Start by marking “Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell, #3)

Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell #3)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  6,724 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Johnny Maxwell has a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This has never been more true than when he finds himself in his hometown on May 21, 1941, over forty years before his birth!

An accidental time traveler, Johnny knows his history. He knows England is at war, and he knows that on this day German bombs will fall on the town. It happened
Published April 3rd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 1996)

Melissa McShane
This third volume in the Johnny Maxwell trilogy is the most ambitious, tackling the subject of time travel in a funny and at the same time thoughtful way. Johnny and his friends find the bag lady Mrs. Tachyon apparently mugged on the street, and in getting her medical care are stuck with her shopping cart full of squishy, disturbingly motile garbage bags. The thing is, her bags are apparently stuffed with Time, and in messing with them, Johnny and Kirsty (who keeps changing her name) and then th ...more
Dane Cobain
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always been a fan of Terry Pratchett’s Johnny Maxwell series – they were written and published during what I’d consider to be his golden years, and what’s interesting about the Johnny Maxwell books is that they’re set in our reality.

In this book, Johnny and his friends take a trip back in time after finding a magic, time-travelling trolley that belongs to the local bag lady. That allows Pratchett to experiment with genre, by writing a sort of realistic fantasy, which has some grounding in h
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
Today I am revisiting my very first blogs posts here and on my other blog Randomly Reading. It isn't because I haven't been reading, I have actually read lots of blogable books lately. I just thought it would be fun to see this again. And I still love it as much now as I did on all subsequent readings of it.

So here's what I wrote on June 11, 2010:

Life isn’t terribly exciting in Blackbury, England in 1996 until 21 May 1941, the night of the Blackberry Blitz and the destruction of Paradise Street,
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Pratchett has covered a lot of ground in this trilogy: aliens and war, ghosts and our connections to our past, and time-travel and, um, war again.

Perhaps it's because, as I said in my review for Johnny and the Dead. I would pick ghosts over aliens - or time-travel - or perhaps that story just resonated more for me for some other reason, but it as definitely my favorite of the lot. I think this one would come in second.

It didn't quite have the same level of humor or pathos has the second book,
Nikki
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
It's Terry Pratchett's doing, so of course it's fun. It plays around with the idea of time travel in a way that doesn't break my brain too much, which I can accept easily enough to drag me along for the ride. I'm told it's not the first book in the series, though, and it shows: I would probably have cared more if, well, I'd already cared.

I'm not really sure what to say about it. I was quite excited to get a Terry Pratchett book on my course, but now I've got it, I don't think I'm going to write
Lolliepop
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Like it!

Best quote:

"When all else failed, she tried being reasonable.”
B.  Barron
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beware the trousers of time.
Trish
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have given this the highest rating out of the trilogy as it was fleshed out more. The story, again, follows Johnny and his friends.

The mini-history lesson is done well and explained in terms where children can understand and follow.

I enjoyed all of the friends but Kirsty. Her "intelligence" just has her appear snobbish. Also, she doesn't seem to learn anything to grow. I especially enjoyed when Yo-less put her in her place. Granted, they are children, but she was very unlikable. On top of th
Paul Wardman
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and final Johnny Maxwell book although I wasn't aware until after I'd got part way through. Luckily the books read as stand alones featuring recurring characters and the only thing that progresses in a chronological order is the situation happening behind the closed door of Johnny's home.
There were still some social comments that gave food for thought in this one, how racism is treated and its use has changed over the years (some would say not a lot these days) and how events from the
Jared
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The third book in Terry Pratchett's Johnny Maxwell series starts out with a bang. Literally. A bomb has fallen in the midst of Johnny's city. But the bomb dropped in World War II. Johnny discovers the history of the bomb and can't stop thinking about the people affected by it. One of the people affected by it ends up in Johnny's time -- the local bag lady, who is so mentally and temporally displaced that sometimes her body follows along.

