Start by marking “The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)” as Want to Read:
The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)

The Wee Free Men

(Discworld #30)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  80,159 ratings  ·  3,538 reviews
"Another world is colliding with this one," said the toad. "All the monsters are coming back."

"Why?" said Tiffany.

"There's no one to stop them.

There was silence for a moment.

Then Tiffany said, "There's me."

Armed only with a frying pan and her common sense, Tiffany Aching, a young witch-to-be, is all that stands between the monsters of Fairyland and the warm, green Chalk
Audio CD, Unabridged, 7 pages
Published June 14th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wee Free Men, please sign up.
Stacia No. But, if you read The Wee Free Men (love it!) first & want to read the other books with Tiffany Aching, those are best read in this order:
The…more
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight(less)

Patrick
I will never be able to write a book as good as this.

I just finished reading it again. This is probably my third or fourth time.

I love all of Pratchett's books. It's easy to do, as the best of them are utterly excellent, while the worst of them is merely great.

This, I think, might be his best. And I love it for so many reasons. It is diamond beyond price among the other brilliant (but perhaps lesser) diamonds.

Part of me wants to quote parts of it to you. But I won't. Out of context you can't f
Nataliya

I plan to use this book in the future as a strategic "weapon" for introducing my (future, hypothetical) daughter to the world of Terry Pratchett's imagination. Yes, I see it as a 'gateway drug' to fuel addiction to Sir Terry's writing. And that's the addiction I'm happy to perpetuate.
After all, this book introduces Tiffany Aching whom I love to pieces and want to adopt to be my level-headed and practical little sister.

"Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand
Matt
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of dangerous books for boys. I love classic boys literature, whether Dumas's 'Count of Monte Cristo', Kipling's 'Jungle Book', Burroughs 'A Princess of Mars', Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', or Heinlein's juvenile fiction. I love good stories that instruct boys in being adults. I love them for being persistently politically incorrect, not just now but then. I love them because they are stories by people who obviously know boys and know what they need. And, I love them for just being fun a ...more
unknown
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Terry Pratchett book. If you a looking for a way into his Discworld series (which is, at last count, 1 million books long), you could do worse. It's a totally separate story arc. It's the first of a shorter sub-series, giving you someplace to go if you like it. It's YA, so it goes down easy. It stars a creative, capable heroine and is in no way about her love of boys, which is always refreshing (still, still this is refreshing). And it's funny.

I mean, funny-ish. Funny is so inc
Siria
I really, really wish that I had a younger girl cousin to pass this book onto, because I think it's a perfect antidote for some of the books that are enjoying a vogue right now (*cough* Twilight *cough*). Where the latter feature some downright disturbing gender politics, The Wee Free Men has a heroine who's sensible and smart and capable; a realistic, strong relationship between grandmother and granddaughter; a world where women are bounded by preconceptions and gender roles and fears, but a ...more
María
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le tengo cariño a casi todas las brujas, para qué mentir. Pero Tiff me ha robado el corazón.
Tiffany Aching, aged nine, is the only member of her large family with a jot of curiosity about the outside world. For generations without counting, the Achings (also spelled Aikens, Archens, or Akins) have tended sheep in the Discworld backwater known as the Chalk. Nothing interesting has happened in the Chalk for all of recorded history.

But that's about to change. A parasitic fae world, made of selfish magic and dream fragments, is connecting to the Chalk. Monsters not seen in centuries are d
Lyn
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pictsies not Pixies.

While Terry Pratchett’s 2003 Discworld STORY (signifying that it is young adult book) introduces the spunky and likable nine year old protagonist Tiffany Aching (spawning four more books) the true hero(es) of this very enjoyable adventure are the Nac Mac Feegle.

Standing six inches tall, ginger bearded and blue tattooed, the Wee Free Men are fearless, profane (in a YA approved package), and like stealing, drinking and fighting. They are as hilarious as minions, kick ass and ha
Algernon
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

Usually, I'm at a loss when it comes to Christmas gifts. I don't like to give articles of clothing and gift cards feel too impersonal. I get by with the occasional bottle of perfume, compilation album or with some silly toy, but this year I think I've stumbled on a real gem: I bought The Wee Free Men because it is by Pratchett and because it says on the back cover the heroine is nine year's old. Turns out is is one of the very best in the whole Discworld catalogue, one of the funniest but also
Melindam
Netgalley arc provided by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Pure Pratchett, an ageless story with universal appeal to both children and adults.

