Start by marking “The Coherence of Theism” as Want to Read:
The Coherence of Theism

The Coherence of Theism

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This book investigates what it means, and whether it is coherent, to say that there is a God. The author concludes that, despite philosophical objections, the claims which religious believers make about God are generally coherent; and that although some important claims are coherent only if the words by which they are expressed are being used in stretched or analogical sen ...more
Published April 29th 1993 by Clarendon Press (first published December 29th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Coherence of Theism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coherence of Theism

Jay Michael
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is THE quintessential work in the philosophy of religion. I think this is where all philosophy, metaphysics and theology should begin.
Mack Hayden
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Very mixed feelings about this one. I've heard about Swinburne for years as one of the premier philosophers of religion. As a result, I guess I should've had more realistic expectations when approaching this book: namely, that it would be more dry and difficult (but not dull) to get through than I first anticipated. After all, this is not written as a popular, layperson's text so much as a contribution to the body of philosophical work read primarily by other people who've devoted their lives to ...more
Ben Holloway
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christian theism is, at least in part, a set of statements or propositions believers take to be true. The study of the coherence of Christian theism is the consideration of the coherence of that set of statements. It is not a study of whether or not those statements are true but whether or not if there is any explicit or implicit contradiction within or implied by that set of propositions. Swinburne argues that there is a set of propositions that are internally consistent and lays out what they ...more
Sam Eccleston
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit that I didn't finish this- when buying it I had rather misanticipated what it is about; it is a thorough study of the coherence (in the technical philosophical sense of the term) of the language of Theism. As such it is as thorough, rigorous and lucid as you would expect from Swinburne, but it isn't the book I wanted to read....
Latonya
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theism
Excellently written if not a bit difficult to digest. Definitely one to read more than once in order to understand it fully you aren't extremely experienced in philosophy.

This is Swinburne's first book in a trilogy on theism and it lays out various reasons why it is coherent to say that God exists and why it is coherent to make statements about God.
Zack
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Seems solid. A lot of it was hard to digest. Some was interesting. Some points were about things I'd never thought about, but were obviously real philosophic issues because he brought up the primary sources of whoever proposed the opposite view.
Jeffrey Backlin
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Advanced: the first of three work collection. Swinburne discusses the concept of God and its logical coherence. While I never quite agree with everything he says, I absolutely love his method and thinking.
Eric Black
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy, dislike
One of the most painful things I have endured. Swinburne's analytic philosophy leaves me absolutely cold and caring not a whit about his argument but praying fervently for God to be revealed.
Sheldon Mann
  • Systematic Theology, Vol 1
  • The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions
  • Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts
  • Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms
  • Has Science Found God?: The Latest Results in the Search for Purpose in the Universe
  • Ethics
  • الإشارات الإلهية
  • New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy
  • Life Itself: Its Origin and Nature
Richard G. Swinburne is an Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at the University of Oxford. Over the last 50 years Swinburne has been a very influential proponent of natural theology, that is, philosophical arguments for the existence of God. His philosophical contributions are primarily in philosophy of religion and philosophy of science. He aroused much discussion with his early work in the philoso ...more
More about Richard Swinburne

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99