Start by marking “Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2)

Dark Citadel

(Masters of the Shadowlands #2)

After Kari breaks up with her date during Beginner's Night at Club Shadowlands, she's given the option to continue with an experienced dominant. Despite her steamy fantasies about BDSM, the inexperienced schoolteacher plans to simply observe. Yet under the unyielding hands of Master Dan, she not only participates, but gives him everything he asks for. There is nothing she ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Dark Citadel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Citadel

Club Shadowlands by Cherise SinclairBreaking Free by Cherise SinclairDark Citadel by Cherise SinclairMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairMaster of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair
BDSM Fiction
1,029 books — 1,349 voters
Club Shadowlands by Cherise SinclairBreaking Free by Cherise SinclairDark Citadel by Cherise SinclairMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairLean on Me by Cherise Sinclair
Gateway to BDSM
669 books — 832 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2)
Evgeny
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
A mild-mannered school teacher Kari suspected she was a submissive (in BDSM sense) as she never had any pleasure from ordinary sex. Thus when her boyfriend Buck offered to take her to a beginner BDSM class in club Shadowlands she went along with his idea. The moment they came to the club Buck began behaving like a jerk thinking this is what a real Dom should do, but the club's regular quickly put him in his place and gave Kari to a Dom named Dan for safekeeping.

Thus Dan became Kari's teacher an
Sophia Triad
Beginners lessons at a private BDSM club.

Right... So this time, there is actually a story that takes place in Club Shadowlands. Kari is interested in the lifestyle and her wannabe boyfriend, Buck, who is also a wannabe Dom suggests that they attend some beginners lessons at the club.
Buck is pushy, Kari is overwhelmed and decides to leave the lessons. Master Z suggests a more experienced Dom for her. So, Kari becomes Master Dan's sub for the duration of the lessons.

The characters are well des
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 3.5 STARS ♥♥♥

This was the second book in the Masters of Shadowland series. It was another short and steamy read, but I also felt it was quite better than the first.

This story is about a conservative high school teacher named Kari. She is dating a man named Buck, and both are interested in the BDSM scene. So, they both decide to take a beginners class at Club Shadowland. Unfortunately, things don't go so well because Buck was a total douchenozzle. Master Z saves her and decides to put her in
Syndi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have so high expectation for Miss Sinclair. After all she is one of my favorite for BDSM romance theme. Now her books mostly highlight BDSM sex and minimum on the story. In this book, Miss Sinclair wrote a foreward on the beginning of the book warning her readers to be safe on BDSM world.

I found this book is lacking of steam and innovation. It feels like the story and the BDSM element is copy from the previous book. Repeating over and over again. I am bit disappointed actually.

With lack of s
Louise H  -  ⭐ Life in the Book Lane Reviews ⭐
So continuing with my mission to re-read the Cherise Sinclair books I do own, arc commitments be damned, I've spent an enjoyable chunk of today re-familiarising myself with Master Dan and Kari.

I love how the author writes such wonderful, and believable characters. I do think in these first few books that the characterisation of the women is stronger than that of the men, though in part that could be due to spending the majority of the time in their heads. Whilst it's not surprising that I feel m
Brainycat
I don't know why I took so long to finish this book. I think a lot of my reticence was a desire to savor it; there's only a few books in this series.

I don't like Master Dan as much as I like Master Z, but I'm probably more like Dan than Z. Go figure, eh? I really enjoyed the way Kari went from "nice catholic girl who doesn't do that sort of thing" to a willing sub who desperately wants and fights for her dom.

I would have liked to see Dan spend more time confronting the feelings holding him lock
Kristen
3 1/2 stars

Dark Citadel is the second book in Cherise Sinclair's, Masters of the Shadowland series. I liked this book more than the first but not as much as I'd hoped.

I did love the chemistry, respect, and understanding that developed between Master Dan and Kari. My heart melted with how tender Master Dan could be in reassuring and nurturing Kari's submissive side. I wanted to smack him, though, when his guilt and anger over his wife's death flared up, turning him cold and unfeeling.

What I
Charlie
I really enjoyed this re-read. Dan and Kari's story is super sweet!
Bea
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
This series challenges me on many levels. I believe the reason that it does is because it seems to get the point of BDSM. So many BDSM focused books go for the "titillation" factor rather than the deep psychological impact and depth of the relationships. Ms. Sinclair just "gets it". Her stories are compelling and emotionally charged.

From the beginning I could identify with Kari, the proper Catholic raised "good girl" who is both repelled by the control of Master Dan and BDSM and yet finds it som
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Again the book didn't have much of a plot, just "sex", "kinkier sex" and "sex" again. Nevertheless, this book had all the good traits that the first one in the series had.

Master Dan

Hot, dark, thoughtful and a little tortured to make a good mix powerful Master Dan is a wet dream com true. Since the death of his wife he's been changing partners like socks until he meets Kari.

