Start by marking “Wideawake Field: Poems” as Want to Read:
Wideawake Field: Poems

Wideawake Field: Poems

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The chairs have come in
and the crisp yellow thwock
of the ball being hit
says somehow, now that it's fall,
I'm a memory of myself.
My whole old life--
I mourn you sometimes
in places you would have been.
--October
The poems in this fierce debut are an attempt to record what matters. As a reporter's dispatches, they concern themselves with different forms of
Published April 29th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published May 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wideawake Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wideawake Field

Ron Christiansen
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'm not a huge poetry reader but since I got free copy and was able to speak briefly with the author and found her quite engaging, I gave it a read--also the individual poems and collection were both quite short. And...I enjoyed it reading by the fire on a cool early summer evening out in my backyard.

Favorite lines:

From "What Went Wrong": "We handle each other/ with too much gentleness,/ like eggs,/ to be born elsewhere and later."

From "Arrest": "...How human we are,/ the tender, puncturing ski
S.
Not bad but occasionally crutch-prone. Not my cup of tea, I guess, although I appreciate how this poet focuses on the external more than the internal. I picked the book on a lark at Strand Books mostly because of the title and cover pic. Win a few, lose a few.
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: po-eh-tree
Wideawake Filed was good, but not great. Eliza introduces a handful of moments that are striking and unexpected; she's able to relate internal feelings with external places and has a strong sense of the worlds around her. While many of these poems are crafted carefully, others lack solidity. Some are alive and breathing but others seem to be sleeping, or trying too hard. This was not a horrible collection of poetry- before judging I think it's best to read it for yourself. Personally I was expec ...more
Dec 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Overall the language in these poems fell flat. The few poems that seemed richer were the ones that dealt with Griswold's time as a war correspondent. These particular poems have something emotional at stake where most of the others point at some kind of a romantic difficulty that just isn't that compelling. Griswold's strong suit isn't the beautiful line, or image captured so perfectly your torso goes cold: the kind of poetry I prefer (see Franz Wright). According to blurbs on the book, her stre ...more
Lisa
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These succinct poems by a journalist show a concern with world politics but mostly because of how those politics reflect or impact the personal. The tight, profound pieces remind me of Kay Ryan, with a bit more narrative material/context attached. The way Griswold moves through a poem (or the sudden epiphany line at the end) can start to feel repetitive, but I had the urge to reread many of these poems once I'd finished them, and I intend to reread the entire book.
Tricia Madden
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was at a reading with the author last week and am still drunk on her poems. The poems and stories behind them stick with you. Eliza is an amazing writer with such purpose. I felt transported to the time and space she writes about. I can't wait until her upcoming article & book on Afghan landay comes out!
L.k.
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful poems, some about tragic things, others more light. Well written. A good read-aloud book.
Jimmy
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female, poetry, year-2000s
I wasn't impressed with this book, I just thought it was kinda safe and boring.
Jason
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was good, but not great. She had some interesting turns of phrase and some good metaphors, but I expected it to be more coherent.
Paula Dembeck
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The is a collection of poems by an investigative journalist who has spent time in the Middle East. The title, “Wideawake” seems to be the anthem that calls us to her pieces as she insists we pay strict attention to what she wants to show us. She is focused on scenes from a world gone awry and is determined to document them and bring them to our attention, because although they are far away they still matter. But there are personal places that have been thrown asunder as well and these can house ...more
Elizabeth
Eliza shared so much of herself in this collection of poetry- some of it was quite hard to read, on an emotional level.

She has a relaxed and easy style, with an approachable use of language and vocabulary, but several of the poems require re-reading and they all require a lot of thought. Nothing to be taken lightly in this collection.
Nread72
Feb 03, 2016
Toni Travis
Mar 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Poetry Readers Ch...: Wideawake Field by Eliza Griswold 5 11 Jun 13, 2014 06:06AM