Start by marking “Girl on the Other Side” as Want to Read:
Girl on the Other Side

Girl on the Other Side

Tabby Freeman and Lora Froggett go to the same school, but they live in totally opposite worlds. Tabby is rich, pretty, and the most popular girl in her class. But behind closed doors, her "perfect” life is rapidly coming apart at the seams.
On the other side, Lora is smart, timid, and the constant target of bullies. While struggling to survive the piranha-infested halls of
Published October 19th 2009 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Girl on the Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl on the Other Side

April
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Let's face it, high schoolers can be real assholes. Not all of course, but with the pressure to be in, sometimes the only way of being cool is by bringing others down. Girl on the Other Side by Deborah Kerbel is a short, gut-punch of a book featuring the intertwining of characters Lora Froggett and Tabby Freeman, two girls who lead drastically different lives. Tabby is basically a queen bee, think Mean Girls. Lora is a social outcast.
Read the rest of my review here
Briana
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Original review post here:

After addressing the issue of cultural differences in Mackenzie, Lost and Found, Deborah Kerbel goes on to tackle the problem of bullying and social differences in Girl on the Other Side, her second novel for young adults. It is the powerful, gripping story of how two vastly different girls' lives collide and change forever.

Tabby and Lora were such utterly realistic and genuinely depicted characters that they could have easily be
Gisbelle
A nice short story about two girls who live such different live, yet they also have someone in common - family problems.

I really enjoyed this book. The pace is nice and the characters are well-developed. However, at times I felt like it did not properly mention the solutions to bullying, besides standing for one's self and the school didn't help stop those students mistreating both Tabby and Lora, other than one teacher.
Rachael
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Tabby Freeman and Lora Froggett would never suspect they had anything in common outside of the school they attend. Tabby comes from the wealthiest family in town and consequently, is on the most popular girls in school. But popularity and a comfortable lifestyle mean nothing to Tabby; those things can’t save her from the choking lack of real friends and people who truly care about her. Lora is intelligent, extremely shy, and constantly bullied. Getting through every day is a chore since it’s not ...more
Lauren
Aug 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Girl on the Other Side was an interesting and fast paced read about two not so unalike girls.

I liked how the characters in this were represented by two different types of girls. Lora being the social misfit whose life constantly feels like a fight and Tabby the supposed it girl who doesn’t feel nearly as good about herself as she thinks she should. While I did feel both fell into cliché roles at times, I did overall enjoy reading about them and their struggles with issues not present at the sur
Debbie Ohi
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-young-adult
I identified with bits of both Tabby and Lora, and I -know- I've met them both, back in school. I found Tabby the most fascinating character. At first she seems like a stereotypical "rich bitch" but then the reader starts glimpsing hints of the more complex aspects of her personality. I wanted to keep hating Tabby for her role in the bullying, but couldn't help but feel for her as she struggled to cope with a home situation that only seemed get worse.

I enjoyed seeing various situations and peop
Trisha
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A very good - if a little simple - look at bullying and the affect it has. Each girl in the story, Tabby and Lora, live very differently. But, both of their lives are miserable and make them unhappy for different reasons.

I really appreciated the straight forward writing and storyline. You weren't left guessing about the characters or the end. I also really liked the end and how it was all wrapped up.
Stacy
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Enjoyable teen drama about two different girls coping with equally challenging life problems related to family crises and school bullying. A good pick for reluctant readers who don't enjoy paranormal.
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict
Girl on the Other Side is a quick read, that's for sure. I finished the book in one sitting. While I wasn't blown away by the plot, which was slightly predictable, I did appreciate the deep look into the lives of two girls fighting their own inner battles.

