Start by marking “Mastering the Rubber Guard: Jiu Jitsu for Mixed Martial Arts Competition” as Want to Read:
Mastering the Rubber Guard: Jiu Jitsu for Mixed Martial Arts Competition

Mastering the Rubber Guard: Jiu Jitsu for Mixed Martial Arts Competition

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In Mastering the Rubber Guard, Eddie Bravo, the only American to submit a member of the legendary Gracie family in jiu-jitsu competition, reveals the techniques and strategy of the Rubber Guard, a revolutionary system of grappling designed specifically for the street and mixed martial arts competition.

Through descriptive narrative and nearly a thousand color photographs, B
Published December 15th 2006 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published September 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Rubber Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering the Rubber Guard

Jason
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great for those looking for more jiu-jitsu moves, but can't necesarily find a good gym/instructor to practice with. Good color photos on high-quality pages take you through the moves step by step (and most from different angles as well) to give you a complete idea of the moves, with simple, easy to follow instructions to walk you through the process.
The only thing that is a little out there is (as most people who have reviewed this book will say and agree with me on) is the introduction. It is
Nate
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret that I'm a total mark for Victory Belt's body of work. Co-authors Erich Krauss and Glen Cordoza have also done books with Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Randy Couture, B.J. Penn, Karo Parisyan, Marcelo Garcia and Anderson Silva and I've enjoyed them all.

Thanks to the generosity of the fine folks at Victory Belt, I've been able to go back and review some of their earliest publications like Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Rubber Guard.

Its hard to believe that its been two
Ian Cattanach
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damn. The introduction was worth the whole price of this book. Eddie Bravo somehow works in getting stoned, into the whole equation of his brazilian jiu jitsu system. In submission wrestling/grappling/bjj the aggressive styles were dominating compettions. Until someone like Jean jaques Machado came around, no one understood the overhook for sub. grappling. Locking down your opponent forced them to play your game. Jean Machado had no fingers so he couldn't grip, so he used the overhook to dominat ...more
Patrick
May 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: specialinterest
Fantastically and richly detailed. Extensive high-quality, color photos and explanations lay out the framework for this most unique of BJJ practitioners. Truly innovative and ground-breaking work organized in a superb fashion. I'll be purchasing any book this guy puts out.

Just don't bother with his 50-page introduction on why you should smoke marijuana.
Craig Cunningham
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book is incredible. I cannot say enough about it. I practice Jiu Jitsu, and Eddie Bravo has truly come up with a new concept in the area of Jiu Jitus. This has changed the way I train Jiu Jitsu in many ways. The book presents ideas on the issues of a very aggressive guard, and I find it incredible.
John Balouris
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know it might seem strange, and no, I don't feel the need to explain, but this book seriously sparked a major epiphany which changed my entire life view and I'm not even touching on the truly revolutionary techniques which are the ground level for anyone looking to be a student of 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu's Rubber Guard System.
Richard Ty
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book about the special half guard of Eddie Bravo and ofcourse his rubber guard. I still use the rubber guard and the oldschool sweep from this book. Be carefull though that you don't skipp learning the basics just because you want to do rubber guard.
Chris Brown
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. It took my half guard game to an all new level.
Jeff
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, jiu-jitsu
Eddie Bravo annoys me to no end, but he's god some good jiu jitsu. The rubber guard has been a stable in my guard game since I first discovered it.
Will
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-undated
Not as good as seminar in person with Eddie, but a great reference book. If you have an opponent who does NOT know these techniques you will own them until they come up to speed :)
Momin
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone who wants to quickly advance on to higher levels of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Thomas Syphilis
  • Mixed Martial Arts: The Book of Knowledge
  • Jiu-Jitsu University
  • Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano
  • Inventing the AIDS Virus
  • The Traveler's Key to Ancient Egypt: A Guide to the Sacred Places of Ancient Egypt
  • Gracie Jiu-Jitsu: The Master Text
  • Warrior Cardio: The Revolutionary Metabolic Training System for Burning Fat, Building Muscle, and Getting Fit
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to Lean and Powerful: Using Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable, Lasting and Dramatic Physical Change
  • The Soul Fallacy: What Science Shows We Gain from Letting Go of Our Soul Beliefs
  • Manual Of Freediving: Underwater On A Single Breath

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99