Start by marking “The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)” as Want to Read:
The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)

The Heretic's Treasure

(Ben Hope #4)

An ancient fortune has lain hidden for thousands of years, one so powerful that men will kill to protect it. And only one man can unearth it.
Published January 1st 2011 by Not Avail (first published June 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Heretic's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heretic's Treasure

Matt
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Matt by: BAM The Bibliomaniac
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
Mariani brings Ben Hope back for his fourth full-length adventure, constantly reinventing this highly energetic protagonist. Having been through a number of professions in his short life, Ben Hope still wants to hang up his adventure goggles in some form. However, in the world of Kidnap & Ransom, there is never a shortage of work. Seeing an opportunity, Hope purchases some land in France and opens up his own training facility. With things running smoothly, Hope receives a call from Colonel H ...more
Richard
6/10

When I picked this up I assumed it would be a 3 star read and I wasn’t disappointed. Sometimes you just want something easy and reliable to get you going again, which is exactly what I needed after the Christmas period for my audiobooks.

The story is run of the mill for this sort of escapade; man needs to hunt something/someone down whilst in the arms of a beautiful woman and solve a number of clues before some inevitable twist at the end which is supposed to make you drop your j
Terence M
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Audiobook - 10 hours 25 Minutes - 3.0 stars out of 5.0 - Narrator: Colin Mace

Some explosive action towards the end failed to save my earlier hopes for this novel to be as good as the previous three in the series. I got a bit bored with all the Egyptian stuff - research is great but I think Mariani overloaded me with too much information that I and the story really didn't need. The interminable desert trek and the results of the search had me begging for some believability. I knew I w
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally a big fan of Scott Mariani and have read a couple of his books before and enjoyed them very much. I'm a fan of the whole 'Dan Brown' ilk of books and can suspend my disbelief as well as anyone but with this book it felt like my disbelief was pushed just that bit too far. I still enjoyed the main character and thought he was well portrayed; complex and intriguing and ultimately a good guy despite the whole killing people thing, but parts of the plot were ridiculous. Particularly some of the ...more
Grace
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
This was another great book in the series and I'm looking forward to reading the rest. What I particularly like about this series is that the books I have read so far are very different in their styles. Often when you read books by a particular author you begin to recognise their style. It's similar when you listen to music by a recording artist you recognise their style if they write or compose their own songs.

Scott Mariani writes a good adventure story with the character Ben Hope.
Joe Geesin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great Ben Hope book. A good twist at the end.
Melly Kallon
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's so awful when you want to read so badly but you have to study at the same time. I really enjoyed The Heretic's Treasure. There's a point were I didn't want to stop but since I read only on the bus and I was already in lecture, I had to stop. It's just not f***king fair!
Ah, I made a really slow progress with books but next week I'm beginning with the fifth book, yay.
Carolyn
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scott-mariani, 2013
A much more engaging read than 'The Doomsday Prophecy'. I find Egyptian history fascinating and having been to a number of the places mentioned in the story just made the whole thing so much more interesting. The heretic of the title is Akhenaten who moved his people away from the worship of multiple gods to the worship of one god - the Sun god. Despised by most of his people, it is suggested that three high priests who opposed this idea began to steal away the heretic's treasures and hide them ...more
Richard
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
An enjoyable, easy to read, lightweight thriller, involving a caricatured superman-like alpha male, who not only has every woman in the book hopelessly falling at his feet drooling, he also happens to be an ex-SAS operative, who at times seems to be one of those men who is able to take down four armed adversaries at a time, using nothing but a lightening reflex and a half empty packet of French cigarettes…while simultaneously tying his shoelaces

As long as you take it for what it is,
Stephen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've become a big Ben Hope fan. This sees hope looking into the murder of the son of an old friend. Unfortunately, Ben has been duped, and things are not what they seem. As the truth comes out, Ben finds himself working for a man he detests. An ancient treasure, a lost Egyptian King, and a tangled web are all Ben can hope for. Maybe, just maybe he can still come out on top.
Lukerik
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is the funniest book I've read in quite a while. It's a satire of the thriller genre so comically overblown I had to annoy Jo by reading bits out to her. Cleverly, Mariani employs the tropes while taking the piss out of them so it's also a very entertaining thriller in it's own right. Underlying the chain of preposterous coincidences that constitute the plot is an excellent structure. It opens with an old man ushering the hero with a thousand faces into the world of adventure, builds to Ari ...more
Justine Peroni
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love Ben Hope!

