Start by marking “Pegasus in Flight (The Talents Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
Pegasus in Flight (The Talents Saga #2)

Pegasus in Flight

(The Talent #2)

As director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinated the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. And though she had her hands full dealing with the unreasonable demand for kinetics to work on the space platform that would be humankind's stepping-stone to the stars, she was always ready to welcome new Talents to the Center.

Feisty and
Published April 9th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus in Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus in Flight

Start your review of Pegasus in Flight (The Talents Saga #2)
N.
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved this book when I was young and read it at least a dozen times. But when I picked it up this time (years after I last read it), I was unpleasantly jolted by the unexamined assumptions McCaffrey makes about poverty and non-Western cultures throughout the book: these show up in her minor characters, her major characters, and her own writing. I have the impression now that the book was written in a rush, and certainly not to its credit.
Sayra
May 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With a plot all about young Talents stopping a child trafficking scheme, the book gets creepy when an older "good" man basically imprints on a 12yo. That he will wait for her to be older doesn't really change the fact that he's perving on a child. This is too disturbing to make this a good read, which is a shame since I ordinarily like McCaffrey's.
Karen’s Library
I'm not sure how many times I've actually read this one, but it's still a favorite!!
Yune
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Early McCaffrey counts as comfort reading. This one's amusing, but sadly losing the spark it held for me in my childhood. In too many ways she only scratches the surface: of the underlying social issues, of the characters' pysches, and even of one of the major romances.
Douglas Milewski
Pegasus in Flight (1990) is the talents book that nobody asked for, one written to link up with her other psychic books set in the Nine Star League. Fluffy to a fault, the future depicted in this work is simultaneously utterly terrifying and authoritarian, and that's the good guys. The bad guys are worse.

The book itself follows three main plot lines: Tirla, Retinger, and the forced labor building of a space station. You read that right, forced labor. People are scared of talents because they're
keikii Eats Books
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out my blog keikii eats books!

82 points, 4 stars!

Quote:
How can there be that many illegal children in the Residentials? Jerhattan City Manager Teresa Aiello demanded of Medical Chief Harv Dunster. Your people are supposed to tie off after a second pregnancy.

Review:
Well, Pegasus in Flight was definitely less troublesome than To Ride Pegasus was. I mean, I still have some major "what the fuck" issues. Yet those issues aren't anywhere
Teresa
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Pegasus in Flight' is the second in the "Talent" series. This book takes place about sixty years after 'To Ride Pegasus.' Rhyssa Owens is now the director is the Eastern Parapsychic Center. This story is more about two children that come under Rhyssa's tutelage: Tirla and Peter.

Tirla lives in the dens and warrens of the Linears, large 'projects' the blanket the metro center now called Jerhattan (New Jersey and Manhattan have combined to form one massive city.) She makes a living through her
Veronica
Oh boy. On the one hand, this is a really fun, exciting story that gives a lot of agency to its teen/preteen protagonists (a paraplegic boy named Peter who turns out to be telekinetic, and a pre-teen girl named Tirla who has carved out a niche for herself with her telepathic gift for translation despite her "illegal" status as an excess child born in violation of strict population control laws) and overall I think this is the book in the trilogy that I tend to come back to. On the other, the ...more
Miranda
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
A recent sci-fi book put me on a nostalgia kick for all the sci-fi loves of my childhood. This one could not endure the scrutiny. All of McCaffrey's books suffer from her lionization of beautiful, talented people with special destinies who are permitted to save (and sneer at) the common folk. The dragonrider books had this problem. I guess I never noticed, growing up, since I loved her marginal characters- Menoly and Nerilka, Tirla and Peter. However, these characters are socialized by adults ...more
Nightwitch
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Four stars because this was a favorite of my adolescence, but I have to say re-reading it reminded me of an argument I got into with a middle-aged man, back in my misspent youth. He was proclaiming the virtues of a certain Golden Age science fiction writer (I won't say which) and how this man wrote great books for young girls who liked science fiction, to which I responded, in essence, "Maybe back in the day that was true, but in this age of Anne McCaffrey and Robin McKinley, no." Young me had ...more
Dan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I read this a couple of times as a teenager, and it was reliable enough for those times when I just needed a fun, easy book to get through that I still had a copy on my shelf. It's been a while, though, and reading it as an adult was a jarring experience.

Just to start with: the book expresses some truly nasty assumptions about people from south and west Asia -- "Neesters," in the slang of the book -- up to and including characters blessing a much older man essentially claiming a 12-year-old girl
Hope Ranker
I originally read this as a kid in the nineties, and I remember really liking it. Going back and rereading it as an adult, it didn't hold up very well. To my eyes today this early McCaffrey world smacked of mild sexism, moderate racism, and a whollop of uncomfortable biological essentialism. Class struggles were OK in the end so long as you could escape them by having the upper class take you under their wing and lift you into their world. The thing that brought this up to a 3 for me instead of ...more
Rena Sherwood
Highly disappointing effort from a usually good writer. Who cares about these chracters? I sure didn't. I made the mistake of reading this book without reading the first, but I am not interested enough in these mutant characters and their ugly world to read any more of the series.

