Start by marking “Living Poor with Style” as Want to Read:
Living Poor with Style

Living Poor with Style

This fun and practical guide offers a huge variety of tips on living for less "with grace, humor, (and) imagination."

The author covers a wide range of topics including food, housing, transportation, clothes, and entertainment.

Published 1972 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Living Poor with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Poor with Style

Holly McIntyre
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! It has everything one needs to think about when striving to live frugally all wrapped up in one well-written and pleasingly designed package.

However, the 1992 edition which I read is somewhat quaintly antiquated -- no discussion of the internet, or freecycle, or craigslist. Nevertheless, the principles remain sound -- we just don't have to depend on bulletin boards in laundromats anymore.

This is a great place for the aspiring frugilista to begin or an excellent summary for
Lissa Notreallywolf
Jane
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The name of this book just popped into my mind and curious to see if it was still available, I found it is. My husband and I were struggling financially when this book came out in 1972, a couple years after we married. I remember how it encouraged us and how we benefited from its advice. If I recall correctly, it was written with good humor and practical hints. I am informed that although some it is comically outdated, still the general advice and tone of the book remains as good as ever it was.
Shayde Fischer
A bit outdated, but still useful with money saving ideas.
Captainblaubeere
Wenn ich das Buch schon früher gehabt hätte, hätte ich mir einiges an Ärger erspart. Im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes. Es ist wie die Zusammenfassung aller Weisheiten, die Großmutter und Großvater schon immer ihren Enkerln mit auf den Weg geben wollten. Eine erfrischende Anleitung, um besser, glücklicher und gesünder zu leben - mit vielen Tipps und Tricks leichter und vorallem nachhaltiger durch den Alltag zu kommen.

Von wie kauft man ein, hält die Küche sauber und was muss man beim Autokauf beachten
Carla JFCL
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book way back in the early 70s, when I was a "starving (college) student." It was full of great advice for getting by in life on almost nothing .... which was what I needed to do at that time. I still have my battered paperback copy, complete with the taped-together spine and my notes and underlining. Reading it now is a real trip back in time .... a great reminder of my "hippie days." Of course, most of the information is quite dated, but some of the basic concepts still apply today ...more
Mark
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Now that some fell beast slouches proudly again toward Wall Street, this book could come in mighty handily. For those who like (and deserve to be) living the good life but are turning down at the pocket.Sure prices have jumped in the years intervening its publication, inflation and all, but the advice with in is as good as gold. Now I just need to hook myself up with a new copy! Highly recommended.
Jim
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My family and friends
Shelves: reference
I was a bagboy at the prestious Lunds Food Mart in Edina in my senior year of HS. There was this box of books and this one caught my fancy. After reading about how hard it would be to 'Live Poor with Style' I thought continuing school would be a lot easier. :o)
Amber
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has a few interesting ideas about saving money, but it's mostly stuff you already know.
Lois
Mar 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Bought this back in my student-hippie days. Reminder of a certain time and place....
Jasmin Kocaer