Start by marking “A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #2)

A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Alan, the beadle of the manor of Bampton, had gone out at dusk to seek those who might violate curfew. When, the following morning, he had stillnot returned home, his young wife Matilda sought out Master Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff of the manor.

Two days later Alan's corpse is discovered in the hedge, at the side of the track to St. Andrew's Chapel. His throat ha
Published February 19th 2010 by Monarch Books (first published October 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel

Vera Godley
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When venturing into the pages of a Mel Starr novel, one steps into medieval England in the mid 1300s. Thoroughly enjoy these sojourns in the villages and across Shill Brook with the incomparable Hugh de Singleton Surgeon and bailiff of Lord Gilbert's estate and village. For those unfamiliar, Master Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon a character of many fine points that the author develops quite well. Singleton is Oxford educated and medically read and trained. He is friend of John Wycliffe (Bible Transl ...more
Ceren Ünlü
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melvin R. Starr'ın yazdığı Cerrah Hugh de Singleton'un ''ikinci'' günlüğü CESEDİN ŞİFRESİ okundu, bitti.
Kitabı büyük bir keyifle okudum. Karakterler gerçekçi, kurgu nefes kesiciydi. Kitabın geçtiği dönem (1300'lü yıllar) çok iyi betimlenmişti. Ve diyebilirim ki, yazar gerçekten yüreği ile yazıyor. Esrarengiz bir olayı çok iyi kurmuş, başarıyla çözmüş. :))
Beni bir polisiye romanı olarak en çok etkileyen kısım ise olayların geçtiği dönem. Hugh bir mübaşir olarak katilleri bulmakla görevli, aynı za
Annet
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
3.5 stars for this 2nd chronicle of Hugh de Singleton. I liked the first book a bit better, because it told more about the life and background of Master Hugh, leading up to a crime story. This one plunges right into a medieval crime mystery. All in all, quite a nice book to read.
Anna Catharina
Nicht ganz so spannend und kurzweilig wie der erste Band, doch immer noch interessant und gut geschrieben. Der Kriminalfall kommt zwar etwas zu kurz, die Geschichte entwickelt sich nur langsam, dafür hat mich die Charakterisierung und das Setting überzeugt.
Karen Brooks
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The second book in Starr’s series about Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff for Lord Gilbert Talbot, centres on solving the murder of the beadle of Bampton, Alan. Found outside St Andrew’s Chapel, Alan has had his throat ripped out and mysterious marks on his body. The coroner decides it was a wolf that killed him. Hugh, of course, isn’t convinced and so sets out to discover just who or what took the beadle’s life. Only, his investigations put his own at risk and, when he’s attacked late one ...more
Jasmyn
Mar 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a murder mystery set in the small area of Bampton in old England. We follow our detective, Mast Hugh de Singleton, as he tries to solve the case of a brutal murder. A man has been found with his throat slashed in the bushes near the road leading to St. Andrew's Chapel. While investigating the murder, he uncovers an unusual trail of related crimes that leads to quite a stunning conclusion.

While I was able to guess several of the details before they were explained by Hugh. However, as the
Susan in NC
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5-4 stars - I am a big fan of historical mystery series, and this may become a new favorite. I read the first book in the series, "The Unquiet Bones", several years ago and enjoyed the characters, especially young surgeon Hugh de Singleton but thought the pacing was a bit slow. A GR friend reviewed a more recent installment which prompted me to seek out book two to see what I've been missing (Thanks, Judy!)

Hugh is very engaging - young, still unsure of himself in his role as bailiff at Bampton
Ruth
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-historical
c2009.Such a sweet little book made enjoyable because of the historical details. The crime is secondary to the life of the various classes in medieval England. Lovely details of the meals eaten and the reasons for the various components. However, the best things about this book is the wry, dry and subtle humour that consistently weaves through the chapters. FWFTB: beadle, curfew, surgeon, severed, wolf. FCN: Master Hugh de Singleton, Thomas atte Bridge, John Kellet, Lord Gilbert (in absentia but ...more
Barış Erdem
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Oldukça anlaşılır bir dilde yazılmış rahat okunabilen bir kitap.Ancak hikaye çok yavaş ilerliyor ve olaylar sonunda pek de insanı şaşırtmayacak şekilde bir çırpıda çözülüyor.Yazarın bir potansiyeli var, çok daha gizemli ve etkileyici yazabilir diye düşünüyorum ama bu kitabı beni pek tatmin etmedi.
Sharon
Once again, the medieval sleuth (bailiff/surgeon) charmingly finds his criminal, saving lives and philosophizing along the way. Fantastic how historically accurate and realistic this series is.
Catherine
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another interesting mystery unraveled by my favorite 14th century English surgeon/bailiff.
Susanne
I don't usually start book series with the second book, but in this case, books #2 and #4 of the wonderfully medieval mysteries Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles were sitting on the paperback cart besides our small town library's door, and the covers, then the titles, struck me. I invested my quarter and purchased book #2, and once I had started it, made sure I acquired book #4 on my next library trip.

