Start by marking “Gone Fishin'” as Want to Read:
Gone Fishin'

Gone Fishin'

(Easy Rawlins #6)

In the beginning...there was Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins and Raymond "Mouse" Alexander -- two young men setting out in life, hitting the road in a "borrowed" '36 Ford headed for Pariah, Texas. The volatile Mouse wants to retrieve money from his stepfather so he can marry his EttaMae. But on their steamy bayou excursion, Mouse will choose murder as a way out, while Easy's past l ...more
Published September 17th 2002 by Washington Square Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gone Fishin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Fishin'

Thomas
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african-us-crime
4 stars.
This is my first Easy Rawlins book. It takes place in 1939, when Easy is only 19. It opens in Houston, Texas, when Easy's friend Mouse asks Easy to drive Mouse to Pariah, Texas. Mouse is about to get married to Etta. He decides to go to Pariah and demand money from his stepfather Reese. This is a coming of age story with deaths that cause Easy to drink himself almost to death. Mouse teaches Easy his unique way of fishing on the trip.
I have been reading rave reviews of the Easy Rawlins s
Toby
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
Six books in to the history of Ezekial Rawlins we are treated to his origin story, a spontaneous road trip with his violent friend Raymond Alexander to ask his step-daddy for some money for his wedding.

What Mosley has done with this book is throw away the crime and mystery plotting and concentrate on the coming of age nature of the journey, there's much greater focus on what it meant to be a young black man in 1939 Texas, and as such it's a fascinating addition to the series that focuses on what
Josh
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed the previous books in this series. Perhaps some of that came from me not reading the back of the book and getting the important information that this book was a prequel of sorts. As it was, it wasn't until nearly halfway that I realized that something was off. At the beginning, I wondered where Easy's kids were and why everything had turned so sour for him, but abrupt status quo changes aren't unheard of in this series, as time jumps in between books ...more
Donna
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars and this is because I thought the narrator did a great job. He had a great voice that I could listen to all day.

This just wasn't my kind of book. I thought the author painted his characters well enough, but this could have been more detailed. I liked his attention to emotion and actions, it is the everything else that made this 2 stars. The story itself moved really fast. I usually like that, I needed more to get a feel of place and relationships.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
3 1/2 stars

Although this isn't my favorite in the Easy Rawlins series, it did provide an interesting look into the strained and unique connection between Easy, Mouse, and even Etta Mae. It was good to have more background about what makes Easy such a complicated character. But I am looking forward to moving on with a 'real' Easy story!

You can find me at:
•(♥).•*Monlatable Book Reviews*•.(♥)•
Twitter: @MonlatReader
Instagram: @readermonica
Facebook: Monica Reeds
Goodreads Group: The Black Bookcase
Candace Crenshaw
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read'Red Death', 'Devil In A Blue Dress' and 'White Butterfly' over fifteen years ago (!), I have always found Mosly's character portrayals of Mouse and Easy interesting, warmly familiar and nuanced. I've also always wanted to know how Mouse became so 'trigger-happy', quixotic and playful, while Easy somewhat a smooth operator, but with a lot on his mind. Mouse always seemed like a time-bomb, ticking and waiting for the right 'trigger' to set him off. What was the 'loyalty' angle that Mou ...more
CARLEEN
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Occurring in 1939 and prior to Easy and Mouse's adventures that began with Devil In a Blue Dress, Gone Fishing has the reader going on a road trip with the guys to Mouse's hometown, Houston, TX.

Mouse has plans to get some wedding money from his stepfather Reese. The only problem is Reese didn't invite Mouse and doesn't plan on giving Mouse one cent. If you know Mouse, then you know IT'S ON!

