Start by marking “I Know the River Loves Me/Yo se que el rio me ama” as Want to Read:
I Know the River Loves Me/Yo se que el rio me ama

I Know the River Loves Me/Yo se que el rio me ama

Whenever Maya visits the river, the river jumps up to greet her. It cools her when the summer sun is too hot and holds her up when she dives in. It keeps her company in the quiet of winter. The river takes care of Maya and Maya takes care of the river. In this charming story about the wonders of nature presented in both English and Spanish, Maya Christina Gonzalez uses her ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Children's Book Press

To ask other readers questions about I Know the River Loves Me/Yo se que el rio me ama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know the River Loves Me/Yo se que el rio me ama

L13 Tracy Beling
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my daughters before they went to bed and they loved it! They really understood the figurative language in the story. They also liked hearing it in Spanish, too. The illustrations are amazing the way they make her and the river almost seem as if they are one. Giving the river such human characteristics allows the reader to0 feel as if he/she is also best friends with the river. I would use this book to teach personification to my students.
Aaron
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a beautifully illustrated poetic picture book that describes a child's relationship with the river.
Cindy
El rio de mi vida..

A bilingual children's book that is beautifully illustrated. A book for those of us who have grown up near a river or those of us who love nature.
hhhhhhhhh
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
i'm reading this for our earth day storytime.
Danielle Bell
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful lyrics.
Community metaphor.
We give and receive.
Emily
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd
Great Earth Day themed book for young ones.
Michelle
Freakin adorable.
Christine
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice book for Earth Day! "The river takes care of me and I take care of the river. I only leave behind what already belongs to her."
Angel
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Beautiful art work!
Celeste Lopez Mendez
Genre: Fantasy
This story is written in both English and Spanish. Although the illustrator doesn't use color to illustrate the girl, she does an amazing job with her bone structure making the character seem very realistic. The rest of the book is colored very vivid and alive. This story is about a little girl named Maya that has a very close bond to the river. However, it doesn't have a problem nor a resolution which is because it's a short children's book.
Christy McLaughlin
I Know the River Loves me is a loving book about a girl named Maya in love with the river. The river welcomes her and holds her up when she dives in. The river is Maya's best friend and keeps her cool during the summer months. Maya loves the river because the river loves Maya. Maya Christina Gonzalez writes of a story of her youth and her love of not only the river but nature in general. She treats the river as one would treat a friend. It gives the lesson of friendship and inclusion. The subtle ...more
Nicole
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I walked by it a few times at the ALA exhibit hall in June, and each time, couldn't take my eyes off of it. [You know when a book calls to you like that, it is not be missed.:] Maya Christina Gonzalez has written a bilingual picture book (English/Spanish) that deserves the Pura Bellpre Honor nod that it received. The illustrations are gorgeous, with an artistic quality, and the story itself is simple and beautiful.

As the title implies, the basic story is a little girl
Dora
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A 2010 Americas Honorable book.
This bilingual text is about a girl and her relationship with a river. Throughout the story, the river is personified and filled with emotion. The text is creatively placed so that it interweaves with the illustrations. Very touching and appropriate for any age!

On a side note, when I Googled this title to find a read aloud version, I found this idea of a story line where the book is translated in various languages. The library has people call a number and you hear
Milena
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This rich and beautiful bilingual book is captivating in all the ways possible. The drawings and colors of the illustrations are gorgeous. The language is rich to the point of creating a multi-sensorial experience on every page. Gonzalez's story is successful in sharing and expressing the love and connection between humans and their natural environments, and I think this is a very important issue to address with children. Like a river, this story flows. One very small observation: It needs editi ...more
Linda
In this gorgeous book, young girl Maya shares all the different ways that she knows the river loves her. She says “When I jump on her back she holds me up.” and “The river takes care of me and I take care of the river.” Water (the river) swirls throughout the pages, sometimes with fish in the water, often with clouds overhead and a lovely sky. She writes, "we flow together'.
Bridget
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best children's book I've ever read. My two year old daughter agrees. The illustrations are gorgeous, creative and colorful. The story portrays a relationship between a girl and the river she loves; it invokes a sense of stewardship for rivers and a kinship with nature. I plan on giving this book at all baby showers from now on. LOVE IT!
Crystal
This is a beautiful book and I am definitely buying a copy. The river is vibrant and gorgeous in all of the illustrations. There is joy and beauty throughout the book too. I'm so glad that I was able to read this and meet the author.
Robin