Start by marking “Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear” as Want to Read:
Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear

Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  8,726 Ratings  ·  443 Reviews
Each sunrise seems to bring fresh reasons for fear.

They're talking layoffs at work, slowdowns in the economy, flare-ups in the Middle East, turnovers at headquarters, downturns in the housing market, upswings in global warming. The plague of our day, terrorism, begins with the word terror. Fear, it seems, has taken up a hundred-year lease on the building next door and set
Published September 8th 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless

Fylvia Kline
Fearless arrived in the mail at 2 pm today. Four hours, several snacks and a few pillow fluffings later, I’ve come to the last page. And I feel affirmed of my normalcy, of my humaness. I also feel encouraged about tomorrow and what it could bring. The book has challenged me to take fear on with the power of God’s presence

If you are a Christian feeling the brunt of life–death, recession, disappointment, whatever–and are afraid, this is a must-read, an investment to a better future. Of course, it
John
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it

Fear.

Everyone knows that name.

You can see it on the face of a startled infant; you can see it in the eyes of a dying man. Fear is one of the inescapable consequences of being human.

Or is it?

Is it possible to live without fear?

Max Lucado says we can fight fear, and learn to live without its life-draining presence, as we learn to trust in Christ.

His newest book, Fearless, examines fear and how we can combat it. Starting with the nature of fear, he deals chapter by chapter with a wide variety
Seth
Mar 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: christianity
I had never read a Max Lucado book before Fearless. Not that I was unfamiliar with his name; it’s hard to recall a Christian home I entered during childhood that didn’t have at least one of his books on a shelf. So I had high expectations for the quality of spiritual depth and practical insight I hoped to encounter while reading this one. Unfortunately, I came away disappointed.

I suppose the book succeeds at its goal—to discuss humanity’s relationship with fear in all aspects of our lives and in
Kim Hampton
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado uses Bible verses and stories to show us that as long as we fear God, we don't need to fear anything else.
Bryon
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

inShare
"We fear being sued, finishing last, going broke; we fear the mole on the back, the new kid on the block, the sound of the clock as it ticks us closer to the grave," writes Max Lucado in his latest book "Fearless."

Whether rational or irrational, we live in a world and a time in history that startles and alarms us. Author and pastor Max Lucado writes to remind us that this is neither necessary nor productive, but he doesn't chide or ridicule the reader.

You may think you're fearless. But,
Chris Hyde
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For many years, I read each of Max Lucado’s books as they came out. After all, Max Lucado is one of the most widely-read Christian authors of our time. I loved his books. But after a while, I have to be honest, I got bored of his books. They just seemed like they were “same old, same old”. So I went for a long time without reading his newer releases. But then came the opportunity to read an advance copy of his latest book, “Fearless”. I thought, “OK…I’ll try one of his books again.”

“We are peppe
Lori
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed many Max Lucado books, but I have to admit I am not a Max Lucado die-hard fan. For me many of his books began to run together and sound the same. I say that to tell you how much I loved Fearless by Max Lucado. I could not put the book down. Fear is something I struggle with, you name it I am sure I had some fear over it.

God makes it clear that if we as Christians are going to live a life of faith, we need to trust and step out into the unknown. Unfortunately to do that you need to
Win Itmama
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Imagine your life, wholly untouched by angst. What if faith, not fear, was your default reaction to threats? If you could hover a fear magnet over your heart and extract every last shaving of dread, insecurity, or doubt, what would remain? Envision a day, just one day, where you could trust more and fear less.”

I’ve never read a Christian book, better yet ANY religious book, besides the Bible. So when I read the words “Religion/Christian Life” as the category for Fearless by Max Lucado… I must a
Sid Frost
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I went to the Writers' League of Texas Agents Conference last month. At one of the sessions I heard about how bloggers can get free books from publishers in return for reviews. One publisher mentioned in particular was Thomas Nelson. I knew this company published Christian books so I contacted them and was approved to do reviews.

