Start by marking “I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)” as Want to Read:
I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)

I is for Innocent

(Kinsey Millhone #9)

Lonnie Kingman is in a bind. He's smack in the middle of assembling a civil suit, and the private investigator who was doing his pretrial legwork has just dropped dead of a heart attack. In a matter of weeks the court's statute of limitations will put paid to his case. Five years ago David Barney walked when a jury acquitted him of the murder of his rich wife, Isabelle. No ...more
Published March 22nd 1993 by Fawcett Books (first published April 21st 1992)

Luffy
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I is for innocent is definitely one of the best book of the series, IMHO. The care taken, the thoughtful planning, everything was just perfect, including the title.

I don't have much to say, you know? I'm replete. I almost went back and almost reread it.

There are two types of books, those that give off light and those that need a light to be understood. This book is neither. It's pure candy. It's cloying sugar. There are just enough pages to binge through. Enjoy.
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to I is for Innocent, the 9th book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series, written in 1992 by Sue Grafton. Innocent is a great example of why this is a good book series to read. Kinsey is funny but not silly. She is real, but flawed. The book is split into thirds, covering different angles of the case. Another example of Kinsey taking a case trying to determine what happened many years ago. But this time, she's partnering with another detective, then taking it ov
Phrynne
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Another excellent entry in this delightfully long series . So nice to know that I still have so many left to read:)

Kinsey stumbles around a bit in this one, partly because there are so many possible murderers that it is hard to sort them all out. She finds out in the end basically by accident and also finds herself in a very sticky position. All very typically Kinsey.

Sue Grafton's books are easy, entertaining reads and I always look forward to reading the next one.
Scoats
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After a disappointing H is for Homicide, Sue Grafton returns to form.

Another great read from her. It's a good mystery, that unfolds at the perfect pace. The regular characters are back with the addition of Henry's fussy brother William. Kinsey's friends appear at good points in the story to keep things interesting.

Even with the book being 25 years old at this point, Kinsey's cynical observations are still pointed and fun.
Mark Baker
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-audio, mystery
Five years ago, Isabelle Barney was murdered on the day after Christmas. While her estranged husband was acquitted of the crime, her ex-husband is now suing him in civil court in a wrongful death case. Kinsey has been hired to help the lawyer win the case, taking over from a PI who just died. His notes were a mess, so she is completely retracing his steps. But as she goes, she begins to wonder just who committed the murder. Is she helping the court case, or hurting it?

Kinsey is back in top form
Una Tiers
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting plot with a lot of characters, sometimes hard to keep straight. Grafton brings in another old friend of Kinsey and continues the storyline with her landlord and his family.

In a 2015 re-read, I wonder, does Grafton stereotype managers in motels?
Tanisha Peck
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I took a break from this series several years ago, but decided to pick it back up because a friend of mine read through the series in a matter of weeks. She really seemed to love it, so I thought I'd get back to the alphabet. **If you're looking for ONLY the summary of the book, please scroll down to the section below the break in the page**

While reading, I started to remember why I put this series down in the first place. The abundance of inconsequential detail.
First, Grafton describes Kinsey'
Linda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. Probably my least favorite so far. The story was still good and kept me guessing and the ending was terrific and exciting.
Sara
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was neither the best nor the worst detective/PI novel I have ever read. It was easy and fast-paced, but fairly formulaic. I did not warm up to Kinsey Millhone, and truly liking the investigator is almost required for enjoying these kinds of books. By the same token, I did not figure out the "who done it" before the end, which his a plus.

Not being a big fan of this genre, I am probably not the best person to judge how effective this series is. Obviously, a lot of people love it, or it would
Obsidian
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really love my Kinsey Milhone mystery novels. A really good thing is that Sue Grafton has evolved the series and I know that there is a split between fans on the way that the series has gone but I really do love re-reading the older novels. It's like being wrapped up in a warm hug.

I is for Innocent follows the events of H is for Homicide, with Kinsey finding herself fired from her previous job working with an isurance company. Struggling to make ends meet, Kinsey takes a case from her attorney
Charlotte Smith
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off slow, not the usual fast past till half way though but I still really enjoyed this one. I want to see what the next book is like
Claudia
Breezing right along in the alphabet books...this is deliciously twisted...almost Agatha-Christie-like in the multiple motives of the characters as they turn on each other. Kinsie has acquired a new office, a new car, and a new home over the course of the last few books...

I'm trying to pay closer attention to the chronology. I know Grafton kept Kinsie in the late 80's, into the 90's, even as her readers moved faster. Seasons come and go in Santa Teresa...