Two of the most stereotypical girls are represented here. There's Tabby, the popular perfect princess, and Lora, the nerdy loner with no self-confidence. The juxtaposition of the two roles is more than a little cliché. Still, I can see where K
Brittany
Tabby is the girl who has it all; the clothes, the house, the popularity; everything money can buy. Lora doesn't have much, a sick mom, an unfortunate last name and too much to do at home. At one point, their lives cross in a dramatic way. This is a story about how two people who have two seemingly different lives can still face struggles that leave them hurt and tired; and how sometimes the person you relate to the most isn't someone vying for your attention.

This was an enjoyable little read. I
Once
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
This book showcases High School and what happen there every day. You read about the teasing, bullying and just plain old meanness of those 4 years. Deborah did a great job in describing it throughout the pages. Even though the story is a bit short, the pace of the story is fast paced. I would have liked of course for a longer book seems somethings were a bit rushed. The author does a great job writing about real issues and turning them into a enjoyable story to read.

You meet Tabby the girl who i
Leslie (That Chick That Reads)
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okie so let’s just go ahead and face it: High School sucks. No matter where you go, no matter what you do, there will always be people teasing others. Kerbel did a good job with this novel and it expresses the true nightmares of what teasing does to someone. We have Tabby, the queen bee and head of the piranhas. She and everyone else go out of their way to tease Lora, by tripping her, calling her different names and even go as far as physical abusing her. This novel is just sooo sad! I read this ...more
Ashlyn
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story is told from Tabby, the rich popular girl, and Lora's, the girl who always gets bullied, point of view. The book was more for a middle school aged girl, which isn't something I would normally read, so that is probably why I did not enjoy the author's writing style. Even though it was short, it seemed like it dragged on and I couldn't finish fast enough. I'm still not sure what the point of the story was. It wasn't very clear to me. I thought it was going to be about how Tabby and Lora ...more
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian-ya
Girl on the Other Side is a really powerful novel about two girls on opposite sides of the social spectrum. One is a social pariah, and the other is the daughter of the richest family in the town and thus, the most popular girl in school. This book reminds readers that no matter where someone fits in the social ladder of high school, they're thoughts and feelings might not always be what they seem. The sad, but hopeful ending will touch readers of all ages.
Anna
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Best thing about this book? It's blissfully short! However, despite the brevity, it packs a pretty powerful punch re: teen bullying. Sort of similar to Jackson's "The Lottery," (which I did NOT enjoy) if for no other reason than the perhaps unnecessary reminder that humans often be depressingly inhumane.
Mandiann
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I liked the dual perspective and the character development of both girls. I was a little bit disappointed that the girls did not become friends at the end of the book but I suppose that life can sometimes be disappointing and not every piece of every story can be neatly tied together with a pretty bow.

Kkharvey
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I felt as though this book had great lead up, and I was enjoying getting to know the characters. It showed a lot of promise for the development of this potential friendship. But the second half of the book left me terribly unfulfilled. It did not seem plausible, nor did I feel that the conflict was accurately concluded. It felt fake and forced.
Claudia Osmond
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torkidlit
A heartfelt novel from beginning to end. I bet anyone who's ever been a teenaged girl will be able to identify with the characters in this book. Heartbreaking, yet hopeful. A great piece of work from another accomplished #torkidlit writer.
Alexis
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Read this because a friend seemed to enjoy it. It's the story of a rich girl who loses everything, and a poorer girl who watches her fall. I wanted to like it more than I did.
Zainab
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Its amazing! it has a very good meaning and all in all it was great!!!
Tiffany
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
coming soon....
Kyle
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A quick and easy read but it was almost too fast - I wish the author would have taken a little more time towards the end.
Aimée Swindley
rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2015
Apr 02, 2015
Jamie
Aug 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deborah Kerbel was born in London, England, but grew up in Toronto, Canada.
A finalist for the 2012 Governor General's Literary Award, the 2010 Canadian Library Association YA Book of the Year Award, 2019 Blue Spruce Award Honour Book, and winner of the 2020 IODE Jean Throop Book Award, Deborah is the author of ten books for young readers of all ages.
Currently, Deborah lives and writes in Thornhil