Start by marking “The Art of Selfishness” as Want to Read:
The Art of Selfishness

The Art of Selfishness

Product Details Paperback Publisher: Pocket (July 3, 1981) Language: English
Published June 2nd 1986 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Selfishness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Selfishness

Start your review of The Art of Selfishness
Kurt Keefner
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
True or False: Ayn Rand’s The Virtue of Selfishness was the first book on egoism intended for a popular audience.

False. A quarter century earlier came The Art of Selfishness, a number one bestseller by psychiatrist David Seabury.

At times, Seabury sounds strikingly similar to Rand: “We have been left for centuries with only the echo of a workable philosophy. We have been given no true middle way between insipid spirituality and brute conquest: either act like a stained-gla
Kimberly Aikens
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
And I quote, "The answer to the pressure of our days is one and simple: dare. Dare to live while life is passing. You'll never live otherwise. Set a limit on what you are willing to bear. Call this your adjustment marjin, your wall of personality. "They shall not pass" beyond that line beyond that line, no matter who or what they are.

That's what I took away from this book. Excellent read!!
Ronald Wise
A collection of essays by a clinical psychologist in what was probably one of the earliest self-help books. What he calls "selfishness" is more like what we call "self-assertiveness" today, and the change in terms may have occurred because of the negative reactions he got to this book, especially from religious leaders. Much of the content is from interesting situations and changes reported by patients seen by Seabury and his colleagues.
Bella
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finally decided to abort seeing the book through about halfway. I have found my mood took a dip to the negative as a result of the focus on the dark side of lives. I have been learning about self-love and have made solid progress in the subject both intellectually and on a practical level, and I perused this book at the recommendation of a book of the same subject and I went in with a lucid appreciation of the definition of the word “selfish” and its ready miscomprehension in common parlance. ...more
Rania
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: woman, 2019-read
What a book ?! I have taken so many notes from it.
Picture of its quotes and saved in my mobile. I need to re-read it again, to come back to it, every now and then.
Bubblebubbly
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. A bit dated so some users may find that at times it's not politically correct in speaking to the genders. David Seabury gives you a new perspective on 'selfishness'. If you don't like the word 'selfishness', substitute with "self-regard" or "filling your own cup so whatever you do or give comes from the heart"
Kay Aniza
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
sometimes we must think of ourselves just to avoid our kindness been manipulated by others.
This book give us the other side of the stories- different prespective..
Meg
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Written years ago...but still relevant.
Joanna
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Written in 1937 with much wisdom....The Art of Selfishness is a practical guide to contentment.
David
« previous 1 3 4 next »
*_* 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 07:44AM

• The Ordeal of Change
  • The Market for Liberty
  • Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship
  • Mission
  • Space-time and beyond : toward an explanation of the unexplainable
  • Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Alva Edison
  • Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres
  • Conversations about the End of Time
  • Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World
  • The Harrad Experiment
  • The World of Mathematics: A Four-Volume Set
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • Richard Feynman: A Life in Science
  • Beethoven's Letters
  • Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe
  • Wide as the Waters: The Story of the English Bible and the Revolution it Inspired
  • The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett & George Soros