Ever since I read the first novel with Ben Hope I have been enthralled with each story and the interaction of the characters. It is like James Bond meets Indiana Jones but more! You would definitely want him on your side and in this story it makes no exception. Lost treasure, a murdered son and grieving father. Throw in many twists and turns and you have a rollercoaster of a journey that starts in France and ends in the Sudan. The history behind the Egyptians was fas
Warren Thoms
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it

A fast paced book with a bit of a twist at the end. Ben helps the guy that saved his life. He finds out things are not always as they seem and things go off the rails from there. A story of treasure and murder and mayhem. It is strange with Ben who used to be a soldier and a killer, who now gets into situations but if he kills, he feels bad afterwards. The series is still fresh with lots of possibilities to go from here.
Gregory Senftleben
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is just utter junk. The ease with which the protagonist solves problems is ridiculously straight lined. The plot had some twists, yes, but also potholes you could drive a truck through. It is also just gossamer laced with Egyptology, but the author seemed to instead have more of an interest in different types of expensive alcoholic beverages which he name drops regularly. Oh, and names of different weapons. Uffff....If this were a movie, it would be a cheap b-rated flop with bad actors ...more
Leslie
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the premise of this book exiting, but the writing was a big disappointment. The hero missed obvious clues, and I lost interest in him for that. The punctuation relied heavily on dashes, which I found to mostly an incorrect substitute for commas and colons. Also, I prefer my action stories to be much less drowning in emotion than this one was.
Sandra
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the premise of this, Achilles armour and shield. That was what grabbed my attention in the first place. I was sad to say I never connected with the characters. For me to enjoy a book, I have to have that connection.
Lisa Swanepoel
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Out of the Ben Hope stories so far this was my favourite. There were a number of twists and turns and lots of action as well as some interesting history. I do think the ending was a little abrupt. Worth reading.
Colleen Elizabeth Edwards
Good read for the holidays

Another Ben Hope fast moving action packed tale
Really interesting twist to a thriller descriptions wonderful
Just wanted to keep reading to the end recommend for holiday read
Belinda Cooper
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

I started reading these because my favourite author hasn't written for a while. This is the fourth book I have read and it just fabulous. Fast paced, plausible plot that is fairly historically accurate. Great twist towards the end that I did not see coming. Read it!
Thomas Devine
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Plenty of action, plenty of thrills, with a damsel in distress; an inept sidekick; often grisly murders here & there. Fairly formulaic. A good read. Author knows his stuff.
Timothy Roark
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading the Ben Hope series. However, this was my least favorite of the 4 that I have read. Can't put my finger on it, but just didn't enjoy it like the others.
Willo Font
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect companion for a vacation . Lost treasures, mystery, terrorist, a lot of bang bang, and a new hero a la Indiana Jones style.
Ruth Gillam
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was a really good read with a solid believable storyline as with all books by the author. Would recommend if you are a fan of well written thriller novels that keep you wanting to turn the page.
Brigitte
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book as much as the previous three. It is an engaging book but not the page turner I was expecting after the previous three books.
linda lipinski
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great
Katherine A. McClure
An excellent read!

Heretic's Treasure is a treasure in itself. The story line is explosive! The action is non-stop. This is one of the best books I've read in quite some time.
Clare
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fast book, no rest reading this one.
IAN SPEIGHT
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Thumping good adventure story! lots of action plot twists.My first novel by Scott Mariani. Won't be the last.
Peter Monck
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I’m going to give these a break, now, until I feel in the mood for another conspiracy theory based thriller. No bad, just need a break from the formula.
Barbara Bewick
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cannot put the books written by Scott Mariani down, gotta keep reading. Fantastic Reads.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Cross (Vampire Federation, #2)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones #7)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • Kingdom
  • The Map
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Chosen One (Maggie Costello, #2)
  • Book of Secrets
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #5)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • Splintered Icon
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)

Ben Hope (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope #1)
  • The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2)
  • The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope, #7)
  • The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope, #8)
  • The Nemesis Program (Ben Hope, #9)
  • The Forgotten Holocaust (Ben Hope, #10)
  • The Martyr's Curse (Ben Hope, #11)