Start by marking “Dragonfly” as Want to Read:
Dragonfly

Dragonfly

(Dragonfly & The Glass Swallow #1)

Princess Taoshira of the Blue Crescent Islands is appalled when she is ordered to marry Prince Ramil of Gerfal. And he's not too pleased, either. She is used to a life of discipline, ritual, and splendor. He is used to hunting and carousing. They hate each other on sight. But both of their countries are under threat from a fearsome warlord, and the only chance of peace is ...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Skyscape (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfly, please sign up.
Anna Yes. The story is perfect for a 13 year old. There're romantic relationships but no bedroom scenes or cussing.
Camilla No, not at all. This is a stand-alone story, so no sequel or cliff hanger although there is a companion novel.

Liana
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow. I just. WOW.

My friend Cindy recommended this book to me, and she was like, "Liana, you should read it! It's so good!" And when she says something is good, it's always true. Well, 90% of the time.

Anyways, Cindy insisted that it was a lot like Kristin Cashore's FIRE. But I still think it's more like the first book in that series, GRACELING. (And I tell you I love Kristin Cashore.) It's like Graceling and The Princess Bride combined- I love both of those books, and, therefore, I loved Dragonfl
Maria Elmvang
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous fantasy novel with lots of humour, romance and action. I was especially intrigued by how Tashi and Ramil not only had to learn how to get along, but had to learn to accept the traditions and culture of each other's countries.

And I was totally taken in by Tashi's self-appointed protector Gordoc, who in his simple-mindedness often ended up more insightful than all of his so-called 'knowledgeable' friends.
bibliophile (Romance Addict)

This book surprised me on so many levels. I expected a fantasy novel that has to do with magic, or fantasy creatures. However, I wasn't disappointed to learn that this has nothing to do with my expectations. It was so much more.

This
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Princess Bride
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Kiwiria
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 2008
This wonderful tale of adventure, self-discovery and love is marketed to the 9-12 year-old age group (like Anne of Green Gables - always a surprise, since when I finally got around to reading it at 14 I really struggled with it), but is highly enjoyable for any age group.

Sixteen year old Taoshira, Fourth Crown Princess of the Crescent Islands, was elected at 12, plucked from her goat herd on Kai Island and has been immersed in formality, ritual and rigmarole ever since. The other three Crown Pri
Sherwood Smith
Aug 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
If I were still teaching, I would have bought a copy instantly for my classroom shelves. I know I would have loved this book at age twelve or thirteen, and would have read and reread it passionately.

Now I'm old, and I still found it perfect read for soggy hot weather after two days of insomnia. Tashi, the sixteen year old Fourth Princess of the Blue Crescent, is sent to marry eighteen year old Ramil of Gerfal. The Blue Crescent people are peaceful goddess worshippers . . . but they have invented
Victoria
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!! Brilliant!!! I'm speechless!!!

Princess Taoshira of the Blue Crescent Islands is ordered to marry Prince Ramil of Gerfal. Ramil isn't happy about that too. They are too different. She is the Fourth Princess who is used to a life of discipline, ritual and splendor. Ramil is a "boor" who is used to hunting and horse riding. They hate each other on sight. But both of their countries are under threat from a fearsome warlord, and the only chance of peace is to form an alliance.

There are
Monique V
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
4.25 Awww so cute. This book has a great world and I want to read more books that take place here!
Stacia (the 2010 club)
This book could have been a 4 for me if a few of the overly descriptive parts had been left out. Yes, I know...it's fantasy, and it's to be expected. While Golding has an excellent writing style and nice flow, I found myself skimming a few random parts that were only cosmetic to the story, and was still able to keep up with no problem.

That said, this book was a pleasant read and I enjoyed it. It's always nice to read about growth in the main characters, and both the hero and heroine had to overc
Jessica
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! It had everything I love in a book, comedy, action, and a love story (with nothing too cheesy) all mixed together. There were times where I was freaking out about what was going to happen, if the characters I had grown to love were going to live or die. There were other times where I was laughing out loud right where I was sitting. And then there were times where I wanted the characters to pull it together and realize there feelings for each other.
I've noticed that I
Valerie
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A teriffic plot and a memorable story. The blurb explains what the book is about pretty well so I'll leave out an overview. I will say however, that their world was rich with different cultures and people.

