Start by marking “Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)

Never Love A Lawman

(Reidsville #1)

Never Love A Lawman delivers a thrilling tale of small town greed that may have big time consequences- unless two strangers open their hearts to a highly unconventional agreement…

Rachel Bailey may seem like just a beautiful newcomer to most of Reidsville, Colorado, but Sheriff Wyatt Cooper knows she's much more. Through a twist of fate, Rachel is the inheritor of a very
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Never Love A Lawman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Love A Lawman

Start your review of Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Wow.

Well, I've just found another fav author :)

LOVE the writing. Just love it.
-ya
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
3.5-stars
I really enjoy The Last Renegade, my first book from Jo Goodman. (ps: check out Jill review.) Like the Last Renegade, the best features in here are the writing style, characterization, and the slow-burn romance that may begin awkwardly ends on a delicious, heartfelt HEA.

What’s awesome in the Last Renegade and Never Love a Lawman?

5-stars charming, loyal heroes: They beat the villains not with guns and muscles, but with their intelligences.

Witty dialogue
Character-driven
No insta-love
Catherine
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While this book wasn't my favorite by Jo Goodman I definitely enjoyed it. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. Jo Goodman has a definite talent for making every dialogue exchange seem meaningful and filled with undercurrents. Most all of the conversations Rachel and Wyatt had seemed to be filled with sly wit and dry humor. They were muted, but definitely there.

I love how the characters are as much of a mystery to the reader as they are to each other. I enjoy watching the
jenjn79
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
Rating: 2.5 / 5

This book was a total random buy for me (something I don't do much of lately). I saw it at the grocery store book section. The cover caught my eye and the synopsis sounded interesting...though the hefty thickness of the book made me a little indecisive. But I bought it...and though I won't say it was a total waste, I will say I probably wouldn't buy it again if I had to do it over.

Summary:
I'm going to skip the extended summary this time because I think the one on the book page
This is my least favourite Jo Goodman book to date. The humour and witty banter were there, but it seems that Goodman's engaging storytelling couldn't save this story. It was boring and dragged on for a long time. I read other reviewers say the same thing before I decided to start this book, thinking that it wouldn't be me who found this book boring. Boy, was I wrong. Maybe it was the needlessly convoluted drama surrounding the h and her backstory, sudden inheritance, and eleventh hour ...more
Anja
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-az, c
3.75 stars.

The first 60% of the book is spent showing the development of the romance. There was a lot of dry, witty dialogue between the hero and heroine and I was smiling all through the reading. They have tons of chemistry and I was hooked. The book was working its way into 5 star territory.

Then the focus turned toward the plot revolving around the inheritance Rachel received and the reason for her marriage to Wyatt. I felt like the pace slowed down even though I think it probably actually
Mara
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
This book has one main fault: it's boring beyond belief. But I trudged along as I had just DNFed an other of her books for the same reason. I admit I felt petty and forced myself to keep reading.

An unfortunate experience, alas. The book is boring to the bitter end. It improves maybe in the last pages, if it does. All of this highlights the clichés the author uses, above all the structure of the romance, exactly the same of some of her other books I read (view spoiler)
Keri
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The byplay between Wyatt and Rachel was really fun, as two really smart people trades quips hiding the fact of just how smart they were. Antoher wonderful read and I can't wait to read the next one.
Kim H
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
While I did enjoy this story, it's not quite right. It has a decent plot & the interaction between the H&H, while it's slow getting started, heats up nicely in the second half. It's just muzzy somehow. Character development isn't very distinctive, and what internal monologue there is doesn't reveal all that much. I had to draw too many conclusions based on what's apparent from dialogue and behavior; there's not enough narrative to it & too much of the backstory is revealed through ...more
Misfit
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rachel Bailey might think she's buried the secrets of her past in Sacramento when she moved to the small mountain town of Reidsville, Colorado, but the past comes back with a vengeance when she inherits the local railway spur and half the local mine from her former benefactor. But there's a catch, as one of the terms of the will says she has to marry Sheriff Wyatt Cooper, or it all goes back to her benefactor's grandson (and he's an evil evil baddie). Well, this being a romance and all sparks ...more
A (Is For Awkward)
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I remember having problems with this one the first time I read it, but if anything it bothers me more now. Specifically, a man pushing himself into a woman's house (and life) repeatedly "for her own good" is one of the most offensive romance themes out there. It ruined an otherwise decent book for me, especially because there was no need for it in terms of plot or even character development. He was pushy for the sake of being pushy, and I am so not interested in reading that.
Linda
First, I have to mention that I have never read a book by this author before and I am not sure why. I have come across her name but, honestly, I categorized Ms. Goodman with many of the writers that first published romances in the mid-80's, someone to look at one day when I have the time. No rush, no foul.

