Start by marking “Feather in the Wind” as Want to Read:

(Time Travel #3)

BLACK WIND

He gazed out over a land as vast and empty as the sky, praying for the strength to guide his people, and he saw her face. She came to him in a vision, a woman as mysterious as the new moon over the prairie, as tender as springtime in the Paha Sapa. And he knew his life was changed forever.

SUSANNAH

She saw his face in a faded picture, and his eyes, restless as the
Mass Market Paperback, 395 pages
Published March 1997 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Feather in the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feather in the Wind

Start your review of Feather in the Wind
Lori
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel

I've had a weakness for Indians since I saw Last of the Mohicans. This is the first Native American love story I've read. Setting aside the uber cheesy cover/inside art, I really liked it. Added bonus was, it's a time travel. There are eye rolling moments, but all in all I enjoyed it.
Kristiej
N/A romance are one of my guilty pleasures and they are ever so delicious when the author is a good one. While Rosanne Bittner is my fave, Madeline Baker is very, very close behind and went on a Madeline Baker N/A romance spree lately and this is one of them. It's one I hadn't read back in the day so that was a nice discovery.

I enjoyed this book and it had a lot in it. Black Wind makes for a delicious hero. He knows his people time is coming to an end but there isn't anything he can do to stop
Heather Miller
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first romance novel I ever read, and it singlehandedly launched my love of writing, and will always hold a special place in my heart.
tx
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caveat, this book was not written for readers like myself. I stopped reading romance novels around the age of 12. They just bore me to tears with their stereotypes and predictability.
But I had recently seen "Stolen Women:Captured Hearts" and wanted some reasonably intelligent escapism in the same genre.
This one came up in my search. The reviews weren't too bad, and it was free....
I liked it at first, but after the fourth or so sex scene the same old, same old started to grate on my nerves.
As did
Amanda McNeiss
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it. This is the first book I've read since 2016 that's made me cry real, emotional tears. It made my heart break a little but put it back together again. I loved the ending. Black Wind got a very fitting ending and so did Susannah. This was a book I purchased on a whim so I could get free shipping and oh dear, I'm so glad I picked this one. I think I found another favorite author. Some of the pop culture references are dated as it was written in the 90s (one year before I was ...more
Rose James
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feather in the Wind by Madeline Baker

This was an excellent story. It was one so authentic about the Lakota culture and the people. It was full of mystery and suspense, including love between two people of different cultures and time travel was integrated in such a way that it all seemed so realistic. I disliked the way that the arrogant army, in those days, in the 1860's or so, treated the Native American people. But, other than that, I loved the story.
Karen Jones
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

Another wonderful love story and great time travel story as well. It was interesting to read of the difficulties the heroine had adjusting to the past as it would be for anyone from our current time. Glad both the heroine and the hero could work out the time they would live in.
Ada Geringer
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feather in the Wind

Another great story by the best writer I know of the Indian history. I just can't get enough of your stories. And into the next one, I have so many now that I will be in for a long time of reading them all as soon as finish one I'm on for the next one. I thank you again and again. Ada G.
Tessa Stockton
Every white woman’s Native dream. The cover image doesn’t do Tate Sapa justice, and there are cultural discrepancies in the story. Still, this is a fantasy and Madeline Baker is a darn good writer! She masterfully transports readers to other times, places, and situations. It’s hard to come down from the high of this rapturous romance.
Donna
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I love Indian romance and especially anything Madeline Baker writes
kattie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feather In The Wind

I loved this story. I look forward to reading more of her books. I recommend everyone to read this book. Kattie
Cynthia Roberts
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars Deserved

Another captivating read from one of my favorite authors. I assure you, you won't be disappointed. I sooo loved the time travel element back to the past.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good historical romance novel that was very cheesy if that's not your cup of tea you probably wont like it. I however like my books extra cheesy.
Vivian
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cool
Terry
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love Indian romance novels plus time travel. It had plenty of action etc to keep you reading. Will probably read again as I always do with books I love.
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
(Please read full review on: http://readingtothestarsandback.wordp... )

Okay. I know this isn't a new-off-the-shelf book. It's the same age as me. Although i consider myself to be in better condition. Nevertheless, I loved it and I want to review it. I received this book through ReadIt SwapIt, a UK based website that allows you to swap books with other users. Really cool. Check it out :)

Back to the book!

Madeline Baker could have been born in the 1800s. With 1800s Native Americans. This book was
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years and years ago and I'd forgotten most of it so it was like reading it for the first time.

I love time travelers, Native American stories and Madeline Baker. She has a real gift. I've read several of her books and there hasn't been a dud yet. The story was vividly exciting. I fell in love with Black Wind and could relate to Susannah in a lot of ways but I found toward the end that I was really bumming for Black Wind. I didn't know if he would be as resilient as she was.

I
Sandra Dagg
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one of Madeline Baker's Time Travel novels, featuring a Native American hero, which I absolutely love! A cool twist in that the heroine who travels back in time is actually a romance novelist, but the story is well-told, taken in the time when the Native American way of life was drawing to it's sad end...I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to anyone who likes Historical Romance, Time Travel, or Native American stories. It's another keeper for me.
Regina
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the book. It brought the present, the past and the future together in an interesting and creative way. It tried to address the wrongs of the past by the "whites" to the "Indians", the attempts of the present to correct the past and the possibilities of the future. The writer has creatively educated the reader about history and culture and still delivered a good historical romance novel. it flowed well and delivered a feel good ending with a twist.
Mary23nm
This was a nice, pleasant read. The hero, Black Wind, did not act much like a Lakota Indian from other books I've read, he had more of a modern day mentality towards the heroine, Susannah. The writing is well done and flows. Nothing too angsty or harsh. I give it 3 1/2 - 4 stars (In my opinion, the 4.22 rating is a little too generous)
Simone Z. Endrich
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I think it's one of Madeline Baker's best. Hard to put down.
Bea Gates & the Hallows Quest
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
I left a teaching will never forget ever in my life
Greeneyes Belle28
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nice
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Okay...I LOVED this book. I could read this one again.
Brenda Lee
Sep 11, 2009
Elaine Cowles
Jun 09, 2018

• Shoshone Surrender
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Plenty Proud
  • Zar (Galaxy Gladiators #1)
  • Too Tough to Tame (Tough Man, #1)
  • Beast (Warriors of Kaizon, #1)
  • Dreams of a Highlander (Arch Through Time, #1)
  • Gray Hawk's Lady (Blackfoot Warriors #1)
  • Comanche Moon Rising
  • Dream Catcher Woman
  • Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Night Thunder's Bride (Blackfoot Warriors #3)
  • Savage Obsession
  • Primal Possession (Alphas of Sandor #1)
  • Wolf Shadow's Promise (Legendary Warriors #1)
  • Lakota Surrender (Lakota #1)
  • Her Alien Warrior Prince: A SciFi Alien Romance (Warriors of Valkred Book 1)
Madeline Ruth was born on 1963 in California, where she raised. She married her high school sweetheart and they have three sons, all handsome enough to be cover models. Growing up, her favorite pastimes were going to the movies and going horseback riding on Saturday mornings at Griffith Park. Madeline has always been "horse happy." A horse was the one thing she asked for on every birthday and ...more

Time Travel (7 books)
  • The Spirit Path
  • The Angel & the Outlaw
  • Whisper in the Wind
  • Under a Prairie Moon (Time Travel, #5)
  • Unforgettable