Start by marking “Rules for My Unborn Son” as Want to Read:
Rules for My Unborn Son

Rules for My Unborn Son

RULES FOR MY UNBORN SON is a collection of traditional, humorous, and urbane fatherly advice for boys. From the sartorial ("If you are tempted to wear a cowboy hat, resist") to the practical ("Keep a copy of your letters. It makes it easier for your biographer") to even a couple of sure-fire hangover cures ("There is no better remedy than a dip in the ocean"), the book of ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Rules for My Unborn Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules for My Unborn Son

Start your review of Rules for My Unborn Son
Erin
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Classic wisdom for a modern gentleman. Charming, humorous, and well-designed, it's small but stylish. A great gift idea. We have a copy on our coffee table, and it's a fun conversation starter.
Cole Schoolland
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok. We get it. Your a wealthy elitist who lives in Manhattan and you are better than the rest of us. Round of applause. 70% of this book is GREAT, but the other 30% I could definitely do without.

This book was MADE great when I passed it around to a select few of my closest friends/family and invited them to liberally edit it with their updated opinions.

Examples of good advice:
"When caught in a riptide, swim parallel to the beach."
"Be a well-informed voter."
"Don't litter. Ever."
"Twice a year,
Luke David
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read it no less than 100 times because it's that good! I keep a copy in the bathroom, living room, and bedroom just to make sure I can access this powerful knowledge at any moment. Knowledge is power and this book will make you a better person. Some of the rules are so simple... yet so genius. Those are the best! I don't know what this author is up to now, but I hope he's working hard on a follow-up!
Anie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was entertaining to read these with my husband and compare against our "rules" for our future son. Very cute book, could be a nice gift for an expecting father.
Matt
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: father of sons
This book is a great idea! It is a collection of sayings that the author's dad said to him as he was growing up. Too many people have thought about doing something like this, but never followed through with it. Lamond does this and does it well! Proverbial sayings range from manners to music, from women to waltzing.
I found myself reading it and not only saying to myself that I wanted to use some of the truisms in my life, but to pass them along to my sons as well. Anyone with a son would enjoy
Mary Beth
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pick up & read, even if your sons are grown
and share with your daughters
Mary Beth
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: would-be gentlepeople
Shelves: first-reads
I very happily received this book as a goodreads give-away, and am delighted to find it to be a fun, witty, and enjoyable book that offers good advice to boys (and girls) of all ages. Rules for My Unborn Son is a collection of quotes, facts, and practical advice ranging from wisdom: "When things go wrong, don't go with them(Elvis Presley)" to the ever helpful "Find yourself a good hideout." Suggestions on how to eat well, play hard, and find success in love are all included in a format that ...more
Heather
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this on FirstReads and am very excited. Having 4 sons myself I'm always interested in boy things!

Update: This was a fast read. There are several thoughts on each page, some in large print, some in small. There are also a lot of pictures throughout. The book itself is very nice looking. I liked the layout and the feel of it when I held it.

Most of the thoughts were great and some even downright hilarious. I would have given it 5 stars if not for several references to drinking or a few other
Jeff Ford
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A book of maxims. A number of his guidelines I'll happily ignore, especially the bit about men not wearing sandals or sunglasses on airplanes. In others you can see Lamond's liberalism showing (serve one's country by driving a fuel efficient car?). Overall, just another gift book more likely to be tossed than to earn that spot on the coffee table.
Kathy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book that i will be purchasing for my 2 small grandsons. Gives some great old fashion advice to manners
Jess Alexander
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled to bursting with amazing tips, songs and pictures of how to conduct yourself as a man. But also, it is a fantastic read for any self-respecting lady.
Andrew
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My quickest read yet
Fun little advice for dudes
Visit the website
Cassie
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: male-author
I agree with most but not all of these rules. :)
Samir Kagadkar
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of little tidbits of wisdom here.
It’s a great, easy read.
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-non
Only a few lines per page, but those lines are filled with wisdom.
Danny
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I had been following this blog on tumblr for a while, and I just wanted to have a physical copy on my shelf. I ended up going through the whole thing and "updating" it for myself--for my unborn son.