Throw in some hitchhikers on the run, a hunchback and a voodoo woman, what could possibly go wrong? This
Matt Phillips
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting novel about Easy and Mouse...A search for meaning in this big old life!
Nick Mann
Walter Mosely’s character, Easy Rawlins, is hands-down, my favorite fictional character. I’ve read a bunch of the Easy Rawlins novels (Black Betty, Devil in a Blue Dress, Little Scarlet, and A Little Yellow Dog) but came upon “Gone Fishin’” afterwards. So it surprised me to find that this is a pre-quill to many of the aforementioned titles. Ezekiel (Easy) isn’t in Watts where most of the action in the other novels takes place. Instead, he’s a teenager in Texas where he and his lifelong buddy, Ra ...more
George
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I was on an Easy Rawlins tear there for awhile. Read each one. This one, though it wasn't apparently published first, was the first one, I believe. In any case, it is Mouse and Easy in their very young days, and is not as polished as the later books. But the craft is still incredible. It's kind of like that first season of "Seinfeld," in literary form. You can see where things are going very vividly, but they are not yet solidified.

I read this years ago, but the one thing I remember is a paragr
Arlene
This story was just a flashback, it was the story that we had only heard pieces of in the previous books, and I was sort of surprised it wasn't more exciting.

It was still a fast read and it gave us a look at both Mouse and Easy when they were just hitting grown men status. Easy, being 19 was dealing with not only having some kind of stomach flu, he was also dealing with the guilt of being involved in this murder and dealing with the fact that his own father had run off on him as a child and loo
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fiction
Recommended to La Tonya by: Sisters With Soul Book Club
Shelves: good-read
This book depicts the beginning of the character Easy Rawlins. It is not written with the same suspense and flair of the author's previous novels. In this story Easy Rawlins is young and impressionable and has a lot of growing to do. But, what makes this novel special is the introduction to voodoo. This is prevalent in the south and takes a hold of the reader. It was hard to understand the spoken word sometimes because the author, Walter Mosley, wanted the reader to feel the flavor of the dialec ...more
Flow Chi Minh
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm only two books in and jumping around a bit, but Walter Mosley's universe is just engrossing to be in. This prequel defines how Easy Rawlins and his buddy Mouse laid the foundation to their bond, definitely a strange beginning that stitches fear with comraderie in layers so close until it's hard to tell the two apart. It's been a long time since I read Devil in a Blue Dress.I can't wait to keep going in this series.
Kenny
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great throwback story in the series...not essential but certainly illuminating tale featuring the earliest history of Easy & Mouse, as well as the original descriptive first encounter between Easy, Mouse and the witch known simply as Mama Jo. Death, discovery, violence and voodoo in the Pariah swamps.
John Devlin
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A root tale of the Ez Rawlins canon, so it has to be read.

A young Ez and Mouse find themselves in the swampy bayou. There's family drama, voodoo or gris-gris, some sex and the enduring relationship of two men who become like brothers.
Kriscrowe
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
It was a quick read, but dark and sometimes just weird. Picked it up from the library for a read on our trip--it read fast and I might pick up another of the Easy Rawlins mysteries to give Mosley another try.
Harley
I love the character of Easy Rawlins. Mosley is one of my favorite mystery writers. I first heard this on audiotape before I read it. Powerful. Listen to it while driving in a car. It will keep you awake.
Steve
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Easy Rawlins novel is actually a prequel to the series. It takes place in Texas in 1939 and fills in details about Easy’s background that have only been touched on in the other books. The relationship between Easy and Mouse is especially focused on.
Mahoghani 23
Easy reading and learning more about the relationship between Easy Rawlins and Mouse.
Kathryn
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
I think this book was written for people who had already fallen in love with the Easy Rawlin's character. It is a chance for them to get to know more about his back story. This was my first Easy Rawlin's book, so I did not have that experience. Easy was the only really likable character. All of the women were either only interested in sex or they were very maternal. The two most well developed women Jo and Etta were both madonna and whore. The story sort of meandered, but Mosley has a gift for d ...more
Terry Graue
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any of Walter Mosley's books and was looking forward to reading this one. Not having any previous familiarity may have been the reason I liked it so much. Since this is the origin story of the 2 main characters, knowing them from the other books in the series may have created too many expectations for this book as I've read in other reviews.
To me the novel was terrific - some scenes were shocking, some were beautiful, and some were just perfect for the moment.
I may have read the e
Cathy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I love mysteries. The good ones are like popcorn. you just float along enjoying the process of consuming them without having to think too hard. There are a few mystery writers who float to the top and right now I put Walter Mosley and Elmore Leonard at the top of the heap for their dialog. Their characters are real because they talk like real people. Movies made from books written by these two often put the words on the page straight into the mouths of actors.

