Start by marking “It” as Want to Read:
It

It

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  710,714 ratings  ·  22,484 reviews
Derry: a small city in Maine, a place as hauntingly familiar as your own home town. Only in Derry the haunting is real...

It began for the Losers on a day in June of 1958, the day school let out for the summer. That was the day Henry Bowers carved the first letter of his name on Ben Hanscom's belly and chased him into the Barrens, the day Henry and his Neanderthal friends
Published September 15th 1986 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about It, please sign up.
Lindsey Albright While I love the book, it's easily one of my favorites, if you aren't enjoying it, don't beat yourself up about not finishing it. Someone far more…moreWhile I love the book, it's easily one of my favorites, if you aren't enjoying it, don't beat yourself up about not finishing it. Someone far more intelligent than I once told me that he didn't bother with a book if it didn't capture his interest by the first 50 pages. Life's too short to suffer through books you don't enjoy. If it's not for you, there's no shame in that.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Julie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  710,714 ratings  ·  22,484 reviews

Start your review of It
Maciek
The most important things are the hardest things to say, because words diminish them...

Some time ago the wise bald (or white) heads stationed at various universities came to an agreement that a literary form, commonly known as the novel, is dead - fewer and fewer works of any significance are written each year. Of course, one must understand the requirements the wise gentlemen expect of a novel of worth: it would be good if the writer would include some "aesthetic dignity" by including as much
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Some parts were truly creepy at first and initially, as often happens with King, I couldn't put it down. But then, as often happens with King, it hits a brick wall and becomes so over-long and has so many unnecessary elements that get in the way of the main story that it becomes a bloated, endless chore to finish. People often say they hate the ending of this book...I did not hate it or love it. I had checked out at that point and simply wanted it to be over no matter who lived or died or ...more
Zoë
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire book in one day during my 24-hour readathon, #readathonbyzoe! Watch the vlog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Vcd...
I highly enjoy Stephen King's descriptive writing style! I was on the edge of my seat for the majority of the novel, and I definitely did not sleep well the following night!
However, I hate his constant use of slurs against black, Jewish, and gay characters. I understand that he is using them as a tool to highlight the real horrors in our everyday lives,
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm not easily scared these days. As a grown woman, the only thing that brings the feeling of dread into my heart is the constant pinging of new work emails requiring my attention when I'm at home, but there was a time when I was a shy, delicate, sweet little girl who was scared of my own shadow.

Proof: not exactly the terror you see haunting the hallowed halls of Goodreads handing out 1 stars like they're candy these days.

It wasn't until I was around 20 that I outgrew my fear of scary creatures
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”It wasn’t make-up the clown was wearing. Nor was the clown simply swaddled in a bunch of bandages. There were bandages, most of them around its neck and wrists, blowing back in the wind, but Ben could see the clown’s face clearly. It was deeply lined, the skin a parchment map of wrinkles, tattered cheeks, arid flesh. The skin of its forehead was split but bloodless. Dead lips grinned back from a maw in which teeth leaned like tombstones. Its gums were pitted and black. Ben could see no eyes, ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Listened to the audio this time and it was awesome The narrator is Steven Weber and he did a great job!

Hello, welcome to Derry.. I'm Pennywise the Clown and at some point, especially if your a kid, I will eat your face off! Have a nice day!

The first time I read this book was in the 6th grade and I had forgotten how good it was! I loved the movie as well, but the book is so much better!

I love how Mr. King goes back and forth from when the friends were kids and to them as adults and what they do
Chelsea Humphrey
Headed to see Ch. 2 tonight! Anyone else seen it yet?

***************

It is finished.

Why yes, I did just complete my longest read to date. I simultaneously feel relieved and accomplished, drained and fulfilled. There are few authors who can successfully deliver such conflicting feelings, which is why he's one of the most well known names in the fiction world. I feel as if I could write an entire book about this tender and terrifying "coming of age" tale, but I also feel as if all the umph has left
Teodora
5/5

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf

It took me SO long to finish this monster book that I’ve been carrying around in my backpack for the past six months in every single underground or train ride, but I finally DID IT! I FINISHED IT, YAY ME.

Stephen King never stops to amaze me with his brilliant mind and fabulous stories. I feel like his mind is always restless, always in a good mood to find the worst ways possible to scare the soul out of me.

The King of Horror Stephen King is. No
Colleen Hoover
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck you, Stephen King. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US?