Still my favorite details are Kinsie's as
Quenya
I couldn’t decide how much I liked or didn’t like this book which left me a 3-star rating. I know I didn’t love this book and that is for several reasons. The suspect was obvious from the get go based on their actions that were so intent on keeping Kinsey engaged in the case. Also, this book had a very small population of characters with a lot of connections with some of those connections seeming like Grafton just threw them in. The book was saved though by the final confrontation between Kinsey ...more
Denise
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
So glad that there are 26 letters in the alphabet! A light, fast read with likeable characters. 3.5 KUYH's 2016 challenge
Marleen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sue-grafton
I read some of the alphabet series a long time ago and they always seemed like solid investigative reads, which is the kind of reads I enjoy. Here, in I For Innocent, Kinsey Milhone takes a bit of a left turn as her contract with California Fidelity Insurance was abruptly terminated in the previous book (which I have not yet read) and now works for a law firm, taken over from a Private investigator, Morley Shine, who died from a heart attack, only a day ago.
I will not get into the plot of the c
Beth
Originally seen on my book blog!

I started this book last month but then forgot it at home while I spent a few weeks at my boyfriend’s house. Once I got back home and started the book again, it was a little confusing because I’d read so many books in between that I forgot what the book was about. Luckily it was easy to jump back into and it turned out to be a really good book with an interesting story.

When someone dedicated a character to 26 books (one for each letter of the alphabet) there are g
Dawn Davies
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
it started off slow, but about half way through it picked up pace and became the Kinsey we know and love.
Linda
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, mysteries
A great mystery series.
Diane
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book...as most of Kinsey Millhone stories!
Susan
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“I” is definitely another engrossing thriller from Grafton. Kinsey, in new office space, gets a job picking up where the partner of her mentor has left off due to his untimely death from a heart attack. The plot is a prequel to what later happened with the O.J. Simpson trials – criminal followed by civil – and for similar reasons, but Grafton’s book was published in 1992, long before the Simpson trials in 1995 and 1997. Interesting.

Kinsey makes $55 an hour in this book, an increase from the $30
Darinda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsey Millhone takes over the case of a recently deceased PI. The case involves a guy that was charged with his wife's murder, but he was acquitted. Now the case is being taken to civil court. At first, Kinsey wants to work the case, but she soon learns the other PIs records were a mess, and she's not sure what he was doing with the case. As she continues to follow the leads, she learns the case is more complicated than it first appeared.

The 9th book in Grafton's alphabet mystery series. These
Chana
Feb 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A well-written mystery. I had read it some years ago and enjoyed it then. I was surprised to enjoy it so much the second time around. I had totally forgotten who the bad guy was although I remembered many details as the story unfolded. There are some very likeable characters in this series including Kinsey's neighbor Henry, his brother William and best of all, the Hungarian restaurant owner Rosie.
Alondra
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
4 Stars

I really enjoyed this episode of the Kinsey chronicles!! Gee whiz; did everyone have something to hide?? I had inkling of the killer beforehand, but then so many potentials kept creeping in.

I love her interaction with Henry and his hypochondriac brother, William. Had about 3 out-loud, giggle moments. Kinsey was her usual feisty self; and really managed to have a method to her madness. I was just starting to wonder about that girl.

Well, on to the next one!
Dany
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the ninth book in the series, but the first one I listen to as an audiobook. I was a bit hesitant at first, but in the end I really really loved it. Mary Pfeiffer was excellent, with a deep voice, sometimes a bit detached, just like I've always imagined Kinsey would sound like.
The story itself was interesting and entertaining, with lots of suspects, lots of possibilities and a new start for Kinsey in her new office with a new employer.

Four stars!
Lisa Anne
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Listened to this on audiobook and the best thing I can say is that it kept me awake while driving to an agility trial and home. I didn't find the characters interesting and I couldn't have cared less about the story. I truly enjoy most of Grafton's work, but this one was less than inspiring, and it was the second crappy Grafton book in a row :-(
Beverly
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, a-to-y-reread
3.5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the storyline, but I had trouble keeping the large cast of minor characters straight. On to J!
Teena in Toronto
It's the 1980s and Kinsey Millhone is a private detective in Santa Teresa, CA, in her thirties. She is renting space from her lawyer, Lonnie Kingman. Six years ago, David Barney was acquitted of killing his estranged wife, Isabelle Barney, by shooting her through the spy hole of her front door. Isabelle's first husband, Kenneth Voigt, is suing David in the civil courts to secure the fortune for his and Isabelle's daughter, Shelby, and has hired Lonnie as his lawyer. After Morley, Lonnie's privat ...more
Verity W
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cracking installment in the Kinsey Millhone series. The mystery in this is twisty and dark - but the side characters in Kinsey's personal life help lift it so it's not a miserable read. I went straight on to the next one!
Melliott
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5, better than some, not as good as others. It certainly had a lot of red herrings, and I also enjoyed the new work associates (the law firm substituted for the insurance agency).
Marcel Driel
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally didn’t see that one coming. Great misdirection!
  • Where Echoes Live
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
“Beware the dark pool at the bottom of our hearts. In its icy, black depths dwell strange and twisted creatures it is best not to disturb.” 152 likes
“Emotion doesn't travel in a straight line. Like water, our feelings trickle down through cracks and crevices, seeking out the little pockets of neediness and neglect, the hairline fractures in our character usually hidden from public view. Beware the dark pool at the bottom of our hearts. In its icy, black depths dwell strange and twisted creatures it is best not to disturb.” 7 likes