Start by marking “Three Fingers” as Want to Read:
Three Fingers

Three Fingers

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Through a series of never-before-seen interviews and rare photos, documentary-maker Rich Koslowski reveals the horrifying true story behind the Cartoon industry and our most celebrated cartoon actors - the story that Hollywood doesn't want you to see.. Told in the style of a Ken Burns documentary, with interviews of 'toon stars today as well as historical "file footage" of ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Three Fingers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Fingers

Sam Quixote
May 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rich Koslowski’s Three Fingers is an alternate history of movie toons – characters like Mickey Mouse, Porky Pig, etc. all with their names changed of course – from the Golden Age of Hollywood presented as a documentary/talking heads-style comic. And it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

This is the book: familiar toon character – say, Foghorn Leghorn or Bugs Bunny – looks very aged and is usually hooked up to an iron lung or has a handler nearby because they’re so frail. They talk about how shitty the movie busi
Darren Cormier
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Perfect send-up of both the formulaic documentary-style structure of "True Hollywood Stories" type shows and the family-oriented image of Walt Disney. The manufactured conspiracies and drama of these shows is unveiled through its use of "eyewitness photographs", usually nothing more than a a blurry image with a vague reflection of the subject they are trying to cover.
I can't imagine this book would have been published in the 80s, when the Disney monolith was at is family-image zenith, and they
Matt Eldridge
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A darkly humored alternate-history mockumentary dramedy of the "golden age" of Hollywood and its cartoon stars, this was a really good read.

The closet thing the book has to a main character would be Rickey Rat and Dizzy Walters due to having the most impact on the events of the book. Rickey is the most sympathetic character for what the book holds in its later pages.

The conspiracy, described in the book as Walter's rival studios, was to "replicate" the lightning-in-the-bottle success of Rickey
Ciara
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ciara by: Matt Hartzell
If you're fairly new to the world of graphic novels, and your knowledge of comics begins and ends with Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man; then Three Fingers will surprise and delight you.

If, on the other hand, you're an avid comic book reader, and you know that graphic novels can span a broad range of subject matter and artistic styles... Three Fingers will likely still surprise and delight you.

Rich Koslowski brings his considerable skill as an artist and writer to this quirky tale of 'Toon-dom
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
As I have said before, I'm not one to do graphic novels here mainly because it feels like cheating. I can put one of those away in an afternoon, so it's a good way of padding the list. For that reason, I'll only mention them here if they're something I really think y'all should read.

This is definitely one that you should all read.

We all grew up watching cartoons - Mickey, Donald, Bugs and all them - and we all loved them. Some cartoons made it big, and some did not. But they all had one thing in
Aaron Ishmael
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes satire of Famous Toons
Shelves: graphic-novels
The cover and overall plotline hooked me... "Did you ever wonder why cartoon stars only had 3 fingers?"
Definitely enjoyed Rich Koslowski's dark & twisted 'Hollywood Story to Success' parody. Pretty cool. Many people would get the Toons he's bringing the life, but carefully not infringing on copyrighted material...like 'Ricky Rat', 'Buggy Bunny', 'Dapper Duck'. Especially like how we intertwined the story with actual historical events / coverups like JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, Marilyn Monroe
Olga
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This comic book makes you wonder why and if all cartoon characters you love have three fingers?
Written and drawn as a documentary this comic book introduces something new to the genre. This specific way of telling a story as short interviews, fragments of newspaper articles and 'real' pictures makes it really interesting and gives it a feel of a story based on true events.
It is a parody of animation and cartoon industry - even though all the names and titles are changed you can easily guess whic
Topher
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the weirdest books I've ever read, and I've read The Sugar Frosted Nutsack. Definitely worth reading. It's the best graphic novel mockumentary send-up of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style parallel universe Hollywood history/Disney Warner Bros. spoof/Cronenberg-style body horror novel I've ever read.
Dave Riley
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Great idea of course: what's behind the three fingers of animated cartoon characters? The story is bent to a historical chronology and mirrors the work of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. But ultimately, it's all a bit shallow, although the delivery -- the layout, format, pitch -- is superb. It was one helluva surprize when the book ended... It ran out of puff and just stopped.

So I'm disappointed.

George Marshall
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
The central premise - that the characters in cartoon films are real (and exist in our own world in an oppressed underclass called 'Toons') is so clearly derived from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that I find it hard to credit Koslowski for the three fingered theme which is genuinely original. It's a shame because it is beautifully drawn and could be a great comic. Oh well...
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • Chester 5000 XYV
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • Last Day in Vietnam
  • Pop Gun War Volume 1
  • Micrographica
  • Gingerbread Girl
  • The Compleat Moonshadow
  • BB Wolf and the Three LPs
  • Why Are You Doing This?
  • Diary of a Mosquito Abatement Man