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Throughout the book, I was going to give it 4 stars. It was suspenseful, there was a sense of dread with some truly scary scenes. King is very good at describing how children would think and make us feel their fears. It was really long with A LOT of descriptions but it was still very enjoyable.

The ending totally ruined it for me...

Review: https://youtu.be/TkxckLFcKYE

(view spoiler)
Matthew
Re-read update - April 2017:

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts"

I find it appropriate that I first read this between the ages of 12 and 15 and now I re-read at 39. This is pretty close to the ages of the characters past and present in this book. That was not intentional, but pretty cool!

I didn't remember much more than the basics after all these years, but even with that, my original review below stands.

What I will add is that this book is much more dark,
Tucker
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every living being (Bacteria, humans, etc. We don't discriminate here.)
Recommended to Tucker by: Shannara Petty
”For 27 years, I dreamt of you. I missed you. I craved you.”
-Pennywise, IT

Last night, I watched IT: Chapter 2. And holy sh*t, you guys. I did not expect the horror, sadness and raw emotion this movie gave me. I have so many thoughts and feelings to share so this review might will definitely be an unorganized blob of thoughts. It will still be fun, though.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE REVIEW HEAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR IT: CHAPTER 2! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

[Art by 800LBProductions]

I’d like to
Justin Tate
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got my first copy of IT when I was 10 years old. The checkout counter loomed above me and the cashier said "You don't want to read this." I assured her I did and she reluctantly let me purchase it. I'd already seen the mini series with Tim Curry and was fully prepared for scares after devouring dozens of Goosebumps and Fear Streets. When I got home, I marveled at possessing a book of such girth.

Mom was not happy with my reading selection in the same way she wans't happy with me reading
Alejandro
You can't be clowning about IT!!!

THOSE TERRIFYING CLOWNS

It was easier to be brave when you were someone else.

It's kinda..."funny" how such characters, the clowns, that they are supposed to make us laugh, and not matter that, you can find just too much examples of "evil clowns", many from fantasy but even at least one from horrific reality, that you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley...or any place at all!!!

The Joker, Stitches, Homie from The Simpsons, Punchinello from Dean Koontz's Life
Luca Ambrosino
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English (It) / Italiano

«The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain»

It is an horror novel. The bowels of Derry, Maine, cyclically regurgitate every 27 years a dark and abject entity, infecting the city with hate, feeding on the fear of people (or directly some people flesh-and-blood).

It is an adventure novel. Seven clumsy kids band

ALet
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was a ride!

This is a huge book, but if you consider to read it, it is definitely worth your time.
Of course, it is very well written with a lot of description, which was sometimes hard to go through, but it didn’t ruin the experience. The story itself is layered and complex and everything happens for a reason and that is very important for a book like this to have that. It is definitely an interesting and captivating story.

Two stories (timelines) compliment each other and it isn’t hard to
Stepheny

Let me take you all on a tour, kids. We’re going to everyone’s favorite place- Derry, Maine! We’re going to do some sight-seeing while I talk about the book that is my absolute hands-down #1 book of ALL TIME. And no, it is NOT Harry Potter! Shocking, I know! (That always surprises people.) Anyway, my name is Annie Wilkes Stepheny and I’ll be your tour guide!

We’re going to go where it all begins- the most infamous storm drain in all the lands. This is the storm drain where Pennywise offers little
Pouting Always
Derry, Maine seems like any other small town in the US except for its dark history. Death and disappearances are the norm and every 27 years they peak as more and more children are killed. When Bill's brother Georgie is killed by It, the mysterious thing behind Derry's darkness, Bill sets out to find it. Bill becomes part of a group of other children, all who have had run ins with It and together they get rid of It. They swear an oath to return to Derry if It ever comes back and starts killing ...more
Anne
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Jill
Shelves: horror
God. This book.
I can't believe I've never reviewed IT.

description

Ok, I read this back in high school with my best friend, and it scared the shit out of both of us. I still have a small scar on my leg from when we thought we saw Pennywise's likeness burned into the side of her dad's old farmhouse, and we both took off running through what was in all likelihood, a condemned building.
She was faster, I was clumsier.

description

I plowed into an old nail that was sticking out of the wall and ripped a hole in my leg in
Raeleen Lemay
WHAT A RIDE.

