Start by marking “The Real Estate Game: The Intelligent Guide To Decisionmaking And Investment” as Want to Read:
The Real Estate Game: The Intelligent Guide To Decisionmaking And Investment

The Real Estate Game: The Intelligent Guide To Decisionmaking And Investment

The Real Estate Game is a comprehensive guide to successful real estate investment from one of the masters in the field. Drawing upon four decades of experience developing, owning, and managing properties and on almost thirty years of teaching at the Harvard Business School, William J. Poorvu offers an insider's perspective on how to make smart decisions about real estate. ...more
Published September 13th 1999 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Real Estate Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Estate Game

John
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My boss actually recommended I read this book. It is one of the best nonfiction books I've ever read. Not a wasted sentence let alone page. This conciseness and the author's expertise kept me fully engaged and enjoying every minute.
Ken
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was mainly based on the author’s experience. The “game” that was described in the book was at times confusing and lost it’s luster halfway through the book.

Many case studies but they weren’t technical enough to truly help its readers in real life situations.

The author at times sounded egotistical in describing his past experiences.

Overall, it’s a good book for beginners in real estate. If you’re a more experienced individual, you might want to look elsewhere.
Patrick Braga
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very clear elucidation of the decision-making processes behind real estate development and investing. Having some industry experience can help make the concepts more memorable, but the storytelling is really compelling. After introducing core principles, several vignettes illustrate the concepts in real-life scenarios.
Steve
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
reasonably informative and appropriately boring
Diana
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was definitely more dense and technical than Timing the Real Estate Market. I think both are good to read if you are interested in real estate, but this one has more in-depth information and a structure that lends itself well to more comprehensive learning about the full cycle and picture of real estate development and investing.
Matt Rose
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive, practical and clear. I'm sure there is a need for greater detail in some areas, but in terms of setting a framework for involvement in the real estate market, this is outstanding.
David Wilusz
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A decent overview of the real estate investment cycle, from concept to commitment to closing, operations, and finally harvest. There are also chapters on the high risk-reward potential in development, as well as a section on syndication and REITs. The book covers apartments, office, hotel, industrial, and retail, with some introductory info on analysis and the external factors that can affect investments.

The main problem with this book is that it was published in 1999, and to my knowledge there
David
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are new to real estate and just getting into the industry, this is a must read. I will recommend it to any new analyst that works with or for me as a great "starter" book. I'd also recommend reading it before buying a house. I'm amazed at how many people buy a house without knowing a thing about real estate.
Matthew
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Good book, though it took me forever to get through it. Reads more like a textbook than anything else. Information is very general and would be good for someone not familiar with the real estate industry. Maybe that is why it took me some work to get through it, I was already familiar with most of what was shared so it couldn't keep me turning pages.
William Norvell
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A bit technical but a great intro into the Real Estate world. Much better than any textbook could portray how real estate deals go down. Great read if you are into real estate.
Alex Song
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
this book was okay
Michael Johnson
Dec 27, 2016 marked it as to-read
At 285 WPM the estimated time to read is 5 hours
Melissa
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I found this book lengthy and full of stories of the author's exploits. For a better review of real estate, pick up "Timing the Real Estate Market" by Hall
Valentina Tkachenko
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good introduction - a bit technical at first, but very comprehensive.
Kristin
Feb 06, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: discarded
I'm hoping to learn more about real estate and valuable principles for when I may buy a home.

I didn't finish the book. I couldn't stay interested.
Greg
  • Distressed Debt Analysis: Strategies for Speculative Investors
  • Investing in REITs: Real Estate Investment Trusts
  • Buy It, Rent It, Profit!: Make Money as a Landlord in ANY Real Estate Market
  • Active Value Investing
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures
  • Take On the Street: What Wall Street and Corporate America Don't Want You to Know
  • Trump Strategies for Real Estate: Billionaire Lessons for the Small Investor
  • Damodaran on Valuation: Security Analysis for Investment and Corporate Finance
  • Quality Investing: Owning the Best Companies for the Long Term
  • Real Estate Finance and Investments
  • The Art of Short Selling
  • Real Estate Development: Principles and Process
  • Capital Returns: Investing Through the Capital Cycle: A Money Manager's Reports 2002-15
  • The Wall Street Journal. Complete Real-Estate Investing Guidebook
  • Competition Demystified: A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy
  • Am I Being Too Subtle?: Straight Talk From a Business Rebel
  • Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment
  • Dead Companies Walking: How a Hedge Fund Manager Finds Opportunity in Unexpected Places