Start by marking “Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)

Jurassic Park

(Jurassic Park #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  889,519 ratings  ·  16,230 reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now humankind’s most thrilling fantasies have come true. Creatures extinct for eons roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them—for a price. Until something goes wrong. . . .--back cover
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published December 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published November 7th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jurassic Park, please sign up.
Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos …moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Lisa As a parent, I was reading this, and was wondering if I'd let my 11 year old son read it. I think it was pretty okay with the exception of one part. I…moreAs a parent, I was reading this, and was wondering if I'd let my 11 year old son read it. I think it was pretty okay with the exception of one part. It gets pretty descriptive in one part while talking about breeding, particularly mentioning a certain male body part (which is named) being inserted into a female body part in alligators. If your kid already knows about the birds and bees this will probably just cause a giggle fest, if not, they now will. Something, I'm sure, every parent would like to be forewarned on. (less)

·  889,519 ratings  ·  16,230 reviews

Start your review of Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Lesson from this book: Kids are annoying and will get you killed.

Ok I’m slightly exaggerating but have you noticed how frustrating children characters are during a crisis?

I’m sure they would be during the apocalypse or when being tracked by dinosaurs but I wanted to throw my phone at the wall a few times while reading this book.

With that said, I now have a new completely reasonable phobia, being eaten alive by a dinosaur.

Crichton did an amazing job at keeping me on my toes and completely stress
Miranda Reads
description

New week, New BookTube Video - all about the best (and worst) literary apocalypses to live through!
The Written Review

description

“Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.”
Jurassic Park has all the major problems of a theme park, a zoo...and genetically altered prehistoric animals.

That's right - the dinosaurs are back from the dead and nothing - I repeat nothing - could go wrong...right?

Ha.

As my favorite character, Ia
Alejandro
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I am from that pr
Wendy Darling
Rereading for obvious reasons. :D :D :D :D
carol.
Put me down for "liked the movie a little more."

description

"But scientific power is like inherited wealth: attained without discipline. You read what others have done, and you take the next step. You can do it very young. You can make progress very fast. And because you can stand on the shoulders of giants, you can accomplish something quickly. You don’t even know exactly what you have done, but already you have reported it, patented it, and sold it."

Malcolm: Edge goes to movie for Ian, by the visual. Th
Luffy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

So, straight to it. Jurassic Park, the book, is inimitable, apart from a few clumsy attempts. One thing that differentiated it from its wannabes is that, unlike books about sharks, snakes or let's say, zombies, dinosaurs come in very varied shapes. This means that the way the casualties meet their end is just as variable.

Michael Crichton props up his last act with inspired flair and experienced cunning. He knows that the action in this book will go only so far, just like last acts in an all o
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jurassic Park: a novel (Jurassic Park #1), Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). A cautionary tale about genetic engineering, it presents the collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its real world implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995.

In 1989, a series of
Anne
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Hey, did y'all know they made a movie out of this one?

Matt
Nov 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
“The hooting was louder as [he] scrambled to his feet and staggered back against the side panel of the car, as a wave of nausea and dizziness swept over him. The dinosaur was close now, he could feel it coming close, he was dimly aware of its snorting breath.

But he couldn’t see.

He couldn’t see anything, and his terror was extreme.

He stretched out his hands, waving them wildly in the air to ward off the attack he knew was coming.

And then there was a new, searing pain, like a fiery knife in hi
Kay
“Let’s be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven’t got the power to destroy the planet—or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves.”🥚🦖🦕

Fabulous book! Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton is the OG of scifi-horror-adventure-thriller. 🔬🧬 I haven't seen the movie in a while and don't remember enough to compare. But I think both are equally great. If I remember correctly though, I don't think the girl in the movie is as annoying as the one in the book.

I lis
Zora
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Mario the lone bookwolf
This is one of Crichton's best novels, which varied widely in quality, and could be called part of the foundation of the Sci-Fi thriller genre with mainstream media adaptions and many great, new authors following in this footsteps.

Until the first hybrids, most novels of this genre were pure fiction with fantasy or Sci-Fi elements and analysis and criticism of society, until the first interdisciplinary approaches came and lead to today's milestones like the works of Suarez, Sakey, and others who
Sr3yas
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❝ Discovery, they believe, is inevitable. So they just try to do it first. That's the game in science.❞
-------------- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

❝ All the Dinosaurs feared the T-Rex❞
------ Wade Wilson, Deadpool (2016)

🎵Velociraptor, he’s gonna find ya
He’s gonna kill ya, he’s gonna eat ya 🎵
----- Velociraptor, Kasabian

Welcome..... to Jurassic Park's review

I remember back when I was a kid, my dad rented a VHS (yes, the legendary VHS was real, young ones) cassette of an English movie. I thin
Ginger
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio
ALL THE STARS!

Holy smokes y'all, I did not realize the amount of differences in the book vs the movie!

And yes, I love the book much more then the movie now.
I've seen the movie 10 million times but the book of Jurassic Park is more dark, gritty and so well done! Kudos Michael Crichton on writing a classic that will last forever.

I decided to do audio on Jurassic Park and Scott Brick was the narrator. I'm super picky on narrators for audio books and I felt he did a great job.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Here
Brad
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Art
Matthew
C’mon! It’s Jurassic Park, man! It’s a classic – both book and movie!