Tashi and Ramil are quite a dynamic pair. I knew there was supposed to be romance in this book but I expected it to be different. They seemed so young but did things that were responsible-most of the time. They reacted off of each other most of the time. The secondary characters grew on me. How
Maria
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a kid- loved it!
Krystle
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Dragonfly has everything I could want in a fantasy book – action, romance, a beautiful cover, and well defined characters – but I just could not get into it.

It’s not because of the writing though, Julia Golding’s prose is beautiful with eloquent and evocative descriptions, and swift turns of phrase. But the major downfall of this book is the plot. It’s extremely cliché and very, very predictable. I’m sure that after you’ve read five chapters you’ll be able to figure out exactly what’s going to h
Marta
AHHH!!!! SOOOO GOOD!!! Okay, first things first, favorite character: Gordoc. He was such a softy under all the muscle and I loved that he was like an uncle to Tashi!! So protective, I love that. Prince Ramil: Y.U.M. Ram was....a character you don't want to like in the early beginning but you just can't. And as you get farther along in the book you fall more in love with him. I loved that for once it was the guy getting jealous of the girl. And never once did he stray from his feelings for Tashi. ...more
Small Review

Originally posted at Small Review

Dragonfly held so much promise: A hate-turned-love romance, fantasy, questing, culture clash, battles. Oh gosh, the blurb sounded like a recipe for success, but unfortunately the actual story fell flat for me.

I’m a character girl

I need to love my characters, especially in a book like this. The hate-turned-love romantic device relies completely on the strength of the characters. They need to be interesting as individuals and there needs to be a spark bet
Elissa
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are a reader who enjoys mystery, thriller, or any other types of books besides fantasy and adventure, this book is not for you. This book is full of fun, daring adventure. At the same time, it will test the limit to your imagination.

Princess Taoshira is the fourth crowned princess of the Blue Crescent Islands. She is also the youngest at 16 years old, and the oldest is 84, which is the first crowned princess. In this island, women are more dominant to men. They have more important jobs an
Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire
This was a truly precious book. So simple and easy to read, yet thoroughly entertaining. I can't believe it passed me by when it first came out. It didn't ask too much of the reader, but it really allowed the reader to understand the stages two characters go through in order to reach not only an understanding, but a true fondness that eventually evolves into love.

Taoshira is a young girl who is forced into a life she never expected of herself. She went from goat-girl to a princess with highly s
Trudi
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read Dragonfly thinking it would be a fun read and thought the plot looked interesting and cute...but, I was disappointed. Not necessarily that the book was terrible, just disappointing because the plot would of been so cute, and could of been cute if it would of been more focused on Ramil and Tashi and not just Tashi and her whole "finding myself and what I believe in".
Also, I found myself confused most of the time, it was so fast pace and jumped around so much that I barely could figure out
Josie
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This... did not read like a sixth novel. I can forgive a little awkwardness in an author's writing if the characters are interesting and the story engaging, but... guess what... :|

The whole ~forced marriage turning into true love~ can be such a guilty pleasure to read if done well, but I wasn't feeling it. I think it didn't work for me because I had two major issues with this book. Firstly, I disliked how Tashi completely assimilated into Ramil's culture. When the West versus East comparison was
Anne
RECENZE NA BLOGU

Únos čtvrté princezny je precizní příběh, kterému nechybí nic, co by řádný příběh mít měl. Najdete zde akci, dobrodružství a napětí, romantiku, humor i mnohé náměty k zamyšlení.

Hlavní postavy - princ Ramil a princezna Tashi se vám jistojistě nesmazatelně zapíší do paměti a s nimi i jejich příběh, který zaujme jak mladší, tak starší čtenáře, kluky i holky.

Reakce po dočtení:

Právě jsem dočetla a jsem NADŠENÁ! Upřímně jsem nečekala, že by kniha s touto obálkou, která je podle mého
Arya
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book, exploring issues such as arranged marriage, religious freedom, tyrannts, political alliances and racial prejudice.

Taoshira, the Fourth Crown Princess of the Blue Cresent Islands is about to get a very great shock. . . she has been promised in marriage to Prince Ramil of Gerfal - a country halfway around the known world - to secure a political alliance for her country.

