Start by marking “Pennies for Elephants” as Want to Read:
Pennies for Elephants

Pennies for Elephants

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Extra, Extra! Three Trained Pachyderms for Sale! When Dorothy and her brother Henry learn that three beloved local circus elephants will soon be retiring, they are shocked and dismayed-but also inspired! The owner has agreed to sell the elephants to the children of Boston if they can raise the $6,000. They have two months. They'll have to contribute every penny they have, ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Pennies for Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pennies for Elephants

Barbara
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a picture book that shows just how powerful and determined children can be, look no further than this book. In 1914 the owners of three elephants are retiring and selling their elephants, the children of Boston donate their life savings and do odd jobs for their neighbors in order to raise the needed $6,000. Because of inflation, Judge takes care to include prices such as a car for $495, girls' dresses for 49 cents for comparison. There are newspaper clippings describing th ...more
Theresa C
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
ISBN-978-1-4231-1390-4
c2009
What an inspiring story for children! The fact that this is based on a true story makes it all the more compelling! There are many extension activities that can be done with this 2011 Red Clover nominee. The circus, Fenway Park, and other events taking place during this time period will add interest. Most importantly students will relate their classroom experience of "penny wars" for a special cause to the pennies saved by all the children in the story. What a great wa
Sandra
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this story took me back to my childhood and my visits to the Museum of Science and Industry Circus display in Chicago. Set in the early 1900's this children's book is based on true events from that era. Lita Judge created a story about the sale of elephants and how they were bought for the city of Boston. As readers read the story, they find out who bought the elephants and how. Children will be captivated by the bright and colorful illustrations. It would be excellent for younger students ...more
May
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pennies for Elephants is truly a remarkable true story. Never could have imagined children raising 6,000 dollars to buy an elephant. I agree with one of the readers on how children are such hard workers to earn certain amount of money to buy an elephant for the zoo. These children should be acknowledged and look up to by the kids today. Haha. Unfortuantely, most of them are stuck in Instagram/FB/their iphone/etc.
Bridget R. Wilson
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: elephants
In 1914 Boston, children go without treats and find extra jobs so they can buy three elephants for the local zoo. The story is told through the eyes of one little girl and newspaper clippings.

What I thought: A fascinating story and just think, it's true! I liked everything about this book. Will definitely use it for my next elephant story time. The illustrations were great. I especially liked the newspaper clipping inserts. They added a lot to the story.
Sam Bloom
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I heard Judge speak at ALA, and was excited when this book showed up on my desk the very day of my return! Fun book with wonderful illustrations; based on true story of New England children who helped buy a set of trained elephants for the Boston Zoo. I'm looking forward to reading One Thousand Tracings, another book that Judge talked about.
Lorie
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A nice New England story about how kids in 1914 raised $6000 to buy elephants for a zoo. The newspaper published the names of each contributor everyday, even those who contributed a penny. This is a great story to show community building and how you can do anything if you put your mind to it, and that includes young children.
Rachel
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Wonderful story based on a true account, which Judge brilliantly weaves into her artwork using reproductions of newspaper articles. Great introduction to children about the idea of community and how big things can come from small ideas. Recommended.
Matthew
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story. I really enjoyed reading it to children. The story of a group of children who accomplished something incredible through hard work and teamwork. It's very nice, it's true, and it's entertaining.
Marcie
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction based upon actual events of 1914 Boston, where the children saved money to purchase elephants for the Boston Zoo. The endpapers would make a great reading to talk about how author's do research to write their historical fiction. Very clever.
Marie
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A wonderful story, based on a historical incident, that shows what children can do if they work together. Newspaper clippings are used to fill out the story. They add a lot, especially as the text is a little weak. Still, a story children should enjoy.
Katie Casey
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
Awesome story based on true events about how kids in Boston (I think?) worked together to save up enough money to buy elephants for their zoo. Very cute.
Lynne Marie
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this -- a sweet inspiring story based upon a TRUE event.
Lolita Mazon
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vaikiškos
I have no words to describe what a masterpiece are Lita Judge's illustrations. It is a beautiful book and an interesting true story.
John
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dorthy and Henry raise money to save three trained elephants. It is based on actual events.
Maggi Rohde
For teaching children what life was like a hundred years ago, plus a math lesson on money, plus a lesson in philanthropy and determination.
Michelle Wyatt
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
FANTASTIC! thsi book was based on a true story, and has all sorts of historical references throughout the book. its awesome!
Marianna
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Based on a true story and a wonderful example of children working together.
Tracy
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for historical fiction genre. It is a picture book, but is based on real events.
Rachel
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the illustrations in this historical fiction book for kids. It's based on newspaper accounts of kids in Boston working together to raise money to purchase elephants for the zoo.
Lori
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inspiring story and gorgeous illustrations. In fact, they are so wonderful, they were the main reason I purchased the book.
Rena