Kari

Kari is a school teacher and a closet sub and she is about to have her world rocked by a very sexy Dom. Again Ka
Sláinte Wanderlust
Cover & Title - 4 out of 5
Favorite Line - “She could just imagine, all her friends and family mourning around her grave. The tombstone would read Kari Wagner, Died of Sheer Stupidity.
It would be almost as bad to have her grave marker read Died of Terminal Bedroom Boredom.”
Favorite Character - Kari

I was happy & surprised to find the book quite deep at parts. I loved Kari & Dan together, working with each other to help solve their issues. I thought that the build up & emotion between them felt
Rin W. Vitale
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, this was...

description

Actually, I was kind of hoping for Master Nolan to get his way but then Master Dan... Shhh..

Anyway! Now, I'm considering to read Master Nolan story!
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: The BookChick
Even better than the first!!
Jenny
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic-romance
Dark Citadel is book two of the Masters of the Shadowlands series by Cherise Sinclair. Kari Wagner and her boyfriend Buck decided to attend beginner's night at Club Shadowlands. On the night before the class started Kari and Buck had a confrontation, and Kari started to walk out of the Club. Master Z stop Kari and ask her would she like to continue the class with Master Dan. However, Master Dan and Kari did not realise by agreeing to Master Z request that their lives would change. The readers of ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

While most of Cherise Sinclair’s stories deal with a sub who comes to terms with her sexuality through BDSM, Dark Citadel is more a story of a Dom who must overcome his fears of commitment after losing his wife.

When Kari goes to BDSM Club Shadowlands with her date, she finds the idea of bondage and domination meets needs within her she hadn’t realized. But her date turns obnoxious and she’s ready to leave, and Master Dan steps in with an offer to teach her about BDSM. They share a mutual attract
Cheap and Lazy
3.5 stars. The title is a misnomer. Fine if you’re looking for a well-written, erotic, non-first person (yay!), light BDSM romance on the shorter side featuring a strong, intelligent heroine; strong, intelligent, and somewhat brooding Dom hero. Nothing dark or angsty here. Nothing special, either.
MsRomanticReads

I've been Sinclaired and happy as a clam! I can't stop gushing about this series.

Kari accompanies her date to a beginner's night at Shadowlands. Her date, Buck, is a real jerk. Before long, she wants to leave and have nothing to do with the ridiculous idea of exploring this lifestyle. The ever observant Master Z picks up on her apprehension as well as her interest and offers to let her continue her exploration at the hands of an experienced Dom. She agrees and soon finds herself in the very cap
Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ
4.5 Stars
Three words to describe this book HOLY MOTHER OF HOTNESS!!!!
I guess temperature of my room just increased!!

Master Daniel (pure breed of alpha male) is caring, thoughtful and easy going who doesn't take a sub for more than one night as he still mourns his wife’s death. But Kari the newbie sub changes his entire notion of fuck ‘em leave ‘em. She is sweet, curvy, innocent school teacher very conservative but brave enough to explore her sexuality. What Master Dan doesn't know is that sh
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Kari hesitantly steps through the doors of Club Shadowlands. As a teacher she isn’t the number one poster girl for a BDSM club, but that doesn’t stop her. She enters with her boyfriend, Buck. Though he’s a nice guy and they’ve done some BDSM stuff together, Kari doesn’t feel entirely safe with him as her Dom.

When they go for Beginner classes at Club Shadowlands, a fight with Buck leaves Kari regretting her decision to come even before the classes start. However, Master
Jen
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jen by: kyra storm
I am devouring The Shadowland series by Cherise Sinclair extremely fast!! I love them, they are a great mixture of hot sex and a little bit of a story thrown in! It is also nice to have characters from the past book make an appearance in the current one! I look forward to reading the next book in the series!
Kelly
Kari was a great character, but I really didn't like Dan. The way he treated her was just ridiculous. And the leather chaps? Come on - so cheesy. It had some great scenes, but this romance did not add up. Every time Dan opened his mouth, he said something so degrading and atrocious that Kari should have slapped him. Guy needed to be taught a lesson! Way too much machismo for me.
Vintage
I read this sometime last year. Not sure when, but I need to review it.

I love the Shadowlands series. Master Z alone is responsible for my tag hero I would trade my husband for. Huumana huumana huumana. Can I say how glad I am this is relatively anonymous?

Kari is a buttoned up little school teacher who is introduced to big ole bad BDSM lifestyle by alpha ass-hat Master fricking Dan after she dumps her date at the door for being a wimpy ass-hat.

Poor Dan. He has a sad backstory, but cry me a riv
Duchess Nicole
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well, this was was soo much better than the first. There were a couple of uncomfortable moments for me. The exhibitionism took it a bit far for my comfort level, but what did I expect, right?!