Johnny and one of his friends help the lady get to the hosp
Aidan O'malley
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Johnny and the bomb," by Terry Pratchett, is a superb book about a young boy, Johnny, who mysteriously wakes up over forty years before he was even born.The date is May 21, 1941, the day German bombs drop on his hometown. Thanks to the knowledge he has gained during school, he quickly realizes this. Johnny is stuck in a huge position whether or not to warn the civilians living there now and save their lives, or let history take its place and have to witness everybody die. This book was well wri ...more
Дени Проданова
Темата за пътуването във времето погледната отгоре, отдолу, отвътре и изобщо откъдето е възмножно да се погледне и разгледа е темата на тази книжка. Определено има хляб за размисъл относто алтернативните вселени, гащите на времето, рибата с картофки и това, колко акъл има в главата на едно 13-годихно хлапе. Джони се самоопределя като тъп, но може би точно там е разковничето. Според мен от много знания в главата на човека не остава място за истината.
Rosie Powell
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother's birthday is today, and as I was wrapping this book (and a few others) I thought '...I haven't read this since I was twelve...' So I'm reading it again. I love Mrs Tachyon. I really need to stop reading children's books. However, it's interesting to see how Pratchett's writing has advanced. His style is terribly similar, but the plots and characters are less complicated and far less clever. Anyway, I'm sure my brother is going to love it.
Lea
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel, kids
While I didn't enjoy this book as much as others Pratchett has written, I will say this: he doesn't dummy anything down for kids. I usually have to look up a word or two in every one of his 'children's novels' and in "Johnny and the bomb', the logic involved in this time travel is mental aerobics, to say the least. I might have enjoyed this more in a different mood.
Chip
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The first half of the book is pretty bad. The humor doesn't work and there is so little detail. But once Johnny takes control, the story starts to improve quite a bit. I don't think I enjoyed the book as much as some of Pratchett's others. Very interesting way of traveling thru time.
Carol
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the trilogy. I quite liked it, although all the time stuff was rather complicated and it took me a while to get. I like how time travel was managed in the book, with not so much when's and where's, but more as places to be.
Michael
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Definitely my favorite out of the Johnny Maxwell trilogy. This comical tale follows Johnny and friends traveling backwards and forwards (and sometimes around) in time to 1941 around the time of the Blackbury Blitz. This story is a funny story with a great plot and is well worth a read.
Magda
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Millenium hand and shrimp!
Kaethe
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beloved
January 18, 2010

Library copy
Michaela
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnny s partiou je späť. Toto je milá a nenáročná knižka o cestovaní v čase. A zase sú tu svojrázne postavičky, nohavice času a nákupné vozíky. Teda, aspoň jeden...
nic306
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly even better than the first two books. TP is really in his element here with Johnny and friends. "I'm suffering from life," he said. "However, I am nearly cured." It was also interesting to see a familiar phrase being used - "Millennium hand and shrimp". Also a reference to 'our Ron' (discworld's Foul Ole Ron?) After reading the last page, I was kinda sorry to see the trilogy come to an end but then again, each book had read as an individual story with no reference at all to the prev ...more
Kevin
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately read a North American edition so words like cookie and trash were incongruously appearing in wartime England. Good luck getting anything sensible dialling 911 as well! References to The Thunderbirds and Flowerpot Men were left intact so surely the American reader would have had much less trouble with biscuit and rubbish! All that aside, this was a gentle Pratchett romp with sly humour at many turns.
Debbie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started with this book because I didn't realize it was the third in a trilogy. It is enjoyable as a stand alone, but I might read the first two volumes anyway because I liked it. I enjoyed the humour and social commentary. Although it's not one of Pratchett's best books, it's a great introduction to him for middle grade reader.
Harry Williams
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books of all time. Read it multiple times and never fails to entertain me. I first read it when I was pretty young and since then I fell in love with Terry Pratchett’s writing. I have a bit of a soft spot for the movie adaption starring Zoe Wanamaker.
Gilberto Tevreden
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vermakelijk boek over een aantal tieners die een stad redden door iets ongewoons te doen.

Leuke humor en vermakelijke personages.

Op naar het volgende boek👍🏾
Alisha
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pratchett was a genius like no other. Of all of his books I've read so far, there was only one I didn't like. He was just so so good.
John
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Data
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally entranced by this book. Yes, I enjoy the tongue-in-cheek fun of the Discworld, but not nearly as much as I loved this. It is really 4.5 stars ... only lacked a tiny smidge of something ... to make it unparalleled in its class.
Erica Mukherjee
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Time travel is a tricky concept. Because time is fluid, or particulate, or static or what have you, it is very difficult to harness its nature and cram it into the solid pages of a novel. Every reader has his own pet theory on the paradoxes that time travel may or may not cause and is therefore apt to be unsatisfied if the author does not subscribe to his personal believes on the matter. Generally any attempt at a dive into the complexities of time travel leaves the author exhausted and the rea ...more
Manuel Chavez
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hello I am going to tell you about Johnny and the Bomb. Also I'm going to tell you about why the conflict is important in the story. this book is good for the past. The genre is mystery. I like this book because it has a lot of twists to it.

The setting of my book is in 1940's. Johnny wanted to help Mrs. Tachyon because she was getting hospitalized. Johnny and four of his friend went to go see Mrs. Tachyon at the hospital but Mrs. Tachyon told them a secret that her black bags can take you bac
What would YOU do? 3 11 Jan 11, 2013 08:55AM
  • The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Ash Road
  • Halinka
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Uncle
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke, #3)
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Brendon Chase

More about Terry Pratchett

Johnny Maxwell (3 books)
  • Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell, #1)
  • Johnny and the Dead (Johnny Maxwell, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons.” 209 likes
“When all else failed, she tried being reasonable.” 27 likes