Start by marking “Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2)

Dark Citadel

(Masters of the Shadowlands #2)

After Kari breaks up with her date during Beginner's Night at Club Shadowlands, she's given the option to continue with an experienced dominant. Despite her steamy fantasies about BDSM, the inexperienced schoolteacher plans to simply observe. Yet under the unyielding hands of Master Dan, she not only participates, but gives him everything he asks for. There is nothing she ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Dark Citadel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Citadel

* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 3.5 STARS ♥♥♥

This was the second book in the Masters of Shadowland series. It was another short and steamy read, but I also felt it was quite better than the first.

This story is about a conservative high school teacher named Kari. She is dating a man named Buck, and both are interested in the BDSM scene. So, they both decide to take a beginners class at Club Shadowland. Unfortunately, things don't go so well because Buck was a total douchenozzle. Master Z saves her and decides to put her in
Sophia Triad
Beginners lessons at a private BDSM club.

Right... So this time, there is actually a story that takes place in Club Shadowlands. Kari is interested in the lifestyle and her wannabe boyfriend, Buck, who is also a wannabe Dom suggests that they attend some beginners lessons at the club.
Buck is pushy, Kari is overwhelmed and decides to leave the lessons. Master Z suggests a more experienced Dom for her. So, Kari becomes Master Dan's sub for the duration of the lessons.

The characters are well descr
Taryn

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

This is the second book in the Shadowlands series. While I did read this book first (on accident), I have to say I am so glad I did. I LOVED this book, which is surprising to me since it's not my normal cup of tea. I think if it wasn't for me reading Master Dan first, then I wouldn't have been so eager to read the rest of the books. Master Daniel is something else....the way he held Kari...so secure and tight in his arms....mmm...mmm...mmm...delicious!
Brainycat
I don't know why I took so long to finish this book. I think a lot of my reticence was a desire to savor it; there's only a few books in this series.

I don't like Master Dan as much as I like Master Z, but I'm probably more like Dan than Z. Go figure, eh? I really enjoyed the way Kari went from "nice catholic girl who doesn't do that sort of thing" to a willing sub who desperately wants and fights for her dom.

I would have liked to see Dan spend more time confronting the feelings holding him lock
Kristen
3 1/2 stars

Dark Citadel is the second book in Cherise Sinclair's, Masters of the Shadowland series. I liked this book more than the first but not as much as I'd hoped.

I did love the chemistry, respect, and understanding that developed between Master Dan and Kari. My heart melted with how tender Master Dan could be in reassuring and nurturing Kari's submissive side. I wanted to smack him, though, when his guilt and anger over his wife's death flared up, turning him cold and unfeeling.

What I
Rin W. Vitale
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, this was...

description

Actually, I was kind of hoping for Master Nolan to get his way but then Master Dan... Shhh..

Anyway! Now, I'm considering to read Master Nolan story!
Bea
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
This series challenges me on many levels. I believe the reason that it does is because it seems to get the point of BDSM. So many BDSM focused books go for the "titillation" factor rather than the deep psychological impact and depth of the relationships. Ms. Sinclair just "gets it". Her stories are compelling and emotionally charged.

From the beginning I could identify with Kari, the proper Catholic raised "good girl" who is both repelled by the control of Master Dan and BDSM and yet finds it som
Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ
4.5 Stars
Three words to describe this book HOLY MOTHER OF HOTNESS!!!!
I guess temperature of my room just increased!!

Master Daniel (pure breed of alpha male) is caring, thoughtful and easy going who doesn't take a sub for more than one night as he still mourns his wife’s death. But Kari the newbie sub changes his entire notion of fuck ‘em leave ‘em. She is sweet, curvy, innocent school teacher very conservative but brave enough to explore her sexuality. What Master Dan doesn't know is that she
Ale Rivero
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Daniel es todo un caso con sus dramas, pero Kari es la sub perfecta para hacerlo volver a la vida. Las idas y venidas entre los dos le da un toque bastante entretenido a la historia.
Además, con ellos empezamos a descubrir nuevos matices del mundo del BDSM y la importancia de la confianza y la determinación a la hora de decidir un estilo de vida concreto. Muy recomendable.

Los tipos testarudos no son lo mío, y más cuando se ponen en plan negador, así que me dieron ganas en varias ocasiones de dar
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Again the book didn't have much of a plot, just "sex", "kinkier sex" and "sex" again. Nevertheless, this book had all the good traits that the first one in the series had.

Master Dan

Hot, dark, thoughtful and a little tortured to make a good mix powerful Master Dan is a wet dream com true. Since the death of his wife he's been changing partners like socks until he meets Kari.

Kari

Kari is a school teacher and a closet sub and she is about to have her world rocked by a very sexy Dom. Again Kari w
Sláinte Wanderlust
Cover & Title - 4 out of 5
Favorite Line - “She could just imagine, all her friends and family mourning around her grave. The tombstone would read Kari Wagner, Died of Sheer Stupidity.
It would be almost as bad to have her grave marker read Died of Terminal Bedroom Boredom.”
Favorite Character - Kari

I was happy & surprised to find the book quite deep at parts. I loved Kari & Dan together, working with each other to help solve their issues. I thought that the build up & emotion be
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: The BookChick
Even better than the first!!
Jenny
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic-romance
Dark Citadel is book two of the Masters of the Shadowlands series by Cherise Sinclair. Kari Wagner and her boyfriend Buck decided to attend beginner's night at Club Shadowlands. On the night before the class started Kari and Buck had a confrontation, and Kari started to walk out of the Club. Master Z stop Kari and ask her would she like to continue the class with Master Dan. However, Master Dan and Kari did not realise by agreeing to Master Z request that their lives would change. The readers of ...more
MsRomanticReads

I've been Sinclaired and happy as a clam! I can't stop gushing about this series.

Kari accompanies her date to a beginner's night at Shadowlands. Her date, Buck, is a real jerk. Before long, she wants to leave and have nothing to do with the ridiculous idea of exploring this lifestyle. The ever observant Master Z picks up on her apprehension as well as her interest and offers to let her continue her exploration at the hands of an experienced Dom. She agrees and soon finds herself in the very cap
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Kari hesitantly steps through the doors of Club Shadowlands. As a teacher she isn’t the number one poster girl for a BDSM club, but that doesn’t stop her. She enters with her boyfriend, Buck. Though he’s a nice guy and they’ve done some BDSM stuff together, Kari doesn’t feel entirely safe with him as her Dom.

When they go for Beginner classes at Club Shadowlands, a fight with Buck leaves Kari regretting her decision to come even before the classes start. However, Master
Angela
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic
When I read the first in this series I was sent on a totally new experience in erotica. This second book just made me hook my claws into the genre crazily. Master Dan I think has taken my heart more than Master Z did in Club Shadowlands.
Again the story begins with a girl new to the experience and is taken swiftly under the caring arm of Master Dan. Their relationship grows quickly, but Master Dan has unwanted baggage that hold him back from fully embracing this new little Sub.
Another intensely d
Kim O
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan (sign) My kind of alpha. Sweet, but very protective! Loved his story. I'm so glad he was able to get over his grief and move on. Kari was perfect for him, just the kind of woman he needs. So far, this series is fantastic. Of course, meeting all the new characters has me excited about all the future books. I've never been to a BDSM club, so I wouldn't know, but from the perspective of someone new to this kind of world, IMO, Cheris Sinclair has done a great job depicting wh ...more
Amanda The Book Slayer
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

5/5 Sexy Stars *****

Another Steamy one for Cherise Sinclair. This book is all about Dan. We get to see him grow and learn to let go of the past to hold on the the present and future. I think Cherise Sinclair picked the perfect complement to Dan in Kari. Who better than a natural nurturer than a teacher. I loved the last big scene at the end of the book. *The chase scene* If you loved the first book then you will love this one!

descriptionPlusdescription
Susan ...so many books and so little time
What's not to say about this book...all I can say...before I need to go and take a cold shower...lol...is that it is HOT!!! And I am going to continue reading the series...it is that AMAZING!!!...ooooooooooh yeah!!!...
Kelly
Kari was a great character, but I really didn't like Dan. The way he treated her was just ridiculous. And the leather chaps? Come on - so cheesy. It had some great scenes, but this romance did not add up. Every time Dan opened his mouth, he said something so degrading and atrocious that Kari should have slapped him. Guy needed to be taught a lesson! Way too much machismo for me.
JoLee (Wickedly Delicious Book Blog)
It is rare to find a author who can top the first book in a series. Cherise Sinclair did that and more with Dark Citadel book 2 in the Master of the Shadowlands series. Her writing voice is beautiful and story telling is entertaining. What did it for me was by chapter 3 you already get beautiful descriptions, just enough back story on the characters, sizzling sexual tension, and you will fall in love with the Hero who is gentle and very loving.

“You’re allowed to look, sweetheart,” he murmured, r
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

While most of Cherise Sinclair’s stories deal with a sub who comes to terms with her sexuality through BDSM, Dark Citadel is more a story of a Dom who must overcome his fears of commitment after losing his wife.

When Kari goes to BDSM Club Shadowlands with her date, she finds the idea of bondage and domination meets needs within her she hadn’t realized. But her date turns obnoxious and she’s ready to leave, and Master Dan steps in with an offer to teach her about BDSM. They share a mutual attract
Cam *tactile seeker*

*3,5 stars*

My opinion hasn't changed much from when I read the first book of the series: the sex is really good, the depiction of the D/s dynamics is extremely interesting, almost to the point of being educational.
There's always the right amount of psychology, of slow discovery of what the Dom's role and his "talents" are, and the nature and motivation behind the sub's willing alienation of her power of making decisions, when it comes to her body, in favor of her "Master".

I find myself reading t
Future Slayer Girl
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, favorite
I have to say, I was honestly wondering how Sinclair going to top herself. I didn’t think it was possible, I didn’t think she had anything more to tell unless she went into the sadist side of BDSM, which frankly is a bit far for me. However, I was so surprised, and let’s just say it was hot! Not only did Sinclair write a great sub, that I could relate too, all the way down to the growing confusion and love for her Dom. But she gave us an actually well written Dom. Dan seemed to be intricately co ...more
Christy
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE the Master's of the Shadowlands series! For some reason I thought I had read then all but I skipped books 2 and 3 so I'm reading them now :-)

Master Dan... Lets be honest, he was never my favorite master in the other books. At times, he seemed like a bit of a jerk compared to the others. But, after reading his story I love him just as much as the others!

Kari, a conservative and modest school teacher makes her way to the Shadowlands with a guy she's been dating to take a beginner
Vintage
I read this sometime last year. Not sure when, but I need to review it.

I love the Shadowlands series. Master Z alone is responsible for my tag hero I would trade my husband for. Huumana huumana huumana. Can I say how glad I am this is relatively anonymous?

Kari is a buttoned up little school teacher who is introduced to big ole bad BDSM lifestyle by alpha ass-hat Master fricking Dan after she dumps her date at the door for being a wimpy ass-hat.

Poor Dan. He has a sad backstory, but cry me a riv
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
The second book in this series by Cherise Sinclair doesn’t disappoint at all! As good as the first one, this time we can see the story of another couple. Here we meet Kari, a schoolteacher, who is totally new to this scene. A serious of events made her be a part of a beginner BDSM class in the Shadowlands club. And there she meets Master Dan another Dom of the club.

I absolutely loved Kari! I found her brave and strong and, although at the beginning, I was thinking that no way a schoolteacher wil
Duchess Nicole
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well, this was was soo much better than the first. There were a couple of uncomfortable moments for me. The exhibitionism took it a bit far for my comfort level, but what did I expect, right?!

Master Dan is a real person, with a real life. His wife died three years ago, and since then, there has been no one in his life for more than a day. It seems as if he's so well liked among the other masters. Someone always has his back. When he meets Kari and is set as her Dom for the night, he is at first
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I started this book late last night because I couldn't sleep. So I thought a quick read would help me calm down. Well I was wrong. Ok,he's no Master Z but still Master Dan is a WOW too. Some scenes were pretty HOT in this book. I mean I had to stop and catch a breathe of fresh air. Master Dan was sexy but Kari was a feisty one and I thought that's what made them a great couple. I've really enjoyed this series so far and of course I didn't get much sleep after this book so I tried a crime book i ...more
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of erotica/BDSM
Recommended to Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer by: P.A.
Um - OK.....WOW. There were scenes in this book where I had to stop and go take a cold shower just so I could finish reading. Talk about Steamy HAWT. I loved Master Dan, sexy as all hell & Kari was a little spitfire when her temper got the best of her. What a great couple.

First read 4/11-4/12/12
Second read 2/26-2/28/16

Even better the second time around. The scene in the pleasure gardens was so freaking HAWT!
  • Doms of Dark Haven (Truckee Wolves #2; Hawkeye #2.5; Mountain Masters & Dark Haven #2)
  • Meredith's Awakening (Worthington Group, #2)
  • Kidnap and Kink (Taboo Wishes,  #2)
  • Masters at Arms (Rescue Me Saga, #0.5)
  • Afterlife (Knights of the Board Room, #4)
  • Graceful Submission (Graceful, #1)
  • Burn for You (Club Mephisto, #2)
  • Roped In (Bondage Ranch, #1)
  • The Reluctant Dom (Suncoast Society, #4)
  • Siren in the City (Texas Sirens, #2)
  • Submissive Beauty
  • A Little Harmless Lie (Harmless, #4)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, she’s renowned for writing heart-wrenching romances with laugh-out-loud dialogue, alpha males, and absolutely sizzling sex.

I met my dearheart when vacationing in the Caribbean. Now I won’t say it was love at first sight. Actually since he stood over me, enjoying the view down my swimsuit top, I might have been a tad peeved—as well as attracted. Bu

Masters of the Shadowlands (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Breaking Free (Masters of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Lean on Me (Masters of the Shadowlands, #4)
  • Make Me, Sir (Masters of the Shadowlands, #5)
  • To Command and Collar (Masters of the Shadowlands, #6)
  • This is Who I Am (Masters of the Shadowlands, #7)
  • If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands, #8)
  • Show Me, Baby (Masters of the Shadowlands #8.5; 1001 Dark Nights #7)
  • Servicing the Target (Masters of the Shadowlands, #10)
  • Protecting His Own (Masters of the Shadowlands, #11)
“It's hard for an educated woman to turn her head off. That's part of the joy of being a submissive. None of the decisions are yours. When you can't refuse anything and can't even move, those voices in your head go silent. All you can do, and all you are permitted to do, is feel.” 302 likes
“I’m a firm believer in equality at all times—”
“At all times?” She glanced at the cuffs clipped to his leathers. “Why do I find that hard to believe?” And why the heck was she arguing with him. Mine, mine, mine.
“At all times,” he repeated. “However, in the bedroom or in the club, I am a lot more equal than you.”
39 likes