Start by marking “Losing Faith” as Want to Read:
Losing Faith

Losing Faith

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,158 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
A terrible secret. A terrible fate.

When Brie’s sister, Faith, dies suddenly, Brie’s world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood and barely even liked, everything in her life seems to spiral farther and farther off course. Her parents are a mess, her friends don’t know how to treat her, and her perfe
Published September 7th 2010 by Simon Pulse

Angela  M
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely well written and has an intriguing mystery that left me wondering what really happened until the final reveal. Brie is your typical self-involved teen until the night her super religious sister falls off a cliff. Others want to deem it a suicide, but Brie just can't believe that her sister would do that. She starts digging into her sisters last days and everything just becomes more and more confusing. Things also become more and more dangerous for Brie.

As for characters,
April
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, for-review
There are not enough YA books with cults in them. For serious, cults are fascinating and riveting. Losing Faith by Denise Jaden has a cult, thus making it full of win. It also has: character development, death, high school, home school, kissing and religion. Elements of appeal to me.

Read the rest of my review here
Yelania Nightwalker
Awesome. I love Alis!
In english... soon

Elegí Losing Faith como una de mis mejores lecturas del 2010 por que este libro muestra una manera real y conmovedora las distintas formas en que cada persona atraviesa la pérdida de un ser querido. Pese a que es un tema complicado y puede sonar triste, la escritora supo manejar el tema con suavidad sin perder objetividad por ello.

También, el aspecto de la religión que se ilustra en el libro, no me pareció una manera de predicar sobre estos temas y lo agra
Morgan F
Brie is your average self-absorbed teenage girl. Her main concerns are partying and trying to keep her boyfriend's interest. However, one night Brie receives horrible news: her older sister Faith was killed in a horrible accident. Brie and Faith weren't particularly close as Faith was devoutly religious, something Brie wasn't all that comfortable with. Despite their differences, when Faith dies, Brie's world collapses. She loses her boyfriend, best friend, and her parents are too distracted with ...more
Lenore Appelhans
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brie and her sister Faith have not been close in awhile, so when Faith dies under mysterious circumstances, Brie is not sure how she should feel. In order to gain closure, Brie starts investigating Faith’s death and uncovers some shocking secrets.

After I finished reading this, I tweeted: “If more contemporary YA was like LOSING FAITH, I’d read more of it.”

Contemporary YA doesn’t make up a lot of my reading. Mostly because I tend to be drawn to high-concept premises, but also because contemp YA
Crystal
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-july-2010
Losing Faith has a lot going on in it and Denise Jaden does a wonderful job of tying it all together and presenting it in a wonderful package that keeps you in suspense and keeps you engaged with the characters at the same time.

At first I wasn't sure what I thought of Brie, she seemed a little self-centered. Then I thought back to my high school years and what teenage girl isn't self-centered? Who doesn't want to meet up with their boyfriend at any cost? However Brie's sister, Faith's death real
Tina
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, contemporary, ya
Original post at One More Page

My first impression on Losing Faith before I read the book's summary is it's a paranormal romance novel. Which, based on my current reading preferences, is something I kind of avoid. It wasn't until I was going through the YA Contemps releases for 2010 that I found out it was not paranormal romance. When I found out it was a NaNoWriMo novel, it kind of cinched the deal for me and I got a copy of the book.

Losing Faith is a word play on the inciting incident in the
Lauren
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Before beginning my official review of Losing Faith, I have to say that I absolutely love the cover of this. It's simply breathtaking and truly captures the feeling of this book, in my opinion. But I digress.

Anyhow, Losing Faith is an beautiful, heartbreaking, and unique debut, one that I'm sure many teens who enjoy a sad but hopeful read will eat up right up.

