Start by marking “It” as Want to Read:
It

It

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  908,913 ratings  ·  28,811 reviews
Derry: a small city in Maine, a place as hauntingly familiar as your own home town. Only in Derry the haunting is real...

It began for the Losers on a day in June of 1958, the day school let out for the summer. That was the day Henry Bowers carved the first letter of his name on Ben Hanscom's belly and chased him into the Barrens, the day Henry and his Neanderthal friends b
Published September 15th 1986 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about It, please sign up.
Lindsey Albright While I love the book, it's easily one of my favorites, if you aren't enjoying it, don't beat yourself up about not finishing it. Someone far more int…moreWhile I love the book, it's easily one of my favorites, if you aren't enjoying it, don't beat yourself up about not finishing it. Someone far more intelligent than I once told me that he didn't bother with a book if it didn't capture his interest by the first 50 pages. Life's too short to suffer through books you don't enjoy. If it's not for you, there's no shame in that.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Julie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  908,913 ratings  ·  28,811 reviews

Start your review of It
Maciek
The most important things are the hardest things to say, because words diminish them...

Some time ago the wise bald (or white) heads stationed at various universities came to an agreement that a literary form, commonly known as the novel, is dead - fewer and fewer works of any significance are written each year. Of course, one must understand the requirements the wise gentlemen expect of a novel of worth: it would be good if the writer would include some "aesthetic dignity" by including as much a
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Some parts were truly creepy at first and initially, as often happens with King, I couldn't put it down. But then, as often happens with King, it hits a brick wall and becomes so over-long and has so many unnecessary elements that get in the way of the main story that it becomes a bloated, endless chore to finish. People often say they hate the ending of this book...I did not hate it or love it. I had checked out at that point and simply wanted it to be over no matter who lived or died or whethe ...more
 Teodora
5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

It took me SO long to finish this monster book that I’ve been carrying around in my backpack for the past six months in every single underground or train ride, but I finally DID IT! I FINISHED IT, YAY ME.

Stephen King never stops to amaze me with his brilliant mind and fabulous stories. I feel like his mind is always restless, always in a good mood to find the worst ways possible to scare the soul out of me.

The King of Horror Stephen King is. No
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm not easily scared these days. As a grown woman, the only thing that brings the feeling of dread into my heart is the constant pinging of new work emails requiring my attention when I'm at home, but there was a time when I was a shy, delicate, sweet little girl who was scared of my own shadow.

Proof: not exactly the terror you see haunting the hallowed halls of Goodreads handing out 1 stars like they're candy these days.

It wasn't until I was around 20 that I outgrew my fear of scary creatures
NReads
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the only clown here is me reading thick books in the exam session
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”It wasn’t make-up the clown was wearing. Nor was the clown simply swaddled in a bunch of bandages. There were bandages, most of them around its neck and wrists, blowing back in the wind, but Ben could see the clown’s face clearly. It was deeply lined, the skin a parchment map of wrinkles, tattered cheeks, arid flesh. The skin of its forehead was split but bloodless. Dead lips grinned back from a maw in which teeth leaned like tombstones. Its gums were pitted and black. Ben could see no eyes, bu ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US today 9/21/21

Listened to the audio this time and it was awesome The narrator is Steven Weber and he did a great job!

Hello, welcome to Derry.. I'm Pennywise the Clown and at some point, especially if your a kid, I will eat your face off! Have a nice day!

The first time I read this book was in the 6th grade and I had forgotten how good it was! I loved the movie as well, but the book is so much better!

I love how Mr. King goes back and forth from when the friends were kids a
Colleen Hoover
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck you, Stephen King. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US?

Chelsea Humphrey
Headed to see Ch. 2 tonight! Anyone else seen it yet?

***************

It is finished.

Why yes, I did just complete my longest read to date. I simultaneously feel relieved and accomplished, drained and fulfilled. There are few authors who can successfully deliver such conflicting feelings, which is why he's one of the most well known names in the fiction world. I feel as if I could write an entire book about this tender and terrifying "coming of age" tale, but I also feel as if all the umph has left
Mario the lone bookwolf
It´s not as if it wasn´t just an old Lovecraftian big ones cosmic horror consuming the flesh of mind opened, quirky, annoying (thanks for that in this case), kids but there is so much more sociocultural evolution, big history, the interconnection between childhood trauma and adult issues, banality of evil, small town horrors, and hidden depths in this epic world literature supernova overkill. But let´s look at its´ parts, vivisecting it while it´s still alive, begging, and screaming, one after t ...more
Justin Tate
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got my first copy of IT when I was 10 years old. The checkout counter loomed above me and the cashier said "You don't want to read this." I assured her I did and she reluctantly let me purchase it. I'd already seen the mini series with Tim Curry and was fully prepared for scares after devouring dozens of Goosebumps and Fear Streets. When I got home, I marveled at possessing a book of such girth.

