Start by marking “The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich” as Want to Read:
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  89,472 Ratings  ·  4,358 Reviews
More than 100 pages of new, cutting-edge content.
Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living
Published December 15th 2009 by Harmony (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The 4-Hour Workweek, please sign up.

Katkov Iurii If you don't like Tim's style of writing, I'd recommend you to still read the book - the density of high-quality ideas in it is incredible. I also…moreIf you don't like Tim's style of writing, I'd recommend you to still read the book - the density of high-quality ideas in it is incredible. I also don't see why the tools he proposes won't work for black lesbian women. Also, you're from the US, which make his recipes even more applicable, than for Ukraine for example.

If it's absolutely disgusting - read the books that he recommends, they're written in different style. (less)
Cora No but I run my own business (its a Dinner Theater so its not mobile) and so far it has cut me spending upwards of 60 hours a week to a max of 20…moreNo but I run my own business (its a Dinner Theater so its not mobile) and so far it has cut me spending upwards of 60 hours a week to a max of 20 (with a rare 30 hour week). I've returned to school with my extra time to learn more skills (I already have a writing and communications degree). Also, there are other types of work you can do with this lifestyle, writing is one of them. You may still have to put in 20-40 hours, but you can travel and work from other locations, which is nice if you are a bit of a nomad like myself.(less)

Todd N
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Ferriss spoke at a management meeting last week where I work. A few of the managers came back pretty impressed, so I cadged a copy off of a manager and skimmed/read it one sitting Friday night.

The effect of this book is like being trapped in a room with a manic-depressive during the manic part of his cycle. Imagine a cross between Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys and a late-night infomercial. Then add a dash of narcissistic personality disorder to get an idea of the tone of this book.

This book is
Jonathan El-Bizri
EDIT: I've left my original opinion below. However, as time has passed, I don't really think I can recommend this book as anything but entertainment. Anything useful has been written elsewhere, better, and by people who aren't lying to you.
-----

I hesitantly recomend this book. The reasons why are towards the end of the review.

The douchebaggery and straight up disengenuity espoused almost drips off the pages: quite remarkable even in the self-help, think-outside-the-box, start-your-own-business g
Emma
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a desperate wage slave who has no picture of how things could be different for them
At first I thought this was the bee's knees, toes, and ankles. But as I read further I began to realize that this guy "wins" by cheating, "delegates" by leaving everything in the hands of his $5/hour personal assistant in India, and sells books by promising to tell you how to get rich, and delivers a book on how to get everyone around you to be really annoyed with you for shirking any responsibility.

He encourages you to lease expensive cars so you can feel like you are living the "life of your
Craig
Oct 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated, business
Instead of focusing on this book's lame contents (it was really bad) I decided to share my review of how it was otherwise used in the hopes that it might inspire others.

First of all, I found the book's paper a little rough in texture. This precluded it from being used in the outhouse or camping, if you know what I mean. The raspy paper DID, however, have just the right stuff to be 'ripped and rolled' into some really effective starter wicks in the old fireplace. Went up like a charm and led to a
Ryan
May 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dilbert, with love from Friedrich Nietzsche.
Recommended to Ryan by: I get all my picks from Oprah.
Let ME save YOU a few hours.

1. You're a game changer and a rule breaker.
2. Quit checking your fucking email and get off the computer. No, seriously. Go.
3. Outsource everything--even your soul. It's all about you.
4. Retire, vacation, go mobile.
5. Tim Ferriss is an ass.

Questions?
Ryan: Hey Tim, I work in a pickle factory in Poland and have a minimal education, how do I make the above program work for me?

Tim: *head explodes*

Seriously, some simple ideas are in here that can probably help you get thi
Maria Andreu
A few weeks ago in NYC, I sat with two of the smartest people I know at a cool brunch.

"But explain it to me," I said. "Just what is it about the 4-Hour Work Week that we haven't already seen?" Having a background in a "work-smarter-not-harder" industry (the coaching industry), what I'd heard about 4HWW had not impressed me as anything particularly fresh and new.

"Well," said one friend, "It's just never all been put in a book like this before."

"Okay." That didn't sound so compelling to me.

"Well,"
David Sasaki
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Screen Shot 2013 03 17 at 11 59 AM

I don't know how else to put it. Timothy Ferris is a douche. There is, in fact, an entire genre of blog literature that explains why Timothy Ferriss is a douche. Even New York Times columnist Frank Bruni got in on the action.

Since I already heard Ferriss' insecure egocentricity on full display during his Long Now talk, I came to this book expecting a self-obsessed hustler to peddle his "you-too-can-be-like-me" vision. But I still wanted to read the book. I wanted to understand why it became a b
Rasmus
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scumbags.
Although mr. Ferriss has some good ideas and goals, there is one word that describes why, I am not a fan of this book: Scumbaggery.

While I totally agree with Tim Ferriss, when he says that most meetings are useless and should be avoided, I cannot agree with his recommendation of making up excuses and lies, in order to leave early or not show up. This is just one example of behavior recommended in this book, and it quite frankly disgusts me.

I am all for automating the dull aspects of my life, tak
Otis Chandler
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: free thinkers, entrepreneurs, graham myhre
Recommended to Otis by: kareem
I found this book on a recommendation from a good friend, and if it wasn't for that I might have put it down right away, because the tone is very markety, and the author makes a lot of big claims with little substance.

That being said, the author must be a smart guy because there is a lot of good stuff in this book.

Big Takeaways
1. Most of us have the idea that we are supposed to work until we are 60, then retire and live the good life. Tim does a great job pointing out how backwards that idea is,
Kara
Aug 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate their lives
I just started this book, and I can't even finish it. Aside from the author grating on my last nerve with each page turn, I find his outlook on life to be overly fantastical. This book appeals to people who are working in dead end jobs that are hellish to say the least, and offers a way out to people who have lost hope. But I'll tell you something. If making a ton of money, working a 4-hour work week, and living like a millionaire were easy, everyone would do it. The fact that he's one of FEW th ...more
Tim Ferriss Book ...: The Tim Ferriss way of life... 1 30 Sep 02, 2016 01:35AM
Tim Ferriss Book ...: Do you buy into the Tim Ferriss way of life? 1 16 Sep 02, 2016 01:25AM
What is this? 3 136 Oct 02, 2015 02:21PM
Achieving the life style 6 196 Dec 12, 2014 11:50PM
The DeFranco Book...: 4 hour work week! 19 197 Mar 23, 2013 08:25PM
The DeFranco Book...: I'm confused. 14 294 Mar 16, 2013 09:47PM
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Power Of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential
Tim Ferriss is author of three #1 NYT/WSJ bestsellers: The 4-Hour Workweek, The 4-Hour Body, and The 4-Hour Chef. He is also a start-up advisor specializing in positioning, PR, and marketing (Uber, Evernote, etc.). When not damaging his body with abusive sports, he enjoys chocolate, bear claws, and Japanese animation.
More about Timothy Ferriss...
“For all of the most important things, the timing always sucks. Waiting for a good time to quit your job? The stars will never align and the traffic lights of life will never all be green at the same time. The universe doesn't conspire against you, but it doesn't go out of its way to line up the pins either. Conditions are never perfect. "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. Pro and con lists are just as bad. If it's important to you and you want to do it "eventually," just do it and correct course along the way.” 202 likes
“What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.” 181 likes