Well, I was wrong with this POV. Maybe I just got lucky but I am going to have to look for more books by this author. NEVER LOVE A LAWMAN epitomizes what I love when I read a juicy romance.

The
Naksed
I really enjoy the author's writing style and the romance between the two protags, thrown together in a marriage of convenience, was a delightful slow burn that really paid off. However, there were lengthy portions of the book that were boring, including an excruciatingly slow-paced beginning. A plot about a cartoonish villain who drops in on the idyllic life of H and h was so OTT and punctuated by one TSTL moment after another, that it really took away from my enjoyment. The ending ultimately ...more
SheLove2Read
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2010
I ended up not finishing this book. Its not a bad book per se, just slow and excruciatingly "average". I finally gave up out of sheer boredom.
Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Wow. I picked this book up just to skim the first few pages, and I could not put it down. I’ve not read Ms. Goodman before. Have a feeling I’ve been missing quite a number of good books. But I’m now determined to find out what it is I have been missing all this time. Any book I come across by Ms. Goodman is being promoted to the top of the TBR pile.

The first thing I have to mention in reading this story is how things are not what they seem, as evidenced by the prologue right out of the gate. I
Blackjack
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Never Love a Lawman, Jo Goodman (B+) - Another solid one from probably my most consistent "comfort"-reading author. As with most Goodman novels, I enjoyed the steady and reliable hero and the prickly heroine who has hidden reasons for her reserve. Wyatt is nicely attuned to Rachel's feelings and is often displayed as a strategic player in their relationship, which is fun to witness. I like heroes that work hard for their romance, and Goodman almost never fails in this respect.

I did have some
Sue
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: westerns
Really a 2.25, honestly I'm surprised this series had a 2nd book. The first is not even all that great at table setting, missed the mark by a lot. BUT because I had read and enjoyed the second book I pushed forward.

The second book Marry Me set the hook early and kept reeling me in. Definitely a much better book. Bypass this one and read the second.
D.L.
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Ultimately, this book is a DNF... for now. I can see myself picking it up in the future. I enjoyed it enough while I was reading it. The problem was it constantly failed the put down/pick up test, and after a week away from the story, I seemed to be spending more time trying to remember what happened in past pages.

So while Wyatt held a lot of promise as a hero, and I have yet to learn Rachel's secret, I will remain in suspense.
Lyuda
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Wonderful western character driven romance with strong hero and heroine. Their chemistry is palpable, their interactions both witty and poignant. Secondary characters are well and realistically portrayed. The author has a gift of transporting you in time to the little town in Colorado at the end of 19th century. The only thing that made me lower the rating is the second part of the story went way too long.
Janet
I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it: it was too long and too dispassionate. Jo Goodman is hit and miss for me ... I often feel like there's a barrier between me (the reader) and the plot. Not a great explanation but there it is.