Mom was not happy with my reading selection in the same way she wans't happy with me reading Goosebu
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Throughout the book, I was going to give it 4 stars. It was suspenseful, there was a sense of dread with some truly scary scenes. King is very good at describing how children would think and make us feel their fears. It was really long with A LOT of descriptions but it was still very enjoyable.

The ending totally ruined it for me...

Review: https://youtu.be/TkxckLFcKYE

(view spoiler)
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every living being (Bacteria, humans, etc. We don't discriminate here.)
Recommended to Tucker by: Shannara
”For 27 years, I dreamt of you. I missed you. I craved you.”
-Pennywise, IT

Last night, I watched IT: Chapter 2. And holy sh*t, you guys. I did not expect the horror, sadness and raw emotion this movie gave me. I have so many thoughts and feelings to share so this review might will definitely be an unorganized blob of thoughts. It will still be fun, though.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE REVIEW HEAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR IT: CHAPTER 2! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

[Art by 800LBProductions]

I’d
Matthew
Re-read update - April 2017:

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts"

I find it appropriate that I first read this between the ages of 12 and 15 and now I re-read at 39. This is pretty close to the ages of the characters past and present in this book. That was not intentional, but pretty cool!

I didn't remember much more than the basics after all these years, but even with that, my original review below stands.

What I will add is that this book is much more dark,
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Your hair is winter fire,
January embers
My heart burns there, too."

Evil resides in Derry, Maine. Whether that is in the form of Pennywise the Dancing Clown, a werewolf or a leper, it pulses through the heart of Derry and has done for many years. IT focuses on a group of children, the Loser's Club, as they try to overcome evil and face their biggest fears in order to do so.

Excuse me while I curl up into a ball and bawl my eyes out... IT was my first King and it really was what got me hooked onto
Always Pouting
Derry, Maine seems like any other small town in the US except for its dark history. Death and disappearances are the norm and every 27 years they peak as more and more children are killed. When Bill's brother Georgie is killed by It, the mysterious thing behind Derry's darkness, Bill sets out to find it. Bill becomes part of a group of other children, all who have had run ins with It and together they get rid of It. They swear an oath to return to Derry if It ever comes back and starts killing a ...more
Anne
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Jill
Shelves: horror
God. This book.
I can't believe I've never reviewed IT.

description

Ok, I read this back in high school with my best friend, and it scared the shit out of both of us. I still have a small scar on my leg from when we thought we saw Pennywise's likeness burned into the side of her dad's old farmhouse, and we both took off running through what was in all likelihood, a condemned building.
She was faster, I was clumsier.

description

I plowed into an old nail that was sticking out of the wall and ripped a hole in my leg in a
ALet
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
★★★★★ /5

This was a ride!

This is a huge book, but if you consider to read it, it is definitely worth your time.
Of course, it is very well written with a lot of description, which was sometimes hard to go through, but it didn’t ruin the experience. The story itself is layered and complex and everything happens for a reason and that is very important for a book like this to have that. It is definitely an interesting and captivating story.

Two stories (timelines) compliment each other and it isn’t ha
Alejandro
You can't be clowning about IT!!!

THOSE TERRIFYING CLOWNS

It was easier to be brave when you were someone else.

It's kinda..."funny" how such characters, the clowns, that they are supposed to make us laugh, and not matter that, you can find just too much examples of "evil clowns", many from fantasy but even at least one from horrific reality, that you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley...or any place at all!!!

The Joker, Stitches, Homie from The Simpsons, Punchinello from Dean Koontz's Li
Stepheny

Let me take you all on a tour, kids. We’re going to everyone’s favorite place- Derry, Maine! We’re going to do some sight-seeing while I talk about the book that is my absolute hands-down #1 book of ALL TIME. And no, it is NOT Harry Potter! Shocking, I know! (That always surprises people.) Anyway, my name is Annie Wilkes Stepheny and I’ll be your tour guide!

We’re going to go where it all begins- the most infamous storm drain in all the lands. This is the storm drain where Pennywise offers little
Baba
A book that I consider a modern classic of the horror genre; a book in 2017 that went on to became a part of our global culture as a result of the latest movie version. Seven children spend a terrifying summer together in their home town of Derry, a summer that was devastating to their lives and their community, yet also supposedly completely unforgettable - yet nearly all of them forgot!