The only good bit of writing was when one girl ate a fresh green pepper. If not for that passage, this book would get zero stars.
Jennine
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whoooooooo, does this one not hold up well. Antiquated ideas about gender, sex and sexuality, and race are a persistent problem in McCaffrey's back catalog, but if I've read one of her books that's worse on those fronts, I've blocked it out. I instantly loved Tirla, and following her story kept me reading through repeated wincing, but she's not enough to redeem the book.
George Sterling
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Just finished reading the second in the talent series for the second time and still could not stop reading . Anne McCaffrey is one of my favorite authors her books have always kept me entertained.
Brian Gaston
Not a bad book but the characters in the Pern series work better for me.
Chinook
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 2020 - Well, yikes. I still enjoy the characters of Peter and Tirla, but the older man, young teen thing is even more glaring than usual and I dont even know where to start with the racism. ...more
Kessily Lewel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book in the Saga of the Talent series hands down. It's the first book that was planned as a book. The previous one was a collection of short stories in this universe so it didn't have the same cohesive feel as this one does. This book is about two talented children with very different powers from extremely different backgrounds.

First we meet Tirla, a young lady who doesn't even realize she's Talented and thinks it's perfectly natural to be able to understand and speak every
Erin Penn
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, I am not sure I have ever read this book. It came out after I became an adult, had a good job, and could easily buy whatever I wanted, so it's been on my shelf forever - traveling across the country over 2,000 miles in various moves but I think I read it for the first time yesterday. Problem with the good job and adulthood is finding time to read. Lack of good job does have some pluses.

I've been reading so much new stuff from urban fantasy, romance, self-published, and new writers, I
Shirley Durr
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book is a novel that combines the stories of two exceptional and unique Talented children. Picking up several years after Book #1, it deals with political manipulations and attempts by corrupt and greedy individuals to exploit Talent for personal gain. Sound familiar?

The setting is an Earth bursting with overpopulation and wide gaps between the haves and the have nots. But there are plans to build a platform for moving some of the human race into space. The Talent are to play a part
Riley
I absolutely loved this book! I didn't know it was part of a series, so I'm going to read the others in the trilogy. It's also caused a burgeoning hunger for more sci-fi like it - almost all of my books are fantasy, but I have a few of Anne McCaffrey's other books in the genre. When I was doing something else, I often found myself drifting into thinking about the book.
I picked it from my unread books ($5 a bag book sales are AMAZING) for a read-a-thon, and I'm so glad I did - but I'm also oddly
Jonathan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to the genre of sci-fi,I still have so many books to read, and this novel proves that. Not only is this the first sci-fi novel I've read in a while,but it's also the first Anne McCafferty novel I've come across. In it,Girls is a gifted child who has a gift for learning languages quickly and Peter is a child who is dealing with accepting recovering from an accident that paralyzed him,and both of them are trying to make a living in a society that doesn't accept them. Furthermore, ...more
John
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plowed through most of this on the plane Sunday...great read though I'm missing the last one. And the intermediate one before the Rowan time wise...read the Rowan years ago (along with the next 3). Wish I'd kept them 'cause I'm tempted to read them all again since it's fresh in my mind, but probably won't.

Interesting to see how the Earth has changed between the first book and this one. Not that you see lots of the changes, but there's enough you can see if you're paying attention.
Darryl
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book leading into the Rowan series! After being disappointed with the Tower and the Hive, I was leary of going back to the beginning, but now I am amazed that I had not heard anything on this book. After reading this book, I am really tempted to reread the Rowan and the rest of the series again...!!!
Larry Wegman
A fairly good story about kids with special powers, the people who want to use them selfishly, and those who want to direct them toward the good while also protecting them. Set in a very crowded, not-all-that-far future.
Erin Casteel
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Am I outgrowing McCaffrey? Ive loved her books for so long, and yet this reading fell kind of flat to me. I still do like her worldbuilding and plotting...maybe just looking for more finesse with language? Ah well. Ill still re-read her books. ...more
Shannon
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books get better and better - and its fascinating to read them as an older, more politically jaded/savvy(?!!) individual. The side story of Tirla and Sascha squicks me out MUCH more than it used to. No more of this man falling in love with a child, please! ...more
RavenKrysstene
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit slow on the uptake, especially since I've been struggling with concentration issues. But about halfway into it, I couldn't put it down. Intriguing and exciting. And I look forward to starting the next book in the series.
Mike
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another exceptional story from a master storyteller!

Anne McCaffrey scores again. Pegasus in Flight continues a gripping story and once again the characters grab you and draw you along throughout the action packed story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragon's Code (Pern, #25)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
  • Closer to the Chest (The Herald Spy, #3)
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1)
  • The Hills Have Spies (Valdemar: Family Spies #1, Valdemar #43)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Foundation (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

The Talent (3 books)
  • To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)
  • Pegasus in Space (The Talent, #3)