When asked, I specified Christian Fiction because that would fit best with The Christian Bookmobile. However, when I checked in to request a book, the only one availabl
Jessica
I really loved this book by Max Lucado. It was right up there with my other favorite of his, "Facing Your Giants."

This book, as you can guess by the title, is all about conquering fear. When I first picked it up, I thought it would be more of a generic, overall look at fear. Kind of like looking at everything overall and just evaluating fear itself and ways to overcome it. Instead, what I found was a very in-depth look at all the different kinds of fear, and doubt, that Christians face in today'
Donna
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Faith over fear. "Fearless," by Max Lucado, offers practical solutions and Scripture to life's challenges. What is fear? It is really a lack of the ability to control the outcome to a situation. This wonderful book looks at our fears over children, money, the unknown, life, and death. He lists Scripture with each situation to help underscore the fact that God is with us ALL the time. We aren't alone and God's peace can alleviate our fear. Is it really that easy? -with practice leaning on the ev ...more
Janet
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"I recommend Fearless to anyone who is tired of doom and gloom and ready to step out of fear once and for all."

- Dave Ramsey, The Dave Ramsey Show

Imagine Your Life Without Fear

How would you like to live your life fearless? We live in a day and time where we are scared to turn the corner because we just don't know where it may take us. You turn on the television, pick up the paper or answer you phone and all you see, hear or read about something that can cause fear to your life.

Max has written a
Britni
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fearless is about how to deal with and replace all sorts of fears with faith. The book is being released today so it's written in an extremely scary time for many people. From the fear of not being liked, to fear of financial failure, to fear of being eaten by a shark, Lucado covers them all. And gives suggestions for ways to overcome these fears by trusting in God and doing all we can do and realizing He is the only one who can really control everything.

I really enjoyed this book. There is some
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book provides an answer for the worries of daily life, and Max Lucado writes with a distinctive voice: funny in some places, serious in others, and comforting throughout. I laughed out loud in a few places, and I was delighted as his ability to take an austere topic, specifically a Bible passage, and relay it with both respect and hilarity.

My only complaint is that although the book addresses aspects of secular life that may cause fear, such as deaths, alcohol addictions, financial struggle
Vanda Denton

From constant worrying to losing a child and into an acrobatic flight with training for use of an ejector seat, Max Lucado writes with a deep comprehension of all fears humans face. He has an excellent grasp of psychology, uses vivid analogies and just the right level of humour. This is only the third book I have given a five star rating. It’s what I save my five stars for. Ican’t recommend this bookhighly enough. Readit. Enjoy it. And learn. My next Max Lucado bookis ready and waiting.
Stefanie
This book was amazing! I was in the progress of writing my full review for it but stopped half-way and left it sitting in my draft unfinished. Will definitely post my complete thought about this book when I get the chance to finish it. But I hope my 5-star rating is enough to encourage you to read this inspiring book! :D
Justin Nichols
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It had been a while since I cracked a Lucado book. Glad I did, and reminded me why I used to read his stuff so often a decade or more ago. 'Fearless' was a good read-- encouraging, insightful, poetic, and helpful. God's been teaching me a lot about fearlessness, boldness, and how to maintain a mindset of victorious courage in the face of failures, sicknesses, deaths, hopelessness, and apathy. He's taking me back to when I walked completely in God confidence ("God-fidence"? lol).

I recommend this
Gina
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good beginning and ending, I'm not sure about everything in between. It feels draggy to read somehow but the contents are real.
Bex Montgomery
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: aurelia-reviews
About Fearless:
Seeking to calm a world increasingly plagued by fear and anxiety, Max Lucado tackles the subject of fear with this inspirational title, identifying common fears of the day, and offering spiritual advice for overcoming our fears.

