Start by marking “The Story of the Jews: A 4,000 Year Adventure (Modern Library)” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Jews: A 4,000 Year Adventure (Modern Library)

The Story of the Jews: A 4,000 Year Adventure (Modern Library)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"Funny and original, and it won't take 4,000 years to read."
--Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons

"Looking for a gift for a person of any age? Look no more."
--New Jersey Jewish News

Beginning on the banks of the Euphrates with Abraham and Sarah, Stan Mack takes us on an entertaining and rewarding journey across 4,000 years of Jewish history. The first book of its kind,
Published March 16th 1999 by Villard (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Jews

Alex
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great way to learn Jewish history!
Michelle L
The comic book format pretty much blew me away and gave me an amazingly broad historical survey that in a text or serious tome would have required a lot more intensive attention. (I've done that too), but this was such a fun sweep. There were characters and incidents of which I'd been wholly unaware. Yay for Beruriah and boo on the necessary but appalling bar Kochba. I never knew. If only I knew some kids to give it to, it'd be perfect for 8 years old up -- and up.
Emilia P
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
YAY. I really enjoyed this. I learned some new things and saw the way some things connected to each other and for the most part appreciated the goofiness. On the other hand, the vast amount of time it had to cover in single panels made it sort of choppy. And it was very history focused rather than custom focused. Which is cool. I got other books for that. Jews!
Kristy
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it has pictures and glosses over major historical events! I'm not saying it beats a real jaunt into research, but I did enjoy the brush up from 4000 yrs ago till now and it gave me a different perspective from which I was brought up in. AND . . . sue me, but the pictures were at times quite funny.
Devorah
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaica
Fun, informative cartoon history of the Jews. Engaging for older children and teens. A useful conversation starter for parents.
Jim
i love this book and stan mack's work
Iona Bacht
Jan 28, 2016
Sue
It's a pretty impressive feat, to retell Jewish history from the beginning of the Hebrew Bible up to the present day, in one graphic volume, & to do it accurately & with balance. I really enjoyed this book; I would also recommend it to anyone who wants to "brush up" their knowledge of Jewish history, or who is just starting.
Rob
Aug 16, 2015
Emily Bengels
Dec 28, 2012
Josette
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my 10-year-old son, who thought it was funny and now knows a lot more about his people. I also really enjoyed it and thought it handled the difficult stuff with humor and insight.
Marina Speranza