Master Dan is a real person, with a real life. His wife died three years ago, and since then, there has been no one in his life for more than a day. It seems as if he's so well liked among the other masters. Someone always has his back. When he meets Kari and is set as her Dom for the night, he is at first
Angela
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic
When I read the first in this series I was sent on a totally new experience in erotica. This second book just made me hook my claws into the genre crazily. Master Dan I think has taken my heart more than Master Z did in Club Shadowlands.
Again the story begins with a girl new to the experience and is taken swiftly under the caring arm of Master Dan. Their relationship grows quickly, but Master Dan has unwanted baggage that hold him back from fully embracing this new little Sub.
Another intensely d
Kim O
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan (sign) My kind of alpha. Sweet, but very protective! Loved his story. I'm so glad he was able to get over his grief and move on. Kari was perfect for him, just the kind of woman he needs. So far, this series is fantastic. Of course, meeting all the new characters has me excited about all the future books. I've never been to a BDSM club, so I wouldn't know, but from the perspective of someone new to this kind of world, IMO, Cheris Sinclair has done a great job depicting wh ...more
Amanda The Book Slayer
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

5/5 Sexy Stars *****

Another Steamy one for Cherise Sinclair. This book is all about Dan. We get to see him grow and learn to let go of the past to hold on the the present and future. I think Cherise Sinclair picked the perfect complement to Dan in Kari. Who better than a natural nurturer than a teacher. I loved the last big scene at the end of the book. *The chase scene* If you loved the first book then you will love this one!

description Plusdescription
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I started this book late last night because I couldn't sleep. So I thought a quick read would help me calm down. Well I was wrong. Ok,he's no Master Z but still Master Dan is a WOW too. Some scenes were pretty HOT in this book. I mean I had to stop and catch a breathe of fresh air. Master Dan was sexy but Kari was a feisty one and I thought that's what made them a great couple. I've really enjoyed this series so far and of course I didn't get much sleep after this book so I tried a crime book i ...more
Susan ...so many books and so little time
What's not to say about this book...all I can say...before I need to go and take a cold shower...lol...is that it is HOT!!! And I am going to continue reading the series...it is that AMAZING!!!...ooooooooooh yeah!!!...
JoLee (Cozy.Sunday.Reads)
It is rare to find a author who can top the first book in a series. Cherise Sinclair did that and more with Dark Citadel book 2 in the Master of the Shadowlands series. Her writing voice is beautiful and story telling is entertaining. What did it for me was by chapter 3 you already get beautiful descriptions, just enough back story on the characters, sizzling sexual tension, and you will fall in love with the Hero who is gentle and very loving.

“You’re allowed to look, sweetheart,” he murmured, r
Fiona Fog
I was excited diving in and then I hit a wall. A shallow one I don't think there was any water left at all.

The story if that's what it was meant to be just wasn't there. When Kari arrives for beginners night at Shadowlands she's excited, this is something she has been keen to explore. She's also with another man. But once they past the doors she sees a side of her date that she hasn't before. He's rude, demanding and aggressive and that's only in the foyer. (BTW would you have not picked up on t

• Just For You, Sir (Doms of Decadence, #1)
  • The Dom Who Loved Me (Masters and Mercenaries, #1)
  • Submitting to Two Doms (Cowboy Doms, #5)
  • Doms of Dark Haven (Truckee Wolves #2; Hawkeye #2.5; Mountain Masters & Dark Haven #1.5)
  • Doms of Dark Haven 2: Western Nights (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #2.5)
  • The Men with the Golden Cuffs (Masters and Mercenaries, #2)
  • Wicked Ties (Wicked Lovers, #1)
  • Their Virgin Captive (Masters of Ménage, #1)
  • A Taste of Sir (Doms of Decadence, #6)
  • Reveal Me, Sir (Doms of Decadence, #9)
  • A is for... (BDSM Checklist, #1)
  • Forever Yours, Sir (Doms of Decadence, #2)
  • With This Collar (Mastered, #1)
  • Nobody's Angel (Rescue Me Saga, #1)
  • A Dom is Forever (Masters and Mercenaries, #3)
  • Submitting to the Lawyer (Cowboy Doms, #4)
  • Make Me, Sir (Doms of Decadence, #5)
  • Submitting to the Sheriff (Cowboy Doms, #2)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, she’s renowned for writing heart-wrenching romances with laugh-out-loud dialogue, alpha males, and absolutely sizzling sex.

I met my dearheart when vacationing in the Caribbean. Now I won’t say it was love at first sight. Actually since he stood over me, enjoying the view down my swimsuit top, I might have been a tad peeved—as well as attracted. Bu

Masters of the Shadowlands (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Breaking Free (Masters of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Lean on Me (Masters of the Shadowlands, #4)
  • Make Me, Sir (Masters of the Shadowlands, #5)
  • To Command and Collar (Masters of the Shadowlands, #6)
  • This is Who I Am (Masters of the Shadowlands, #7)
  • If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands, #8)
  • Show Me, Baby (Masters of the Shadowlands #8.5)
  • Servicing the Target (Masters of the Shadowlands, #10)
  • Protecting His Own (Masters of the Shadowlands, #11)