Losing Faith tells the story of Brie, a girl who's always been the black sheep of family. Because unlike her parents and sister Faith, she
Jenny
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it

This book was teetering between okay and good for me. There were some things that I liked and some things that I didn't particularly care for much. The characters were pretty interesting. I liked the way that most of them were done. A couple of the peripheral characters were a little too over the top for me; it was almost as though everyone who experiences the loss of a loved one completely loses all sense of rationality and never regains it. But I thought that the main three characters
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
Brie Jenkins’s world is turned upside down when she learns of her sister’s death. She tries her best to fit the pieces of her life back together but things don't go as planned and everything else in her life starts to unravel around her when whispers of her sister’s death catches her ear. Denise Jaden pulled me into the heartbreaking mindset of Brie and the turmoil clouding her life. Brie's mission to find out what really happened to her sister the night of her death touched on many of the press ...more
A.E.
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brie's world falls apart quickly which gives a nice - okay maybe not nice but dramatic - kickstart to the plot of LOSING FAITH. Between her sister's death, her parents emotionally checking out and her boyfriend and best friend hitting her with a mega-betrayal, life sucks. Sure she could roll over and play dead but that isn't our heroine's way, and that's what I like about her.

She's a tough cookie and instead of wallowing in self-pity, she gets her spunk on and starts investigating. After dumping
Michelle. D.
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love how the title of the book relates to the story of the book. I just had to get that out there.

So the story is about Brie and how her sister was killed. Everyone belives that it was a suicide but Brie believes differently. And the journey begins...

I LOVE ALIS! When Brie first meets him I was like, ahhahah girl name. But then you find out that it is short for alister and it's not spelt "a-l-i-c-e", it made so much more sense. And I goota say, for a guy who never had any friends or girlfriend
Amy Jacobs
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I wish I had a stronger word to describe this book but Wow is pretty much the first thing I said when I finished it. This young adult book features cults, romance, suspense and mystery, and even death. What do you get when you put all of those subjects into a book? Losing Faith by Denise Jaden is what you get.

When Brie's very religious sister dies, the family is devastated. Faith was the oldest, yet Brie was not very close with her. The police rule her death a suicide, but Brie knows in her
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

Brie found her older sister, Faith, irritating with her spiritual outlook on life, but when Faith dies in a fall from a cliff, Brie discovers there was more to her sister than she thought.

As she struggles to come to terms with the loss of her sister, Brie must deal with parents who seem to have forgotten they have another daughter, a boyfriend who betrays her, and a school full of people who no longer want to associate with her.

If that weren't diffi
TotallyDevious - Ashley
I've wanted to read Losing Faith for a long time but I took my time getting to it, knowing that since I lost my brother then my sister in 2007, that this book might bring up those feelings so I decided that I would only read it at night before bed. It took almost two weeks for me to finish it, not because it wasn't interesting enough for me to read quickly but because I wanted to savor it. The book was written amazingly, and I wish more authors would address and help siblings cope by writing sto ...more
Amber Vilate
I'm really looking forward to reading this! I actually helped out by critiquing a chapter or two, so it's awesome to see this is being published!
Amanda
Kyleigh
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost before you read anything I have to say about this book, I just have to say you will love it. I don't care if you only like paranormal YA or sci-fi or what have you. You will love this book. I don't see how you could not. I didn't have high expectations for this book when I received it, but boy am I glad I signed up for this tour.

Brie is the complete opposite of her older sister Faith. Faith is religious, is totally devoted to God, and is certain of her beliefs. Brie by contra
Ashley
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own, blog
This book was originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden is a story of life and death, pain and hope, and friendship. Brie hasn't been close to her sister Faith for several years. Their parents are deeply religious, and Faith is a fervent believer as well. Brie is more interested in whether she really wants to spend alone time with her boyfriend than listening to people talk God, and it's caused some tension between family members.

