Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)

The Stainless Steel Rat for President

(Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #8)

The Stainless Steel rat is back!  Slippery Jim diGriz, the future's most lovable, laughable, larcenous conman tumed counterspy, retums for yet another high-tension mission.

This time the Special Corps has given the Rat a daring assignment - liberate a backward tourist planet from the clutches of an aging dictator.  With his lovely but lethal wife, Angelina, and his two stal
Published June 1st 1988 by Spectra (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat for President

Wanda
What is left for the Stainless Steel Rat to fight for? Democracy, of course—a rather ironic struggle for Slippery Jim diGriz, who is much more at home in the criminal underworld. But Harrison couldn’t resist the politician-as-crook angle, so Jim must run for president of the planet Parisio-Aqui.

Harrison must have known a little Spanish and/or Esperanto, judging by the frequency of those languages showing up in the Rat books. If the reader has some familiarity with them, there are amusing little
Mike
The galaxy's greatest thief-turned-smartmouthed-secret-agent goes to a foreign planet to bring down the (not at all stereotyped) south-american rebel-general-turned-dictator.

(Seems familiar, but no idea when I might have read this...)
Robert
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Thom
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
A quick read, like all of the series. In this episode, the Rat is tasked with cleaning up a corrupt banana republic - or was he? I forget the particular MacGuffin that started this one off. Less of the usual criminality, more of his moral code, and a clever way of ensuring things stay on the up-and-up for a while with his "dying wish".
Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the stainless steel rat books. They are all quick reads with alot of humor in them. The stories remain fresh and new. Very recommended, especially to teen readers or someone new to SiFi
Jim
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
An uber-snarky intergalactic James Bond, if Bond were a family man and had a seemingly unlimited supply of just the right gasses, smoke-bombs and weaponry, and had a profound distaste for killing people. A quick fun read. Will seek out previous installments of the Rat's adventures. Harrison throws in a bunch of subtle goodies such as references to books concerning political dirty tricks as The Education of A Prince by Mac O'Velly. Snark.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars audio version

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Fascist dictators, watch out — Slippery Jim diGriz is on the planet, and he’ll stop at nothing to secure freedom, peace, and representation for the people. Even if he has to lie, cheat, steal, and stuff ballot boxes to do it.

Harry Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat series is lots of fun and you can’t help but love con-man Slippery Jim, his sadistic wife Angelina, and their twin sons James and Bolivar who are, for better or worse, chips o
Linda Isakson
Another zany and fun rat adventure whereby this time he and Angelina are simply trying to enjoy a belated honeymoon but instead end up involved in overthrowing the corrupt government of Paradiso Aqui by becoming its next president! Of course, like all rat books, the story is full of social and political parodies (this time Latin American-type politics), loads of outlandish scheming, great dialogue, wonderful characters and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
Aricia Gavriel
So weird -- I didn't actually enjoy this one at all. It was okay, but there's such a thing as being *too* glib, flippant, whatever it is, and (for me) Harrison crossed the line with this one. I've heard that 'President' is not the best of the books, but I could only find three when searching for them at local venues where you can actually buy (remember, Amazon will no longer ship to Aus, on account of their inability (WFT???) to gather 10% GST -- which is ludicrous, because every other o/seas ve ...more
Ian Banks
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rat takes on crooked governments! After a plea for his aid results in the murder of the messenger the rat and his family travel to an isolated tourist planet and seek to overthrow the corrupt president by using his own tactics against him. Being the rat, of course, he does allow fair play to be triumphant but not until a cavalcade of escapades and episodes have taken place. Slippery Jim's largely improvised escapes and antics have an astonishingly competent sheen to them now, probably becaus ...more
Karolis
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book just because I'm a completionist type. From my teen years i remember reading some SS rat books, and felt that i have to re-read them again to fill in the gaps. While the first books in the series were good because it was something i remembered liking, the more i read them the more it is of the same predictable plot and less of humor i remembered. Basically, it "was ok", but i also think it's a time waster because there's much better books to read.
Al Philipson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the entire "rat" series and this one is definitely up to standard. Jim's ego is in full swing (along with his love for alcohol). And his wife and two larcenous boys are as capable as ever.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty good but seems par for the course for this series. At this point I'm getting bored with the daring do act. I'm hoping the end of the series provides a change of pace.
Michael Hancock
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75
Daniel Cornwall
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun for what it is. Relies on extreme levels of luck, skills and accurate, actionable intelligence. A fun romp with a family that stays together by conning together.
Garrett
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I need a Stainless Steel Break. I still enjoy them, but I feel like starting Dark Tower back up again.
Wdaily
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always light and fun and not too complicated. Quick read and (oddly) topical.
Simon Forward
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So we come to the end of our travels with the Stainless Steel Rat. And Harry Harrison makes sure Slippery Jim goes out in grand style.

