Start by marking “Granny Dan” as Want to Read:
Granny Dan

Granny Dan

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  6,169 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
In my eyes she had always been old, always been mine, always been Granny Dan. But in another time, another place, there had been dancing, people, laughter, love. . . . She had had another life before she came to us, long before she came to me. . . .
She was the cherished grandmother who sang songs in Russian, loved to roller-skate, and spoke little of her past. But when G
Published 2000 by Corgi (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Granny Dan, please sign up.

Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
an amazing,easy and enjoyable book to read...(paperback!)
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This is the only Danielle Steel book I've read and it's doubtful I'll be reading others. I'm probably the only reviewer who thought this book was terrible. Besides that the storyline was nothing short of gag-inducing, there were so many run-on sentences it didn't even seem like the book had been edited. It was supremely awful.
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nisam ljubitelj knjiga Danijele ali u ovoj sam uživala. Tema je sve ono o čemu volim da čitam; 1902. godina, Sankt Petersburg, balet, Rusija, roman o čaroliji istorije, neočekivane promjene u životu, zaboravljena priča o mladosti i ljepoti, ljubavi i snovima. ★★★★★
Kim. E.
She was known as Granny Dan to her adored granddaughter, the one who loved to go skating with her and play, but when she passed away this granddaughter realized she knew nothing about her life. Then she received a call from the nursing home where she lived the last year of her life, telling her that a box remained in the back of Granny Dan's closet. Inside the box was a worn pair of toe shoes, a Russian program to a ballet, a gold locket, and many letters written in Russian. She decides to have ...more
Carey Henderson
I'll start off with the positives: the storyline kept my attention enough for me to finish the novels & I liked the epilogue.

That about sums up my positives.

I have a very, very hard time liking a novel where adultery is justified (if you've read my past book reviews you'll notice a pattern concerning that topic). Even if the book is fantastic, when the author tries to convince the reader that the character's love affair was okay because...such &'s a dealbreaker for me.

Having l
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was fourteen. It was the first Danielle Steel book I saw in my life and Degas painting I had a lot of attention. So after much insisting my mother finally bought it. I never thought at that time that I would meet a beautiful story about ballet, nostalgia and imperial Russia of the last tsars.

Although it's in the first person by a witness narrator, it makes clear that the story is about her grandmother, or as she knew, Granny Dan an "eccentric" woman who cooked biscuits on
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read one Danielle Steel book before, and that was "Happy Birthday". I was mega impressed by it, so when my friend Sara gave me a copy of "Granny Dan" I was eager to read it. And although it wasn't as memorable or lasting to me as "Happy Birthday" was, I will admit I was entertained the entire book and read it in two sittings. It was a page turner, but I didn't find anything super unique about the story. I almost feel like there should have been half a book more of the story.

We are ta
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess we all know that Danielle Steel is not one of the best authors around, a lot of her books are very cheesy, not very original and predictable, but she also wrote a few nice ones. This is not one of my favorites, but it's a nice and easy read and I like ballerinas and a good love story. My actual rating is 3,5 stars.

After Danina's death her grand-daughter discovers that her grand-mother was once a very talented young ballet dancer who fell in love with the much older and married Nicolaj wh
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've only read a few Danielle Steel novels but so far they have all been about same.

1. A great forbidden love - check
2. The couple must make a long journey in order to be together - check
3. They will be staying with a relative of the male love interest - check
4. (view spoiler) - check
5. (view spoiler) - check

So though this was a decent book and Ms S
Dion Ribeiro
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sou grande apreciadora dos livros de Danielle Steel e apesar de este não ser um dos meus favoritos, gostei bastante.
Trata-se de um romance um tanto dramático, que aborda o fascinante mundo do ballet tendo como pano de fundo a Rússia czarista em inícios do século XX. Apreciei imenso as referências históricas e o meu interesse foi aumentando ao longo do livro, pois estava ansiosa por saber como iria acabar a história da protagonista, Danina Petroskova...
Aug 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
This will be the last Danielle Steele book I ever intend to read. She's so one dimensional. There's so much more she could do with her plot and characters and she wastes all of it on trite writing.
Christine Blythe
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sentimental book....My 2 passions entertwined, ballet and Historical fiction! I see that some people think that Danielle Steel is world of Violence and crime and hate.. corny is a relief! Loved it!
Rebecca Hazel Smith
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining and (very) easy enough to start and finish it on a three hour plane journey. Wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anybody as I found it quite repeating. I did fall in love with the main character though and her life story, which this book was all about.
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Történet egy – a könyv jelenében meghalt – nagymamáról, pontosabban a fiatalkoráról. A halála után az unokája kezébe akad egy doboz, benne régi emlékekkel, egy balettcipővel, egy titokzatos férfi képét tartalmazó medállal, és megannyi levéllel. A múlt feltárása során elénk tárul az egykori Oroszország és az akkor ünnepelt primabalerina élete, megannyi sorsfordító pillanattal…

