Start by marking “Honor in the Dust (Winslow Breed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Honor in the Dust (Winslow Breed, #1)

Honor in the Dust

(Winslow Breed #1)

The grandfather of Christian fiction returns with the story of what happened to the winslow family during an earlier era when the Tudors reigned—tracing the doomed rise of Stuart Winslow within the salacious court of King Henry VIII.

The determined Stuart Winslow will go to any lengths to lift himself and his widowed mother out of poverty. After a distant relative manag
Published August 25th 2009 by Howard Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Honor in the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor in the Dust

Jeanette
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This story is enjoyable to read. It's written simple, simple, almost YA style to emotional life. This is primarily true for the main Winslows, especially to those characters. But also to several others in the plot lines, as well. Thus the emotive continuity, to me, became rather cheesy- not uneven and flawed as in real life but cored by either heroic love or hate. Both off the scales. Tudor reign of Henry VIII is told through fanatic Protestant and/or commoner "eyes" IMHO. Tynesdale and Stuart d ...more
Margaret Chind
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tutor Historical fans
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST Wild Card
"Honor in the Dust" is my first experience reading a book by Gilbert Morris if you can believe that with my loving Christian Historical Fiction, but you can believe that it will not be my last. This being a prequel for a previous Winslow Series, I am excited that there are already some books for me to jump back to as well as being excited for the rest of the Winslow Breed series to come in 2010 and 2011. Set in England in the time period of King Henry VIII makes an interesting background as the ...more
Amanda Geaney
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Painfully slow.
Bonnie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I do not have much to say. This was a non-offensive read about a man's struggle with moral choices in Henry VIII's England.

It felt unpolished and clunky. But I did appreciate the author's point.
Jessica
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
so, this was in interesting one. it's essentially a sort of generic christian fiction set during the time of william tyndale -- who was martyred for daring to translate the bible into the common tongue. i do have to say that the writing and plot were a bit predictable and cheesy at times, but overall i still finished reading it and liked it enough. apparently there's a whole series that follows this family through the years down to the present, but i wouldn't say i'm running out to read the next ...more
Rozanne Macpherson
Turtles?!

I loved this book and enjoyed it tremendously except for one thing! I am a naturalist and when the book mentions turtles, mosquitoes and poisonous snakes it really clashed with my nature. We don't have turtles wild in the UK, we have only one type of poisonous snake and I am pretty sure mosquitoes would not have been mentioned in those days, flies perhaps but not mosquitoes. Sorry to be so picky but it stood out like a sore thumb right in the middle of a great read!
Rachel Hubbard
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
While it wasn’t a great book is was a decent read and it would have gotten more stars except that some of the portions of this book (including a major plot point) are identical to another book written by Morris (first book in the Wakefield Dynasty) so it was quite disappointing.
Harold Walters
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Old-fashioned historical romance.
Victor Gentile
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of interviewing Gilbert Morris, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for his new book, "Honor In The Dust" Book One in the Winslow Breed Series published by Howard Books.

Back in the Seventies Gilbert Morris created a series called "The House Of Winslow" which was designed to bring one family generation by generation from the founding of America all the way to the present. At the present time there are 40 books in that series and it has brought the Winslows up u
Katie
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gilbert Morris, known as the grandfather of Christian fiction, has once again crafted a wonderful story set around the time that William Tyndale began translating the bible into the English language. But the story is not of this brave man who gave his life to bringing the Word of God to the common people. Instead, it is the story of Claiborn and Stuart Winslow’s life. The book begins with Claiborn’s story and then continues on to give Stuart’s life the center stage.

He attracts the at
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Set in the late 15th and early 16th centuries during the time of Henry VIII. Stuart Winslow was born into poverty when his aristocratic father ran away with his mother, the woman his uncle wanted to marry. Raised in a faith-filled home, Stuart learns about God at his father's knee, as well as falconry and weapons design. When his skills attract the attention of the king, Stuart is delighted to find himself a part of the royal court. He soon learns, however, that the court is a place of wickednes ...more
Michelle
Honor in the Dust blew me away. I was totally enthralled by the book and didn't want to put it down. I don't think I've ever read a book by Gilbert Morris before, though my husband has and he seemed to enjoy the stories. Now I can see why.

This novel truly impressed me. For people who love reading about King Henry VIII and his many problems having a son, his issues with the church, and his numerous affairs, this will definitely fit that taste. However, the book is more about God using William Ty
Ruth
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I have read almost all of the books (30 of the 40) in Gilbert Morris' House of Winslow series, and this book is the first in the Winslow Breed Trilogy that is a prequel to the House of Winslow. All of these books detail the struggle, conversion, and cause of a specific member of the Winslow family tree. Honor in the Dust is no different from Morris' other books, in the journey of Stuart Winslow during Tudor England. This book was fun to read partly because I like historical fiction and partly be ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, us-marines
Honor in the Dust starts with a brief overview of the Spanish-American War. The final 80% deals with the role of American operations and the political climate in regards to the Philippines. The Marines role on Samar are also discussed. While American atrocities are high lighter those of the Philippine forces are glossed over. Despite the obvious bias, this work is a good overview of the Filipino fight for independence under American rule.
Brian
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Preety good story with ok characters. Loved the interaction and story regarding the conversion of both Father and later son. Would love more books in this timeline/ genre with out all the skipping around between generations.
Missy
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any lover of christian fiction and/or historical fiction
I really enjoyed this book..wonderful writing and wonderful story line. At the center of it all was the theme that God is sovereign and when we submit to HIS will, all things work together for good. I can't wait to finish the series :)
Lorna
Nov 24, 2009 marked it as to-read
#1 in the Tudor series by this author. He always writes inspirational historical fiction that captures the time and the imagination.
Marris
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it was a little odd because almost the whole story, except for the beginning, followed the same story as a book in a different series by him, almost to the word.
Alissa
Not as good as some of his other books, but was still an enjoyable read.
Ginny Reed
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The Tudor family history has always fascinated me! I'm looking forward to the next book in this series!
Lori Goins
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Okay, This is next Month's Choice to read. I thought I would get a head start and with the weather so nice I love to take time to read outside. Hope you are taking the time to read a great book too!
Alice
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
love love love this book!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥
Deborah
mary quinn
Jun 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 19, 2015 07:02PM

• The Lady of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #3)
  • The Falcon and the Sparrow
  • The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck (Women of the West, #3)
  • Threads of Hope (Fabric of Time #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • A Matter of Character (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #3)
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • Nightingale (Brothers in Arms, #2)
  • In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)
  • Guns of Thunder (Faith and Freedom #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • His Watchful Eye
  • The Baron's Honourable Daughter
  • The Orphan King (Merlin's Immortals, #1)
  • Sarah's New World: The Mayflower Adventure
  • Fallen From Babel
  • Out of the Storm

Winslow Breed (3 books)
  • When the Heavens Fall (Winslow Breed, #2)
  • As the Sparks Fly Upward (Winslow Breed, #3)