First off, I'd like to start out by saying I DON'T NORMALLY LIKE STEPHEN KING. If you look at the other books I've read so far (Carrie, The Shining, The Gunslinger, and Different Seasons), they have all been rated 3 stars or less. Yet somehow, this book really spoke to me. I will also say that the reason I picked this up in the first place was because of the new movie adaptation, which was SUPER GREAT, but also super different from the book in many ways. I'm so glad I decided to pick
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Your hair is winter fire,
January embers
My heart burns there, too."

Evil resides in Derry, Maine. Whether that is in the form of Pennywise the Dancing Clown, a werewolf or a leper, it pulses through the heart of Derry and has done for many years. IT focuses on a group of children, the Loser's Club, as they try to overcome evil and face their biggest fears in order to do so.

Excuse me while I curl up into a ball and bawl my eyes out... IT was my first King and it really was what got me hooked onto
Hannah Greendale
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, mystery, literary

It is 1958 in the small town of Derry, Maine and several children have been found murdered. Bill Denbrough and his six best friends believe the murders are linked to something that lurks beneath their home town – something that crawled from their nightmares and has taken form in the shadowed recesses of the sewers. Driven by forces unseen, Bill and his friends sense they have what it takes to stop the
Kai
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2017
“Maybe there aren't any such things as good friends or bad friends - maybe there are just friends, people who stand by you when you're hurt and who help you feel not so lonely.”

1200 pages are long. Or more like: looooong. So long that I expected more from it. Especially because Stephen King wrote it. I believe that this book would have been a lot better if you had cut out 200 pages or more. Let me tell you why:
The story set up is what basically makes this novel so long. The real deal only
jessica
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
with a deep sigh, she closes the book and steals a glance at the clock. its barely 10pm and she knows its already beginning.

she can feel it in the way her body tenses at every noise that threatens the peaceful quiet. its in the way her heart skips a beat at every floating movement she swears she sees, just beyond her periphery. its the onset of fear.

how silly she is for reading a horror book at such an hour! ‘you knew this would happen, with your overactive imagination,’ she scolds herself.

her
JV (semi-hiatus)
From the tenebrous depths of the abyss, comes an unimaginable tale of perennial terror that is feverish, jarring, and insidious. With meandering prose and vivid descriptions, King dazzles, stupefies, and petrifies readers down to their core by invoking their atavistic fears, transmogrifying it, and assuming the shape of the thing that one is most afraid of.
"The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years — if it ever did end — began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made
Lisa
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirty some odd years after my first reading of this book and "It" is still one of the best stories ever told. I've read this book 15 to 20 times, and every time I think it's probably going to be so out dated that I'll never read it again. Not true. If you can read this wondrous tale and not be reminded of the best times of your childhood and the best friends ever, then you've got a heart of stone. It is scary, of that there's no doubt, but mostly it's just magical. With every new reading I ...more
Paul O'Neill
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just finished reading this for the second time and man, what a bloomin’ excellent book. I go into more detail in my original review two years ago below but here are a few additional thoughts from my reading this time around:

This book will always hold a special place in my heart, it was what I was reading when my son was born two years ago. Probably not the best book for such an occasion but, hey-ho, the memories are fond and this book was part of it.

Is this King’s best work? I’m not sure.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Much like the titular monster that lurks within its pages, this book is many things. It's terrifying, it's sweet, it's disturbing, it's sad. But most of all, It is amazing!

The town of Derry is haunted by an evil with thousands of faces. With the entire town caught in the horrible creature's grasp, some of the residents are forced to confront their greatest nightmares, while others are forced to become the nightmares! Many years ago, a group of seven outcast children believed they had discovered
Nick
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this freaked me out so bad and it is only the beginning of October
Kemper
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Only Stephen King could write an eleven hundred page book about the innocence and wonder of childhood, and then kick it off with a six-year-old boy getting his arm ripped off by a clown.

Derry, Maine, in 1958 is a bad place to be if you’re a kid. Child disappearances and murders are occurring with astonishing regularity, and while the adults set curfews and hunt for maniacs a group of eleven-year-old outcasts know the truth - a supernatural entity has been terrorizing and killing the children of

• Dracula
  • The Running Man
  • The Exorcist
  • The Amityville Horror
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Watchers
  • The Long Walk
  • Thinner
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Omen
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • The Bachman Books
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
181 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“We lie best when we lie to ourselves.” 1290 likes
“Your hair is winter fire
January embers
My heart burns there, too.”
1095 likes