Start by marking “The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  104,451 Ratings  ·  3,405 Reviews
This enhanced eBook includes the full text of the novel plus the following additional content:
- An exclusive preview chapter from Tess Gerritsen's"Ice Cold," on sale in hardcover June 29, 2010
- Rizzoli & Isles, In Their Own Words: learn more about the lead characters in these special essays written by the author
- Rizzoli & Isles TV Pilot script: read pages from t
Published October 2nd 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon, please sign up.

Emma Whilst the first episode of Rizzoli and Isles is based on the first two books (The Surgeon and The Apprentice) the books and the series are two…moreWhilst the first episode of Rizzoli and Isles is based on the first two books (The Surgeon and The Apprentice) the books and the series are two completely different entities, which is actually pretty great. It means that there is no confusion between the two as the stories don't intertwine. Definitely give the books a go, they're some of the best out there. (less)
Kitten I'd definitely say so. I mean, if you want to read "The Surgeon" it doesn't matter anyway since it is the first book in the series, but I think that…moreI'd definitely say so. I mean, if you want to read "The Surgeon" it doesn't matter anyway since it is the first book in the series, but I think that the same goes for other Rizzoli & Isles books. The first one I read was the tenth book and I did not have any problems with it at all. :)(less)

Punk
May 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Thriller. Trigger Warning for discussion of rape.

Let's review:
1. "He identifies and removes only the organ he wants. Nothing more. And what he wants is the womb." [...] "He hates women," she said. "He cuts out the one thing that makes them women." (p.60)

2. Ignoring the water bottle and the disgusting object it contained... (p.67)

3. "'She thought: "It's my fault. I shouldn't have been so careless." But that's how it is with women.' She looked directly at Moore. 'We blame ourselves for everythin
Sue
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Surgeon is a brilliantly written medical thriller, that will have you gripped and terrified from page one until you finish the novel. As a avid reader of mystery, suspense thrillers, this novel delivered so much more.

It was all a game. The Surgeon fed on terror. He attacked women who were victims. He was always in control. The victims had been tied down, raped and gutted.

Three women had been raped but only one victim had reported her rape to the police. All three had sought medical attenti
Old_airman
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Maura Isles is totally missing. Jane Rizzoli is so much different than the TV show. I am a fan of the TV show so I decided to start with book #1. I was not disappointed in the book, but it was a bit of a shock to see Rizzoli as a homely, outsider fighting for her what was due her. The development of the characters was outstanding. The focus upon the impact on the lives of victims was fleshed out more than in any other crime novel that I have read. The surgical element was a bit overdeveloped for ...more
Jenny
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
The Surgeon is book one of the Rizzoli and Isles Series by Tess Gerritsen. Detective Thomas Moore and Detective Jan Rizzoli caught murder of a woman whose uterus is missing. Both Detective Thomas Moore and Detective Jan Rizzoli started to think is there a serial killer on the loose in their city. The readers of The Surgeon will follow the twist and turns of Detective Thomas Moore and Detective Jan Rizzoli investigation into the murders.

Tess Gerritsen has provided the readers of The Surgeon a new
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a murder mystery that's out of the ordinary
Shelves: it-takes-two
The Surgeon is a brilliantly-crafted tale of horror that's just so terrifying that you can't bear not to look. Seriously.

The story begins with a successful physician named Catherine Cordell who was nearly murdered a few years back in Savannah but lived to tell the tale because she blew her attacker away before he could finish the job. With her attacker's death, the string of grotesque torture-murders ends in Savannah, but then resurfaces in Boston. Which is just where Cordell now resides. The n
Fred
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Tess Gerritsen Fans Group Link - **my 2nd read**

The first book in series. Tess has medical school education at University of California. With that she writes with "extensive Medical terminology" easily understood. Her knowledge of Boston is nice.

Boston Homicide Unit's Jane Rizzoli & Thomas Moore lead a murder investigation in the South End with Elena Ortiz(22) raped, tied with duct tape, "catgut" stitches & a missing Uterus (female organ). They find Diana Sterling(30) was murdered last
Buggy
Opening Line:"Today they will find her body."

