Start by marking “A Deadly Dealer (A Collectible Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Dealer (A Collectible Mystery, #3)

A Deadly Dealer (A Collectible Mystery #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  344 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Covering the famous Heart of Dixie antique show for Collector's Weekly, amateur sleuth Molly Appleby gets an unwelcome scoop when she finds the dead body of an antiques dealer in her hotel's lush conservatory.
Published August 7th 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Dealer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Dealer

Kathy Kirkland
Terrific and very well written cozy mystery about antiques, and walking canes most specifically. Being a lover of antiques drew me in, but the story itself kept me turning pages all night long!
Plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing whodunit right up to the very end!
Must Read more this series very soon.
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
A Deadly Dealer has Molly off in Nashville with her mom. They are attending the Heart of Dixie auction and Molly is supposed to get a good article for Collector's Weekly.

While she is there she finds herself in the middle of another murder mystery and the police are not wanting her help. She can't help but want to find out what happened since her mother knew the man, but this time, she is a bit stumped. There is an antique cane that is missing and it could be the key to finding the killer and Mol
Amy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent mystery! This series gets better and better and in, checking Amazon, there are recent additions but only on Kindle and Audio CD. While I do own a Kindle, I really do prefer "old fashioned" books, wherever possible. I'll definitely be purchasing the next installment in this series.
Larry G. Novinger
Enjoyable

Antiques and canes were really interesting and it was a very enjoyable read. Really liked the characters. Hard to put the kindle down.
Elizabeth Evans
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved

Enjoyment throughout the entire book! Like the relationship between matt and molly and where its headed! Love these cozy mysteries so much!
Debbie (Doc)

Molly Applebee and her mother, Clara, have a very close bond. Clara used to own an antique shop but now works for an antique auction. Molly was once a middle school teacher and now writes for an antique magazine. The setting in this story drew me in since I have family that lives in Nashville, TN. I also love to visit the Opryland Hotel, especially at Christmas.

Molly was on her way to find coffee for herself and her mother since their coffee pot in the room was not working. As usual, M
FangirlNation
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Molly Appleby, staff writer for Collector's Weekly, travels to Nashville to cover the Heart of Dixie auction, where the major dealers in the field of Southern antiques have gathered, and there she gets involved in another murder case in A Deadly Dealer by Ellery Adams. Exploring the antiques being offered, Molly and her mother, Clara, meet various interesting people who specialize in such fields as old and valuable books, textiles, and furniture. Molly especially enjoys meeting Tom Barnett, a fr ...more
Lori Henrich
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Molly and Clara a re on their way to the Heart of Dixie antique show. Molly is there to write an article and her mother came along to keep her company and to find a good buy. They make it through the first night without a hitch, but when Molly goes hunting for coffee the next morning she get lost in the big hotel and winds up in the garden area. While trying to make her way back to her room she sees a discarded glass and decides to do the right thing by picking it up and disposing of it. Only pr ...more
Jennifer Brown
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to find. Not sure if it was because it is out of print or what, but I searched hard for it. I'm glad I did too. I found a large print copy at a library (last copy there too!). Reading about canes and the antique show in this one makes me want to attend the next one that's around here! I loved getting to learn about something new while devouring this mystery. The bond between mother and daughter only gets better and I love that they stick together the way they do. I thought it ...more
❂ Jennifer
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I haven't yet read the first two in this series, so I may have missed out on a lot of character development, so I only gave this book 3 stars as it was only so-so for me. I guessed the murderer pretty quickly. I enjoyed the bits of information about the antiques, and especially enjoyed the fact that they were presented as small anecdotes at the start of each chapter so the story was never bogged down in too much detail. I really appreciated the lack of introspection as well - too much internal d ...more
Lin
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Molly Appleby and her mom Clara were excited to go to Nashville on a working vacation. A weekend convention; “Heart of Dixie”, would bring together many vendors that both Molly and Clara new.
Excitement came to an abrupt end when one of their vendor friends is found dead. Nashville PD twins; Detective (also known as Bulldog) Butler and the ME Butler can make it difficult for Molly and Clara to solve this crime.