Edited to add, and not to be picky, but it just occurred to me: I don't care for Houses of Ill Repute where all the ladies have hearts of gold and the madam is just as delightful as she can be. Come on. That's supposed to be realistic?
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I really liked this one (though the cover is atrocious). It's a better version of the plot she did for the second book in her Bitter Springs series, except that it's actually coherent. The beginning threw me a little, it was a little ehhhhh, but the rest of the book was adorable! And her character interactions were lovely!
Sej
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
It's been awhile since I read a JG book and since I've been in the mood for westerns, I was excited to read this book. However, I felt like it was lacking somehow. I'm used to JG delivering books that are packed with emotion and deep love. I didn't feel it here. In the end it all comes down to me making a connection with the characters and I just couldn't get in there.
Libby
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
No. boring. Boring. Boring. And don't get me started on the opening scene. Yeah, like I really want my hero quietly lusting after the heroine from the balcony of the whore he is in the process of screwing. No. Just no.
Kaetrin
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, ebook, western
From my blog 28/11/10:

I really like Jo Goodman's books - I bought this one shortly after it came out but for some reason, it languished on my TBR until recently. Marry Me, Reidsville #2 is just out and it's winging its way to me as I write. I thought I'd better read book 1 first. The only other Jo Goodman books I've read have been mainly set in England and I haven't read a lot of historical Westerns so that's maybe why it took me so long.

What it's about: The book starts off with a mysterious
Amy
I found Rachel and Wyatt's story set in fictional mining town Reidsville, Colorado quite endearing. Rich characters with several plot twists that is classic Goodman style. Of all the "mail order bride" type stories this one takes the cake for ingenuity and being far removed from the formulaic approaches other authors I've read take. All the elements of a good western romance are here - a bank robbery, coal-powered steam train, mining town, bad guys, heros and sheros.
Pauline Reardon
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Goodman's Westerns

I've been reading No Goldman's books for a long time now and I've enjoyed each one more than the last. Her westerners were a new slant. The characters are wonderful, clever, humorous and warm. This one had enough twists and turns to keep me hooked from first page to last. A really good read, highly recommended.
Amy
2.75 Stars.Read this because Reidsville #2 sounded good and #1 was at the library, so why not...

I never felt like I was pulled into this story, and there were a few interlocking pieces that didn't quite feel like they worked properly. I'll read another Jo Goodman but it'll really have to impress me if I'm going to try anything after that.
Emily
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love a Good Cowboy Romance.

Wyatt was the picture of the perfect cowboy lawman, and Rachel was a strong counterpart. The story flowed well and there was enough suspense to keep your attention. This is the first title that I have read of Ms. Goodman. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Nanette
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
She writes well but I don’t like her style that much.
Hilcia
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Never Love a Lawman is set in the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado and the events take place in 1882. A spur of the California & Colorado Railroad Company (the C&C) is the only thing keeping it from becoming a ghost town. Those short railway miles linking Denver to Reidsville give the miners and townspeople access to goods. In turn they use the railway as a fast and efficient way to transport their gold and silver.

Clinton Maddox, owner of the C&C and a partner with interest
« previous 1 3 next »

• Boots Under Her Bed
  • Without Words
  • Mountain Magic (Daring Western Hearts Series, #3)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Silverhills
  • The Rancher's Proposal (The Montana McGregor Brothers, #3)
  • The Rancher's Secret Love (The Montana McGregor Brothers Book 2)
  • Wind River Protector
  • The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • The Best Friend's Billionaire Brother: A Caprock Canyon Romance Book One
  • Christmas Bargain, The
  • Farraday Country: Sweet and Clean Contemporary Romance Boxed Set Books 1-3
  • SEAL's Bride (Small Town SEALs #1)
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Montana Maverick (Bear Grass Springs Book 3)
  • The Rancher's Redemption (The Millers of Morgan Valley Book 2)
  • The Devil's Love
  • Silver Lining
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely ...more

Reidsville (2 books)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
“She hesitated. “I’m not sure I understand.”
“Don’t you?” he asked. “You changed my heart, Rachel.”
She felt her throat constrict, making any reply impossible.
“Rachel?” Her silence rarely made him uncomfortable, but this time he had no clear view of her features and no way to gauge her reaction. He wondered if he should have made a more straightforward declaration. “Did you hear me say I love you?”
She turned her cheek into his shoulder. “I heard you.”
2 likes