The Surgeon has been dubbed as Rizzoli and Isles book #1 and even though this was a very good read I think anyone coming here as a fan of the TV series will be disappointed as the only similarities between the two is the name of one of the characters. Maura Isles is not in this story and Rizzoli is no Angie Harmon, (and probably one of the most dislikable heroines I’ve ever read- more on that later) If you’re at all sensitive to blood and vivid medica
Raíla Soares
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Surgeon is a remarkable, wonderfully well-written thriller. I had never read such an amazing story like this in my whole life. I am serious. The killer's speech feels so real! While reading, I had the feeling that someone was watching me, like... It's scary.

So many mysteries behind every little thing of the investigation... There's a moment when they induce hypnosis in the main victim, Catherine Cordell, so she can remember things from the crime scene, which is also minutely described. It's
Abby (Crime by the Book)
Picked this one up on a whim and WOW did I enjoy it. I'd never read a Tess Gerritsen book before and I was hooked!! I can absolutely see why a TV show was made from her books - THE SURGEON reads like it's made for the screen. This book was fast-paced, totally addictive, and also totally chilling. It's a cop-vs-serial killer story with a twist: Gerritsen applies her own background in medicine to add a whole extra dimension to her crime novel. I loved the hospital setting, the medical details, and ...more
Wendy Darling
If you're just coming into the Rizzoli and Isles books, be aware that these are very different from the AMC series. Dark, gruesome, and complicated, the series follows the strong Detective Jane Rizzoli through several fascinating cases. (Maura Isles plays a bigger role in the later books, though I'm not as big a fan of those that focus on her.) The writing is excellent, the stories are mostly consistently good, and they're terrific thrillers for fans of Chelsea Cain or Karin Slaughter.
Nikki
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Trigger warnings: rape, mutilation, medical details (both descriptions of stuff like cancer and descriptions of accidents/operations).

That had to come first, because I spent much of this book wishing I had something firm and indestructible to crawl into, to keep me safe. The details are just horrifying -- it reminds me very much of my experience with Val McDermid's work. And, as with that, I had to read to the end to find out who the killer/torturer was, before I could begin to feel okay again.
Rosie
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to start reading this series for a while, and I was very lucky to find this book at a book swap library thing at the Botanic Gardens (I can't remember exactly what it's called, but basically you can take a book when you put a book there, or return the book you took...now I am confusing myself...).
Anyway, it was a great read! It took me a while to really get into it, but after about a quarter of the way through I found it difficult to put down. I have watched a couple of episod
Kevin
This one grabbed me from the first chapter and kept the pages flying. Not since "The Silence of the Lambs" have I felt so compelled to finish a book. This one creeped me out! I found myself hearing noises in my house late at night.
Brenda
review and rating to be revealed soon
Tamara
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Genoten van dit boek! Van begin tot eind spannend.
Gülay Cansever
Serinin ilk kitabı biter. Dizisini çok severek izliyordum. Favorim dizideki Rizolli ve İsles 😅😂
Annina
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohne Schlaf hätte ich es am Stück gelesen. Das Ende war bisschen schnell aber trotzdem top.
Zuky the BookBum
Trigger warning: this book is heavily focused on sexual assault and rape.

This novel is certainly very captivating. I found it difficult to put it down once I had picked it up! I loved the crime and mysterious criminal and I loved the pace of it all. Sometimes, these crime novels can burst with excitement for one second, and then fizzle out until the last few pages, or, completely the opposite of that, be total non-stop action, but feel really over the top and unrealistic. This, on the other hand
Marty Fried
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of had mixed feelings about this book for much of the story. I found Jane Rizzoli hard to like most of the way, but toward the end, I started to understand her better, and to see why she is the way she is. Being a woman in a man's world is not easy, I think, and she constantly felt the need to prove herself. I can understand that, but she seemed to have a chip on her shoulder, so she's hard to like, especially when she's around people who don't deserve her scorn.

It seems like her feelings
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2015, faves, fiction
4.5 stars. Wow, this book definitely surpassed all of my expectations! I'm always hesitant to read crime thrillers because I usually end up losing interest and putting them down but this book was just wow! I like crime thrillers to be dark, disturbing, gruesome, creepy and well-written and this book ticked all of those boxes. I am really really impressed and I would love to read more books like this!