From the first page detailing the rituals that the Fourth Crown Princess must complete each morning, to
Kogiopsis
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I'm a veteran of more arranged marriage RPs than I care to admit, and the simplest way to explain this book is: this is what I was looking for in all those roleplays. This is a fantasy arranged marriage done right.
Hollie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
what a journey. the character depth was great. It made for a fast paced sweet read. I would have preferred an epilogue but I'm still pleased with it overall.
Emily
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved Dragonfly. It made me laugh, cry, get the chills, & even boiled my blood in one particular scene! What more can you ask for in a reading experience? Excellent fun.
Zoe and the Edge
4.5 Stars
It took me a while to get into this story. I found the world building boring. But then further along the track, I started getting invested with the story. It's actually very good.
I found all the Goddess talk annoying but I liked that Tashi was so imperturbable and I grew fond of her quite quickly. The other countries think that Tashi and her people, the Blue Crescents are a cult, an eerie, supernatural people with magical powers. Tashi is really very cute. Devout and petite with golden
Heather
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who liked The Princess Bride/Pride and Prejudice
If you liked the adventure in the Princess Bride than you will like this book, and if you liked the relationship between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy than you will definitely love this book. Tashi, Ramil, Gordoc, and all the other lovable characters make this book worth reading; but not the only reason, the backdrop is weaved around an action-adventure that keeps the book moving along at a fast pace.

This book has love, battles,and humor, what else do you need...

***mild spoilers, so if you haven't re
Melanie
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Evil warlord is warlording towards a country. Country attempts to make alliance with other country but they are too different and friction ensues. Things happen and people travel around and other things happen. Lots of fortuitous friendships are happened upon. Some more things happen.

So, apparently I'm in the huge minority of people that don't think this book is all that great. And I think the reason that I think this is because it's all a little too planned out. I know, I know - books that are
Tito
Ok so at first I kind of hated this book, and only got through the first few chapters before DNFing it. However I decided to reread it as there was nothing else to read at the time, and as I kept going through it, I quickly got sucked in. I don't know why the book and I didn't click at first, but now I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked seeing the relationship between Ramil and Tashi progress, and although the writing seemed a bit juvenile to me at times, I was able to go through the book ...more
Melissa
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! This will be one I look to buy. It had all my favorite elements~ Princess, prince, love, adventure,growing and finding yourself! The characters were great. I wish I could have gotten into there heads a little more. There is a lot of action and I had a hard time putting the book down. These books are great tween-teen reads. There is some violence, but it was not too descriptive. 14 and up. There is a second story I will be looking into getting but it is not of the same characters ...more
Michelle
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Adventure Readers
Recommended to Michelle by: YALSA Teen Top Ten nominee
While I got into the book and wanted to know what happened to the characters, it was very predictable. You kinda know what's going to happen and some elements of the story weren't that much of a surprise. However, I was fascinated by the religious aspect of main female character, Tashi. Her ordeal was very interesting and I think that kept me more glued to the pages than the romance aspect of the plot. Though it is listed as a fantasy, it's much more of an adventure tale.
My biggest complaint wa
  • Queen in Exile
  • Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)
  • StarCrossed (Thief Errant, #1)
  • Watersmeet (Watersmeet, #1)
  • Fortune's Folly
  • Brightly Woven
  • The Silver Bowl (Silver Bowl, #1)
  • The Glass Maker's Daughter (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #1)
  • Secondhand Charm
  • The Princess's Dragon (The Breath of the Divine, #1)
  • Vessel
  • The False Princess
  • The Shifter (Healing Wars, #1)
  • Stuck on Earth
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)
My journey to becoming an author has been a roundabout one, taking in many other careers. I grew up on the edge of Epping Forest and was that dreamy kind of child who was always writing stories. After reading English at Cambridge, I decided to find out as much as I could about the wider world so joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland. My work as a diplomat took me from the high point of to ...more

Dragonfly & The Glass Swallow (2 books)
  • The Glass Swallow (Dragonfly & The Glass Swallow, #2)
“Ramil met Tashi's eyes with a mischievous look. "Now Wife we have a long voyage ahead of us with no interruptions, no affairs of state to sidetrack us." He brushed his fingers againist the lacings of her neck. "Isn't it time you returned that shirt to its owner?” 61 likes
“And as Prince Ramil has insulted you by choosing another wife than the one you proposed for him, you'll want to cast him out too," she suggested slyly.
"Oh, undoubtedly," murmed Ramil. "Do cast me out.”
55 likes