Start by marking “The Complete Stories and Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories and Poems

The Complete Stories and Poems

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  24,014 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Everything that Lewis Carroll ever published in book form appears in this volume. Included are: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass, Sylvie and Bruno, Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, "The Hunting of the Snark," and Lewis' poetry, phantasmagoria, stories, miscellany, and "acrostics, inscriptions, and other verse."

The following have also never appeared in
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1884)

Penny
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a long time since I last read the 'Alice' books, and I was struck by how matter-of-fact they are. Extraordinary things happen, without comment: this seems to me to be the model for all good fantasy, the world should be so well-formed within the writer's imagination that no explanation - or worse, apology - is necessary. I challenge any modern writer to find a more self-confident and outspoken heroine. Nothing checks Alice's sense of herself; she is not troubled by self-doubt, or worried abo ...more
Dark-Draco
I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, especially as this copy has fantastic replicas of the original drawings. Although the story is so familier, it was nice to actually read it at last. I couldn't get into the Sylvia and Bruno stories at all - I was totally lost after a couple of chapters, so gave up. The poems, word games and acrostics are brilliant and well worth dipping in and out of. In all, a good read, but the classic stories remain the best.
Stephen
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifetime-books
Exhausting, nonsensical, but charming.

I presume it's much like having a small child, a little bag of sunshine that makes you smile for no reason, yet infuriates you at the same time for being so bloody nonsensical.
Carrol, and his Alice, much like young children in general find (and show us) wonder where otherwise we wouldn't see it.

It's definitely a book / collection that everyone needs to read at least once.
George
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Lewios Carroll from a very early age. Luckily, my parents had the Modern Library complete works, and I devoured it. Alice as a young child and several times thereafter, later Hunting of the Snark, later the puzzles and logic problems.

Great stuff!!
Rodney Wilder
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fancy and imaginative stories fit for anyone and everyone. I finally got a good taste of the literature that so much of modern children's literature and fantasy in general are based on. Very fun and well-written stories and intermingled poetry.
Susan Jane McLeod
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The Alice books are absolutely two of the best books ever written. Sylvie and Bruno, meh. Some of the poetry is too sentimental for me. But the nonsense poems are genius. The Hunting of the Snark is the funniest poem EVER!
Barrett
Nov 19, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i'm pretty sure this is the copy i have, assuming it's the rather large, 10-pound version that has, regrettably, been sitting on my parents' bookshelf for far too long. reading about Tim Burton adapting Alice In Wonderland to film reminded me of the error of my ways....
Jae
clever, satirical, well-witted, amusing.. a wonderful compilation of the known classics by Lewis Carrol, and some lesser known pieces (including mathematics poems, and works of his own, self-proclaimed "nonsense" )
Penguingrl8
Many think that this is a children's book but if children tried to read it I think they would be very confused. It is an abstract story and very intelligent, so do not base your knowledge of Alice in Wonderland by the disney movie, because it is a lot darker, complicated and better.
Asha
this good story
Brendan
Abundance of puns.
Ellie
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit hard to follow, but it is totaly random and the characters are so weird. I loved it! They say the guy who wrote this was crazy, and I aggree!
Max Scratchmann
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humour
Forget the complete works of Shakespeare (actually, don't - it's great!) this is the omnibus you take to your desert island.
Heather
Jan 17, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far I love it! I save it for reading on rainy days.
Amy
Technically, this book is Nathan's and it's massive. I wanted to reread Alice and will probably carry on reading other works by Carroll that I've never read before. Really perfect bedtime reading.
Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will always be reading this over and over and over...
Dassi
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm am currently reading Sylvie and Bruno, and find it enjoyable. Like all of Carrol's other works it is filled with nonsense and entertainment. Hope to the book's sequel just as good.
Sarah Sammis
It's been on my shelf for a while.
Elise
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVOURITE BOOKS. Caps does not even come close to describing how much I love this collection of stories, poems and riddles.
Robby Miller
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silvie and Bruno are the best
Ravensdusk
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, obsession with Britain! I tried getting through my mirror to Wonderland, but to no avail. Unless I really did succeed and this crazy world is Wonderland..there's a thought. :)
Mandy
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a really long book - I feel guilty leaving it on my currently-reading shelf for so long, but it's really a collection of stories to be savored.
Kristen
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In all of my life, I've never been more captivated by imagination. Lewis Carroll is my favorite.
TMM
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dreamers
Curiouser and curiouser. The great imagination and quirky wit of Lewis Carroll. Follow him down the rabbit hole and discover a world of literary treasures.
Ian Graham
Kellie Osborn
Mar 28, 2013
AllieofEarth
Mar 31, 2017
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
  • Charlotte and  Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950
  • Russian Fairy Tales
  • Essays and Poems
  • Tennyson's Poetry
  • Selected Poems
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)