Back home Matt; Molly’s co-worker and boyfriend is making life changes that he hasn’t s
Betty
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
The 3rd in this cozy series about antiques. I found it to well written and the characters fairly well developed. Two different plots were presence and at first I saw no connection. However they brought together so one understood the reasoning. Molly and Clara filed to an Antique Show in Tennessee. Molly searching for coffee stumbles over a DEAD dealer. It turns out the dealer is a friend of Clara, her Mother. Clara decides to help the widow with estate causing problems with the police. Clara buy ...more
Sue Ross
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Does Ellery Adams write a bad book? Personally I don’t think so and this one is no different. A Deadly Dealer is about an antique show. The heroine of the book is a reporter for an antique paper and stumbles on the body of a friend of hers. What transpires after that is nothing short of a Alfred Hitchcock show with a little romance thrown in. I love the setting, the south and Ellery Adams’ characters are always believable and fun. This one is no different. I know this is a series she has revampe ...more
Saadia
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Setting involves Molly, who writes for a publication covering the Antique dealing business, now covering a major convention and show in Charleston. The action involves dead bodies and a specialty cane which houses a dagger.
Very lively descriptions of antique dealer types, including Molly's mother, Clara, a lovely southern beauty with brains and class.
The story line is further framed by vignettes involving past and future shady characters who have a fascination with the murder instruments - the
Theresa Patterson
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! This is a very interesting series. The main character, Molly, she writes for a paper that has to do with antiques. I learn so much reading this series because of this. One of my favorite things when reading is learning about new things, subjects, etc. Molly and her mother have a good relationship. Her mother used to own an antique store, but now works for an antique auction house. I love the dynamic between mother and daughter.
Linda Smatzny
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Collectible Mystery series. It features Molly who is a writer for Coll ector's Weekly. Molly finds a body at the Heart of Dixie antique show and tries to figure out the killer. She is helped by her mother,Clare, who is at the show with Molly. The ladies figure out some of the details but come to the attention of the killer who poisons their coffee. The book has lots of interesting details about walking sticks/canes. It was an easy fast read.
Ann Marie
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A new author for me. This series is all about antiques and it is interesting to learn about them as well as enjoying the story. A single woman reporter longs to be a famous reporter working on big stories but so far she works for an Antiques publication. While covering her stories she keeps becoming involved in murders. This one is about hollow canes and what is and was inside of them.
Pat Trezza
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series, it kept me wanted more. Love the characters and you got to know them better with each book. Bob Moats writes like that and I love his books. I like to see the people in the book grow and go on with there lives and the new people that enter into their lives. Enjoyed very much. Look forward to the next one.
Mary Whitehurst
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annnddd...............Here we go again!!

Another tricksy, twisty mystery. Loved the comments and descriptions of the special canes.
Each book can stand alone and be read by itself, but they are better read in a series - where you can get the full flavor of the changing relationships between the characters. Love it, keep up the good work.
MW
Vera
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
The discussion of canes or walking sticks was fascinating. This mystery took place at an antique event in Nashville. The main characters mahy have gone a little far in investigation, but still believable. This was my first read by this author, but there will be more.
'jean
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
It was okay, a little too dark for me. If you want something that gives you shivers, the provenance of the cane may do it. The rest of the story was okay but I didn't really relate to the characters.
Susan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Killer Collection, Fatal Appraisal, I love this series. Only 3 so far but I am so looking forward to the next one! Great characters that you would love to tag along with and a story that keeps moving. I couldn't put it down!
Susan Ryan
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
I've really enjoyed this series and am glad to see a new one was written in 2015. I really recommend for antique lovers.
Marilyn Slusher
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another good read!!
Nancy Bradford
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great Cozy with Antiques as the theme. The only problem with tis book is that it is the last in the series. I would love to have more adventures with Molly.
Mary Schildman
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool sticks

Another good murder mystery, characters are developing great personality and you want to see how it all ends. Also love all info about antiques. Onto the next book.o
Diana Petty-stone
A very well written cozy mystery full of intrigue, the history and interesting facts about canes and a little side story as well.
Jerri Kerns
Jun 05, 2016
Carrie
Feb 20, 2017
Linda
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Treacherous Trader (A Collectible Mystery, #4)
  • Perfect Poison (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #4)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Workout (A Fat City Mystery, #2)
  • Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)
  • Pointe and Shoot (Jenny T. Partridge, #3)
  • Hollywood Stuff (Jane Wheel, #5)
Also writes under the pseudonyms Ellery Adams and Jennifer Stanley.

J.B. Stanley is the nom de plume of New York Times Bestselling author Ellery Adams. Adams grew up on a beach near the Long Island Sound. Having spent her adult life in a series of landlocked towns, she cherishes her memories of open water, violent storms, and the smell of the sea. Ms. Adams has held many jobs including that of cate
More about J.B. Stanley...

A Collectible Mystery (6 books)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • A Fatal Appraisal (A Collectible Mystery, #2)
  • A Treacherous Trader (A Collectible Mystery, #4)
  • A Devious Lot (A Collectible Mystery, #5)
  • A Killer Keepsake (Collectible Mystery #6)

“As she inched forward through the congestion on Interstate 40, a highway that had been under construction for the past ten years, her mind wandered back to the photographs Detective McDowell had emailed her.” 0 likes