Start by marking “Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?” as Want to Read:
Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?

Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?

In this searingly honest memoir, Jane Haynes recalls to her psychotherapist her extraordinary story. Having overcome a strange childhood overshadowed by her mother's absence and father's descent into madness, the real diagnosis of which her family concealed, she attempts, vividly but without sentimentality, to understand the construction of her own life.

Now a p
Paperback
Published 2009 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?

Start your review of Who Is It That Can Tell Me Who I Am?
Ted Feder
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Briiliant, Brilliant, Brilliant, touching - a must-read for pscyhologists, psychiatrists and for anyone who is interested in the vulnerability and at the same time the resilience of the human being.
Shawna Sparrow
I would have likely given this book 3 stars if the whole thing had been like the second half, in which Jane Haynes discusses various experiences with her therapy patients. The first half of the book is basically a letter to her deceased analyst. I felt like first half was too personal for an outsider to read about. Although Haynes' describes herself as a "wounded healer", her obsessive attachment to her analyst also made me question her professionalism as a therapist. When discussing her own pat ...more
Sarahc Caflisch
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I got this sent to me used, from a bookseller in Florida, who acquired it from the UK. The pages are pretty dingy and the book smells very strongly of incense or patchouli oil. Inside the book was a lovely hand printed greeting card that said, I think, in very messy writing, "Wishing you a Happy Birthday. Love, Ma X."

All of this is adding considerably to the enjoyment and mystery of reading this book. All the sights, smells, and maternal communications add to the feeling of being in another's s
Sue
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book, with true accounts of psychotherapy sessions set in the UK. Starts with some of the author's own therapy, and her relationship with her therapist. The second half describes some of her own clients, once she herself had become a qualified psychotherapist.

Gives a good insight into how the therapeutic process can work over many sessions. Also questions some of the traditional principles and taboos. Fairly complex in places - I couldn't read a lot at one sitting, so it's taken a c
Anna Sternberg
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simply loved it. Really fascinating read with an interesting forward by Hilary Mantell. I am particularly interested in writers who are also psychotherapists and this book satisfies my interest. highly recommend it.
Athena
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-autobio
This book needs a lot of editing.
Jen
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Couldn't even finish it. Bored me to tears.
Joe Wright
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book goes over the career of the author. There's some interesting stories and she goes into her opinion on therapy.

Not bad either if you are looking to get some background on Jung and Freud.
Kate
Apr 10, 2016
Tony
Aug 27, 2013

• Three Women
  • It's Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions, and Connect to Your Authentic Self
  • Can You See Me?