This is one of the most serious stories of Discworld, as Terry Pratchett knew perfectly well that if you write to and about children, you have to b
Joey Woolfardis
"So... Roland with the beefy face was the hero, was he? And she was just like the stupid princess who broke her ankle and fainted all the time? That was completely unfair!"

[First read: 2nd June, 2013: 3 stars.
Second read: 17th July, 2018. 4 stars.]

You know when you finish a book and it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling and makes you smile-not too wide, not a stupid grin-just a lovely little expression you give yourself, as if you're remembering a joke or something nice that happened to you once?
Lightreads
Young sheep farmer's daughter begins training to be the witch of the chalk hills that she loves. She has the help of a lot of six-inch fairies with drinking problems and pointy swords, which is good because there's no school for learning witchery, unless you think of the whole world as the school.

Oh, marvelous. I read the three published books straight through everywhere I went, and I know I disturbed people by standing there beaming in the elevator. There may also have been bouncing.

These books
Cphe
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, faith, fantasy, humour, series
This was a book club read. I hadn't read anything by Terry Pratchett before and the novel certainly wasn't a genre that I've read a lot in. I enjoyed the world building that the author introduced and the delivery of the story. It was fast paced. I felt at heart that it was an adventure, a story of the "little guy" taking on the "big bad meanie" and triumphing against overwhelming odds. It's a theme that I often look for in the novels I read. In this case it was a nine year old girl called Tiffan ...more
Anna
How can something be so funny, and at the same time so serious and deep? The whole story and Tiffany herself. She is so earnest, never surprised by the oddest things - wee free men popping up, witches and monsters appearing, the world needing to be saved…she takes all that in her stride. She questions things other people, even adults, take on face value, and she THINKS. About things in general, and also about her own thoughts and reactions.

“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up th
Jo
OK, I’m going to start this review with some maths. No! Wait, don’t go. It’s going to be YA style maths and, well, it’s me… so it’ll be dead easy.
Though before we begin, you can leave your payment in the basket just over there. Not vegetables. I want chocolate. Not got any? No worries…I’ll wait until you come back from the paper shop*.
Back?
Right:

Hermione Granger + Mildred Hubble + Matilda Wormwood = Tiffany Aching.

I’m almost tempted to just leave this review at that because, honestly, if you’re
Eirini Proikaki
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένα απο τα πιο διασκεδαστικά βιβλία που έχω διαβάσει.Απολαυστικό,γεμάτο χιούμορ και έξυπνες ατάκες.Γέλασα με τα κατορθώματα των Νακ Μακ Φιγκλ και αγάπησα την Τίφανι που κατατροπώνει τέρατα με το τηγάνι της και το μυαλό της.
Θα το πρότεινα σε όσους έχουν παιδιά γιατί είναι ένα απο τα καλύτερα βιβλία του είδους που έχω διαβάσει αλλά είδα δυστυχώς οτι είναι εξαντλημένο.
TheBookSmugglers
I will start this post with another Old School Wednesdays’ confession: I only ever read one Terry Pratchett novel, Good Omens ages ago and that was only because he wrote that in collaboration with Neil Gaiman.

I know what you’re thinking right now: “CRIVENS! I can’t believe you haven’t read any Terry Pratchett till now, Ana.”

I KNOW, right? Anyway, the real problem with this course of action was of course, WHERE to start, given as how Pratchett has over 40 novels in the Discworld series alone. I h
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

A toast from
YouKneeK
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wee Free Men is the first book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. Calling it “young adult” might be a stretch since the protagonist is nine and I thought the story seemed suitable for a younger audience. On the other hand, as with many children protagonists, she probably behaved as if she were older than a typical nine-year-old. In any case, the story was entertaining enough for an adult to enjoy and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

The story is set in a small farming community, where w
Gavin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, ya-books
It is a just a tiny review for this one as sadly I did not enjoy my first try of one of Terry Pratchett's books. I did not gel with the writing style. The style was actually quite similar to that of Neil Gaiman's books and so unsurprisingly I had the same issues. The story itself was too ridiculous to take seriously and I felt like the characters were just inconsequential mouthpieces for the author to crack some jokes and offer a few witty insights on society. Now admittedly I liked the general ...more
José
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, discworld
Pueden leer esta y otras reseñas en mi blog: click aquí