Crichton is one of the kings of speculative sci-fi and how nature and science are to be respected (not trifled with!) Jurassic Park embodies all of these things and if it doesn’t both terrify you and make you think, you have likely missed the point.

One issue I have had with a lot of Crichton books is a great story with what feels to me like a poorly executed and unsatisfying ending. With Jurassic Park, that was not the case – I
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT A BOOK THAT BECAME ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO, GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND CHANGED THE WAY WE LOOKED AT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOREVER. IF YOU CONSIDER ANYTHING IN MY REVIEW A “SPOILER,” THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE YOU WERE CREATED IN A LAB FROM SOME FOSSILIZED AMBER.

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot of spare money lying around. By
Peter Topside
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The story is scary, action-packed, and kept me reading. Throughout the beginning and middle, there were a lot of similarities to the movie, but the entire last portion of the book was completely different, in a good way. Much like my opinion of Stephen King's IT and its 2017 film, I enjoyed both the book and movie here, despite having a great deal of differences between them. Despite having so many different dinosaurs and characters, I felt each had their own unique spotlight ...more
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
One of the rare times the movie is better

I love, love, love the amount of research put into the science. As a bio nerd, I love that it built off possibilities and expanded into something intense and thrilling.

But the characters were a little one-dimensional? Like they just existed to push the plot forward? And maybe it’s just because the movie handles tension SO well... this didn’t seem to? (You don’t have to stop and explain the science WHILE the Raptors are attacking, mkay?)

——————-
It’s possib
Johann (jobis89)
“Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.”

One of the easiest 5 star ratings I’ve ever handed out! Why did I not read Jurassic Park sooner?! The science, the dinosaurs, the tension, the grisly deaths, THE SCIENCE… worth mentioning twice… it all just worked for me. Highly entertaining and addictive from start to finish. Loved it!!

I’ve no doubt that some of the sc
Kon R.
Sep 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been many years since I've watched the movie and after reading this, I feel like I would be doing myself a disservice if didn't go watch it again. Someone pointed out that the book is adult horror in nature while the film was re-imagined for a larger audience. I will have to agree with that assessment because this book was downright terrifying at times. Sure, Crichton leaves some deaths to our imagination, but the ones he does describe are filthy and disgusting.

This is a classic that will
Lyn
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is most frequently the case, the book was better than the film.

And it was a really cool movie. Directed by Stephen Spielberg.

The section of Universal theme park in Orlando is fun too.

Michael Crichton’s 1990 genetically powered biological thriller combines an action packed adventure story with a cautionary tale of corporate, capitalistic greed gone wrong and rolls it all into a humanistic story with excellent characterization and that could be read as a powerful allegory of the harsh realities
Simeon
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Charles  van Buren

Language: English
ASIN: B007UH4D3G
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 4349
466 pages

I would guess that the majority of the people in the world have heard of JURASSIC PARK. However, the group of JURASSIC PARK related books, movies and merchandising has become a world wide phenomenon based upon the success of the movies not this novel. The novel is good but not good enough or app
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
“𝑮𝒐𝒅 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒐𝒔𝒂𝒖𝒓𝒔, 𝑮𝒐𝒅 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒔 𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒐𝒔𝒂𝒖𝒓𝒔, 𝑮𝒐𝒅 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒎𝒂𝒏, 𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒔 𝑮𝒐𝒅, 𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒐𝒔𝒂𝒖𝒓𝒔.”

My first Crichton read! 🙌

Now I know why this was such a groundbreaking novel.

The author writes with incredible detail and his characters are well developed.

He also spends a lot of time describing the surroundings which make it very suspenseful and atmospheric read.

There's also little diagrams and graphs in the particular version i was reading anyway relating to the story which makes the stor
karen
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
i haven't read this book in a long, long time, but i STILL managed a fine readalike list for it over on riffle, in what be my very last riffle list ever. ):

seak
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I guess I've always had my reservations because of what an impact the movie had on me as a kid. I was about 9 or 10 when the movie first came out and it blew my mind. As the book likes to point out, boys love dinosaurs and that was true.

As a side note, I'm loving how much my son (5 y.o.) loves dinosaurs. He knows so much more about them than I do, in fact his favorite is the Giganotosaurus, a dinosaur I learned existed from him.

(the hipster's T-Rex)

N
preoccupiedbybooks
That was an awesome audiobook!!!! Scott Brick did an amazing job!
I was 12 when I first saw this at the cinema, I loved it, and have watched every subsequent jurassic Park film. Chris Pratt anyone?! 👀
It was about time that I finally got around to reading the book which inspired Spielberg! I guess I was nervous, since I have enjoyed the films so much? Well I needn't have worried, this book was every bit as good as the film, although quite different in a lot of ways. The plot and action was actuall

• The Martian
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Shining
  • The Hobbit
  • Jaws (Jaws, #1)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • It
  • The Firm
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Starship Troopers
  • Deception Point
See top shelves…
Michael Crichton (1942-2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Doug ...more

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Logan Ramsay has unintentionally become a better version of himself.   As an agent for the Gene Protection Agency, Logan receives an upgrade to...
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 419 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 402 likes