I quite enjoyed this leisurely mystery, full of details of medieval life in a village outs
PeterK B
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is book two of the series. Medieval history fiction/murder mystery with a man who is a surgeon and a bailiff doing the investigation

(3.5 stars) It is nearly as enjoyable as the first one (The Unquiet Bones) because of the well-rounded, likable, protagonist Hugh. Oh, perhaps the attitudes are somewhat 21st century: kindness to others, morality, etc. I suppose there were some like that in the 14th century .. a few in any event.

The mystery is interesting, as is the investigation. This series
Judith Shadford
Yes, I liked it, though another half-star would be nice to apply. It's a quiet mystery, moving at the pace of travel in the late 14th century England. A lot of local culture, well-enough applied to be pertinent to the story, not too heavy-handed. I objected to throwing in a glossary of terms from the era, but then used it throughout the story--so get over your snobbery, you.

One of the pretty fine things was adding John Wyclif to the storyline, as Sir Hugh's friend in Oxford, as well as Richard C
Melissa Michelle
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book series!!!
JoeBlack
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read, czech
Another great adventures of medieval surgeon and bailiff Hugh de Singleton. A must read for all detective stories lovers.
Ashley
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So complicated. I would say that this is the only flaw. I absolutely love the honest humor and contemplation of Hugh; Starr creates a character who is very relatable to the modern reader despite the cultural context gap. While all his stories have subplots that eventually cross with the main plot, this one has more than normal. They all get worked out beautifully in the end, but it definitely made it harder for me to play detective with him.
Soozee
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just as interesting as the first, and the life story of the character develops further. I'm enjoying this series - it is pretty important to read them in the right order if possible.
Shannon
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is new to me and I wasn't sure what to expect, but must say I was pleasantly surprised. This is the second book in the series "The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton" but is a great stand alone read...up until the last chapter! I don't enjoy books that leave you hanging but can see where the ending is leading into book three. Very effective writing. I am hooked.

This mystery, filled with an interesting bunch of characters, where things aren't as they seem to be, is written in 1365, begi
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a light fast book that is about the likeable surgeon and bailiff Hugh de Singleton. Hugh seems to be a forward thinker. He tells you about the procedures he performs while curing various injuries and how his thoughts differ from what was then the norm. It gives the reader a good, but not overbearing, look at the state of medicine at the time. He also tends to wax philosophic about religious matters. It is a rather prevalent theme in the book and he talks about it a lot. He is not preachy ...more
Lisa Johnson
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title: A Corpse at St. Andrew’s Chapel (Hugh de Singleton #2)
Author: Melvin R. Starr
Pages: 300
Year: 2009
Publisher: Monarch Books
This is the second book in the series featuring Hugh de Singleton as the surgeon and mystery solver. The setting is the village of Bampton, also featured in the first book in the series, in the year 1365. It is spring and death has come to the village again. This time the victim is the village beadle, a man in charge of fences, hedges, etc… as well as making sure all i
Meikoyim
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I might be raiding through the series a bit too fast.

But I've learned by now that this series is to be classed as a leisure series and not really meant to be philosophical and thought provoking as the religious undertone sets out to be.

It tries to, but mostly they become one-liners that seem to provoke something but don't run as deep as the witty one-liners that are peppered with dry humour. The latter invoke a giggle, whilst the former makes you ponder only long enough to read the middl
Bethany Marks
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-fun-club, own-it
A perfect blend of English bucolic ease and murder village-style drama, A Corpse at St. Andrew’s Chapel is second in a series about Hugh de Singleton, a surgeon and bailiff of Lord Gilbert Talbot’s manor at Bampton.