Some of the advice is timeless, but some is pretty specific to certain historic eras or tastes of the author. For example (and I wish I had the book in front of me to quote specifics), there's definitely at least one entry in there about baseball, and I hate baseball. So my annotation would be
Brad
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every boy
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It's still an honest review, but the FTC wanted you to know...
----------------
Won as a Firstreads a few months back. Despite the fact that it didn't come for a while, I was very excited when it finally arrived.

This is a book of great advice for boys. It's a nice hardcover worth perusing on a regular basis. I made it through the whole thing straight pretty quick, and found myself smiling and nodding at many of the rules provided.

Rating:
Howard Dickins
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a lovely book to pick up and read a few pages from. It's intent is to guide a father in bringing up his young son - not with wordy regulations, but with wit, wisdom and compassionate little proverbs. It's a book that's full of a certain 20th century style - you may not agree with everything contained herein; but even those few points you might disagree with would at least give you cause to think about what you do believe - and how a young man ought to live.
It even has a "suggested
Alex
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I believe I received this book as part of the Goodreads.com First Reads.

I am not sure where this book fits in my collection of books.

I enjoyed the slices of wisdom from quotes by H. G. Wells ("Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.") to seemingly dated advice ("Have a pen pal.").

I will hang on to the book as I envision that one day I could hand the book down to my future son when he is expecting his first child.
JC
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I wish I owned this book. I flew right through it and found myself chuckling at some of the quotes and advice. That being said, my favorite quotes came from people besides the author.
"On matters of style, swim with the current. On matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson
"Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath." - Michael Caine
Matt Russell
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Eric Moote
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Overall: a great, thorough collection of wisdom any boy would be blessed to have tattooed in their mind.

Written by a father to his sons which he was able to share with the world. I would agree with 99% of the advice, but the 1% is regional preference (west coast vs. east).

I would recommend this to: fathers.
Erik
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for those new dads, soon to be dads, or any moms for that matter! Excellent take on traditional roles, while bucking a few norms, but not in the "throw all gender roles out the window" kind of way. Any boy learning these rules growing up and following them into manhood, will never have to hear from another woman "where have the real men gone?"
Arthur
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this book it is full but f really good information and rules almost all my family have at least 3-2 copy’s plus my dad wrote this book so I guess I’m the unborn son.

Ps for those of you who want a new book he is working on a adventure book and I’ll tell him to look at your comments and maybe write more like it.
Jane
Nov 15, 2009 added it
Woo Hoo, I won this from GoodReads!
Update: This would be good for a baby shower and then have guests write their own advice for the unborn child.
Otherwise, it's too stodgy, even for me. Really? Grown men shouldn't wear shorts or sandals? Maybe it's just because I live in Texas, that seems ridiculous to me.
Sara Pruner
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The maxims in this book are hit or miss. Most are fantastic pieces of advice for everyone (not just men) while others are dated, prejudice, or even a bit on the sexist side. Still, it's definitely a worthwhile read.
Paul Yoon
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I found some of what Walker Lamond suggested for his unborn son helpful, some of what he said witty, and some of what he said utterly ridiculous. I also read it in approximately 30 minutes so I am happy I picked it up in a bargin bin off Amazon.
Brian
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Essentially a collection of quick blog posts encapsulated as "rules" to live by, but so many are funny and appropriate for today's world, I found myself dog-earing my copy to quickly reference the ones I thought were best. And that is probably endorsement enough.
Loren
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great little cofffe talbe book. It's full of fun quotes, thoughts, and ideas.
Caroline
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book on my coffee table.

• Eight Dates: Essential Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • The Illustrated Art of Manliness: The Essential How-To Guide: Survival, Chivalry, Self-Defense, Style, Car Repair, And More!
  • Teckla (Vlad Taltos, #3)
  • Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Bill of Rites: For the American Man
  • The Joy of Cookies: Cookie Monster's Guide to Life
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • 7 ans après...
  • Ce que le jour doit à la nuit
  • حوار مع صديقي الملحد
  • العصفورية
  • ملائك نصيبين
  • أرض السافلين
  • رحلتي من الشك إلى الإيمان
  • Dark Pattern (The Naturalist, #4)
Walker Lamond is a writer, television producer, and father of three. His work has appeared on HBO, the Discovery Channel, and in numerous publications including the Washington Post, popular Mechanics, Esquire, and Parenting magazine. He is the author of Rules for My Newborn Daughter and Rules for My Unborn Son.