Los Pequeños Hombres Libres es el primer libro de la saga juvenil de Mundodisco protagonizada por Tiffany Dolorido, una niña de nueve años que desea convertirse en bruja. Uno pensaría que aspirar a ser bruja no es un objetivo muy noble, pero como sucede con muchas cosas del universo de Pratchett, las brujas no son malas, sino que son incomprendidas por usar el sentido común. Desde el momento en que es presentada, Tiffany demuestra ser una
Ilenia Zodiaco
Che indicibile tenerezza!
Steven Harbin
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m presently about half way through reading this marvelous little book. People have been recommending Mr. Pratchett’s work to me for years, and I must say that I’m sorry I took so long to finally start one of his books. I did read Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch a while back, which he co-authored with Neil Gaiman, and that book was excellent, but I was going through my NG phase at the time, and moved on to several of Gaiman’s books after reading GO. In retrosp ...more
Carly
If you haven't read Terry Pratchett, you're missing out--he's one of the most humorous, creative, and profound fantasy writers I've come across. This book is a nice, self-contained story about a young girl, Tiffany Aching, who lives out in the countryside in Pratchett's fantasy world, the Discworld. The story itself is about faeries, but not exactly twinkly sparkly happy faeries.
Tiffany Aching is intensely curious and loves to both think and question everything around her, including the simple
Beverly
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Kim
From the review on my blog:
Pratchett takes all sorts of fairy tales and children's stories--including one of my faves, Peter Pan--and mashes them into his own tale about Tiffany, a nine-year-old witch in training. Tiffany is gutsy, smart (she's got First Sight and Second Thoughts; I need to develop both myself!), and ethical. In the same way I wanted to be Jo March when I first read Little Women, I can imagine any girl selecting Tiffany as a role model.

Pratchett never writes down to his reader;
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was marketed as a Discworld novel for 'younger readers,' but I
found the story and style to be no more (or less) juvenile than that
of any of Pratchett's other books. It's the 30th Discworld book, and
the first to feature the character Tiffany Aching (although i was
already familiar with her from reading 'Wintersmith' - I've never
tried to read Pratchett in order.)
Nine-year-old Tiffany's baby brother is kidnapped by the Queen of the
Elves - an antagonist who spreads winter where ever she goes. Th
Wastrel
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Pratchett's best-written novels so far: very precisely polished for the most part, and beautiful, elegaic flashbacks.
That polish is the novel's flaw as well as its virtue: it felt too controlled, too avuncular, and too simplistic. And for someone re-reading the entire cycle, rather than using this as a starting point, it felt rather too familiar, both in general outline and in terms of the number of recycled jokes.

Having said that, it was good enough to make me want to read the other Tiff
Minli
“Yes,” said a voice, and Tiffany realized that it was hers again. The anger rose up, joyfully. “Yes! I’m me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don’t understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That’s the kind of person I am!”

Tiffany Aching is flipping awesome. The witches are awesome. Terry Pratchett is awesome. And cheese is awesome.

I have to say, with a world as vast as Dis
Sam
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2016, ya
I love love love Terry Pratchett, but I had never picked up his YA series. After he passed, I had a chance to grab the very last one as a special edition which was an easy decision since it was the last Discworld book I'll ever buy; new, anyway. Whew I still don't like typing those words. =(

As always, Terry Pratchett wrote amazing characters. Tiffany is great. She's clever and confident; basically everything I wish young girls wanted to be rather than worrying about makeup and boys much too earl
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously a 4 star but upped it on a reread due to realising its true brilliance. Nac Mac feegle are a great concept and so well done. All around great fun .
And Tiffany is just great. A confident and hard working young girl who does difficult things because someone has to. Inspirational and a much better book role model than a lot of the simpering lovelorn idiots peppered throughout YA fiction.
Show Tiffany a glittery vampire she will most likely knock it out cold with her trusty frying pan bef
Play Book Tag: Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett 3 stars 5 22 Apr 19, 2018 07:29PM
Accents 53 308 Feb 27, 2017 09:24PM
Around the Year i...: The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett 8 25 Oct 23, 2016 05:37PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions of Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men 6 175 Jul 13, 2016 11:08PM
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Witches of Chiswick
  • The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Changeover

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” 1302 likes
“Witches are naturally nosy,” said Miss Tick, standing up. “Well, I must go. I hope we shall meet again. I will give you some free advice, though.”
“Will it cost me anything?”
“What? I just said it was free!” said Miss Tick.
“Yes, but my father said that free advice often turns out to be expensive,” said Tiffany.
Miss Tick sniffed. “You could say this advice is priceless,” she said, “Are you listening?”
“Yes,” said Tiffany.
“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“Yes?”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“Yes?”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“Yes?”
“...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”
561 likes