Hugh has several mysteries to solve. First the beadle, who maintains curfew, among other things, died during the night along the path to St. Andrew’s Chapel. But, the plot thickens. Andrew was not killed by a wolf, Hugh suspects, although plenty of evidence points to that resolution.
Charline Ratcliff
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While "A Corpse at St Andrew's Chapel" was a really great read it definitely was not what I was originally expecting. The title sounded intriguing; it sounded medieval and having a corpse found outside a place of worship made me wonder if there would be an unnatural element like a werewolf or vampire included in the tale. I performed my customary Amazon research and the plot description seemed to validate my initial feelings.

It's spring. The year is 1365 and Alan the beadle, or manor officer, le
Serpil Kır
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mervin R. Starr // Cesedin Şifresi

Hugh de Singleton’un ikinci günlüğü olan CESEDİN ŞİFRESİ her satırında beni meraktan çatlatıp nihai sona ermeyi başararak bitti….

İlk kitaptan aldığım aynı lezzet ve hafiyelik duygusunu bu kitabın her satırında yine hissetmem, günlüğün üçüncüsünü beklemem de en büyük etken….
Tarzıma uzak olduğunu düşündüğüm her kitap bu aralar nedense hep beni yansıtıyor. Sanırım zamanla birlikte bende değişiyorum…
İlk yorumda da bahsettiğim gibi 1365 li yılların en farklı zamanlar
Brendan
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
When the Surgeon and Bailiff Hugh de Singleton is called to the scene of an accidental death by St. Andrews chapel, little does he anticipate the trouble it will bring. Starr's second novel in the Singleton chronicles continues the carefully-crafted medieval world and strong characterizations that made up such a big part of the first novel (The Unquiet Bones). A few thoughts:

- The pacing of the novel is slow, but manageable and still good. But this isn't a rip-roaring thriller. In fact, it neit
Cindy
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

Set in 1365, in a small English village, Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff for Lord Gilbert Talbot finds himself in the middle of several mysterious deaths and occurences. A dead beadle (manor officer in charge of curfew and other duties for the Lord) is the trigger to all the mystery that Hugh finds himself in the middle of. It looks like an attack by a wild animal, only there are several things that trigger Hugh's suspicions. The beadles shoes are missing, and he has a caved in spot on hi
Mary
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
"A Corpse at St. Andrew's Chapel" is book 2 of "The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon." It stands alone perfectly. I didn't even know it was book two until after I had finished reading it.
My favorite genre to read is mystery or suspense. I had a few doubts about this book when I realized it was set in 1365, had a five page glossary and contained a map! So, despite feeling a bit intimidated, I got started. And I enjoyed the book! Author Mel Starr grabbed my attention right off the bat, a
ChrisGA
The first thing that struck me as I read this medieval murder mystery is the author’s depth of knowledge of the customs and lives of town residents in the 1360s. The author teaches medieval history, and his command of the subject is evident. I enjoyed the way class attitudes, Wycliff’s writings, medieval medicine and superstitions, and the residual effects of the plague were all worked into the storyline. I was VERY thankful for the glossary provided by author as unfamiliar terms abound.
The mys
Tracy
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the second in the series of Hugh De Singleton. In the first we meet Hugh, a young new surgeon attempting to establish a practice. As luck would have it a landed Lord is injured in front of his building a and Hugh's skills save his leg. Lord Singleton then employs Hugh to be surgeon on his estate. Not long afterward the Lord's baliff dies. Hugh helps solve the identity of some bones found in the castle cesspit. The Lord then insists that Hugh take on the role of Baliff for at least a year ...more
  • Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • The Manor of Death (Crowner John Mystery #12)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Christmas Garland (Christmas Stories, #10)
Mel Starr was born and grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. After graduating with a MA in history from Western Michigan University in 1970, he taught history in Michigan public schools for thirty-nine years, thirty-five of those in Portage, MI, where he retired in 2003 as chairman of the social studies department of Portage Northern High School. Mel and his wife, Susan, have two daughters and seven gra ...more
More about Melvin R. Starr

The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon (10 books)
  • The Unquiet Bones (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #1)
  • A Trail of Ink (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #3)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • The Tainted Coin (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #5)
  • Rest Not in Peace (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #6)
  • The Abbot's Agreement (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #7)
  • Ashes to Ashes (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #8)
  • Lucifer's Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)
  • Deeds of Darkness (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #10)
“I have learned that it is easier to say later what one should have said before, than to unsay what should not have been said at all.” 5 likes