27 years later, having left Derry and that entire summer's memories behind, they start feeling the call to re
Luca Ambrosino
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English (It) / Italiano

«The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain»

It is an horror novel. The bowels of Derry, Maine, cyclically regurgitate every 27 years a dark and abject entity, infecting the city with hate, feeding on the fear of people (or directly some people flesh-and-blood).

It is an adventure novel. Seven clumsy kids band tog

Kai
May 03, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
“Maybe there aren't any such things as good friends or bad friends - maybe there are just friends, people who stand by you when you're hurt and who help you feel not so lonely.”

1200 pages are long. Or more like: looooong. So long that I expected more from it. Especially because Stephen King wrote it. I believe that this book would have been a lot better if you had cut out 200 pages or more. Let me tell you why:
The story set up is what basically makes this novel so long. The real deal only happen
Nataliya
"Maybe there aren't any such things as good friends or bad friends - maybe there are just friends, people who stand by you when you're hurt and who help you feel not so lonely. Maybe they're always worth being scared for, and hoping for, and living for. Maybe worth dying for too, if that's what has to be. No good friends. No bad friends. Only people you want, need to be with; people who build their houses in your heart."

I first came across IT more than two decades ago, just a few years older
jessica
with a deep sigh, she closes the book and steals a glance at the clock. its barely 10pm and she knows its already beginning.

she can feel it in the way her body tenses at every noise that threatens the peaceful quiet. its in the way her heart skips a beat at every floating movement she swears she sees, just beyond her periphery. its the onset of fear.

how silly she is for reading a horror book at such an hour! ‘you knew this would happen, with your overactive imagination,’ she scolds herself.

her
Hannah Greendale

It is 1958 in the small town of Derry, Maine and several children have been found murdered. Bill Denbrough and his six best friends believe the murders are linked to something that lurks beneath their home town – something that crawled from their nightmares and has taken form in the shadowed recesses of the sewers. Driven by forces unseen, Bill and his friends sense they have what it takes to stop the monste
megs_bookrack
This terrifying classic has officially entered my Top 5 King list!!! I'm so happy that I finally faced my fears and read It!

This book is amazing. It took me just under a month to read, but it was absolutely worth it. I'm so in love with this.

That's it. That's my full review. I will read it again someday and maybe I will be able to leave further thoughts at that time.

Right now, my mind is blown and my heart is happy!

Original:

I have avoided this book my entire life. Not because it is over 1,000-pa
Ahmad Sharabiani
It, Stephen King

It is a 1986 horror novel, by American author Stephen King.

It was his 22nd book, and his 18th novel written under his own name.

The story follows the exploits of seven children as they are terrorized by an eponymous being, which exploits the fears and phobias of its victims in order to disguise itself while hunting its prey. "It" primarily appears in the form of a clown in order to attract its preferred prey of young children.

The novel is told through narratives alternating betw
JV (semi-hiatus)
From the tenebrous depths of the abyss, comes an unimaginable tale of perennial terror that is feverish, jarring, and insidious. With meandering prose and vivid descriptions, King dazzles, stupefies, and petrifies readers down to their core by invoking their atavistic fears, transmogrifying it, and assuming the shape of the thing that one is most afraid of.
"The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years — if it ever did end — began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat ma
Kemper
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Only Stephen King could write an eleven hundred page book about the innocence and wonder of childhood, and then kick it off with a six-year-old boy getting his arm ripped off by a clown.

Derry, Maine, in 1958 is a bad place to be if you’re a kid. Child disappearances and murders are occurring with astonishing regularity, and while the adults set curfews and hunt for maniacs a group of eleven-year-old outcasts know the truth - a supernatural entity has been terrorizing and killing the children of
YA Buddy Readers'...: IT by Stephen King - Restarting October 10th 2021 162 470 Dec 02, 2021 05:59AM
2021 & 2022 Readi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. It 15 50 Nov 07, 2021 01:57AM
Who do you think was the most interesting/relatable character in Stephen King's book It? 47 616 Sep 21, 2021 11:08AM
Should I read this? 4 36 Jan 03, 2021 09:49PM
Goodreads Italia: GdXL luglio-settembre 2020: It 29 227 Oct 26, 2020 10:36AM

• Dracula
  • The Exorcist
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Thinner
  • Misery
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • The Long Walk
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Jaws (Jaws #1)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

We'll admit it: Of all the types of novelists, it's horror writers we have the most questions for. Like: WHY? And WHAT IS WRONG WITH...
179 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“We lie best when we lie to ourselves.” 1411 likes
“Your hair is winter fire
January embers
My heart burns there, too.”
1235 likes