Start by marking “How Not To Make a Wish (As You Wish, #1)” as Want to Read:
How Not To Make a Wish (As You Wish, #1)

How Not To Make a Wish (As You Wish #1)

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  824 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews

While cleaning an old lantern, Kira Franklin releases a genie. But this gender-morphing, appearance-bending creature doesn't do "big" wishes. So forget stopping world hunger or ending war. And still heartbroken from the jerk who dumped her, Kira doesn't believe in the perfect man.

So she wishes for her dream job. Stage manager at the hottest theater in town, the Landmark. A

Published October 1st 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about How Not To Make a Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not To Make a Wish

Tara
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Well, I've been excited about this book since I first read about back around April or May. I like Mindy Klasky, she writes light chick-lit with a hint of supernatural to it. Plus as an added bonus this book is about a stage manager, in theater, which is what I am. I've never read a book about someone that does what I do, so I was over the top excited, maybe that's what let me down. I mean I probably was hyper-sensitive because of how close I was to the main character, and let me tell you there w ...more
McKenzie
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
Kira's life hasn't been going too well. She was left at the alter right around a year ago, she's put on an unhealthy amount of weight, and her job as a stage manager is tanking. When cleaning the prop room, she finds a magic lamp. A little rub - and out pops Teel, a genie! Turns out, Kira now has some wishes to make. First, she wishes for her dream job. Little does she know that the new producer is a tad insane. She continues making wishes and continues learning from her mistakes, becoming a mor ...more
Cissa
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think anyone who goes into a chick-lit romance featuring a genie and expects depth is likely to be disappointed.

This is what it is: a light, fluffy romance/coming-of-age novel, with a genie to rev up the action, and to cause as many problems as it solves- in best wish-granted formula.

Kira is a complex and well-drawn heroine (narrative first person singular). Everyone else is less clearly drawn, but they are mostly not cardboard, either.

The plot is fairly predictable, but nicely executed, and a
Ana
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebooks
Chrystal
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I've read the Jane Madison series and loved it, but I just couldn't identify with the protagonist of the As You Wish series. I'm going to check out the rest of it, but I was pretty disappointed. I just got annoyed with all the "I hate myself because I'm fat and alone" stuff, when she kept making the same mistakes. Anyway, an easy read and not the worst thing I've ever read, but definitely not my favorite.
Casey
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I had mixed feelings about this. It was light, entertaining, and an easy read....but the character really bothered me. Kira was so...spineless. And I got really tired of her doing everything for some man. Or because of some man. I suppose it was a pretty accurate portrayal of a lot of women, but that didn't do anything to lesson my annoyance.
Miranda
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute read, theatre related which is fun.
Michele
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not in same league as Jane Madison series.
Rjlouise
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ACT ONE, WISH ONE by Mindy Klasky is about a professional stage manager (hooray techies!) who is - first and foremost, in her mind - love-lorn. Which is a pity, since she's a put-together, competent stage manager who also has a career worth worrying a little more about. And some incredible friends.

But, considering her chief concern in the first chapter is the anniversary of being jilted at the altar (her soon-to-be lack of job the secondary concern), the plot is pretty romance centered, as you m
Deviki
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I picked this book by random because I had this impression it will be an easy and light read. OH! boy was I wrong! Honestly I would like to give half a star for this book but Goodreads does not have that kind of features. Warning over use of the word ‘Seriously’
Things that made me utterly annoyed with this book.
Writing style and plot development, Oh man like seriously this author could have done a better job at writing, Seriously every time the genie appears in a different form, she talking abo
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Blonde with a Wand (Babes on Brooms, #1)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #1)
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • The Warren Witches (Charmed)
  • Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Fairest #1
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • Wicked by Any Other Name (Hex, #3)
  • Out of Time
  • Wednesday Night Witches (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Unscripted
  • Witched At Birth (A Paris, Texas Romance, #1)
Mindy Klasky learned to read when her parents shoved a book in her hands and told her that she could travel anywhere in the world through stories. She never forgot that advice.

Mindy's travels took her through multiple careers, including copyright lawyer and law librarian. Mindy now writes full time. Her books fall in a number of genres -- including traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, and category
More about Mindy Klasky...

As You Wish (4 books)
  • Wishful Thinking (As You Wish, #0)
  • When Good Wishes Go Bad (As You Wish, #2)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)