Start by marking “Here Was a Man” as Want to Read:
Here Was a Man

Here Was a Man

From one of the original leading ladies of historical fiction, this reissued classic captures the life of sir Walter Raleigh—a man of extraordinary ambition whose complex relationship with Elizabeth I followed him around the globe.

Beloved historical novelist Norah Lofts was the queen of royal tales for generations. Loft’s books are back, and in Here Was a Man, one of th

Published July 14th 2009 by Touchstone (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Here Was a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Was a Man

booklady
Interesting historical novel about Sir Walter Raleigh. Easy to read, but a little disjointed—each chapter was a major event in Raleigh’s adult life; readers were left to fill in (with imagination) what happened during the intervening time lapse. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, the author, Norah Lofts, kept true to the major facts about his life. She also seems to have done a good job presenting his character and the other major characters (Queen Elizabeth I, Essex, Shakespeare, and Sydney Phillip ...more
Sverre
This novel about Sir Walter Raleigh is presented in thirty-one chapters, from 1568, at his age fourteen, to his death by execution in 1618. Each chapter highlights an event or series of events in his adventurous, heroic and tragic life. Norah Lofts was a prolific successful novelist and I have enjoyed many of her books but the format of this book leaves the reader in search of many answers. It is perhaps too abbreviated, lacking in historical background or political and religious perspectives. M ...more
Bish Denham
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I debated between giving this 2 and 3 stars. It was okay, and in some ways I liked it. But it really wasn't as good or as exciting as I expected/thought it to be.

First, the point of view jumped around so much from person to person I never felt involved or committed to any of the characters, not even Sir Walter Raleigh. Second, Raleigh's adventures felt rushed and even glossed over and they all seemed to be magnificent failures. Third, after reading about him on Wikipedia (I know not the best sou
Diane
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story of Sir Walter Raleigh in the time of Elizabeth I
Lori
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Learned quite a bit about Walter Raleigh and his exploits. Elizabeth treated him I think the same as she did Robert Dudley. Another book to add to my Tudor collection.
Nancy
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was an enjoyable read; the book fulfills its promise as historical fiction. It is a series of stories about Sir Walter Raleigh. Since I have been watched the movie "Elizabeth" and am watching the "Tudors", the stories in the book add depth to the tapestry that is England during this time. It was subtle, which I enjoyed. But not a lot of motion and action.

I guess in the end I give it a standard 3 stars. If you like historical fiction I dare say you wo
Helen Azar
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Well written, but some strange historical revisionism going on... For no reason at all... I was a little confused when the author had Lettice Knollys marry Robert Essex, who was her own son (in fact, not in the book)! And somehow Cecil outlived Elizabeth to plot Raleigh's downfall... Other than that it was a good book.
Kay Robart
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sir Walter Raleigh's life is told in a series of disconnected vignettes. Depth of character is lacking, and Lofts fails to make Raleigh's life seem at all exciting.

See my complete review here:

April Stanley
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
The back of the book thankfully misadvertises this as a romance novel. It focuses on Raleigh's life and ambitions. I knew very little of him before and now am pleased this book introduced me to the interesting character that he was.
Tammy
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, own
2 1/2 stars
The first part of this book I felt like it was lacking something and almost put it aside. The second part I started enjoying but question some accuracies. The third part hmm. Maybe I will like it better another time.
Labels: #Historicalfiction,#TudorEngland,#SirWalterRaleigh
Bonnie Kerr
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought it a bit boring although I learned alot about Sir Walter Raleigh which is good as I didn't remember much about him that I might have learned in school.
Carol
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fits with a previous reading jag...Queen Elizabeth and her courtiers

fanciful view of the period
Christine
Nancy
rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2011
Courtney
rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2009
Valerie
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kindle Edition 1 8 Aug 05, 2009 02:46PM

• Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • The Lady and the Poet
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • Dear Heart, How Like You This?: The Cost of Love.
  • A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley
  • House of Treason: The Rise and Fall of a Tudor Dynasty
  • The Wild Irish
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • England Under the Tudors
  • A Daughter's Love: Thomas More and His Dearest Meg
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen