merewyn let out a long-suffering sigh. “Of course you will. That’s what men do. They destroy everything. Everything. Because you’re all worthless whoremongers.”

Varian winced at her choice of words.

“Whoremongers?” Blaise repeated with a laugh.

“Yes. You all go out with your giant lances, spearing anything you can find. Nailing your targets against trees and walls, while you gallop from field to field, bragging over your conquests, uncaring of who you’ve hurt while you quest for more glory.”

“Good gods,” Merrick said, his face horrified. “Is she speaking of what I think she is?”

“Do you mean warmongers?” Varian asked her.

“No! Whoremongers. All of you.” She looked over at the triplets.

“Especially them.”