Start by marking “The Years of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Years of Silence

The Years of Silence

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An Egyptian up-and-coming debut author, Marwa's writing has been described as heart-warming, captivating and intense. THE YEARS OF SILENCE is believed to be the first English-language romance novel by a female Egyptian author born and raised in Egypt.

Blurb:

After a tragic incident, divorced and heartbroken, Egyptian 27-year-old Maya Seif is determined to move on, and find
Published by Malamih Publishing House (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Years of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Years of Silence

Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is truly an outstanding debut English-language novel by an Egyptian female author. A friend of mine recommended this novel and I bought it when I was last in Egypt (among several other books).

The novel is different from the majority of romance novels in the sense that the author does an amazing job depicting all the characters' feelings. I felt the heroine so much: her pain, anger, sadness, longing, disappointments, joy and great love for the hero who is so far away from her (and isn't even
Danielle Thorne
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
They say when you can't tell if a story is fact or fiction, the author's done a good job. This is a beautiful story-it's well written. There are no dramatic, over the top twists and turns, so some readers/reviewers may not like that. It should be understood, this is just plotted differently. I found it to be more of a memoir than a romance-perhaps that was the intention.

The most important thing I learned from this book was the universal feelings and experiences women all over the world have whe
May
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Iman
May 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english
Ahmed Samy
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really I couldn't stand till the end to write my review about the novel
I can't say it is completed review about it but it's mine any way

I must admit it it Requires a lot of courage from any Arabian or at least Egyptian to write a novel in English What's about if it was a perfect novel

you have Homogenous events .. I didn't feel bored any time till now of course I'm not questioning you language power but you know language alone isn't enough

the only part it the ending I'll write it as soon as I
Daydreamer
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
A charming debut novel which I really enjoyed reading. I particularly liked the warmth of Marwa's writing, and I found her descriptions sensitive. When I finished reading, I wondered: Was the author in an abusive marriage herself? Did she suffer a miscarriage? Did she live in New York? That was how the novel felt real to me. Recently, many books seem so contrived, even with great writing - it doesn't make me enjoy the story.

I also liked Maya's and Yusuf's relationship, their emails, etc. Perhaps
Mariam
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
page turner, couldn't put it down till I finished it
Amina
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This was a great debut romance novel by a female Egyptian author who is believed to be the first Egyptian novelist to write a romance English novel! (Kudos to you, Marwa!)

The book was even more than I expected. The language and writing style were both very smooth. It was like borrowing your best friend's diary as it's more like a private memoir. There's no denying Marwa's talent or "special voice" which is very captivating (I finished the novel in two days) which makes the book a page-turner as
Mai Magdy
It had been long time since I read anything in English, However this novel made it easy for me to read in English after long absence .What encourages me more that it is about one of lots of Egyptians ladies who were abused by their monsters husbands which turned them to divorce after a miserable life ,so you adapt with the incidents easily.
Shimaa Abd el shafy
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
تنفع مثلا فيلم هندى أو فيلم ايا كان ايه الناس تخرج منه مزأقطةة ومبسسوطة كدا :D كل حاجة ف القصة ماشية زى الفل مفيش ولا صراع ولا مشكلة ولا اى حاجة تعكنن عليك كدا :D ودا شىء غريب ويمكن انا كنت مفتقدة دا ف معظم الحاجات اللى بقرأها مؤخرا , بشكل انا مش لاقياله تفسير هى عجبتنى مع أنها ككقصة تنفع خيال علمى او فيلم ,, بس لطيفة وخفيفة جداً واسلوبها بسيط اوووى , وفيها رغى وتفاصيل كتير ودا يمكن اللى زهقنى بس
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • أئمة الشر
  • أوراق شاب عاش منذ ألف عام
  • American Food Writing: an Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Mosaic
  • Love quotes for the ages. Specifically ages 18-81.
  • المُترجِم