Tess Gerritsen's writing is phenomenal. Everything felt very authentic and realistic and I think
Noeleen
I really didn't need to start another series, I’ve way too many series going on at the moment but I had this book on my kindle for so long, it was time to give it a go, what’s another series! I've never seen the television programme based on these books so I really didn't know what to expect and perhaps the television programme isn't totally reflective of the books, I’m not sure. I’ll get to catch up with it at some stage and see for myself.

I realise this is both a popular series and popular aut
Vanessa
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Although this book is labeled as Rizzoli and Isles #1, only Jane Rizzoli appears in it. If you found your way here from the TV show, you'll find the Rizzoli in the source material quite different from the one on the show. For starters, not only is she a short woman but several characters (including Rizzoli herself) mention how plain she is. In other words, the book Rizzoli is no Angie Harmon. She also has a much less affectionate relationship with her family and male co-workers.

I needed some re
Freda Malone
Catherine Cordell has moved from Savannah, Georgia to Boston after a hospital resident rapes and attempts to kill her, brutally. She has shot and killed him but the terror is not over. The same thing is happening in Boston that happened to several other women in Savannah. Her predator is dead. How is this happening?

The Boston Homicide Unit, Rizzoli, Moore and Frost are on the case and have noticed the similarities in these rapes and gruesome murders. Women are being butchered and their uterus r
Carolyn
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is a pretty creepy, fast paced medical thriller. Three years previously Catherine Cordell, an emergency trauma surgeon survived a viscous rape and attack by a depraved junior doctor who had raped, butchered and killed three other young women in Savanna. Living now in Boston, Catherine is slowly regaining her confidence and starting to feel safe when the police call to inform her that a similar series of murders have been occurring in Boston. At first Catherine doesn't believe there could be ...more
Paige  Bookdragon

I may not watch the Rizzoli and Isles TV series, but I do watch CSI: Las Vegas.And one thing that stays into my mind while reading the Surgeon is that, this is like Crime Scene Investigation paperback style without any hot lab technician!

Aw man.

What we have is an insecure female Detective, a surgeon who is haunted by a fuckward killer, a male detective who I still don't know how to categorize and a brilliant psycho who has by far, the most interesting narration in the whole book.

Not trying to b
Kirsten
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent thriller set in Boston, the first Rizzoli & Ises thriller. Not the first I've read though, that would be The Mephisto Club.

I really enjoyed it. It was smart and well-paced. I wasn't too fond of the character of Rizzoli in this one, but I'm sure she changes in the series.
Angelique
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik had nog nooit iets gelezen van Tess Gerritsen en nu gaan we de hele serie lezen met de GR boekenclub Thrillerfans.

Ik heb me er wel mee vermaakt. Het bloed spat je om de oren en de onderlinge verhoudingen tussen de rechercheurs zijn scheef.
Jane Rizzoli komt aan bod als hoofdpersonage, maar eigenlijk heeft haar collega Thomas Moore een beduidend grotere rol in dit verhaal. Rizzoli is een aangebrand type, gevormd door haar jeugd en politiewerk, waar ze het altijd op moet nemen tegen mannen en
Yv
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb niet echt inspiratie voor een recensie. Totaal anders dan de serie, al komt het eind wel half overeen. Ik mis de humor van Jane, in het boek is het gewoon een chagrijnig mormel die met zichzelf in de knoop zit en met iedereen problemen heeft. De tekst was afwisselend interessant tot doodsaai en nergens werd het spannend. Hopelijk is het volgende deel beter. 2,5*.
Rebecca
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you like mysteries where you can try to put the clues together yourself, this book is not for you. You aren't getting the clues much before most of the characters, and you're not going to be able to guess the murderer early on. On the plus side, this means you don't spend much time frustrated at the characters for being idiots. But it was disappointing to discover that most of my theories were pretty much invalid and there was no way I would have been able to work it all out on my own.

But if
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • Sweetheart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian, #1; The Malones, #2)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
“Evil doesn't die. It never dies. It just takes on a new face, a new name. Just because we've been touched by it once, it doesn't mean we're immune to ever being hurt again. Lightning can strike twice.” 86 likes
“Where we go depends on what we know, and what we know depends on where we go.” 46 likes