Start by marking “Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 1 (Pokémon Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 1 (Pokémon Adventures, #1)

Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 1

(ポケットモンスタースペシャル #1)

Adventures based on the best-selling video games! All your favourite Pokémon game characters jump out of the screen into the pages of this action-packed manga!

Red doesn't just want to train Pokémon, he wants to be their friend too. Bulbasaur and Poliwhirl seem game. But independent Pikachu won't be so easy to win over!

And watch out for Team Rocket, Red... They only want t
Paperback, Second Edition, 200 pages
Published June 2nd 2009 by VIZ Media - Children's (first published August 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Shadowjac No this site is not for reading books it's for keeping track of books you've read and rating them.
Zygarde Master Check Amazon, Barnes and noble, the library, eBay, or google. Google will give you a website that'll let cha buy it.

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I think y’all can probably relate to this: I was minding my own business in Costco the other day when I came across box sets for the ENTIRE first 30 books in the Pokémon Adventures series… and I just had to have them. So I happily blew my grocery budget on them and went home.

I’ve read maybe a handful of manga over the years, and although it’s not a genre I’m well versed in, I liked everything I picked up. I think I feared diving in further for two reasons: 1. I’ve enough to read as is, and 2. My
Holly Letson
If you watched the Pokemon anime before reading this, like I did, you're in for some real surprises. This manga volume left me feeling like most of what they put in the Pokemon anime was a lie. That being said, I did quite enjoy this, and even liked this story better than the anime story.
--------------
Remember Ash not having any Pokemon, and staying up all night to get one from Prof. Oak? Well, meet Red (who Ash is the manga). Red has a Poliwhirl, which he has raised since he was little, and i
Luke Owen
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not gonna spend the time to give every book in this series five stars but they all deserve it. This book is the reason I'm on the weeab list tbh. But honestly this is such a good series. The characters are lovable the story is actually amazing and there are a ton of crossovers. Also like Pokemon legitimately die in this. It's the real world. I'm not even kidding this was so good I want to reread it.
Ill D
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Japanophiles
Pretty fun. Yet not all is nostalgia induced enjoyment. Still tenable 30 years down the road, the pleasure here is truly intrinsic and eye-twinklingly unchanging. Demarcating its own narrative that accepts, rejects, contradicts, and ultimately modulates the peoples, places, and happenstances from the anime and GameBoy Classics alike, these adventures forge their own unique take with mellifluous tones and timbres to match.

Reading like a breeze, this whooshes along with own well-tempered brevity.
Mehsi
"I wanna be the very best. Like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test."

I just adore Pokemon, and not just me, my boyfriend as well.I just love that VIZ has brought out these in box sets, I got the first one now (gave it to my boyfriend for Christmas), and I am planning on buying another boxset soon.

This was just so nostalgic to read. The starter pokemon, pikachu, St. Anne, Misty, and so many other events, I was just delighted to see them, and more, pass by. It reminded me of playing th
Kayla Eklund
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those of you that know me, you know I'm obsessed with Pokemon. I've loved it since I was a kid. I love the anime, the video games, the memorabilia, etc etc. Recently I found out that there is a manga called Pokemon Adventures, and read the first volume. I really enjoyed it.

Pokemon Adventures brings together everything I've always loved about Pokemon. I enjoyed watching Red discover new Pokemon, and beginning his journey as a trainer. It brought back nostalgic feelings of watching the show w
Katie.g
3.5 stars.

There’s nothing quite like the nostalgia the Pokemon world creates. Theres something about capturing and training a bunch of cute, strong creatures that really appealed to me as a child and it’s something that is still going strong today. I think it’s phenomenal how Pokemon has stood the test of time. The Nintendo Switch released a new Pokemon game not so long ago and there’s currently a Pokemon movie in the cinemas.

Reading this comic, I felt as though I was going back in a time warp
Thomas Janssen
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-and-manga
In the last few chapters, in the Pokémon tower, shit got VERY real. Holy damn
Joost
Yeey, een manga over Pokémon! Een fantastische reread, veel rauwer en gaver dan de serie! Lees hier mijn recensie: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
Matisse
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally got my hands on this thing. Pokemon Adventures has been running forever, but finding a Volume 1 copy can be difficult. I happened upon one while the store in question was having a sale. Picking up Pokemon Adventures Vol 1 was a no-brainer.

This is a weird take on Pokemon. This title is clearly adapting the original games, and since this was long before the franchise gave itself any real rules, we have things like Gym Leaders being villains, Red winning Gym Badges just for training alongs
Miriam Dyck
Like most manga I found this hard to put down and had to keep flipping pages until I was done. This book gets a 4.5 star rating.

Pokemon adventures follows the story of Red, a boy from Pallet Town on a quest to become the greatest Pokemon trainer ever. Red is based off of the main protagonist in the red and blue video games for the game boy colour.

