Start by marking “Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More” as Want to Read:
Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More

Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More

An early fall cobbler with blackberries bubbling in their juice beneath a golden cream biscuit. A crunchy oatmeal crisp made with mid-summer’s nectarines and raspberries. Or a comforting pear bread pudding to soften a harsh winter’s day. Simple, scrumptious, cherished–these heritage desserts featuring local fruit are thankfully experiencing a long-due revival.

In Rustic Fru
Published April 28th 2009 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Rustic Fruit Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rustic Fruit Desserts

Sandra
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All cooks who like making desserts using fruits
Recommended to Sandra by: Chris
My first dessert did not turn out well (Grandma Freeman's Jam Cake with Brown Sugar Icing), but I will admit to baking errors. The first was over baking. It should be very moist when removed from the oven. Thus, it was just a little on the dry side. The other error was putting the hot icing on a cold cake. The icing recipe called for rum. But our liquor store is closed on Mondays, thus I stored the cake in the fridge till Tuesday, thus hot boiled icing on a cold cake, equals cracked, hard icing! ...more
Kerry
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I really really really want to try and make some of this stuff! I could only give it 4 stars for now because I've only read the book not baked anything, but let me tell you it looks like some of these could have come directly from my Grammy's oven (I swear it was from the 50's and the best stuff came out of it.)
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. After I bought it, I ran home and made the upside-down pear chocolate cake. It was amazing. Perfectly moist the pears ended up looking like an abstract rose on the top. The pictures are amazing and the recipes simple and straight forward. Definitely one I will be using a lot in the future.
H.L. Stephens
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic recipe book for anyone who loves fruit and wants to preserve the flavor of their favorite succulent fruits. It follows what fruits are in season when and offers great options on what to do with them. Love it!
jersei skinner
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is going to be cool I Love to see people cook know matter who it is.
Joan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Pickings

I thought the recipes were very clear and useful. The rundown on the different varieties of fruits and berries was excellent. Can’t wait to try some of these!
Judy
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cookbooks
This is a wonderful book in many ways. It has all kinds of old-fashioned baked fruit desserts (with awesome names like slump, buckle, pandowdy as well as the more traditional pies, crisps, etc.) I have made two of the recipes so far. One -- nectarine, boysenberry, and almond crisp -- is in the oven right now, and the other, stone fruit tea cake, I have made twice, to enthusiastic and concentrated eating.

I like the fact that you don't even need to roll out a crust for many of these. I also like t
Anne
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Love making "rustic" fruit desserts, so this is right up my alley. I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I have enjoyed reading the book and the recipes and tips over and over again.
The only drawback I can see to this book is that a lot of the recipes are geographic-specific. That is, if you don't live in the Pacific Northwest, you won't be able to come by boysenberries and tayberries, etc easily. However, I would suggest altering a recipe to those desserts if you feel inspired. Look forwa
tiasreads
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I would give this cookbook a 3.5 rating. Not because there is anything really wrong with the recipes, but because it is not an overly practical book. Most of the recipes use fruits specific to the Northwestern US that are hard to find elsewhere. (Really, how much rhubarb do you think we grow in the South?) This is especially difficult for those of us who are trying to support local farmers by buying locally and seasonally. The two recipes I've tried were good, but nothing special. The marketing ...more
Dayna
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have made several recipes from this cookbook, all of them good. The stone fruit tea bread was amazing...I think that the fresh, homegrown apricots might have had something to do with that! While all of the recipes are rustic fruit desserts, there's still great variety. Not all of it is syrupy fruit and golden crust though, there are other fruit based desserts thrown in. Also, it is sorted by seasons, which I like.
Brianna
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far I've only made the rhubarb buckle with ginger crumb, but it was great, and I want to make just about all of the recipes in this book. I am especially looking forward to the sour cherry cobbler, and the gingered peach and blackberry pandowdy...

Update: the lemon buttermilk rhubarb bundt cake was great, and the rhubarb cream cheese pie with fresh strawberries was fabulous. If you like fruit desserts, you should have this book.
Aja Marsh
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some fun desserts in here-- a few that have inspired me to use up the nectarines and sour cherries I froze over the summer but haven't been sure what to do with. I don't bake much, but most of the recipes in here I'll have to alter to suit my more "wholesome" approach to desserts, but that's easy enough. The recipes are all pretty simple and straightforward, not using a ton of speciality ingredients, and is organized seasonally.
Wilma
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book that broke down basic desserts by the season. These are simple recipes you can incorporate into your meals and have your kids help you make them. Some recipes are more complex than others, but there is easily something for everyone. I've put every single one of these recipes into my meal plans for this year...every single one!
yoli
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Could have used more pictures of the finished recipes (I like to "know" what I'm making) although the techniques and fruit information are very helpful. The patterns weren't real my style but basic concepts are good. I liked how there was regional anecdotes for most of the recipes, really makes me want to see the Pacific Northwest!
Miss Clark
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-baking
A lot of tasty and fairly simple fruit desserts which focus on in-season fruit and strongly recommend you use locally grown when possible, which I agree with heartily.

My favorites were the Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake, Cherry Almond Bars, Raspberry Red Currant Cobbler, Grape Galette, and Lemon Blueberry Buckle.
Benjamin
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book is really aesthetically pleasing, with beautiful photos, heavy paper stock, and warm colors. And the recipes look really, really good. Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of what I would consider to be everyday recipes. These are desserts you'll want to have plenty of time to prepare and a gathering of friends to show off to.
Lisa
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't love this I didn't hate it either. I love that they have the book divided into seasons. I love that they list all of the fruits listed and explained. Some of the recipes seem a little complicated or too many ingredients. I have a couple of recipes bookmarked, but I think that I was just expecting more from this book and it did not deliver.
Millicent
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cook-books, reviewed
A recipe book for down to earth homely fruit dishes. I made the apple crumble, and the pear-raspberry ginger pandowdy. I found both to be too sour. I was introduced to many flavor and ingredient combinations I hadn't thought of before, but I think I'll design my own recipes, since the result from the dishes I tried weren't stellar.
Kathryn
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My oh my there are some yummy recipes in this book. The book is setup by using utilizing what fresh fruits are available. AND, she tells the differences between cobblers, slumps, galettes, grunts and many more!
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Nothing but fruit in crusts

Broken down into seasons, this is fruit done both simple and clever. Different tastes together, but simple and unpretentious. Delightful reference book.
Colleen
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Really wonderful baking book with lots of unique takes on traditional fruit desserts. Loved learning about all the different types of fruit desserts (crumble, crisp, grunt, betty, etc.) and would love to use again at autumn.
Scelena
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome cookbook organized by seasons to accomodate what's available in the NW. I made a delicious crumble that was a hit at a dinner party--I borrowed this from the library and will now buy it so I can use it every season.
Anne
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
yummy to read...maybe I should make some of the recipes?
Deanna
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These sound so yummy and would be easy to make.
Annette
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I want to gorge myself on every recipe in here. So far everything I've made has been delicious. The recipes are simple and easy to follow. Love that it's broken up by season.
Heydi Smith
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
A good fruit dessert cookbook but I wish it had more blackberry recipes in it.
Kim Forsythe
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cooking
The pie/cobber is my favorite dessert and this book brings them together by season. Beautiful fruit desserts plus a great reference guide to the different types of pies.
Melissa
Apr 22, 2012 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent cookbook full of desserts organized by seasons.
Cody Toye
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book terrified me, I'm afraid of fruit cake.
Courtney
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can't wait until berry season to make these recipes. But great year round recipes too.

• Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Pure Dessert
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook