Start by marking “Season of the Snake: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Season of the Snake: A Novel

Season of the Snake: A Novel

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
One of the Best Books for Reading Groups, Kirkus Reviews

Years after the tragic death of her first husband, Nance Able remarries and begins a new life in the West with Ned, a school principal whose quiet charm lulls her to contentment. A scientist tracking rattlesnakes in the wilderness of Hells Canyon, Idaho, Nance courts natural dangers, believing that conquering such ris
Published February 21st 2006 by Picador (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Season of the Snake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of the Snake

Vanessa
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
I ended up not really liking this book all that much. It's not poorly written per se, but I felt more connected to the landscapes in the book than I did the characters. And the plot was a little made-for-TV-movie for my taste. And using snakes as a metaphor for evil and danger just seemed extremely trite and clichéd. Definitely not one of my favorite books and I don't think I'd really recommend it.
Swanbender2001
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Davis' writing and characterization in Winter Range so looked forward to settling in to Season of the Snake and I wasn't disappointed. Ned's character was very disturbing but essential for a woman to encounter in a safe place and realize a monster like him exists in the real world and walks looking and smiling so able to reel us in....the snake in the grass, the reptilian brain; devoid of human consciousness.
While some may think the author's use of snakes as symbolism was a bit trite I
Marian Deegan
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With a title like this, how could I not at least pick the book up as I was browsing at Schwartz in February? When I turned to the back cover and saw that the first paragraph of advance praise for this book had been penned by Mark Spragg, I was in. Had to read it. {Spragg is another of my bedrock favorites.}

The words "Proustian", "literary" and "thriller" don't usually find themselves seat mates applauding for the same story, but in this case, the descriptives are apt, and as usual, following Ma
Ruby
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
This would have gotten more stars from me, considering the writing was pretty good, and I appreciate a novel with ample plot written in a literary style.

However, I didn't relate to the characters from whose point of view the story was told. I found the protagonist, Nance, to be boring, and the antagonist, Ned, to be insufferable, creepy, and haunting--in a bad way.

I found myself compelled to read nearly straight through, finished it in barely 24 hours. But I woke up this morning feeling anxiou
Periwinkle
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Christopher Jed
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
It's boring. I felt it's not engaging enough. Though I'm reading most of the reviews that the guy is some disturbing serial killer (which I'm very interested) but it's kinda painstakingly hard to read through the first few parts. I don't want to jump in on the latter part of the story so, I just stopped. Ugh. I bought this last year (I think) and I tried to read it a couple of times but I had to put it down for me to read on my other interesting books and I completely forgot about it. I picked i ...more
Kelley
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Having read "Winter Range" and found it lacking, I only read "Season of the Snake" on the recommendation of a family member. I was thrilled by it!! Her previously dark writing has found real focus and structure. "Season of the Snake" does a great job getting you to care about the characters, and although you may think you know where it is going... it either takes you there in such a unique fashion, or twists how far and where it goes... that the whole ride is a joy. Truly got under my skin and s ...more
Linda
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm hating this book. I bought a cheap audio version for car trips and wish I could pull over and kick the author in the butt to get to the meat of it. She's so enchanted with her word useage that she over elaborates, and it's such a bore. Sometimes a walk is just a walk, but she can carry on forever about the bounce in the walk, what the person is hearing, seeing, wearing, thinking, ad naseum.

I hate this book but am too cheap to throw it out. Torture!

Story line was good, hated the writer and he
Molly
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ptreick
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a bit bogged down in some of the descriptions of nature, beautifully written but ultimately holding me back from the plot at times. I kept paging ahead, peeking to see when the ruminative natural world took second seat to the creepiness of the plot. I like to think I would know if my husband were a... well, whatever he was... but still the protagonist was intelligent and interesting. I'll read more by Claire Davis.
Denese Bass
This book sort of evolved as it went along, keeping you guessing as to exactly what the main character's husband was up to while she was away on business (counting rattlesnakes in their dens). Her first husband was killed in a random attack. Her second husband...seems so 'nice'...but he is not at all what he seems.
Rose
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel starts out very ho-hum, a woman and a man have a have a very happy, comfortable marriage, albeit she has a strange profession (snake scientist). He is a school principle. Enter her sister, whom she has been long-estranged from (the story explains that, and it all begins to get interesting). I have read previous novels by this author, and she's a very good story teller.
Amy McElroy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-scary
this novel was a very fun read about a very disturbed person, but it read like i was watching a thriller on TV; quickly paced with just a little info leaked to the reader at a time. Considering the well-woven story, i was fairly let down by the unclimatic and uninteresting ending.
Christina
Apr 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Compact, utterly horrifying and fascinating and yet educational(!) all at the same time. My heart RACED through the last half-hour of reading. Proof that it doesn't take excess words to tell a can't-tear-your-eyes-from-the-wreck-at-the-side-of-the-road tale.
Maicie
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I picked this book up at the library I didn't realize I had already read it. It was worth reading again.

It contains some of my favorite things: women with backbone, realistic relationships, nature and psychos.

Great book if you like psychological thrillers.
Kristie
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Didn't get truly interesting until half way through. As the story develops I waited for the deep dark secret that Ned was hiding. Then waited for Nance to figure it out. The author left a lot of the events to interpretation.
Lisa Greer
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thriller lovers
Shelves: thriller
This was a great horror/thriller. A woman marries the wrong man, and scary stuff ensues. I can't wait to read more from Ms. Davis.
Jackie Trimble
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
You know, between snakes & serial killers, I thought I'd be more "eeked" out during the reading of this. Not so much. But, still a very nicely written book.
Karen
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone looking for something different
Well written complicated (but not hard to follow) story about a marriage unraveling because of a spouse's true character. A mystery of sorts, but not in the traditional sense.
Pam
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good mystery thriller with a herpetologist protagonist. I liked the way it captured the setting.
Trisha Mason
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Disappointing ending after all the suspense.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This book was such a let down. I hated the ending, hated it. The suspense is there and the story has is moments but over all it just was all over the place and hard to follow.
Lorene
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The only reason I read this book is because it takes place in Idaho. it wasn't bad though.
part time librarian
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
good book, Sister relationship, outdoors adventure, and murder. should of had a different ending but still well worth the read.
Christopher Nelson
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, really. Strong novel, but the rising action is a little stretched.
Jessica Stuart