The Review:
As someone who has suffered from anxiety and fear most of my life, I often seek out books on the subject. This was one that I had acquired years ago for review, and had slipped through the cracks. I’m not a religious person, though there was a ti
Katie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book is probably great for people who have a few, vague fears from time to time. But if you're looking for something to help you overcome deep-seeded fears and trust problems, you are definitely in the wrong place.

Basically, Fearless addressed approximately ten different fears you might have in a very shallow way. Using text from the Bible of Jesus telling people (usually the disciples) not to be afraid, Max Lucado elaborated on why being afraid is unbiblical, usually through a
Adam Shields
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Short review: The basic format was a chapter for a specific type of fear. Then Lucado would talk about why we should not fear this particular thing. In general I think it was ok, but it was repetitive and there were a few chapters where I strongly disagreed.

I agree that the topic is relevant, I know many people that seem to fear everything. Lucado was biblical and gave good relevant stories to illustrate his point, but the point was basically the same with every chapter that you just need to tr
Jonathan Barisano
Mar 31, 2014 is currently reading it
Why do we fear?
“Fear may fill our world, but it doesn’t have to fill our hearts. It will always knock on the door. Just don’t invite it in for dinner, and for heaven’s sake don’t offer it a bed for the night.” Why do we fear? Do we need to? The answer is no. “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” (Matt. 8:26). This book really explains why we don’t need to be fearful. But have in mind it is NOT a sin, but it can lead to it. If you have faith, what is there to fear? Like it says in Romans
Tracie Yule
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: need-help
Fearless is about living out life without fear and trusting in God to help take those fears away. Each chapter reviews a common fear and Lucado dissects it, then tells us how to live with it and eventually banish it.

I love the cover of the novel and, while, Lucado does not go over any specific moments of "aha" for me, the book did remind me that there is much in this life that I cannot control and for those things, I need to let go and give them up to God.
Bonnie Palmer
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We did this book in a women's Bible study setting and it was fabulous. Max Lucado is a wonderful author with a great sense of humor. I will read this book again and savor it slowly. When doing the study we had to read three chapters a week so it was a bit rushed. This was one of those books that has changed my life.
Dawn
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way this guy thinks. Great examples of life in comparison to the bible and plenty of food for thought. Very inspirational and he has great advice on how to handle life's twist and turns. None of that mooshy-gooshy-over the top-religious stuff some power pastors try to pull on you.
Dmack
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: my-christian
Once again love Lucado; does an awesome job of looking at just about every imaginable fear that affects us today and addresses them in a simple yet profound way that is not only easy to read; easy to relate but Biblically based as well. Would recommend to anyone.
Jennah
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: half-read
I did not care for this book very much. I didn't like that he used about 4 different versions of the Bible, and 3 of them I have never heard of. He also doesn't incorporate God and the Bible very much in this book.
Carôle Ceres
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're fearful - about anything - this is the book for you!

Max Lucado has a God given talent for teaching the God's Word in such a way that 20th & 21st century citizens can be guided to God in a language & method they understand.
Michael Henning
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully encouraging book read when I needed encouragement. I appreciated this book very much. I highly recommend it!
Chris Bray
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A good book on breaking through fear in our lives, some chapters I just wanted more...can't really explain it.
Discussion Guide 4 20 Oct 19, 2014 04:58PM
  • How to Hear From God: Learn to Know His Voice and Make the Right Decisions
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Get Off Your Knees and Pray: A Woman's Guide to Life-Changing Prayer
  • The Journey: Living by Faith in an Uncertain World
  • Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be: A 90-Day Guide to Living the Proverbs 31 Life
  • What Happens When Women Walk in Faith: Trusting God Takes You to Amazing Places
  • The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn't Exist
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • The Name
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • Your Beautiful Purpose: Discovering and Enjoying What God Can Do Through You
  • Heaven
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...

“Feed your fears and your faith will starve. Feed your faith, and your fears will.” 206 likes
“Can you imagine a life with no fear? What if faith, not fear, was your default reaction to threats?” 129 likes