Start by marking “The Art of Selfishness” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Art of Selfishness
Published June 2nd 1986 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Selfishness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Selfishness

Kurt Keefner
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
True or False: Ayn Rand’s The Virtue of Selfishness was the first book on egoism intended for a popular audience.

False. A quarter century earlier came The Art of Selfishness, a number one bestseller by psychiatrist David Seabury.

At times, Seabury sounds strikingly similar to Rand: “We have been left for centuries with only the echo of a workable philosophy. We have been given no true middle way between insipid spirituality and brute conquest: either act like a stained-glass saint or ape a tyrant
Ronald Wise
A collection of essays by a clinical psychologist in what was probably one of the earliest self-help books. What he calls "selfishness" is more like what we call "self-assertiveness" today, and the change in terms may have occurred because of the negative reactions he got to this book, especially from religious leaders. Much of the content is from interesting situations and changes reported by patients seen by Seabury and his colleagues.
Kimberly Aikens
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
And I quote, "The answer to the pressure of our days is one and simple: dare. Dare to live while life is passing. You'll never live otherwise. Set a limit on what you are willing to bear. Call this your adjustment marjin, your wall of personality. "They shall not pass" beyond that line beyond that line, no matter who or what they are.

That's what I took away from this book. Excellent read!!
Bubblebubbly
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. A bit dated so some users may find that at times it's not politically correct in speaking to the genders. David Seabury gives you a new perspective on 'selfishness'. If you don't like the word 'selfishness', substitute with "self-regard" or "filling your own cup so whatever you do or give comes from the heart"
Kay Aniza
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
sometimes we must think of ourselves just to avoid our kindness been manipulated by others.
This book give us the other side of the stories- different prespective..
Meg
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Written years ago...but still relevant.
Joanna
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Written in 1937 with much wisdom....The Art of Selfishness is a practical guide to contentment.
David
*_* 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 07:44AM
  • The Market for Liberty
  • The Ordeal of Change
  • Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Alva Edison
  • Space-time and beyond : toward an explanation of the unexplainable
  • Time Lord : Sir Sandford Fleming and the Creation of Standard Time
  • Mission
  • Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World
  • Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres
  • I, Michelangelo, Sculptor
  • Richard Feynman: A Life in Science
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • Conversations about the End of Time
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • The World of Mathematics