This book explains the start of Eas
Dr T
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Easy Rawlins before he moved from Houston to Los Angeles. It is the story of how Easy went with his friend Mouse to Mouse's childhood home to collect money he felt he was owed by his step-father. But in fact the book sets the stage for the rest of the series by showing conditions and events of his younger days and how they shaped the Easy Rawlins to come. The book gives a clear picture of what things were like for a poor black man in the pre-war (WWII) South. It is a world white people, ...more
Melinda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Gone Fishin is not the usual Easy Rawlins story. We meet the same characters...Mouse is ever present. The roles Mouse & Easy play with and to each other are familiar. Even the events are similar in type as in the other Easy Rawlins stories. Then the reader realizes why it’s the same but different: Gone Fishin’ is the prequel to all the Easy Rawlins books we’ve read.

In this story we meet Easy and Mouse as young men living in Texas with no steady jobs. But one theme that is ever present is VE
Zax
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a No from me

Prequel to the series.
Solid start with good build up to the back story that’s been alluded to in the earlier books.
But (for me), it’s just meanders along and fades out.
Large tracts of dialogue don’t help.
And really all the events have been mentioned in the other books so there seems nothing extra here to add to the characters going forward.
I five starred the previous book (Little Yellow dog), which truly is a great book.
So a very disappointing read this time.

James Fant
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Again, a great Easy Rawlins novel. Not a mystery -- well, not in the truest sense (but you'll see what I mean when you get to the part about Clifton and why Mouse is so interested in him and his love starved girlfriend, Ernestine).

This is a story about the beginnings: Easy's uneasiness around the sour at first Mouse, and for good reason. Their voyage to Pariah. Easy's love of Momma Jo and later his love-sickness. What makes him so thirsty for books and reading and what drew him to California fro
Steve Kreidler
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Let’s call this a solid 3 star book, not quite a 4. Interesting “origin story” of two young friends in 1939, when violence comes calling as part of their coming of age adventure. I have enjoyed a couple of the Easy Rawlings series from Mosley, so this background was interesting if not wholly satisfying.
Brandon Christian
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best of the Rawlins mysteries that I have read thus far. Great imagery, and a story that pulled me in, then carried me along to the world of Easy Rawlins, and by extinction Raymond. This book explains the Easy that is in the following novels: his ambitions, fears, and insecurities. As the story moves along it becomes clear that life has much to teach Easy.
Alisa
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like most of Mosley, he starts of great, sags in the middle, and then stuffs all this wisdom into a sweet, slow conclusion where distills the emotional/human mystery that transpired in the plot...Satisfying.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I really like this series, but this installment just wasn't as compelling of a read for me. It digs into the backstory between Easy and his best friend Mouse and it wasn't as tightly told as the others I have read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Devil's Gonna Get Him (Tamara Hayle, #2)
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • The Heat's On (Harlem Cycle, #6)
  • The Long Dream
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Blanche Passes Go (Blanche White series Book 4)
  • The Color of Night
  • The Blackbirder
  • Harlem Redux
  • George Washington Gomez: A Mexicotexan Novel
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more

Easy Rawlins (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1)
  • A Red Death (Easy Rawlins #2)
  • White Butterfly (Easy Rawlins #3)
  • Black Betty (Easy Rawlins #4)
  • A Little Yellow Dog (Easy Rawlins #5)
  • Bad Boy Brawly Brown (Easy Rawlins #7)
  • Six Easy Pieces (Easy Rawlins #8)
  • Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins #9)
  • Cinnamon Kiss (Easy Rawlins #10)
  • Blonde Faith (Easy Rawlins #11)