Start by marking “Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)

Dead Renegade

(A Loon Lake Mystery #10)

Loon Lake Police Chief Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne are back for yet another adventure from everybody's favorite northern Wisconsin murder capital. This marks the tenth book in the Loon Lake mystery series.
Published November 1st 2009 by Bleak House Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Renegade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Renegade

Start your review of Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
Eileen Lynx
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful series.
Renee
I enjoyed the characters, setting & easy-going pace of this cozy mystery. Fun read. (Mild language, no gratuitous descriptions.)

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
IslandRiverScribe
For some ten books now in the Loon Lake series, Victoria Houston has crafted murder mysteries that can best be described as “cozies.” The town of Loon Lake and its surrounding water-filled environs are a mecca for fishing enthusiasts as well as for wealthy seasonal residents seeking refuge from their big-city lives. Therefore, great opportunity always exists for robberies, fraud and assorted mayhem to be sorted out by Doc Osborne and his girlfriend, Chief of Police Lew Ferris.

The boo
Bryan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful setting (Loon Lake) and characters (Lew, Doc, and Ray). Always fun reads. Short 187 pages, pricey (both new and used), and hard to find locally. I have one more on the self, then I'm done .
Norma
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Family, money, revenge creates this Loon Lake Mystery. The Schradtke brothers are always hustling for jobs, money and their mother's favor. When Bobby Schradtke is paroled, trouble is all that Lewellyn Ferris, chief of police, can foresee. Not to mention the new Chicago guy who seems to be swindling the local elderly ladies out of their money with some fast talking shady deal. As usual Doc Osborne and Ray Pradt join in the crime solving. Dead Renegade is full of murderous intrigue and fly fishin ...more
Julie
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Dr. Osborne, retired dentist, who helps Lew, the Chief of Police, finds a skull buried in an old rug while helping his daughter with something. Meanwhile, he also sees an ex-con back in town that caused lots of problems in earlier years even something that affected one of his daughters. And then...a rich man is found dead.

Always interesting writing and mystery and Loon Lake characters plus a lot about fishing.
Joan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doc finds body parts inside an old rolled up carpet in an antique store while helping his daughter Erin reclaim a dental cabinet that her client's deceased husband had left on consignment.

The owner of a financial company is cheating seniors and abusing his wife, C.J. Local businesses are being robbed by thieves who saw holes in the roof.

Teri Pre
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This is the first book in this series that disappointed me. It seemed as if Ms. Houston wasn't sure which direction to go in, so she didn't go in any. I really hope #11 is better.
Annie
A most ezcellent 5 star read! I have "set my hook" for this little town and this little series
Patricia
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While searching the basement of Bart Nystrom’s antique store with his daughter, Erin and her client Catherine Higgins, Doc Osborne unrolls an old carpet and finds a body. The corpse has evidently been hidden in the old carpet for years. The search is for an item belonging to Catherine Higgins and the last thing the group expected to find was a body. Doc immediately puts in a call to Police Chief Lew Harris and the antique store is temporarily closed.

Doc welcomes the chance to call Lew since he
Barb Heart
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This was our book clubs monthly choice. We have read her Loon Lake Series before and liked. She was the author of choice to come to speak at the yearly session that is promoted through the art center. I didn't get to meet her -- but I heard she was delightfully funny. Being a Rhinelander native and knowing some of the details of the wisconsin lakes, law, and medicine/pathaology makes her a more interesting author to read. Her characters are all the same -- they have a good plot. A Body is usuall ...more
Ann
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as previous books in the series. I liked the main characters, and the northern Wisconsin setting, but there were way too many subplots going on. There were a couple murders, of course, but the author also touched on domestic abuse, a series of burglaries, financial scamming of the elderly, sibling rivalry, sexual molestation and bullying, all jammed into a shorter than usual book, skimmed over, then quickly wrapped up neatly in the last few pages.
Roxann
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was very short compared to the others in the series. Lots of little things going on in the story. Everything was ended by the conclusion of the book. The main characters remained strong, but in this book the new characters were not developed. I didn't feel anything when the character C.J. got a double skull fracture. Not Houston's best book.
karen davis
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Renegade

I love these tales of murder with their fishing thrown in for relief. The characters make it a fun read though this antagonist was so nasty. Such a good story and wrapped up neatly with no loose ends. I never want them to end.
Alex
Nicely written, but I'm not quite as charmed by the characters as I would need to be to keep going with this series. Knowing that this is the shortest of them does not compel me to want to read the author again. 3.5/5.0
Glenda
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good cozy mystery series.
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Totally hooked on Victoria Houston's books! Fun and very clever.
Dot Heimer
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this series-after working many years in a Dental office like Doc Osborne and the rest of the characters.
Amy Jensen
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This book seemed less complex than the others in the series, so I didn't like it as much.
TeriC
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Light summer reading. The setting is in Wisconsin so its fun to read from that standpoint.
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This book in the Loon Lake Mystery series just didn't draw me in like past books in the series have.
Kitty Tomlinson
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
An old body, wrapped up in a rug in an antique shop basement is discovered and ties in with other murders. Good read.
Doug
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened
I think this was the best of her books so far. Really enjoyed the read.
Dave
Mar 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not good. Gave up after 40 pages
Tara
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was an enjoyable, very quick read. But it didn't get me excited about the author's other books. It's fun that it takes place in Wisconsin though.
Betsy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
These Loon Lake mysteries are like potato chips, but I'm learning so much about musky and bluegill fishing!
Rachel
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
A friend in book club loaned this to me. It wasn't a downer, surprisingly!, but it tried to do much and impart too much wisdom for the amount of pages.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Not the best book in the series, but still a good read.
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Short sweet and straight to the point. I enjoyed it.
Diane
Sep 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Desperate Creed (Ryder Creed #5)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Secrets We Keep (Callaways Cousins #6 & Callaways #14)
  • Red Notice (Tom Buckingham, #1)
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Spring's Promises
  • Finding Positano, A Love Story
  • The Hope Diamond (A Sweet, Delicious, Madness Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Birchbark House
  • The Cat of the Baskervilles (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • Hokus Pokus (Sisterhood #9; Rules of the Game #2)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)
  • But Not Foreboding (Clint Wolf Mystery #12)
  • Mountain Angel (Northstar Angels, #1)
  • Summer Angel (Northstar Angels, #2)
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)