Me being a life long fan of the Pokemon games and playing Pokemon red and blue over and over as a child, this was a real treat for me to be able to re
Justin,   Chung
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokemon, its you and me
I know its my destiny
Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Pokemon, a heart so true
Our courage will pull us through

You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all

Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle every day
To claim
Taylor Cayes
Aug 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is this what Pokemon has become?
Fraser
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this book was brilliant
Emmy
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, gamer-girl
A classic! I loved reading these books as a kid, and I've been having a blast revisiting the series! What makes these stories really stand out is that everything is an original take on Pokemon universe. Characters are all a little different than they were in Ash's adventures. For example, some neutral characters are now villains, some in-game NPCs are now good friends, etc. It's just been a lot of fun!
Julia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
My son read this to me in the car. I have now banned him from reading comic books to me in the car because I have no idea what was going on.
As an example, this was how he read me page 50:
"Bulbasaur - go!" BOM Pon mrgl mrgl "Pi?" mrgl mrgl mrgl "Oooh, a pokemon!" mrmrmr grnn grrr chak "Auggh!"
Parents, learn from my mistakes.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was so cute! I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. While I am a huge Pokemon fan, I don't think you have to be one to enjoy this book.
Benjamin Krebs
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a great book especially for Pokémon beginners. However, some things I didn't really get because they didn't really intertwine with the Pokémon main series games.
Gary Butler
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
28th book read in 2017.

Number 176 out of 593 on my all time book list.
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
poke mon hurrr
Dorothy Weigand
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hear me out....I'm not normal. I don't really even read manga all that much any more and yet...So this follows the game so instead of Ash Ketchum and Gary Oak you have "Red" and "Blue" (and I guess eventually Gold, Silver, FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire....) It follows most of Red's journey through the Indigo League, making the necessary time skips because I really don't think anyone wants to see him catching basic Pokémon. It starts with Red as an already well established trainer in the lim ...more
Marcus Baker
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very well written and has the best story line every thing is you would what to see in a Pokémon book. And it has the classic Pokémon that there is.
Mara
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2018, manga
Honestly, it has been ages since I read this series, and I recall that I was very fond of it. So I decided to pick it up again and see how my opinion has changed in like, half a decade? Maybe even longer ago. I feel so old already.

What I like about this series is that it 1) doesn't follow the video games to the T 2) doesn't shy away from a bit more 'mature' themes (dead Pokemon, an Arbok cut in two halves, basically dead. However, I feel like the Red, Blue and Green story will be very, very rush
Oliver
The Pokémon franchise started as a game for Nintendo's Gameboy, released in Japan in 1996 and in America and Australia in 1998 (Europe in 1999). The anime television series began in 1997.

I start off by mentioning this because I assume that most Americans who have been a fan since the beginning of the franchise, like myself, are more familiar with these two versions than the Pokémon Adventures manga. However, Pokémon Adventures came out the same year (actually a month before the TV show). This is
João Figueiredo
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
Hector
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and I feel like this is how Pokemon really should be. It really reminded me of when I played Pokemon FireRed and went through all of the cities to get the Gym Badges. I have been playing Pokemon since I was little and I still enjoy playing it today.

This book really talks about how you should befriend Pokemon instead of just having them as battling tools. Red really shows that in the way he treats his Pokemon and that is how it should really be, and it this tre
Sophia
I enjoyed reading this manga as it was quick, short and filled with Pokemon (and who doesn't love that?). I liked meeting the familiar characters and seeing them in a new way, but also the same (as they appear in the cartoon). What I found funny was that Pikachu's cuteness was mentioned more than once. It's funny because in the cartoon. Pikachu starts off as being this rotund little thing with the cute child-like voice but as the cartoon continues, it becomes thinner and has more of an aggressiv ...more
Pauline Stout
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I have mixed feelings about this book. I like the art style a lot. It is very well drawn and consistent in its style. It seems a little kiddish for me though. The dialogue was simple and honestly seemed a little dumb. I didn't like what they've done with several characters, especially Lt. Surge. Chapters went by way too fast for me and I could tell it was made for someone with not the best attention span. I can tell that I was not be target demographic for this book. It kind of disappoint me sin ...more
Gavin Abdollahi
WAY better than the anime! I think.
I remember watching the anime when I was really small, and I thought it was GREAT! Though, if I watched it again, based on what I've heard, I'm sure I would find it too childish and simple...
In spite of that, I read this, since I really LOVE the Pokemon games. And guess what?
This was surprisingly GREAT!
I have no idea why this hasn't been made into an anime yet.
The story is pretty good.
There's, surprisingly, no Ash. Instead, the protagonist is Red (Fire Red, an
Shounen Manga Boo...: Pokemon Adventures 1 3 Feb 22, 2019 07:09AM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Pokemon 2 5 May 24, 2016 04:42PM

• Pokemon Graphic Novel, Volume 1: The Electric Tale Of Pikachu!
  • Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl Adventure!, Vol. 1
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - Part 1 (Zelda, #6)
  • Charizard, Go! (Pokemon Chapter Book, #6)
  • Pokemon (Piano Sheet Music)
  • Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
  • Pokemon Ultimate Handbook
  • Time for Magic (WINX Club, Vol. 6)
  • The Official Pokémon Handbook
  • Pokemon
Created the Pokemon Adventures series.

Also made a Pokemon Rangers/ Almia manga. It is based on the game Pokemon Rangers, Shadows of Almia

Also known as : 日下秀憲

ポケットモンスタースペシャル (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 2