The Peter Ellison cover of my copy portrays an older Rat, bewhiskered and bemedalled, amid a shower of bunting and ticker-tape as some hig-tech fighters perform a celebratory fly-past overhead. It's fitting as the whole thing feels like a party. Perhaps more of a retirement party than a political parade as there seems to be a stated intent to send the Rat off to r
deilann
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

Harry Harrison making fun of politics? Yes, please! The hijinks in this Stainless Steel Rat book poke at the way democracies end up not being so democratic. He probably could have used a less stereotypical backdrop than Space Latin America to show off his "democratic" dictator plot, but because the setting isn't the joke, it works better than the issues in the last book.

In fact, it probably would have been five stars if Harrison hadn't gone for the easy swoop
Charles
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
James (Jim) DiGriz, a con man that calls himself the Stainless Steel Rat, is back engaged in another adventure. A man has been found dead while trying to contact Jim and it is learned that he is from the tourist-trap planet of Paraiso-Aqui. As a consequence Jim, his jealous and deadly wife Angelina and their two talented adult sons Bolivar and James plan a trip to the planet.
When they arrive, they discover that it is ruled by a ruthless man named Julio Zapilote. With the aid of anti-aging treat
Raj
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, sci-fi
Slippery Jim DiGriz is back, this time away to the paradise planet (so the tourist brochures say) of Paraiso Aqui, from where a garbled message has come. Now a reformed character, he finds a planet with a façade of democracy but ruled by a brutal dictator. With his psychopathic wife and equally crooked children by his side, he sets out to rig the already rigged election and bring true democracy to this benighted planet.

A fun short novel, it's nice to see Slippery Jim up to his old tricks again,
Mark Speed
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The good old rat is back. I thought I'd write this as a topical review, given the farcical elections in Crimea today. See what I did there? Let's do a bit of time-travel - I wonder how we'll look on the Ukraine/Crimea situation a decade from now?

This is not a spoiler, given the cover blurb. There's a dictator on this backward planet, and the agency sends in the rat to sort it out. What do you think might happen in a situation like that, and with a title like Stainless Steel Rat for President? As
Andreas
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Michael Gardner
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
It’s remarkable how many books Harry Harrison spun out of this series. They’d be right up there as one of my favourite sci-fi humorous series, but there’s only so many time you can laugh at Slippery Jim calling people bowbs. It has the charm of familiarity, satisfies fans of the series and has Jim saving the only thing left in the galaxy to save: democracy. With the exception of religion. Oh wait, that’s the next book in the series.
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have yet to read a Stainless Steel Rat book that I haven’t enjoyed. Although, The Stainless Steel Rat for President is not the best of the first five, but it is still a great book.

The reason I enjoy Slippery Jim books is because he is both funny and quite slick. I love the way that he gets out of messy situations. Is he smart? You bet he is. Is he lucky? The luckiest man alive. Is he fun to read about? A blast! I can’t wait to read the next one.

I rated this book an 8 out of 10.
Eric Lawson
Slippery Jim and his family are back. Jim and Angelina are having a belated honeymoon on the holiday world of Paraiso-Aqui. Of course, nothing is as it seems and the ruler of Paraiso-Aqui has been rigging the elections for a very long time.

The diGriz clan are sent in to make sure that the next election has the correct result.

An entertaining look at how to rig elections, lie, cheat, steal and influence people.
Steven Poore
Good old-fashioned rip-roaring fun, told in first-person style with tongue placed very firmly in cheek. It's been some years since I last read any of these (clue: the Milk-Snatcher still ruled Britain back then...), and I'm afraid to say this one hasn't matured all that well. As a parody of the SF of the 50s it is perfectly serviceable, and Jim Di Griz will always be one of the genre's greatest protagonists, but the overall feel is one of a slightly rusty Italian Job In Space...

Rene Majer
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auto před zátarasem zpomalilo a pak vyrazilo kupředu. Bomby explodovaly a okolí zmizelo v oblacích hustého dýmu. Ozvalo se praskání, zvonění kovu o kov a pak se zátarasy rozlétly na všechny strany. My jsme byli bezpečně za nimi a nabírali rychlost. Jestli za námi někdo střílel, namáhal se zbytečně, nevěděli jsme o tom. Po dvou kolech a s jekotem týraných pneumatik jsme dorazili za roh a heliport byl přímo před námi. Náš vrtulník také. Hořel. Z jeho dveří právě vypadl mrtvý ohořelý pilot.
Michael Ward
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The stainless steel rat books were good. This was one of the best ones. There is an interesting comment somewhere in the book about how monetarism had wrecked whole worlds which is kind of prophetic when we look at the state of the western economies today that most embraced monetarism.

This was a good and interesting read.
Steve D
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Steve by: Matt Davidson
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series in early highschool, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sci-fi environment along with the conman turned good guy (somewhat) spy. I suspect that if I re-read the series today the writing would not be quite so captivating, but I give it a solid recommendation for younger sci-fi fans.
  • Unit Origami: Multidimensional Transformations
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (Retief, #1)
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Dayworld Breakup (Dayworld #3)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Triumph of Time (Cities in Flight, #4)
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • Empire
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Tintin in the New World
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Camelot 30K
  • The Boys' Book: How to be the Best at Everything
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)