Then Faith
Emilie
I’ll be honest, the main reason I originally picked up Losing Faith by Denise Jaden was because it was part of the Contemps Challenge. That’s not to say that the book didn’t sound interesting from the description, because it totally did and as it turns out the book was actually really good. I wasn’t really sure what to expect from the book because I hadn’t looked that much into it and it had only just come out when I began reading it. I’ll admit I was uncertain about the book at first, but as I ...more
Hderaps
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even though Brie and her sister are not at all close, Brie cannot help but feel completely lost and distraught after Faith's violent and mysterious death. The sisters may have been close in age, but their personalities were eons apart. As the younger sister, Brie does not even try to live up to the shining example set by her older sister. She is close to having sex with her boyfriend and lies to sneak out of her parents house for parties. Brie is a bit of a wild child in contrast to Faith, who s ...more
Erin
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows Brie, a high schooler that is being raised in a small town that seems to be overrun with religion. Her family alone has many levels of their desire to show their beliefs. Her Mom and Dad seem to belong to one church and go to some groups regularly, while Brie doesn't participate at all and then there is Faith, Brie's sister, who takes worship to a whole different level and it is basically her life. The story begins with Faith's death and leads down the path of how to deal with ...more
Irisheyz77
As originally posted on my blog Ticket to Anywhere

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I decided to sign up for the Losing Faith tour on Traveling ARC Tours. I had heard some discussion surrounding the book and so thought hey why not? The book begins shortly before Brie's sister Faith is found dead of apparent suicide. However, despite how things look Brie doesn't believe that her sister killed herself. Brie and Faith might not have been the closest of sisters but there are some things that
tarawrawr
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Alyssa
After reading a pretty religious book earlier this week, I decided it was about time to give LOSING FAITH by Denise Jaden a shot. I've been in the mood for some heavy stuff, since my life has been spiraling out of control lately and I need a little something to bring me back down to earth.
Losing Faith by Denise Jaden
Audience: 13+
Rating: 4/5
Recommend?: Yes
LOSING FAITH was a heartbreaking story of family and how you can end up losing a sister because you just can't keep track anymore. Our protagon
Sydney Faestel
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kelsey
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Losing Faith was an original and captivating debut that left me dying to read more by Denise Jaden! Her writing is beautiful and the plot of Losing Faith was so different from any other YA novel.

To begin with, the main character, Brie, was one of a kind. She had spent most of her life living in her sister's shadow. When Faith dies, Brie's world begins to unravel. Even though Brie never had a real relationship with Faith, her sister's passing impacts Brie's life in more ways than anyone could ima
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Losing Faith is a story about love, and loss, and the some times complicated relationships we have with our family and friends. I liked Brie's character. She grew up a lot after her sister's death. She went from being self centered, not having a very close relationship with her sister and finding ways to sneak away to see her popular boyfriend, to a very relatable character, as she looks into finding out what happened to Faith the night she died.

It was heart breaking reading how alone Brie felt
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had Denise Jaden's Losing Faith on my TBR pile for awhile and decided to tackle it today and managed to finish it in a day as well. It wasn't too bad. I'll admit I was skeptical to reading it because there wasn't anything supernatural going on, that much I could tell from the BOC description, but the mystery itself sounded too compelling to avoid.

And it was pretty interesting. The title itself becomes one of those double meaning things. Losing faith and losing her sister Faith, which was kind
  • The Tension of Opposites
  • Stranded
  • The Secret Year
  • The Absolute Value of -1
  • Tagged
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • Fall for Anything
  • The Daykeeper's Grimoire (Prophecy of Days, #1)
  • See What I See
  • Salvaged (Salvaged, #1)
  • You Are Not Here
2919206
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers and fiction for young adults.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. The first draft was written in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. NEVER ENOUGH, her second novel, was released July 10, 2012. A companion group of stories--NEVER ENOUGH STORIES is available for free at Smashwords.com. WRITING WITH A HEAVY HEART:
More about Denise Jaden...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99

“What's even more messed up than funerals, is the way people treat you after the funeral. Like you're diseased or something.” 20 likes
“Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the Midol.” 12 likes