A főhősök szimpatikusak voltak (bár Daninának volt egy olyan döntése, amivel nem értettem egyet). A cári család tagjai is
Asuka Mai
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Coba kau tengok nenek atau kakek mu, mungkin selama ini kau hanya menganggap nya tua, bersamanya merasa nyaman, dapat diandalkan dan seperti itulah dia.. Namun setelah kau gali lagi, ia punya rahasia besar di masa lalu nya, masa mudanya. Ia menyimpan rahasia hidup nya rapat-rapat, dan setelah ia tiada, rahasia nya ia bagikan kepadamu. Lalu kau akan terperanjat karena selama ini, kehidupannya tidak lah seperti yang kau kira..

Well, Ceritanya bagus banget!

Granny Dan, selama ini ia dikenal keluarg
Abigail Tippin
A great read! As always, Danielle Steel does a fantastic job bringing the reader into the story and I actually finished this book in less than a day! I couldn't put it down, it was such a riveting, dramatic, real life story that really puts into focus the lives that our grandparents may have lead. As Steel wrote, its easy for young people to view our elders as just old people; it never occurs to us that they were once young too! Granny Dan was a colorful, beautiful, complex and heartbreaking sto ...more
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed the historical portions.

Before reading Granny Dan I re-read Zoya (my favorite Danielle Steel with ballet and Romanovs)and now I can feel the great love of the ballet as a child rekindling.

There are unfortunately points where you stop and say to yourself..."This is a really hokey love story." And it is, but I continued to read it anyway.

FYI: Audio....not so great. The narrator is male, which bothers me because I'm supposedly seeing this story through the eyes of a girl/woman
Delilah Trenaman
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The story makes you realize that the different people in your life do or did have a different life outside of the one you share with them. Maybe we should take the time to ask questions of these people so that maybe we could find the person they are outside their relationship with us. We amy be surprised. I wish that I had asked more questions of my grandparents.
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ritka gyenge karakterábrázolások, annyira, hogy karaktereknek nevezni talán túlzás is, inkább sablonok. Egyszerű történetvezetés, egyszerű nyelvezet.

Érdekes, hogy Danielle Steelnek vannak jó, fordulatos regényei érdekes hősökkel, és vannak ehhez hasonló jóval gyengébb művei is.

Még rajongóknak sem ajánlom, másoknak - ahogy nekem is - időpazarlás.
Tracey L.
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Danielle Steel cannot write. While she sometimes has good storylines, her superficial and hackneyed storytelling manner is more akin to an average person summarizing a book rather than an author actually writing one. Her ongoing popularity astounds me.
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book but it reminded me of Zoya a little. This again was beautiful written and made my imagination run wild. Not many others can make you visualise what your are reading but steel can do this. A recommended read.
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book like never before, totally my favorite book from Danielle. I loved loved loved it. It made big influence to me.I hope it somedays make into a movie. <3
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found the story interesting but the writing horrible. She just repeats everything and only writes platitudes.
Adelaide Silva
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma história de amor e drama. Um olhar sobre a Rússia imperial e os sacrifícios sobre uma paixão maior, o ballet!
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite book. I can just read or listen to it again and again. It is a wonderful story!
Melva Yolla
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
dramatic story...
Jenny Church
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wrp2018, read-in-2018
The opening chapter of this book was quite good. Then it switched to a third-person narrator and, while it held my interest for a while, it got so repetitive that it became boring. I would have liked it much better if it had been from the granddaughter's point of view throughout, as she discovered her grandmother's story through the translated letters. This was my first time reading a Danielle Steel book, and it may be the last.
Ludovica Stinchelli
Sará dato dall' amore che provo per la danza che questo libro mi ha rubato il cuore.
La lettura del libro era diventato un dei miei momenti preferiti durante la giornata.
Amo le storia d'amore all'antica, in paesi con tradizioni diverse dal mio di cui non ne so niente.
Quella rigidezza, discrezione , rispetto e quel modo di parlare che per noi adesso sembra quasi una storia di fantasia
Bellissimo.. lo consiglierei a tutte le ragazze che amano la danza e credono nell'amore.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Granny Dan 1 1 Nov 20, 2012 08:47PM
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • The Secret Spanish Love Child
  • Love at First Sight
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • The Power of the Legendary Greek
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • Whitehorse
  • Tilly Trotter Wed (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bride's Awakening
  • Love in Another Town
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • French Pink
  • Ellis Island
  • Afternoon Delight
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)